Auto De Fe

Go to CruxDreams.com

nardnob

Magistrate
On my recent Spanish holiday, at a charming little exhibition in Toledo entitled Antiguos Instrumentos de Tortura, I learned of that peculiar Iberian ritual known as 'Auto de fe', which translates to 'Act of faith'.

Take a peek at the exhibition... and don't miss it if by chance you're visiting Toledo!

http://www.bizarreglobehopper.com/b...al-torture-equipment-exhibition-toledo-spain/

Browsing through the exhibits, where I photo'd every device and description, I couldn't help but recall poignant scenes from the soul-scorching tales of relentless sexual humiliation, inescapably cruel torture and inevitably ignominious martyrdom found here in this forum.

And I was thoroughly captivated by descriptions of the grand spectacle of an Auto de fe.

Here is Wikipedia's G-rated version: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto-da-fé

Going forward, I will communicate here in this thread a multitude of juicy details pertaining to what I discovered at the exhibit, and in web research using my new-found Spanish vocabulary.

Last edited:
Meanwhile, here's a dramatization of an Auto de fe in Mexico circa 1596.

Genuinely I regret that each of the women aren't stripped naked, one-by-one, to reveal their tortured bodies at the post!

Who among you has the faith to bear witness as witches, heretics, and apostates burn to ashes upon the pyre?

Don't look away, or you may be next!

Last edited:
That's a very powerful video, thanks Nardnob - it conveys a really scary sense of the awful and awesome power of the Church,
I'd feel completely crushed, the relentless drumming keeping rhythm with my heart.
A few male prisoners are half naked, they seem to be natives, but we don't see what happens to them.

That's a very powerful video, thanks Nardnob - it conveys a really scary sense of the awful and awesome power of the Church,
I'd feel completely crushed, the relentless drumming keeping rhythm with my heart.
A few male prisoners are half naked, they seem to be natives, but we don't see what happens to them.
I think there are less serious sinners and their punishment is watching.

Meanwhile, here's a dramatization of an Auto de fe in Mexico circa 1596.

Genuinely I regret that each of the women aren't stripped naked, one-by-one, to reveal their tortured bodies at the post!

Who among you has the faith to bear witness as witches, heretics, and apostates burn to ashes upon the pyre?

Don't look away, or you may be next!
The film is "Santo Oficio"(The Holy Office), Mexico 1974.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073656/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_6
I saw it on Univision in the late 80s. I don't believe an English dub or sub version has been released.
Is it not Auto-da-fe? (Act of the Belief).
The Spanish is auto-de-fe', auto-da-fe' is Portuguese. For some reason, the Portuguese spelling is the most commonly used one in English.

Auto de fe scene in Guissepe Verdi's opera "Don Carlos". End of Act 3:

"Preparations are being made for an "Auto-da-fé", the public parade and burning of condemned heretics. While the people celebrate, monks drag the condemned to the woodpile. A royal procession follows, with the King addressing the populace. Don Carlos interrupts it by bringing forward six Flemish envoys, who plead with the King for their country's freedom. Although the people and the court are sympathetic, the King, supported by the monks, orders the deputies' arrest. Carlos draws his sword against the King. The King calls for help but the guards will not attack Don Carlos. Posa steps in and takes the sword from Carlos. The King uses it to dub Posa Duke, the woodpile is fired and, as the flames start to rise, a heavenly voice can be heard promising heavenly peace to the condemned souls." (source : Wikipedia).

Other flats, from Hafer (54mm, engraved by Franz Karl Mohr).
View attachment 363542As far as I know also still available: View attachment 363541

very nice, painted.
Those others looked very reasonably priced too. tempting!

Auto de fe scene in Guissepe Verdi's opera "Don Carlos". End of Act 3:

Amazing. Quite amazing. I wonder if they were wearing merkins or falsies of some sort, that seems to be common in opera these days.
Imagine the conversations: "Aunty Hilda, I'm appearing in Don Carlos"
"That's lovely, dear, we'll come and see you. Which part are you playing?"
"The naked woman hanging upside down in the middle of the stage!"

It's tough getting a foot in the door sometimes.

20160420_171539-1.jpg

This sign welcomes you to the exhibit in Toledo, where I knew in an instant the modest price of admission would be money well spent... :)

Now recall the Auto De Fe is but the culminating spectacle of a something like 40-day mockery of Justice, which served to appease sadistic lust in the black hearts of the Church and its allies.

Before taking us through the exhibit, I'd like to first say a few things about historical accuracy of the Auto De Fe clip near the beginning of this thread...

1. The large number of participants -- these were grandiose pompous spectacles, intended to demonstrate the ultimate power of the Church beyond any doubt.

2. The condemned ride mules, near the back of the procession, dressed (or not dressed, as is my preference) in a humiliating costume.

3. Effigies, representing those who had died in prison, accompany the condemned to the stake.

4. At the stake, the condemned are given one last opportunity to repent, by kissing the cross. If they do, they are given the mercy of strangulation by the garrot. Refuse, and your body will feel the flames, as does the woman at front stake second from left.

5. Not everyone was condemned. Some were exiled, or branded for life. Such likely is the fate of those dressed in green.

Last edited:
For me the worst torture would be having to listen to that woman bawling her head off :p

It reminds me to a thread started months ago about a concert of the band Gorgoroth, with naked crucified people as part of the stage.

http://www.cruxforums.com/xf/threads/gorogoth-crucified-on-stage.4836/#post-203559

The comments there were, how exciting it must be to stand there naked in front of a huge crowd, but some remarked that you have to take the 'music' for granted.

Could be the same here. Some would pay for being strung up by their feet, naked, tied, gagged, in front of hundreds of onlookers. These actors get paid for it!:cool:

But they have to endure a little bit of opera too. But anyway, if you would do it for the excitment of acting public torture, well, then, just endure all the tortures. around.:D

I posted a bit of Verdi a while back too:
(this is a better quality clip of the slavegirls ballet)

I feel more excited at the idea of being one of those topless slavegirls,
wouldn't mind doing something like that (with even less on ;) :devil:).
I think the reason is, I'd be doing something, actually performing,
not just standing or hanging there.
Even if I'm being whipped or crucified, I want to 'dance',
to move about, not just be a passive victim.
(Also I like the music and ceremonial stuff in Aida,
it's kitsch, but great theatre -
as, for the spectators at least, was an auto da fe!)

I posted a bit of Verdi a while back too:
(this is a better quality clip of the slavegirls ballet)

Nice to look at.

Actually, I have a 'weak' for ankle suspension scenes. It is fascinating to see how they are towed up from the ground, totally helpless and vulnerable, particularly by being naked, tied to the back and gagged, and lifted up, gently swinging and twisting. Some of the actors submit it completely, other, like the woman in the middle, seems to try resisting it a little. But there is no escape. Very exciting as a punishment fantasy.

Back
Top Bottom