Against All Odds: A Gilded Age Romance

Go to CruxDreams.com
Epilogue:

Mr. James J Moore

462 Summit Avenue

St. Paul, Minnesota

November 29, 1893.

Dear Father:

I hope you are well, despite all that has happened in the past year and a half. I think moving back to Minnesota was a wise choice, even if it’s St. Paul rather than Duluth. Neither you nor I really belonged in New York high society and trying to fit in brought out the worst in both of us, I am afraid.

I must confess that I spent much of the time since I last saw you being very angry with you for having sent me to that horrible place. Believe me, everything that the newspapers said about it was true, and worse. It was a very good thing that the state medical board responded to the complaints that were made and shut the place down.

But, in thinking about it, I have come to realize that you sent me there, however misguidedly, because you loved me and wanted a good life for life for me according to your idea of what that was. You were certainly not the only parent who was fooled by Dr. Darwin. The parents of all the other girls who were there with me and those that had been there before were all taken in as well. Too bad that Darwin somehow managed to sneak out of the country. The man ought to be in jail.

The truth is that his treatment doesn’t work. In fact, if it had ever worked, that would be a tragedy. Sexual desire is natural and beautiful, not a thing to be avoided or suppressed. When people love each other, like Stan and I do, they want to express that love with their bodies as well as their minds. To not desire that would be a terrible shame and I am thankful every day that I want Stan as much as he wants me and we can provide so much joy to each other.

Father, I know you wanted me to pick Archibald Vandergrift rather than Stan Goldman. And to tell you the truth, I was torn. Archie was and is a decent man and I did like him very much. We recently got a letter from him. He married Hazel Baumann, the girl with whom I escaped from the Darwin Institute, and they are living happily in Pittsburgh. I am so glad for both of them. They deserve one another.

But, as hard as it might be for you to understand, I didn’t ache for him the way I did and do for Stan. Surely, you must know that I took so many risks and broke so many of your rules because I wanted Stan more than anything in the world. In the end, I went with my heart.

And I am not sorry that I did. I truly believe that if you got to know Stan, you would like him. Despite the differences in your backgrounds, I think you would find that you have a lot in common.

Anyway, as you can tell from the postmark, we are living in California, Los Angeles, or as people here call it, LA, to be precise. How we got here is a long story. We left New York in a hurry, as you know. I wanted to say goodbye to you, but I was deathly afraid that you would send me back to that awful Institute.

So, we hopped on the train and headed west, all the way to California. First, we stayed in San Francisco for a while. Stan got a job in accounting with Levi Strauss-you know the company that makes blue jeans, like some of the lumberjacks and miners who worked for you wore. They’re Jewish, like Stan and liked his experience on Wall Street. Mr. Levi told Stan that he believes one day everybody will wear jeans, not just miners and lumberjacks. That seems a bit crazy to me, but who knows, right?

It was at that time that Stan began to believe that the economy and the stock market were headed for a fall. We had noticed that the train heading west was almost empty and we talked to some of the porters and stewards about that. They felt that too many railroads had been built after the Civil War and knew that many of them were losing money and kept afloat by borrowing.

So, Stan wrote back to his old friends and colleagues on Wall Street, discussing some ideas with them. They were skeptical at first, but he and I convinced them and they took short positions in a number of railroad stocks and some other equities as well. Yes, you read that right; Stan discussed the whole market situation with me and it turns out that your daughter inherited some of your business smarts. I caught on right away and encouraged him and even added some ideas of my own. Imagine that- gambler Stan Goldman needing me to push him to take risks!

Then, as you well know, in February, the Philadelphia and Reading Railroad went under and in May, the Panic struck and the whole market tumbled and kept going down. Stan and his friends made quite a bit of money from their short positions when they finally closed them out.

I know, Father, that you lost money in that Panic and lost more when the prices of iron ore and timber fell. I feel awful about that, truly, and about all the men who are out of work because of it. At least you had enough to buy a nice house in St. Paul, with a prestigious address as you sought to do so earnestly for us in New York and hopefully, things will come back eventually. Good business sense, which you have always had in abundance, will always prevail.

After that, Stan quit his job and we decided to move down here to Los Angeles. San Francisco was cold and foggy and it’s much warmer and sunnier here. We bought some land northwest of the city in the area that the locals call Hollywood. There are hills and trees and we have horses!

I have taught Stan to ride. All that time he spent around horses at the race track and he’d never ridden one until recently. But he’s not bad. Some of the ranch hands around here, whose families came up from Mexico many years ago call him “El Vaquero Judio”, the Jewish cowboy.

We’re looking to buy more land around here. It’s so lovely and the weather is so nice almost all the time, we’re quite certain that people from all over are going to move here and that the land will appreciate in value.

For one, I heard from Kristina. You remember her, the Swedish maid at the Plaza. She was very helpful and kind to me, so much so that she and I became close during those long lonely weeks at the Plaza, and I’ve stayed in touch with her even though you had her fired. She has married Mario, the desk clerk at the Plaza. I strongly advised against her doing that, as he is a very shady character, but she ignored my advice and fell in love with him. And they are happy together, like Stan and me. Love conquers all you see. Anyway, they are thinking of moving out here. Mario wants to open an Italian restaurant and he feels there are already too many of those in New York. I’ll bet his restaurant would be a good business investment for someone.

Father, I’ve saved the most important news for last, so I hope you are still reading. Two weeks ago, I gave birth to a beautiful baby boy! So, you are a grandfather now! His name is Samuel Goldman, after Stan’s paternal grandfather, who stayed behind in the old country and has since passed away without ever having met Stan.

We would love to have you come out and meet him. There is also the matter that Stan and I would love to be able to get married so that little Sam can be fully legitimate. As you know, being only nineteen, I am unable to marry without your permission. Of course, I can wait another year and a bit until I am twenty one and can do so on my own, or you can give your permission in a letter (our address is on the envelope), but think how nice it would be if you would come out here and we can do a real family wedding, maybe even with Stan’s parents from Ohio.

Please, I miss you very much and hope that you will accept our invitation. Little Samuel looks very much like you and you will adore him, I promise. Until then, I am your loving daughter,

Barbara…

THE END​

A note to our epilogue

At 4.5 miles in length, St. Paul’s Summit Avenue is home to the longest stretch of Victorian homes in the United States. Laid out in the 1850s on the heights overlooking the city’s central business district and busy Mississippi River waterfront, the long stately avenue was attractive as a place of residence to many of those who made their fortunes on exploiting the vast resources of the Midwest during America’s so-called Gilded Age.

Beginning in the 1880s a great building boom took place along the length of the avenue, with fine houses featuring all the architectural styles of the times, including Queen Anne, Romanesque and Tudor Revival. Homes were notably designed as long rows instead of compact blocks, making Summit an ideal promenade street for horse-drawn carriage rides. Rampant residential development also made the neighborhood a preferred spot for colleges and religious institutions.

9C5349CC-A8A9-4C78-ADA2-D89524B1802A.jpeg

The most famous home of this construction boom was the James J. Hill house built in 1891 in Richardsonian Romanesque style. Owned by James J. Hill, a wildly successful railroad tycoon known appropriately as the “Empire Builder”, and to whom the fictional James J Moore of our story bears some passing resemblance, the 36,000-square-foot property at 240 Summit Avenue spans three lots and touts arguably the most desirable view of downtown Saint Paul. The 42-room mansion cost Hill $931,275 at the turn of the century (equivalent to around $22 million now,

1F995E15-7944-463C-9C11-8E79E54FBF68.jpeg

Today, 373 of the original 440 homes remain—a retention statistic unheard of across American architecture. Summit Avenue wasn’t unique in its time, every major city once boasted a mansion-lined promenade street. For New York City, it was Fifth Avenue. For Chicago, Prairie Avenue. Even Minneapolis had its own in Park Avenue. The difference is, while those cities tore down their iconic structures to make way for new developments, Saint Paul preserved its historic avenue

Summit’s grand houses were not appreciated by all. Saint Paul’s own F. Scott Fitzgerald, who lived at 599 Summit Avenue, once described the stretch as “a mausoleum of American architectural monstrosities”, and world-famous architect Frank Lloyd Wright dubbed it “the worst collection of architecture in the world”—Wright was not fond of copying European styles and sought to create uniquely American architecture.

Not all of its denizens were captains of industry. Sinclair Lewis, a Nobel Prize-winning Minnesota writer, once lived in the Italian-Renaissance house located at 516 Summit (seen below). And humorist Garrison Keillor of “The Prairie Home Companion” fame is a modern day resident.

DAE847B6-8E58-4B4A-9E74-30A644D95EAA.jpeg

Last edited:
We’re looking to buy more land around here. It’s so lovely and the weather is so nice almost all the time, we’re quite certain that people from all over are going to move here and that the land will appreciate in value.
Could happen …. :rolleyes: …. $$$$$$$

For weeks, we`ve been entertained,
Complex plots, neatly explained.
But make no mistake,
The icing on the cake,
Is Barb being tawsed, whipped and caned.

Thanks to you both, for a great story which has kept us engaged for so long, many of us will be missing our daily fix now.

Epilogue:
Very good epilogue, both the form and the content!:clapping::clapping:

Father, I know you wanted me to pick Archibald Vandergrift rather than Stan Goldman. And to tell you the truth, I was torn. Archie was and is a decent man and I did like him very much. We recently got a letter from him. He married Hazel Baumann, the girl with whom I escaped from the Darwin Institute, and they are living happily in Pittsburgh. I am so glad for both of them. They deserve one another.

Hazel could become some kind of 'deus ex machina'?:thinking::confundio1:
Told you : Hazel as deus ex machina! One felt, Archie would not be left behind with empty hands!:D

For weeks, we`ve been entertained,
Complex plots, neatly explained.
But make no mistake,
The icing on the cake,
Is Barb being tawsed, whipped and caned.

Thanks to you both, for a great story which has kept us engaged for so long, many of us will be missing our daily fix now.
A very entertaining story you have presented! I read each chapter with delight.!!!
Not a lot to say that hasn't already been said ... a wonderful tale of superb atmospheric evocation, interweaved with lashings of erotica in the manner that we here on CF always appreciate. Bravo to both Barb and Windy, excellent stuff as always ... Thank you guys! :ARMS1::ARMS1:
Very good epilogue, both the form and the content!:clapping::clapping:

Told you : Hazel as deus ex machina! One felt, Archie would not be left behind with empty hands!:D
Thanks all! It was great fun to write, so we're glad it was fun to read as well!

Lashings of erotica? This place does sound like just the ticket for some fun in the sun...

It was a very good thing that the state medical board responded to the complaints that were made and shut the place down.
It was an excellent thing! :dancer2:

Too bad that Darwin somehow managed to sneak out of the country.
Booooo! :crybaby2:

The truth is that his treatment doesn’t work. In fact, if it had ever worked, that would be a tragedy. Sexual desire is natural and beautiful, not a thing to be avoided or suppressed. When people love each other, like Stan and I do, they want to express that love with their bodies as well as their minds. To not desire that would be a terrible shame and I am thankful every day that I want Stan as much as he wants me and we can provide so much joy to each other.
Well said, Barb! :clap:

He married Hazel Baumann, the girl with whom I escaped from the Darwin Institute, and they are living happily in Pittsburgh. I am so glad for both of them. They deserve one another.
Sweet! Archie, you did fine. I think Barb would have been a bit hot for you to handle. ;)

Please, I miss you very much and hope that you will accept our invitation.

I fear that Mr Moore is unlikely to swallow that much humble pie, but you never know....

This was so well plotted - it was impossible to predict. Okay, we all knew that Stan would get his girl in the end, but who could have guessed the twists and turns on the way. But the whole journey was enormous fun, and thank you both so much for going to the time and trouble to contruct so much enjoyment for us!

I can't wait to read more about Dr Darwin. He might show up in Paris at a psychology convention, which was a rising science at the time, with a public demonstration and exhibition to prove to his peers his methods really work.

Were also interesting : the notes to the episodes.

A little contribution from my side. What is named ‘the Guilded Age’ in the US, has a counterpart in continental Europe : the Belle-Epoque, the beautiful era.

The name itself has been created on hindsight, after the First World War, for the era that preceded it. A lot of nostalgia.

Although a result of many developments since 1860-1870, the symbolic starting point of the Belle-Epoque was the world fair in 1889 in Paris (featuring the Eiffel Tower). It ended abruptly in August 1914.

Actually, both the Gilded Age and the Belle-Epoque coincide with the Second Industrial Revolution. This was a revolution, first of all based on the use of electric power, but also of chemistry (including the first synthetic materials), and the development of the internal combustion engine. These inventions lead to immense industrial growth. Trade boomed. European countries came to the peak of their power, creating colonial empires that span the world.

A new wealthy class came up, a class that traveled. Bathing stations came to exist. It was a bourgeois class, conservative, with conservative tastes. A class characterized by self-confidence, that soon turned into self-complacency. Until, on an April night, an ‘unsinkable’ luxury liner hit an iceberg in the Northern Atlantic.

Of course, wealth was not for all. There was still a lot of sheer poverty, particularly among the working class. Even worse, segments of middle class craftspeople saw their metier or trade disappear by the new economical and industrial developments and were forced (or their children were) to go work in the factories. A social setback, that would take two generations, half a century to recover from.

A little contribution from my side. What is named ‘the Guilded Age’ in the US, has a counterpart in continental Europe : the Belle-Epoque, the beautiful era.

The name itself has been created on hindsight, after the First World War, for the era that preceded it. A lot of nostalgia.

Although a result of many developments since 1860-1870, the symbolic starting point of the Belle-Epoque was the world fair in 1889 in Paris (featuring the Eiffel Tower). It ended abruptly in August 1914.

Actually, both the Gilded Age and the Belle-Epoque coincide with the Second Industrial Revolution. This was a revolution, first of all based on the use of electric power, but also of chemistry (including the first synthetic materials), and the development of the internal combustion engine. These inventions lead to immense industrial growth. Trade boomed. European countries came to the peak of their power, creating colonial empires that span the world.

A new wealthy class came up, a class that traveled. Bathing stations came to exist. It was a bourgeois class, conservative, with conservative tastes. A class characterized by self-confidence, that soon turned into self-complacency. Until, on an April night, an ‘unsinkable’ luxury liner hit an iceberg in the Northern Atlantic.

Of course, wealth was not for all. There was still a lot of sheer poverty, particularly among the working class. Even worse, segments of middle class craftspeople saw their metier or trade disappear by the new economical and industrial developments and were forced (or their children were) to go work in the factories. A social setback, that would take two generations, half a century to recover from.
Yes, it was an age of transformative inventions. There are historians and economists who believe that despite the talk of rapid innovation in our current era, the changes to our daily lives are minor compared to those that happened back then. An app to order pizza vs. the telephone or electric light.

But our current wealth distribution resembles that of the Gilded Age with great fortunes and little of the growth trickling down and the concetration of power in oligopolies in so many areas.

Thanks for this note, Lox! It was an interesting era. So many changes happening.

I also did a bit search about the year 1892 in history.

Politics/society

Grover Cleveland is elected for a second term as US president, nonconsecutive with his fist one (1885-1889). The receiving station for immigrants on Ellis Island (New York) opens. The Dalton Brothers are shot in Coffeyville, marking the end of the Wild West era.

Science and technology :

The Diesel engine is patented. The same for the telephone rotary dial, which makes automation of the networks possible, and for the crown cork. The first description of a virus.

Sports :

Baron de Coubertin launches the idea of modern Olympics. The fist public basket ball match is played. The first edition of the oldest road racing classic still held today : Liège-Bastogne-Liège.

Arts and literature :

The premiere of Tchaikovsky’s Nutcracker.

Among the notorious people who died that year, were German inventor Werner von Siemens, French fashion designer Louis Vuitton, and poet Alfred Tennyson.

Many of the boys born in 1892 would be drafted to the armies and perish in the Great War 1914-1918. The most notorious of them born in 1892, was Manfred von Richthofen, aka The Red Baron, who was killed in action in 1918. Many military who survived, made career and came into action again in the WW2, like Air Marshall Trafford Leigh-Mallory (Battle of Britain), and his German opponent, Field Marshall Erhard Milch, Air Marshall Arthur ‘Bomber’ Harris, Japanese admiral Yamagushi (highest ranked officer killed in action in the Battle of Midway)

Other 1892 born would shape society in one or another way during much of the upcoming 20th century. Future political leaders were General Franco (Spain), Emperor Haile Selasie of Ethiopia, Yugoslav resistance leader and later president Josip Broz Tito, Austrian chancellors Engelbert Dolfuss (murdered by Nazis in a failed coup, 1936) and Arthur Seyss-Inquart (putting up the Anschluss from Austrian side; was hanged at Nürnberg), Zita of Bourbon-Parma, the illustrious ‘last empress’ of Austria-Hungary, Gregor Strasser (early ally of Hitler, but notorious victim of the ‘Night of the Long Knives’), American politicians Wendell Wilkie and James Forrestal, Rvd. Martin Niemöller, famous opponent of Hitler.

Industrialist John Paul Getty, French aircraft industrialist Marcel Dassault,

French quantum physicist and Nobel Prize winner Louis de Broglie, Robert Watson-Watt (inventor of radar), Belgian physiologist Corneille Heymans and American physician William Murphy (both Noble Prize for Medicine).

French aviators Dieudonné Costes (first successful southern Atlantic and westbound northern Atlantic crossings) and Charles Nungesser (WWI ace, disappeared in 1927 over the Atlantic)

Illustrious people in arts were American author Pearl Buck, British author J.R.R. Tolkien, Swiss-French composer Arthur Honegger, French composers Darius Milhaud and Germaine Tailleferre (both from the Groupe des Six).

Movies would only be ‘invented’ in 1895. Were born in 1892 : actress and studio founder Mary Pickford, producer Jack Warner, producer Hal Roach, comedian Oliver Hardy.

Of all the people mentioned above, Empress Zita lived the longest. She died in 1989. Her husband Karl became heir to the throne of Austria-Hungary, after the event that sparked the end of the Belle-Epoque : the assassination of the first in succession, Archduke Franz-Ferdinand, in Sarajevo, 1914. Amidst the war, Emperor Franz-Joseph II died, in 1916, and Karl succeeded him, just to see the empire collapse. In 1918, he was forced to abdicate, but later on kept trying to get his throne back, not least under pressure of Zita, who refused to accept the abdication. Karl was finally banned to Madeira, where he died in 1922. The remainder of her long life, Zita kept defending the imperial claims of her family, a relic of a long gone epoch.

Back
Top Bottom