Ancient Martyrs

Go to CruxDreams.com
All good stuff, but I do question the third pic, there is a child on the ground, this depiction is almost certainly St Jullita who's child was killed in front of her, before she also was executed, or so the legend goes.
Fantastic finds please keep going.

Here are a couple of images from the trial and torture of an unknown (to me) female saint. Doesn't seem to be from Roman times as the tribunal clearly has bishops sitting on it. Maybe Jeanne d'Arc?

The image of the trial has a caption in German which translates as "The godless say: we shall question the pious under torture and kill them with the very most shameful death". We see a fully-clothed female saint (with halo) in front of the judges, and in the foreground various torture implements: a nasty-looking spiked iron collar, two bundles of birches and a breast press.

prozess.jpg

The next image shows her partially stripped and poked with needles, presumably a witch test. There is a monk holding what looks like a glowing iron over a bucket of water. On the ground there are still the same three torture implements. No idea what's going on in the background, possibly a garotting of a woman.

nadel.jpg

Here are a couple of images from the trial and torture of an unknown (to me) female saint. Doesn't seem to be from Roman times as the tribunal clearly has bishops sitting on it. Maybe Jeanne d'Arc?

The image of the trial has a caption in German which translates as "The godless say: we shall question the pious under torture and kill them with the very most shameful death". We see a fully-clothed female saint (with halo) in front of the judges, and in the foreground various torture implements: a nasty-looking spiked iron collar, two bundles of birches and a breast press.

View attachment 885219

The next image shows her partially stripped and poked with needles, presumably a witch test. There is a monk holding what looks like a glowing iron over a bucket of water. On the ground there are still the same three torture implements. No idea what's going on in the background, possibly a garotting of a woman.

View attachment 885218
These are German drawings depicting a witch hunt.

These are German drawings depicting a witch hunt.

Well, yes, but the caption on the first drawing and the halo around the head of the accused make it clear that the artist considers her to be a martyr and the tribunal to be godless.

I think there's a Susanna (Sushnik) who's an important martyr in the Georgian church, but a different one - I only remember that one of her tortures was being hung up by her hair, an unusual form of martyrdom - perhaps surprisingly, boys seem to have an irresistible urge to pull our hair!
(yes - August 28th - but the images of her are solemn icons, hair-pulling is evidently not deemed a suitable subject for holy images)

Attachments

• Павел и Иулиания 1.jpg
    Павел и Иулиания 1.jpg
    320.7 KB · Views: 113
  • Павел и Иулиания 2.jpg
    Павел и Иулиания 2.jpg
    567.2 KB · Views: 119
  • Павел и Иулиания 3.jpg
    Павел и Иулиания 3.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 118
  • Павел и Иулиания 4 1.JPG
    Павел и Иулиания 4 1.JPG
    279.3 KB · Views: 139
  • Павел и Иулиания 4.png
    Павел и Иулиания 4.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 152
  • Павел и Иулиания 5.png
    Павел и Иулиания 5.png
    2 MB · Views: 171
  • Павел и Иулиания 6.png
    Павел и Иулиания 6.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 183
St.Eulalia. Day Memory 22 August \ 04 Sepember. Eulalia of Barcelona - Wikipedia
Еулалия 1.png
Еулалия 2.png
Еулалия 3.png

A very nice collection, thankyou Kuza. I especially like these modern drawings, portraying my 'name saint' much as I imagine her, especially her intelligent, alert, unfrightened expression. I recognise the style, but can't recall the artist ...?

Santa Cristina da Bolsena is celebrated on July 24th.
True, Christina of Bolsena gets muddled with Christina of Tyre, so much so it's difficult to tell whether the latter isn't just a copy of the former (like Eulalia of Barcelona from Eulalia of Merida). But July 24th is also the feast-day of Christina the Astonishing, who was, well, astonishing.

Back
Top Bottom