A question to all!!!!

Go to CruxDreams.com

Mkr

R.I.P.
Hi,
I have a question to all members.
Do WE really need this forum?
Activity here is next to zero.
As long as we have Cruxfoundation forum, do we really need another one which seems to be dead most of time?
It's not a matter of money we pay for it, not at all.
But when somebody post a pic or a story at Cruxfoundation, there are 10 feedback posts a day. And none here for days and weeks.
Plus, I'm sure that the crowd here and there is the same.
Tell me what you think.
I'm waiting for moderators to speak.
No rush.

Makar

These forums are indeed quite slow in comparison with Cruxfoundation.

But to call them dead? No, there is activity, but we could merge some forums together..
Most of them even have the same name and thus are targetted at the same messages.

Let's use the CW group as template and add some extra subfora group:
Foreign language forum would be one idea..

The CW group could be renamed then as Cruxforums.. with the topics of the other forums copied into it.

This would make it easier for users to find stuff they like.
CruxForums is too fragmented at the moment

Well that's my opinion, anyone is encouraged to react, without users input a forum is nothing.

Regards,
Inge

Mkr said:
and as visitor from both ? :( +3???????????????????????

Hans

Don't be sarcastic. Up to now, we have 3 (THREE) responses to a "critical" message in all the forums for 24 hours. Doesn't it ring a bell?

Makar & Inge (& cruxforums)--

It is easy for me to say the following things, but I do not work at the moderation or worry about administrating the group.

If money is OK & the moderators are willing to moderate? Why not? But I can accept if money, time & patience run out-- people and groups can have their batteries run low.

There are some posts and links that are here and not elsewhere. One large, well-moderated group could be enough for everyone interested in crux. But people are sometimes awkward and can't keep still even in a comfortable chair. =) Members of that large Crux Foundation may imagine that there is no room to speak up or interrupt the people talking on the stage. Cruxforums is a safety valve.

Several years ago, someone new started up a "Nailed feet" group on Yahoo. Mostly crux, of course. There were soon several hundred members, some familiar names, but also there was manipulation art and drawings from people who had not posted at the other yahoo groups.

The cruxgroups do have a history of sudden disappearances. Having another location as an emergency cruxgroup message center is also good.

More active members: Most of the webgroups in Yahoo & Google and similar servers have "links" pages at their group location. Would it be possible to ask people to post Cruxforums on the link pages for crux-friendly groups? Or even ask for a link or recommendation at CruxFoundation?

Best wishes
Yusebby Deliny

To Yusebby Deliny: I see your point.It might be a good idea to post a link to Cruxforums at Cruxfoundation or else where (just in case the crux community needs a safe haven again). The problem here is that Cruxforums are somehow associated with Cruxdreams.com, although we do not interfere with moderators, do not introduce cencorship etc. And yet, I don't think that Master of nails would be happy to place a link to such an "engaged" site.
We'll see. As I said before: no rush. Nobody is going to close the shop tomorrow or next week....

Stay in touch

I'm an admin over at the Foundation, but due to where I live and the conservative firewall we have here, I'm blocked from access to it now unless I'm back in the US. However, I can still get to Crux Forums - for the moment - so I'm happy it's here. I still have this window into the Crux community, even though I know it's only a matter of time until they find this site too and block it.

In my opinion, reducing the number of forums here will have zero effect on participation. The people who will respond will do it whether there are ten forums here or two. On any of these groups, the ones who actually post are probably 5% or less of the membership.

Jedakk

I know i don't be supposed to reply i'm a normal user.
All i would like is to give you some advices because as an I.T. i have been an administraor of many forums a lot more complcated that this.
Firts thing i noticed is that is difficult to find tings and posts too for users.
To avoid it in my forums i made a section called files whit the needed subsections on this forum could be
File-->Stories - Illustrated stories - image (pics) and so on whit others sections.
Another thing is General topic , is the black hole of every forum, topics are not in evidence and people will make double post because simply they don't check previous pages.
Then this topic means to me that you don't have an hidden section where only admin and mod can access and discuss about issues.
Last thing wich is personal i really found uncofortable here everthing is made like this is "our stuff" whic of course will cause many people to leve and as who open this tread pointed NO REPLIES. (i log in every day and i saw)
Pepole will log just to try to grab some files and look aroud.
Whit al the due respect, and i beg you pardon if i'm so blunt.
Change or close.
The other forum cruxfoundation in whic i'm a member is a mess too merging two mess create only a bigger mess.
My view is that the best option is work hard and upgrade PHP and SQL first, server is in error to many times, then create sections, subsction, restore smilies, create a welcome area and make feel peolpe at home then adjust things basing on esigence during time.
Different laguange idea will not work and create only more confusion i know that because of experience i'm 39 years old and i work as I.T. form around 20 years.
Menaging a forum it's not easy there are tons of settings to do and someone who look at this whit professional eyes will go away.
Check your main sponsor for example, privacy page, contact page , terms of service,refound policy links don't work, only people who don't know how to deal whit the net will became a member, thoes mistakes are what keep people away.
Kinds Regards
Jack

111jack said:
I know i don't be supposed to reply i'm a normal user.
All i would like is to give you some advices because as an I.T. i have been an administraor of many forums a lot more complcated that this.
Firts thing i noticed is that is difficult to find tings and posts too for users.
To avoid it in my forums i made a section called files whit the needed subsections on this forum could be
File-->Stories - Illustrated stories - image (pics) and so on whit others sections.
Another thing is General topic , is the black hole of every forum, topics are not in evidence and people will make double post because simply they don't check previous pages.
Then this topic means to me that you don't have an hidden section where only admin and mod can access and discuss about issues.
Last thing wich is personal i really found uncofortable here everthing is made like this is "our stuff" whic of course will cause many people to leve and as who open this tread pointed NO REPLIES. (i log in every day and i saw)
Pepole will log just to try to grab some files and look aroud.
Whit al the due respect, and i beg you pardon if i'm so blunt.
Change or close.
The other forum cruxfoundation in whic i'm a member is a mess too merging two mess create only a bigger mess.
My view is that the best option is work hard and upgrade PHP and SQL first, server is in error to many times, then create sections, subsction, restore smilies, create a welcome area and make feel peolpe at home then adjust things basing on esigence during time.
Different laguange idea will not work and create only more confusion i know that because of experience i'm 39 years old and i work as I.T. form around 20 years.
Menaging a forum it's not easy there are tons of settings to do and someone who look at this whit professional eyes will go away.
Check your main sponsor for example, privacy page, contact page , terms of service,refound policy links don't work, only people who don't know how to deal whit the net will became a member, thoes mistakes are what keep people away.
Kinds Regards
Jack

Just over 12 months ago this site suffered a second devastating hit. It has been gradually rebuilt from the ashes by people like ourselves who are very fond of this site. The whole tone of your letter is patronizing and condescending to say the least as you obviously have not given any thought to the people who do regularly use this site for entertainment and education. It may not be your idea of perfect but you are only looking at it from a technical point of view. I personally prefer it to the Foundation because that site has only two options for posting and besides I find this site more friendly. It isn't that difficult to navigate around this site. There is a search function and you can track people's posts.
The model you hint at through your "expert" eyes is far too prescriptive for the kind of people who use this site. It doesn't really matter if you end up posting in the "wrong" section. Anyone in doubt can easily contact
the moderators who will be only too happy to help.
I really don't know what you are getting at with your "our stuff" comment. As far as i am aware nothing on this site is "ours" or "theirs" or "don't copy" and I have never seen NO REPLIES. Could you please explain your comments.
As far as "change or close" is concerned you also have an option. If you don't like the site you can stay or leave. Pardon me for being blunt.
As far as the server is concerned it is a very rare occasion when anyone has a problem either up or downloading.
You say that someone with professional eyes would look at this site and go away. What on Earth is that supposed to mean? Are such people going to be missed by the Forum members?
Your last sentence "Check your main sponsor for example, privacy page, contact page , terms of service,refound policy links don't work, only people who don't know how to deal whit the net will became a member, thoes mistakes are what keep people away. " is rubbish. You say that only people who don't know how to deal with the net will become a member...so what are you doing here then?
As far as your option of Change or close is concerned my reply would be NUTS!

Mel'n'Julie

I understand that everting could sound polemic, instead of be considerated crictic to improve things make this forum good and friendly.
Your reaction is normal and confirm also what i wrote about "our stuff" , and the typical fear that everyone experience when asked to change something.
My "style" that you consider like making a lecture to everyone, came from the way i work, customers want perfection and no excuses, everthing has to work no matter if you have a problem, this influence my attitude and often is mistaken for arrogance so i'm sorry for that.
I will try to reply to your questions (whit my limIted english)
First is technical things, the search funcion don't work at all, you can search only for yours post or new posts of course if you are new all posts are new so you have to read everthing, to set search options it takes 10 seconds under admin panel.
Then every time i edit a post because i found i made a typing error and press submit i have an sql error message , uploading files is a kind of lottery if you are lucky it works otherwise not, the server automatically create a log of every errors, if you want just have a look at it.
I insited previusly on techincal stuff because is the base of everthing not because i want thing as i like, all i said is that i know how things are supposed to work and they are made for a purpose, to make it clear i don't use a Ferrari to go off road, because i know it will not work and i will destroy it.
Creating order don't means that you will spend your life moving topics, it means that people will know to put things where they have to be, if you have 100 boxes and on one of them there is a write, for example "shoes" only someone who can't read will put shoes in anothers boxes, in my closet i put coat on the left not whit pants and all others sort of clothes.
For no replies your have the fact in front of your eyes, i made two posts, in the second one i posted a story under file section and asked to PLEASE let me know if is something that people like, check yourslef how many answers there are.
For "our stuff" i mean that eveything sound for new people like stay away this is my topic our forum our business, it's hard to explane is a feeling i have, and the attitude you got on this reply can be an exemple you told me that if i don't like things as they are i can go away, instead of asking yourself how can i make people feel more confortable ,is it so hard to fix at list smilies so the forum would not look like abadonate.
About sponsor page what i mean is if you buy something usually you want to know about it, if you have support and others things that could intrests you.
The fact about professional eyes catch errors and go away, it means in other words, that if everthing looks like a "dismissed house" people would not get inside, and your question about why i'm here if so, is because it cost me nothing to join so i triyed and i didn't left, only because i thought that there was nice people and in the hope to find someone who have same intrests.
Mine was only advices and should be taken as they are, i have been really blunt just because i allways say what i think and my english is quite bad so i often use words that are not appropriate, please don't take it personal and the fact that i posted here means that i have care about this forum.
Of course i will delete my subscrtion if you like and don't came anymore.
Kinds regards.
Jack

Hello everybody
This is one of my tech forum is in Italian don't mind at it, just look at how is made this is what i mean for having more order.
http://www.megalab.it/forum/forum.html
Believe me it's not so hard to do so, and our users and arguments are much much more than here.
Kinds regards
Jack

Mkr said:
Thanx a lot! God bless...
You are welcome.
What makes me feel bad is jonesygirl reply all i wrote here was for the good of this forum i hope everybody will get this.
Greetings
Jack

Hi,
If there is anyone out there that I haven't upset then please be patient and wait your turn! 8)
Seriously though having invested some time on this site it was a bit upsetting to see the advice "change or close" being given to the site manager (?) There may have been something lost in translation but I simply read it as either/or. I am certainly not against change. Last year we caught Makar online and asked for editing facilities for ordinary members which was quickly granted. I would like to see the smilies restored and perhaps some of those animated gifs they use on the dark spot. I'd also like to see a sticky technical page where you can look up hints, tips, links etc to programs like Photoshop, Poser, Powerdirector etc. People on this site are very good at sharing knowledge but it often gets buried and soon lost. The DarkSpot may be well set out but frankly the content leaves a lot to be desired.
They are always bringing in change in schools. I once posted a notice taken from a quote by Petronius.

“We trained hard, but it seemed that every time we were beginning to form up into teams, we would be reorganized. I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by reorganizing; and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion, inefficiency, and demoralization.â€

The Head never did find out who pinned it up :lol:

Best wishes from me and Mel

jonesygirl said:
Hi,
If there is anyone out there that I haven't upset then please be patient and wait your turn! 8)
Seriously though having invested some time on this site it was a bit upsetting to see the advice "change or close" being given to the site manager (?) There may have been something lost in translation but I simply read it as either/or. I am certainly not against change. Last year we caught Makar online and asked for editing facilities for ordinary members which was quickly granted. I would like to see the smilies restored and perhaps some of those animated gifs they use on the dark spot. I'd also like to see a sticky technical page where you can look up hints, tips, links etc to programs like Photoshop, Poser, Powerdirector etc. People on this site are very good at sharing knowledge but it often gets buried and soon lost. The DarkSpot may be well set out but frankly the content leaves a lot to be desired.
They are always bringing in change in schools. I once posted a notice taken from a quote by Petronius.
“We trained hard, but it seemed that every time we were beginning to form up into teams, we would be reorganized. I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by reorganizing; and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion, inefficiency, and demoralization.â€
The Head never did find out who pinned it up :lol:
Best wishes from me and Mel
Dear Jones and Mel
I got the point there has been a misunderstanding on "change or close" i dind't mean to shut down forum, i copy it from a sentence whic i thought was a "modo di dire" i think the right word is "slang".
By the way we are both on same view now and positive attitude is the best begin to solve problems.
You didn't upset me at all and i don't keep rancor, upsetting problems are in real everyday life, this means also that you have another turn :lol:.
From what you said i got that you are aware of all problems and possibly changes the point is that you need someone who know how to menage a board.
Awever all things you mencioned are easy to correct especially the smilies whic have to be uploaded on a specifc folder inside the server and then selctect by the admin panel , this would alredy give an aspect totally different.
I suggest you look at this site : http://www.phpbb.com/community/ here you will find many procedures whitout became crazy.
My adivce is as first thing to do a backup if you are not sure of what are you doing then do things step by step don't try to change everthing in one day just make some littel modfy and test them.
First thing i personally would change is the creation of section if you look at the forum i posted, even if is in italian, you can easly imagine this one.
Pictures , stories , and everthing you mencioned can be put in their sections, there is also a very useful tool on the board, sections can be hidden so you can create two forums whitout letting people notice it, then when you have finished to copy posts swich it to the new layout, board will be off line just 10 seconds.
The board has so many commands that is diffcult to menage and remember i sometime get lost on the admin panel but i gurantee you that this kind of boards gives you all tools you need to create what you want.
Another thing is being patient i spent days alone settings boards, and change them on customers requests, i know the drill, long hours of work, but the positive side is that once you get familiar whit things everthing is easy.
Kind Regards
Jack

Back
Top Bottom