Alice Kiss - Crux Legend

Go to CruxDreams.com
'St. Eulalia of Merida'

ddzbw95-da4d23b3-afb1-484f-ae98-b36faa123d5d.jpg

(Image hosted on DeviantArt - https://www.deviantart.com/mahashiva001/art/St-Eulalia-of-Merida-845401865 )​

A new Alice picture from an established Alice manip artist is always an exciting affair, especially when the subject is a high quality crux manipulation! Published on DeviantArt earlier today, Mahashiva's 'St. Eulalia of Merida' perpetuates the tradition in which the character of Eulalia is portrayed by Alice. And so, this popular Cruxdreams star continues to aspire to the title of the 'Most Manipulated Makar Model' - certainly in Shiva's gallery, where other Cruxdreams girls make only rare appearances.

This time, it is the historical virgin martyr, Eulalia of Merida, who is being portrayed, in the dramatic, final moments of her short life. The saint is, of course, closely associated with the identity of our own Eulalia, who uses the 'Merida' suffix in her name on DeviantArt. Indeed, she has already provided the historical background to the picture in her complimentary notes to Shiva -

'She was a spunky youngster whose parents sent her off to a safe house in the mountains when the persecution of Christians ordered by Diocletian was starting, but she wasn't going to miss out on martyrdom - she clambered out of the house by night and made her way down to the city where she confronted the magistrate, haranguing him on his sinfulness. The poor magistrate tried to reason with her, but she only spat at him, so he had her whipped, she thanked him for 'writing the praises of God in purple on my parchment' (purple prose was of course reserved for sycophantic addresses to the Emperor); next she was stretched on the 'little horse', a kind of rack, and torn with hooks - she thanked them for 'carving the sign of the cross on my breasts'; then she was tied between two pillars with burning braziers on either side of her to roast her, she shook her long hair so it caught fire, so they threw her naked body out on the cold stone paving of the Forum (it was December), a shower of snow blew down from the mountains and hid her nakedness, her soul flew away as a white dove.'

Alice's twelfth appearance in Mahashiva's gallery is, in some respects, a development of his preceding Alice manip, 'Flogging of a Goddess'. That is to say, he has employed the same source image in both pictures. Whilst the flogging picture saw Alice extracted from Makar's cross, the lastest manipulation sees a return to the crucifixion theme for which she is so well known. This is not the tree-derived cross of the Crux Forest however, but an indisputably ancient Roman affair.

Shiva has previously presented Alice in a background from Mel Gibson's 'Passion of the Christ' - a flagellation scene, entitled, 'Alice in Rome'. Borrowing from the movie again, this time Shiva has deleted the figure of Christ complete with the central section. He has then re-joined the right and left halves of the screenshot, inserting the timber stake over the join, to produce a fresh background canvas for his crux scene.

In the resulting image, we can observe the established Shiva device of employing a full frontal view of Alice with arms fully extended, and the patibulum cropped out of the top of the picture. The application of some convincing blood flows along the forearms, down to the elbows, ensures that we recognise the use of the unseen nails, and the viewer is left in doubt that this is intended to represent a lethal crucifixion.

The figure is similarly cropped at the knees, and so there are no fixings in evidence at all. For some, this might seem to be a missed opportunity, although I can appreciate how much extra work would be required to show the nails in situ. And in fact, the quality of Alice's acting, and her pose in this source image, are more than sufficient to convey the agony of such a painful method of execution.

The background, containing appropriate military figures, is suitably defocused, to ensure that Alice is literally the centre of attention. The colour tones and saturation are perfectly balanced to make her appear as if she really belongs in this scene. No doubt, Shiva will protest that this is, in fact, a simple manipulation of no more than four or five layers (Alice, her bloodstains, a timber stake and the two sections of background). Additionally, there may be translucent filter layers, which I cannot distinguish. Nevertheless, I think the viewers will agree that the work is well done! :)
A simply stunning portrayal - thank you

'Alice In Perpetual Torment' - Graphic Novel by Fossy

Fossy cover Alice in Perpetual Torment BD.jpg

A new addition to the Cruxforums Archive, published yesterday, is @Fossy 's graphic novel interpretation of his original photo-manip-illustrated story, 'Alice in Perpetual Torment'. The nightmarish tale, in which Alice is pursued relentlessly by the cross, and made to suffer upon it in several variations of crucifixion, now has black and white illustrations in a 'Bande Dessinee' style. These are filtered and desaturated versions of Fossy's original photo manipulations, with overlayed text, presenting the heroine in a visual style which is strikingly bold.

A small number of black and white sketches of Alice have previously appeared as traditional artwork by Scorpio ( @jimsac ), as well as isolated examples of digital drawing by Steve Cordero and Kruemel Sangerhausen. But coming hot on the heels of its prolific author/illustrator's previous graphic novel 'The Georgia Peach', Fossy's latest publication is the first complete Alice story to be illustrated in this monochrome sketch-filter style. The PDF can be downloaded from the Archive -

'Alice In Perpetual Torment' - Graphic Novel by Fossy

View attachment 869342

A new addition to the Cruxforums Archive, published yesterday, is @Fossy 's graphic novel interpretation of his original photo-manip-illustrated story, 'Alice in Perpetual Torment'. The nightmarish tale, in which Alice is pursued relentlessly by the cross, and made to suffer upon it in several variations of crucifixion, now has black and white illustrations in a 'Bande Dessinee' style. These are filtered and desaturated versions of Fossy's original photo manipulations, with overlayed text, presenting the heroine in a visual style which is strikingly bold.

A small number of black and white sketches of Alice have previously appeared as traditional artwork by Scorpio ( @jimsac ), as well as isolated examples of digital drawing by Steve Cordero and Kruemel Sangerhausen. But coming hot on the heels of its prolific author/illustrator's previous graphic novel 'The Georgia Peach', Fossy's latest publication is the first complete Alice story to be illustrated in this monochrome sketch-filter style. The PDF can be downloaded from the Archive -

Thank you for this intro @bobinder - completing this work was a pleasure, and whilst nothing can quite beat seeing our gorgeous heroine in the flesh, this medium, in my view creates very provocative output. I have reposted the link to the Graphic Novel here so take a look and let me know what you think ...

http://www.cruxforums.com/xf/resources/alice-in-perpetual-torment-by-fossy.787/

I attach a few sample pages to whet your appetite Alice Fans!

Attachments

• Alice in Perpetual Torment Sample 01.png
    Alice in Perpetual Torment Sample 01.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 337
  • Alice in Perpetual Torment Sample 02.png
    Alice in Perpetual Torment Sample 02.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 309
  • Alice in Perpetual Torment Sample 03.png
    Alice in Perpetual Torment Sample 03.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 306
I attach a few sample pages to whet your appetite Alice Fans!
Thanks for the samples, Fossy. I must say, I was pleasantly surprised to see the story published as a second edition in graphic novel form, after the trouble you had previously taken with the original illustrated manip edition. The two distinct visual styles invite direct comparison, since the same series of pictures has been used throughout both versions.

The digital sketches have all been produced using the same filter treatment, which provides consistency, and a 'bubble-jet' kind of texture, which is most evident in the darker areas. The original manipulations tend to be quite dark pictures, but the sketches are much brighter, and considering the rather ruthless nature of such filters, reveal a surprising amount of detail, much of which is actually obscured in the manips.

Early in the story, we have a picture which employs an expressive Makar crux-carrying portrait, entitled 'The Walk'. This is rarely featured in manipulations, presumably due to the lack of colour and the fact that only the head, and none of the body, is visible. Fossy has combined the monochrome portrait with a dark, colour background, to produce the kind of selective colour image with which Makar himself was fond of experimenting. Fossy's digital sketch is much brighter, with the crisp linear feel of a 'comic' strip. The resulting clarity makes an attractive image, in which Alice's distinctive facial features are instantly recognisable.

Fossy Please Let me Be Free-AIPTs01.jpggdo cx_Alice_The_Walk_makar013.jpg

The second sample illustrates the confrontation between Queen Yacinta and the crucified Alice, during which the young Queen seems to be deeply impressed by Alice's stamina and endurance. This time, the Makar source is a popular, full body, crux profile, which has also appeared on the cover of Wragg's illustrated manip story, 'Alice Barabbas'. Again, the dark components of Fossy's original manipulation are successfully interpreted with sharp clarity in the sketch version.

Fossy Disturbing Silhouettes-AIPTs02.jpgc7cx_Alice_39_profile_c.jpg

Breaking new ground in the third sample, Fossy has used the combined figures of Alice and Freya to illustrate an intimate scene with Queen Helios. I think this may be the first time I have seen Rylsky's 'Baci' series used as a manip source. The original studio series is compromised by the blue and red coloured lighting which Rylsky employed, and this arguably reduces its appeal to manipulators.

Undeterred, Fossy has increased the gamma ratio and darkened the skin tones for his bedroom scene. The coloured lighting now reflects the furnishings in the new boudoir background, making this a bold and surprisingly successful colour image. In my opinion, it is more appealing than the sketch version, which seems to lack the visual impact of the colour manip, and looks rather like an unfinished drawing. Parts of the figures appear washed out where we might expect some shading or definition of the features, and this is especially true of the hair. Whilst lacking a degree of clarity, the sketch remains consistent with the Bande Dessinee style of the graphic novel concept, and perhaps my disappointment simply results from Fossy's attractive manipulation defying improvement.

Fossy It Is Time To Crucify You-AIPTs03.jpgMET-ART_ry_66_0028.jpg

A cursory glance at three samples in isolation hardly does justice to Fossy's prolific creative talents, and the complete story should be enjoyed on its own terms. Indeed both versions of 'Alice in Perpetual Torment' are on my growing list of impending, detailed reviews. ;)

Thanks for the samples, Fossy. I must say, I was pleasantly surprised to see the story published as a second edition in graphic novel form, after the trouble you had previously taken with the original illustrated manip edition. The two distinct visual styles invite direct comparison, since the same series of pictures has been used throughout both versions.

The digital sketches have all been produced using the same filter treatment, which provides consistency, and a 'bubble-jet' kind of texture, which is most evident in the darker areas. The original manipulations tend to be quite dark pictures, but the sketches are much brighter, and considering the rather ruthless nature of such filters, reveal a surprising amount of detail, much of which is actually obscured in the manips.

Early in the story, we have a picture which employs an expressive Makar crux-carrying portrait, entitled 'The Walk'. This is rarely featured in manipulations, presumably due to the lack of colour and the fact that only the head, and none of the body, is visible. Fossy has combined the monochrome portrait with a dark, colour background, to produce the kind of selective colour image with which Makar himself was fond of experimenting. Fossy's digital sketch is much brighter, with the crisp linear feel of a 'comic' strip. The resulting clarity makes an attractive image, in which Alice's distinctive facial features are instantly recognisable.

The second sample illustrates the confrontation between Queen Yacinta and the crucified Alice, during which the young Queen seems to be deeply impressed by Alice's stamina and endurance. This time, the Makar source is a popular, full body, crux profile, which has also appeared on the cover of Wragg's illustrated manip story, 'Alice Barabbas'. Again, the dark components of Fossy's original manipulation are successfully interpreted with sharp clarity in the sketch version.

Breaking new ground in the third sample, Fossy has used the combined figures of Alice and Freya to illustrate an intimate scene with Queen Helios. I think this may be the first time I have seen Rylsky's 'Baci' series used as a manip source. The original studio series is compromised by the blue and red coloured lighting which Rylsky employed, and this arguably reduces its appeal to manipulators.

Undeterred, Fossy has increased the gamma ratio and darkened the skin tones for his bedroom scene. The coloured lighting now reflects the furnishings in the new boudoir background, making this a bold and surprisingly successful colour image. In my opinion, it is more appealing than the sketch version, which seems to lack the visual impact of the colour manip, and looks rather like an unfinished drawing. Parts of the figures appear washed out where we might expect some shading or definition of the features, and this is especially true of the hair. Whilst lacking a degree of clarity, the sketch remains consistent with the Bande Dessinee style of the graphic novel concept, and perhaps my disappointment simply results from Fossy's attractive manipulation defying improvement.

A cursory glance at three samples in isolation hardly does justice to Fossy's prolific creative talents, and the complete story should be enjoyed on its own terms. Indeed both versions of 'Alice in Perpetual Torment' are on my growing list of impending, detailed reviews. ;)
Thank you so much for this analysis @bobinder your words and efforst are very much appreciated. Like I said before, with Alice as the primary subject, this really was a labour of love!

'St. Eulalia of Merida'

ddzbw95-da4d23b3-afb1-484f-ae98-b36faa123d5d.jpg

(Image hosted on DeviantArt - https://www.deviantart.com/mahashiva001/art/St-Eulalia-of-Merida-845401865 )​

A new Alice picture from an established Alice manip artist is always an exciting affair, especially when the subject is a high quality crux manipulation! Published on DeviantArt earlier today, Mahashiva's 'St. Eulalia of Merida' perpetuates the tradition in which the character of Eulalia is portrayed by Alice. And so, this popular Cruxdreams star continues to aspire to the title of the 'Most Manipulated Makar Model' - certainly in Shiva's gallery, where other Cruxdreams girls make only rare appearances.

This time, it is the historical virgin martyr, Eulalia of Merida, who is being portrayed, in the dramatic, final moments of her short life. The saint is, of course, closely associated with the identity of our own Eulalia, who uses the 'Merida' suffix in her name on DeviantArt. Indeed, she has already provided the historical background to the picture in her complimentary notes to Shiva -

'She was a spunky youngster whose parents sent her off to a safe house in the mountains when the persecution of Christians ordered by Diocletian was starting, but she wasn't going to miss out on martyrdom - she clambered out of the house by night and made her way down to the city where she confronted the magistrate, haranguing him on his sinfulness. The poor magistrate tried to reason with her, but she only spat at him, so he had her whipped, she thanked him for 'writing the praises of God in purple on my parchment' (purple prose was of course reserved for sycophantic addresses to the Emperor); next she was stretched on the 'little horse', a kind of rack, and torn with hooks - she thanked them for 'carving the sign of the cross on my breasts'; then she was tied between two pillars with burning braziers on either side of her to roast her, she shook her long hair so it caught fire, so they threw her naked body out on the cold stone paving of the Forum (it was December), a shower of snow blew down from the mountains and hid her nakedness, her soul flew away as a white dove.'

Alice's twelfth appearance in Mahashiva's gallery is, in some respects, a development of his preceding Alice manip, 'Flogging of a Goddess'. That is to say, he has employed the same source image in both pictures. Whilst the flogging picture saw Alice extracted from Makar's cross, the lastest manipulation sees a return to the crucifixion theme for which she is so well known. This is not the tree-derived cross of the Crux Forest however, but an indisputably ancient Roman affair.

Shiva has previously presented Alice in a background from Mel Gibson's 'Passion of the Christ' - a flagellation scene, entitled, 'Alice in Rome'. Borrowing from the movie again, this time Shiva has deleted the figure of Christ complete with the central section. He has then re-joined the right and left halves of the screenshot, inserting the timber stake over the join, to produce a fresh background canvas for his crux scene.

In the resulting image, we can observe the established Shiva device of employing a full frontal view of Alice with arms fully extended, and the patibulum cropped out of the top of the picture. The application of some convincing blood flows along the forearms, down to the elbows, ensures that we recognise the use of the unseen nails, and the viewer is left in no doubt that this is intended to represent a lethal crucifixion.

The figure is similarly cropped at the knees, and so there are no fixings in evidence at all. For some, this might seem to be a missed opportunity, although I can appreciate how much extra work would be required to show the nails in situ. And in fact, the quality of Alice's acting, and her pose in this source image, are more than sufficient to convey the agony of such a painful method of execution.

The background, containing appropriate military figures, is suitably defocused, to ensure that Alice is literally the centre of attention. The colour tones and saturation are perfectly balanced to make her appear as if she really belongs in this scene. No doubt, Shiva will protest that this is, in fact, a simple manipulation of no more than four or five layers (Alice, her bloodstains, a timber stake and the two sections of background). Additionally, there may be translucent filter layers, which I cannot distinguish. Nevertheless, I think the viewers will agree that the work is well done! :)
Beautiful, gets the juices going for sure, she is made for crux!

More Mahashiva Manipulations

Thanks for presenting Shiva's latest Alice manip, Phlebas. As you have observed, removing the model from the cross is generally considered the antithesis of crux art, but Alice provides endless variety as a figure source for photo manipulation. Shiva achieved a similar effect with 'Alice in Rome', in which the patibulum is cropped out of the composition and the focus is on her flagellation, although the tree trunk from the 'Crux Forest' has been preserved -

I believe this was Shiva's first presentation of Alice in widescreen aspect, which acknowledges the use of a movie screen shot for the background. Some of his later Alice manips also employ the widescreen format and movie backgrounds, including 'Stalag 57' -

'Stalag 57' marks Alice's eighth appearance in a MahaShiva manipulation - published a year ago on 4 May 2019 on DeviantArt and previously reviewed in this thread. Alice appears with Makar models Akrobatka and Erica, plus Arkady's Raimonda. Since then, Shiva has added 68 new pictures to his gallery, throughout which Alice remains the only Makar model to make an appearance in his work over the last year. In fact she appeared in three more of his pictures, in rapid succession between 22 March - 9 April 2020. She has now been featured in a total of eleven Mahashiva manipulations. The three new ones are 'Cultural Clash', 'Cultural Clash (Part II)' and most recently, 'Flogging of a Goddess', as noted by Phlebas. Here they are, preceded by the Makar source -

Both of the 'Cultural Clash' pictures employ the same Makar source from the 'Crux Forest' session. Shiva has sized the widescreen version to fit the standard monitor screen precisely, using the same aspect ratio which I habitually employ for my own Alice manipulations, so I'll take that as a compliment :D

'Cultural Clash' preserves Makar's cross and ropes, and Shiva's caption details the events leading to Alice's crucifixion on this occasion -
'Everybody was in agreement that Alice's ambitious plan to open and operate 15-20 YWCA locations with attached women's resource centers in Pakistan was doomed to failure and an invitation to disaster; the only difference in opinion was on how soon: some said within days, while others only gave her hours. About forty minutes after Alice opened the first location in Karachi, the world got its answer on live television.'

Makar's cross provides a recognisable 'Cruxdreams' trademark, extending the full width at the top of the picture, and effectively bisecting the progressively de-focused background image. The crowds have turned out in their thousands to witness this remarkable scene - presumably they are all around her, several hundred also benefiting from the front view we see here.

This is certainly one of Alice's most intense poses, in which she is supporting almost the whole of her (admittedly light) 112 lb body weight by her arms. The resulting tension through the shoulders and rib cage is most expressive, making a dramatic contrast with the relative comfort of the spectators.

This is the first time I have seen this Makar pose used in a manipulation, and I suspect that Shiva has introduced the largest ever audience to witness her ordeal. The effect of the heavily populated background transforms the original secluded woodland image into a rather spectacular composition.

Shiva's response to my observations explains his choice of Alice as the figure source -
'Among all of Alice's crux poses with Makar, this is one of my favorites. Alice's calm and dignified resignation to her agony gives this shot a strong sense of a classic martyrdom scene, which I find very, very appealing. This is also a relatively easy image to cut out for manipulation purposes, too. Once that's done, numerous ordinary photos would instantly become suitable backdrops for Alice.' :)

And in a further response to Phlebas' compliments, he added, 'Alice is indeed a one-of-a-kind talent and an irreplaceable personality in the history of modern Crux art!'

For 'Cultural Clash (Part II)' Shiva demonstrated his proposal regarding alternative backgrounds, exchanging the predominantly male crowd for a female audience and explaining, 'In the depths of her ordeal on the cross, Alice took much comfort in the fact that the local women who came to witness her fate showed much more sympathy for her than did the men.'

By cropping out the patibulum, Shiva brings Alice into a close-up engagement with the viewer. The similarity with the composition and title of the previous picture ensures that we recognise the continuation of the crux theme.

The close-up device is perpetuated in 'Flogging of a Goddess', which not only has the patibulum cropped out, but also has the stipes removed from the source image. Whilst the title hints at the crux origins which would otherwise be reflected by the concept of 'Passion of a Goddess' and Ramon Martinez' familiar subjects, the removal of the crux details and the addition of a new background, reinforce the whipping theme of the title.

Shiva explains that he was inspired by the work of Kamerijk, whose manipulations have recently been illustrating subjects from Greek mythology -
'Alice, or Aliki (Αλίκη), the Goddess of Pain, Anguish and the Condemned, has set off Zeus' wrath again. For punishment, the king of the gods sent her to be flogged in the streets of Sparta--and by a mortal, to add insult to injury.'

The background is a ready made scene from 'Game of Thrones', in which the character of Nymeria Sand, played by Jessica Henwick, wears a tooled, leather bodice and wields a thoroughly vicious looking whip. The effects of this heavy weapon are amply demonstrated by the appropriate welts which Shiva has skillfully applied to Alice's right breast. Her head is thrown back, away from the direction of the last whiplash.

Shiva explained that the picture's focus on Nymeria, rather than Alice, is due simply to the respective high and low resolution of the available components. Meanwhile, the ambient lighting and subtle use of scale and depth of field ensure that all of the elements blend together convincingly, and the dramatic composition conveys a sense of dynamic energy.
And as Phlebas has already noted, we are presented with 'a damned fine whipping scene.' :D
These are great, my regards to Shiva, it's been ages since we last communicated, I am probably to blame as I don't follow many posts other than the conversation thread.

'Alice and Koshka in the Crux Forest'

20 June 2007 - Thirteenth Anniversary
Esprit de Makar 5.jpg

This year's thirteenth anniversary 'Crux Forest' manipulation presents Alice as a composite figure, with numerous parts of the forest blended into the background behind her. All components are sourced from Makar's photos, taken on the afternoon of Wednesday 20 June 2007. Four body sections have been extracted from two photographs to produce a dramatic, full body image. Since the original pictures were all taken in the same location, on the same afternoon, the requirement for relative colour adjustments is negligible. The tense facial expression with bared teeth, and the tightly stressed fists with hyper-extended finger joints are the product of genuine strain on Alice's part and good timing by Makar.

The 'Crux Forest' patibulum was a trimmed branch, lashed to the tree, at a height of something over six feet. At 5' 4" Alice was barely able to reach the patibulum whilst standing on the ground, although she would have been able to mount the cross almost single handed, by standing on the stool which was provided for this purpose. Once secured to the cross, her feet were, in all respects, two feet above the ground. The low viewpoint, just above the level of her ankles, is reasonably consistent for both of the original figure source photos, and this ensures a convincing blend in the area of the waistline.

The 'Crux Forest' session lasted over three hours in the secluded woodland outside Moscow, starting at 12.30 pm. The face and fists of Alice are derived from a portrait taken at 2.15 pm, during her third stint on the cross, a little over half way through the session. The pain and strain expressed in the original upper body portrait seem to be quite authentic, and I decided to try and extend this into a full body image. Everything below the waist derives from a second picture (see below) and the breasts, stomach and navel have been relocated from the first picture in the attempt to produce an anatomically convincing figure, which is all genuinely Alice.

cd alice cruxdreams09.jpg

We have had thirteen years to speculate on the reasons for Alice undertaking this remarkable one-off bondage session. This was something entirely different from the rest of her modelling career, but at the same time, it was an unusual, low budget film opportunity, which revealed a remarkable talent for acting under the most arduous, physically demanding conditions. Since Alice had not apparently done anything like this before, and never did anything like it ever again, the Cruxdreams session might easily have been a contract she declined. But that would have been a missed opportunity, not only for a subsequently much admired crux star, but also for a growing number of enthusiastic photo manipulators, who continue to present her as a familiar icon in crux art.

Makar remarked that Alice was very busy posing for numerous photographers at the time he approached her. Despite being actively engaged in sessions, it is significant that by 20 June 2007, only five of her photo series had been published. The first four were all studio sets by MPL and MetArt. The fifth, released only two weeks before the Cruxdreams session, was the first of the outdoor Femjoy sets, 'Freedom' by Valery Anzilov. Everything else she had posed for up to that time was released after 20 June - and in fact three more sets would be published before the end of that month.

I wonder if, having seen the newly released Femjoy series, or the earlier studio sets, Makar contacted the Fotokritik agency specifically to request Alice? Of course, it is equally possible that she was simply offered as their next available model. Either way, the usual procedure thereafter would be to make samples of Cruxdreams photographs and videos available to the new model prior to her decision to proceed with a contract. In simple terms, Alice would have been in no doubt about what was expected of her. At that point, something about the proposal must have looked appealing. Certainly, the prospect of a three-hour session would have been more attractive in financial terms than a regular one-hour photo shoot. At the very least, she would be pushing some personal and professional boundaries. The speculation continues, but ultimately the results speak for themselves, providing a stunning record of energetic and dynamic performances by both Alice and Koshka in the Crux Forest.

Esprit de Makar 5.jpgcf7665psdet150pc.jpgEsprit de Makar 5 sepia-30-60.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ddzodqp-7151ea2e-fb58-4ea1-9691-5994c60082b7.jpg

(Image hosted on DevantArt - https://www.deviantart.com/bobnearled/art/Esprit-de-Makar-5-845984401 )​

This year's thirteenth anniversary 'Crux Forest' manipulation presents Alice as a composite figure, with numerous parts of the forest blended into the background behind her. All components are sourced from Makar's photos, taken on the afternoon of Wednesday 20 June 2007. Four body sections have been extracted from two photographs to produce a dramatic, full body image. Since the original pictures were all taken in the same location, on the same afternoon, the requirement for relative colour adjustments is negligible. The tense facial expression with bared teeth, and the tightly stressed fists with hyper-extended finger joints are the product of genuine strain on Alice's part and good timing by Makar.

The 'Crux Forest' patibulum was a trimmed branch, lashed to the tree, at a height of something over six feet. At 5' 4" Alice was barely able to reach the patibulum whilst standing on the ground, although she would have been able to mount the cross almost single handed, by standing on the stool which was provided for this purpose. Once secured to the cross, her feet were, in all respects, two feet above the ground. The low viewpoint, just above the level of her ankles, is reasonably consistent for both of the original figure source photos, and this ensures a convincing blend in the area of the waistline.

The 'Crux Forest' session lasted over three hours in the secluded woodland outside Moscow, starting at 12.30 pm. The face and fists of Alice are derived from a portrait taken at 2.15 pm, during her third stint on the cross, a little over half way through the session. The pain and strain expressed in the original upper body portrait seem to be quite authentic, and I decided to try and extend this into a full body image. Everything below the waist derives from a second picture (see below) and the breasts, stomach and navel have been relocated from the first picture in the attempt to produce an anatomically convincing figure, which is all genuinely Alice.

We have had thirteen years to speculate on the reasons for Alice undertaking this remarkable one-off bondage session. This was something entirely different from the rest of her modelling career, but at the same time, it was an unusual, low budget film opportunity, which revealed a remarkable talent for acting under the most arduous, physically demanding conditions. Since Alice had not apparently done anything like this before, and never did anything like it ever again, the Cruxdreams session might easily have been a contract she declined. But that would have been a missed opportunity, not only for a subsequently much admired crux star, but also for a growing number of enthusiastic photo manipulators, who continue to present her as a familiar icon in crux art.

Makar remarked that Alice was very busy posing for numerous photographers at the time he approached her. Despite being actively engaged in sessions, it is significant that by 20 June 2007, only five of her photo series had been published. The first four were all studio sets by MPL and MetArt. The fifth, released only two weeks before the Cruxdreams session, was the first of the outdoor Femjoy sets, 'Freedom' by Valery Anzilov. Everything else she had posed for up to that time was released after 20 June - and in fact three more sets would be published before the end of that month.

I wonder if, having seen the newly released Femjoy series, or the earlier studio sets, Makar contacted the Fotokritik agency specifically to request Alice? Of course, it is equally possible that she was simply offered as their next available model. Either way, the usual procedure thereafter would be to make samples of Cruxdreams photographs and videos available to the new model prior to her decision to proceed with a contract. In simple terms, Alice would have been in no doubt about what was expected of her. At that point, something about the proposal must have looked appealing. Certainly, the prospect of a three-hour session would have been more attractive in financial terms than a regular one-hour photo shoot. At the very least, she would be pushing some personal and professional boundaries. The speculation continues, but ultimately the results speak for themselves, providing a stunning record of energetic and dynamic performances by both Alice and Koshka in the Crux Forest.

@bobinder, the pictures are very erotic in their own right but your detailed analysis and narratives enhance them considerably. Thank you so much

(Image hosted on DevantArt - https://www.deviantart.com/bobnearled/art/Esprit-de-Makar-5-845984401 )​

Once again, Bob has given us a 'new' image from this iconic session, and done so with his usual incredible skills, beautiful, Bob! :)

Poor Koshka, she was an excellent Makar model, and she has done other shoots with Makar; Bob will know if they were before or since the Crux Forest set; but we almost forget that she was there. I suspect Alice may not have accepted the job if she'd been expected to go out in the forest alone, so we should raise a glass to Koshka, too, on this anniversary! :beer:

Koshka.jpeg

Here Bob shows Alice getting lessons from Koshka...:

contemplation_of_crucifixion_2_by_bobnearled_dd9s99a-fullview.jpg

Last edited:
Poor Koshka, she was an excellent Makar model, and she has done other shoots with Makar; Bob will know if they were before or since the Crux Forest set; but we almost forget that she was there. I suspect Alice may not have accepted the job if she'd been expected to go out in the forest alone, so we should raise a glass to Koshka, too, on this anniversary! :beer:
Thank you, Wragg. You are right to note that 'Alice and Koshka in the Crux Forest' was very much a team effort by Alice, Koshka, Makar and ImageMaker, and all four should take credit for the success of the production. Alice was the novice on 20 June 2007, since as you observe, Koshka had already experienced working with Makar and ImageMaker on a previous occasion. It is not unlikely that her previous experience of crucifixion inspired the new girl's confidence, and indeed, Alice took a keen interest in Koshka's performance.

The previous occasion was an indoor session in which Koshka was featured with Nadia and Tessa. Makar's camera data confirms that it was filmed on the afternoon of 8 May 2007, so it preceded the 'Crux Forest' shoot by just six weeks. The video was released a year later as 'Unruly Maids'. Koshka wore a distinctive, Cleopatra-style wig which did not reappear in the outdoor shoot, and this accounts for her appearance being different in the two videos. Her other physical attributes are readily identifiable, however. ;)

The previous occasion was an indoor session in which Koshka was featured with Nadia and Tessa. Makar's camera data confirms that it was filmed on the afternoon of 8 May 2007, so it preceded the 'Crux Forest' shoot by just six weeks. The video was released a year later as 'Unruly Maids'. Koshka wore a distinctive, Cleopatra-style wig which did not reappear in the outdoor shoot, and this accounts for her appearance being different in the two videos. Her other physical attributes are readily identifiable, however. ;)

And it’s that Cleopatra wig that inspired my label for the jpeg posted above. It also brought to mind Cobra's whimsical pdf from long ago. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Cleopatra, having a bad day.jpeg
    Cleopatra, having a bad day.jpeg
    742.8 KB · Views: 498
  • cleopatras.PDF
    239.7 KB · Views: 76

I had the pleasure and privilege to have met with and worked with Makar who somehow managed to convince her and many others, to take these wonderfull poses stark naked in the woods especially for the pleasure of the rest of us. He was a gentle soul that loved women from what I know and was unfortunately lost too soon. I always remember him fondly, though we only met briefly in Athens a couple of times, he loved going to Crete and I suspect he would have liked to move there eventually, at last that is what he led me to assume. He very well may have convinced lovelies there to take up the flag and allow themselves to be captured in scenes of crux along the wild Cretan coast or in the mountains, don't know what the locals would have made of that, though I suspect some would enjoy secretly watching the whole scene. :) even the clergy I suspect.

He very well may have convinced lovelies there to take up the flag and allow themselves to be captured in scenes of crux along the wild Cretan coast or in the mountains
Thank you very much, Damian, for sharing your memories of Makar. As you say, we can only imagine the impact he might have had on the mountains of Crete -
and in 'Esprit de Makar 2', both the figure of Alice and the background landscape of Crete are derived from photographs taken by Makar. :)

dc3e7ny-ba64300e-4e1b-46b5-8502-38f475ab914a.jpg

Esprit de Makar 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the pleasure and privilege to have met with and worked with Makar who somehow managed to convince her and many others, to take these wonderfull poses stark naked in the woods especially for the pleasure of the rest of us. He was a gentle soul that loved women from what I know and was unfortunately lost too soon. I always remember him fondly, though we only met briefly in Athens a couple of times, he loved going to Crete and I suspect he would have liked to move there eventually, at last that is what he led me to assume. He very well may have convinced lovelies there to take up the flag and allow themselves to be captured in scenes of crux along the wild Cretan coast or in the mountains, don't know what the locals would have made of that, though I suspect some would enjoy secretly watching the whole scene. :) even the clergy I suspect.
Thank you for sharing these anecdotes there are incredibly insightful and very enjoyable to share in.

Hi, bobinder, it was a waste to just post on the Lovely Ladies thread, so I tried to manipulate the image. But I don't know what she's doing. :) Probably plays the role of a Roman slave.
Wow excellent job! The expression on her face says it all!
Cypher a4-alicekiss-romanslaves-study1200.jpg

Hi @cypher , many thanks for submitting your new Alice manipulation. :)

This new Alice picture is very much in the style of the earlier 'Escape' series by Cypher, which also features Alice and was reviewed in two previous posts -

Again, the theme is a Roman one and I recognise the female figure reading from the scroll, since she has made appearances in several crux manipulations, notably by @morten sigurdson . In Cypher's latest picture, she and the Centurion on the left are actually reunited with Alice, since all three characters featured jointly in an early Via Appia-themed crux manip by Julie and @melissa , subsequently modified by @Madiosi (Madi will confirm - I think I've got that right?) -

madiosi-2015-159-POV-Via Appia with crucified girls hnd.jpg

The 'Escape' series presented Alice via source images from the Crimean coastal sessions by Valery Anzilov for Femjoy, and the new picture is entirely consistent in terms of the original source, which is from 'Droplets On My Skin', photographed near Simeiz on 21 May 2007.

Droplets18 femjoy_111396_051.jpg
Dromsk051-cf-Cypher-ak-romanslaves-study.jpg

In the original picture, Alice has just emerged from a cooling splash in the Black Sea, her hair is wet and a fine, glistening, aquatic highlight describes the sinuous route down her right thigh from the hip to the knee. Even by 8.30 in the morning, the sun is hot enough to begin reddening the skin on her arms and shoulders. The damp skin on the back of her shoulders, buttocks and calves reflects the dazzling sunlight which casts a sharply defined shadow on the rock beneath her.

Cypher has flipped the figure for his new composition, and he has provided a new, dense shadow for the sunlit earth of the foreground. Increasing the gamma ratio has darkened the figure whilst preserving the aforementioned areas of highlighting, and the wet skin now suggests the effects of perspiration. The skin texture has been carefully reworked to reveal the red stripes from a recent whipping across the lower back, and abrasion wounds from bindings on the wrists and ankles. The fine attention to detail extends to a subtle tear track on the face and numerous dirt stains all over the body.

The main focus is on Alice whilst the subsidiary figures blend appropriately into the progressively de-focused background. The second reclining nude, also chained around the neck in the manner of the main figure, presents identical lighting effects, and provides a convincing transition between the foreground and the distant figures. The shadow of the chain on the outstretched right arm is a neat touch.

Interestingly, this second nude figure bears a remarkable resemblance to Alice - at least if we compare another portrait from the same Femjoy 'Droplets On My Skin' series. The body proportions are correct, although the aureolae are too dark to be authentic features of Alice. It may be coincidental, of course, but I would be interested to learn if this is a composite figure, using Alice's head as a subtle 'double take' in the manipulation?

Droplets18 femjoy_111396_018.jpg
Dromsk018-cf-Cypher-ak-romanslaves-study.jpg

Alice's pose on all fours, and her slightly breathless facial expression make an appealing subject for manipulators. This particular source image is proving to be quite popular, having appeared in the slavegirl manipulation, 'Captured' by @CamCrux (Kamerijk on DeviantArt) and 'She is Yours Now' by @Fossy . The face was also used previously in my crux manip, 'Ivdaea Capta 13', as well as in 'Nailed to the Mast' by Fossy.

kamerijk captured_by_kamerijk-dbve048.jpgFossy she_is_yours_now_by_fossy0407_ddo9jjp.jpgIvdaea Capta 13b.jpgFossy nailed_to_the_mast_by_fossy0407_ddmjbmj.jpg

Cypher speculates upon the event he is depicting. Having examined the details, a broader look at his new manip reveals that a proclamation is being announced. The Centurion's presence lends some formality to the proceedings, and the three gladiatorial types on the right await their cue to deal with the exhausted, naked girls. The ascendant eagle above Alice's head symbolises the impending triumph of Pax Romana, and all the signs indicate a visit to the circus...

:D Nice work, Cypher! :D

Back
Top Bottom