Ancient Martyrs

Go to CruxDreams.com
True, Christina of Bolsena gets muddled with Christina of Tyre, so much so it's difficult to tell whether the latter isn't just a copy of the former (like Eulalia of Barcelona from Eulalia of Merida). But July 24th is also the feast-day of Christina the Astonishing, who was, well, astonishing.
I have confirmed that the feast of Santa Cristina in Bolsena is celebrated on July 24th. Because a few years ago. I attended that party...

Еулалия 1.png
Еулалия 2.png
Еулалия 3.png

A very nice collection, thankyou Kuza. I especially like these modern drawings, portraying my 'name saint' much as I imagine her, especially her intelligent, alert, unfrightened expression. I recognise the style, but can't recall the artist ...?
I don/t know the artist. But this is taken from the Russian Orthodox channel. Probably painted by a Russian artist.))))

Attachments

• Максим 1.jpg
    Максим 1.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 230
  • Максим, Феодот, Исихий, Асклипиодота 1.png
    Максим, Феодот, Исихий, Асклипиодота 1.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 248
  • Максим, Феодот, Исихий, Асклипиодота 3.png
    Максим, Феодот, Исихий, Асклипиодота 3.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 238
  • Максим, Феодот, Исихий, Асклипиодота 5.png
    Максим, Феодот, Исихий, Асклипиодота 5.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 219
  • Максим, Феодот, Исихий, Асклипиодота 9.png
    Максим, Феодот, Исихий, Асклипиодота 9.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 219
  • Максим, Феодот, Исихий, Асклипиодота 11.png
    Максим, Феодот, Исихий, Асклипиодота 11.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 222
St Eulalia of Barcelona is generally shown suffering martyrdom on an X cross, there is an alternative legend, where even after being crucified and tortured to renounce her faith while tied spreadeagled on an X cross, she continued to remain steadfast.
Furious at this local governor ordered that she be taken to a hill outside the city of Barcelona and nailed naked to a Roman cross and that her body was to be left to rot on the cross as a warning to other Christians.
I have found a couple of very old examples of this, although I'm sure there must be many more.

Attachments

• Screenshot 10-13-2020 00.43.18.jpg
    Screenshot 10-13-2020 00.43.18.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 149
  • Screenshot 10-13-2020 00.45.10.jpg
    Screenshot 10-13-2020 00.45.10.jpg
    517.5 KB · Views: 146
Back
Top Bottom