A question of space and time?

Go to CruxDreams.com
Multiverse theory seems to me to be OK, if you allow for other dimensional constructs, probability theory, and causative schisms ...but will only be accepted by the body scientific when there is definitive evidence of same. Does make the problem of time-travel paradoxes much easier to handle for sci-fi authors though.
Multiverse Theory is in my eyes one of the most stupid ideas, however naturally one can work it out and actually one has to. I really recommend you to read the books of Alexander Unzicker and naturally the one of Hossenfelder to see not all is Sagan or this box champion guy, oh yes he is named deGrasse. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabine_Hossenfelder

Given our poor perspective (from a planet, in a solar system, in a nondescript spiral galaxy) with all those trillions of overlapping gravity wells messing up our viewpoint, causing time dilation viz-a-viz different locations, and comparative discrepancies in our observations of the intergalactic spaces we are looking at, I think any serious attempt at 'measurement' is impracticable .... especially using measurement mediums that are subject to the speed of light and all the limitations that implies.

If Einstein's relativity has taught us anything it's that Space and Time is infinitely malleable and shaped by Gravity. Nothing we observe at any moment in time can be taken as gospel ... in effect Shroedingers Cat exists not only at the quantum level, but also at the Relativistic Universe level.

Just in order to take the confusion to a new level here, I would like to mention that this quotation above seems to be the answer to a posting of mine, but it was not my posting!

My request to everyone in this highly esteemed audience:
Please do check that it is the right person when you quote someone.
I like to be quoted very much and I would appreciate very much when my immortal anecdotes would one day be quoted in the same breath with quotations of Shakespeare, Goethe, Russell, Einstein etc., but I would not like to be quoted when something could happen to me like to Galileo Galilei when he was quoted in front of Romes "High Inquisitor" in those days.
Thank you very much! :beer:

That said a lot of physics nowadays is venturing into metaphysics. Some of the ruminations are helpful, others not so much.

Multiverse theory seems to me to be OK, if you allow for other dimensional constructs, probability theory, and causative schisms ...but will only be accepted by the body scientific when there is definitive evidence of same. Does make the problem of time-travel paradoxes much easier to handle for sci-fi authors though.
About the multiverse. What if we are constantly destroying parallel realities? Staying with the literature: just like in novel Quarantine by Greg Egan. We means conscious observation.

Translated into simple thermodynamics : would this suggest that an amount matter has a lower entropy than the equivalent amount of energy?:confundio1:
Indeed, when it is reduced to a minimum, the transfer reverses exponentially and the universe starts to collapse.
The big crunch!!

Indeed, when it is reduced to a minimum, the transfer reverses exponentially and the universe starts to collapse.
The big crunch!!
Good! Then we will stand up from our graves, get younger and younger, and end up in the womb of our mothers, where we will shrink to a single egg shell, from which a single sperm cell will escape and swim away to the father's penis.

But pessimists say this will never happen, since the universe will die to degraded energy, too much diluted to allow any sort of big crunch.

Good! Then we will stand up from our graves, get younger and younger, and end up in the womb of our mothers, where we will shrink to a single egg shell, from which a single sperm cell will escape and swim away to the father's penis.

But pessimists say this will never happen, since the universe will die to degraded energy, too much diluted to allow any sort of big crunch.
Those pessimists, what do they know!! Ha ha!

These are the Voyages of the Starship Cruxforums.. its mission: to boldly go where no website has gone before… Lieutenant Barb, don’t touch that button.. yes that one.. I said DON’T… Aaagh! Abandon ship! To the escape pods, everyone! Mayday, mayday!
Two questions. What button and what’s a Ferengi? I seem to be have somehow transported to their planet.
96125B3A-EF7C-43D1-9B82-A0516E490189.jpeg

Some parts of human knowledge and wisdom seem to have been lost in time like in a wormhole and I thought, they will never come back. ... But probably we really should never say "never".

(This is just the introduction for something completely different but I do not know where to put it and I took this thread because Carl Sagan was mentioned here by me and he mentioned something which might be re-discovered in our life-time.)

In his book "Cosmos", Carl Sagan obviously wanted to write about everything which had any connection with astronomy and so he also wrote about ancient cosmology and landed in one chapter in the lost library of Alexandria, mentioning the incredible loss of wisdom and knowledge when this library burned down - partly because of the fanatism of early christians in that city around 415 A.D., who thought that they do not need all this "pagan stuff" any more.
Some scientists and historians believe that less than 0,1 % (!!!) of the ancient books / papyrii survived in the libraries of mankind and if you know that Sophokles wrote 124 dramas but only 7 survived, then you can imagine the loss.
What makes it a torture for scientists is also that some of the indexes and directories of ancient libraries survived, but not the books.
This is similar like we would know in 2000 years that Shakespeare is one of the greatest writers of all times and we know the titles of all his works and books, but only "Coriolan" and "Hamlet" survived - all his others like "Romeo & Juliet" would be lost!

But now there is new hope for a re-discovery of ancient wisdom. In my German language, there is this funny new word "Röntgenphasenkontrasttomografie" (= translated probably: "X-ray phase contrast tomography") and by using this, you can "fly" on a computer screen through an ancient papyri which almost turned to coal and ashes, found in the Roman lucury city Herculaneum, which was destroyed by the volcano Vesuv.
And there is probably one of the greatest Roman libraries still covered by the stones which once were the volcano's pyroclastic streams, but the papyrii from there look not so good:

Ashampoo_Snap_2021.10.27_00h35m34s_003_.jpg Ashampoo_Snap_2021.10.27_00h34m53s_002_.jpg Ashampoo_Snap_2021.10.27_00h34m14s_001_.jpg

During the last 20 years, there was archaeological research and this library seemed to have two floors more than anyone expected which are still covered by earth and stones from the volcano. No one really knows who was the owner of this library or if it was a public library but in one room were 50 chairs found which were arranged in a half-circle. We can assume that this "Villa dei Papiri" - as it is called in Italian - once was also used as a place for lectures and speeches.
This library was obviously also organized like a warehouse for books and a librarian looked first at the index and went then to the room in which he could find the book he was looking for. One room, which is known up to now, contained philosophical literature by and about the "Epicureans", but there are possibly still dozens if not hundreds of other rooms with other kinds of literature buried under earth - or in the worst case: under earth and under water because this "Villa dei Papiri" might today have floors under the sea level (please, please no!).

The article about this research in German:

There are so many hidden secrets in this world and universe to be discovered for a curious mind like mine and I sometimes would like to live a thousand years only to see these secrets discovered. (Sigh!)

Last edited:
Related to this deep discussion -

A Plane Conversation

A stranger was seated next to a little girl on the airplane when the stranger turned to her and said, "Let ́s talk. I've heard that flights go quicker if you strike up a conversation with your fellow passenger.?"

The little girl, who had just opened her book, closed it slowly and said to the stranger, "What would you like to talk about?"
Oh, I don't know", said the stranger. Then trying to impress the little girl, he said, "How about nuclear power?"

"OK," she said. "That could be an interesting topic, but let me ask you a question first. A horse, a cow, and a deer all eat grass, the same stuff. Yet a deer excretes little pellets, while a cow turns out a flat patty, and a horse produces clumps of dried grass. Why do you suppose that is?"
The stranger thinks about it and says, "Hmmm, I have no idea,"

To which the little girl replies, "Do you really feel qualified to discuss nuclear power when you don't know shit?"

Related to this deep discussion -

A Plane Conversation

A stranger was seated next to a little girl on the airplane when the stranger turned to her and said, "Let ́s talk. I've heard that flights go quicker if you strike up a conversation with your fellow passenger.?"

The little girl, who had just opened her book, closed it slowly and said to the stranger, "What would you like to talk about?"
Oh, I don't know", said the stranger. Then trying to impress the little girl, he said, "How about nuclear power?"

"OK," she said. "That could be an interesting topic, but let me ask you a question first. A horse, a cow, and a deer all eat grass, the same stuff. Yet a deer excretes little pellets, while a cow turns out a flat patty, and a horse produces clumps of dried grass. Why do you suppose that is?"
The stranger thinks about it and says, "Hmmm, I have no idea,"

To which the little girl replies, "Do you really feel qualified to discuss nuclear power when you don't know shit?"
I hate it when I’m about to open a good book on an airplane and my neighbor wants to chat. One doesn’t want to be rude, but ….

Back
Top Bottom