An idea about a victim of the cross

Go to CruxDreams.com
Does Anybody know CIP? CIP means congenital insensitivity to pain. The disease is very rare and generally comes naturally. People with this condition don't feel pain, but their other feelings are normal. Although CIP often threatens the life of a patient, such as being scalded or burned as a child, perhaps it would make him or her more daring (or die sooner) as a warrior in adulthood? And then after being arrested and sentenced to crucifixion, because could not feel the pain so all of the corporal punishment loses its original function. If you can't try to break this person's spirit, to carry out such a death sentence would be even humiliating to the executioner and the law. He or she would laugh as you swung the hammer and shout, "Is that all you have? Have you not had breakfast?" Even if you could easily kill the person, but ordinary people would regard it as a legend. If a man has no pain and is not afraid of death, he may never fail in the first place.

So what do you think about that? :smile:

Does Anybody know CIP? CIP means congenital insensitivity to pain. The disease is very rare and generally comes naturally. People with this condition don't feel pain, but their other feelings are normal. Although CIP often threatens the life of a patient, such as being scalded or burned as a child, perhaps it would make him or her more daring (or die sooner) as a warrior in adulthood? And then after being arrested and sentenced to crucifixion, because could not feel the pain so all of the corporal punishment loses its original function. If you can't try to break this person's spirit, to carry out such a death sentence would be even humiliating to the executioner and the law. He or she would laugh as you swung the hammer and shout, "Is that all you have? Have you not had breakfast?" Even if you could easily kill the person, but ordinary people would regard it as a legend. If a man has no pain and is not afraid of death, he may never fail in the first place.

So what do you think about that? :smile:
Believe it or not, I once started writing a story with that idea. It was involving the Inquisition trying to extract a confession and failing (putting the Inquisitor under some suspicion by the higher ups). In those days, such a condition would have been unknown. I think for crucifixion, the person would still die in the end, because their muscles would suffer fatigue leading to suffocation just like a normal person.

I can't remember why I never wrote the story; maybe I decided that torturing someone who didn't respond wasn't that interesting...

Believe it or not, I once started writing a story with that idea. It was involving the Inquisition trying to extract a confession and failing (putting the Inquisitor under some suspicion by the higher ups). In those days, such a condition would have been unknown. I think for crucifixion, the person would still die in the end, because their muscles would suffer fatigue leading to suffocation just like a normal person.

I can't remember why I never wrote the story; maybe I decided that torturing someone who didn't respond wasn't that interesting...
Aha, I knew it wasn't just me! You're right, torturing an unresponsive person is boring, or it's time to focus on how to humiliate.

A lot of people have gone through it. Often it starts with 2,5 per mil.
I think you are right that it would be most humilating to the executioner and I am sure that windar is right about dying. Even if the person wouldn´t feel pain - you don´t laugh if you can´t breath.
Yeah, maybe not being able to feel pain makes the person live longer than normal? Because he doesn't have to fight the pain of lifting his body up, his physical exertion will be less than normal, but he would still die of suffocation by exhaustion.

Yeah, maybe not being able to feel pain makes the person live longer than normal? Because he doesn't have to fight the pain of lifting his body up, his physical exertion will be less than normal, but he would still die of suffocation by exhaustion.
I am not sure about that. Without pain there will be a lot less adrenalin in the body, which usually is helping the body in fighting.
We should test your theory after the end of the social distancing :)

CIP is super rare, less then twenty cases reported. Usually they die young because they accidentally burn themselves or break to many bones and don’t notice. I think it is more likely that there is just an unusually tough victim; either through pain or death, the cross would win either way.

insensitivity to pain
I did once explore that in a story idea ... sort of from the other end ... a kind of half-artificial humans who were created by joining a manipulated mind to a 'blanked' body. The problem was as these entities were awakened, their minds not always fully joined up with the bodies and pain insensitivity was a common symptom. Since they were basically behaviorally controlled by pain, if they couldn't learn to experience that, they were discarded. One could say that to certain degree pain teaches how to navigate the world (as in avoiding things that will cause damage to the body ... even such as resting the limbs in certain positions for too long) and with these subjects that was taken a step further.

Some years ago was a documentation on TV about a man who lost his sensitivity due to an accident (if I remember right with his motorcycle). Over the many years he has also lost his empathy for the feelings of other people generally or their pain espacially.

Scenes like the followed, that would give other people a heart attack don’t touch him at all if he’s looking at it.

View attachment No pain_1_1.mp4

So with your physical senses you may loose your mental senses too (I hope you understand, what I try to say).

CIP is super rare, less then twenty cases reported. Usually they die young because they accidentally burn themselves or break to many bones and don’t notice. I think it is more likely that there is just an unusually tough victim; either through pain or death, the cross would win either way.
It's interesting that victims remaining silent throughout cruel and unusual torments are rare at CF, even if it's a centuries-old mainstream trope -- encompassing both stories of Jewish and Christian martyrs and accounts of WWII resistants in the hands of the SS.

Back
Top Bottom