Bartnel's Inferno

Go to CruxDreams.com
crucify her first... and let's work from there:p
She will look lovely I'm sure

I agree - I can see in Bartnell's work some of the same problems I encountered with animation. You don't see those unless you know exactly what to look for. There's the way the girl's wrists move on the nails, more than they should; and he gets by the fact that her hair will swing right through her shoulder by making that head-drop happen very fast so you won't see it. None of us is perfect at this stuff.

All of us went through a learning curve to be able to create anything with the software - maybe me more than most, because I started with Poser 2.0 I think, back in 1996. Here's one of my first creations from 1997:

412811-4127fc371f2cffd599f33e1588d37e00.jpg

It just doesn't get any worse than that, but the software was a big part of it. No hair for any of the figures, don't think the eyes would move, and in the version prior to this one, the figures didn't have toes. Poser would choke on a scene with more than a few megs, and it crashed all the time. The figures themselves were rendered nude in Poser and I painted on hair, the shorts the guys are wearing, the cross, those nails, then composited in the hammer and background pic, all in Photoshop. Today, I never do postwork in Photoshop - my pics are all straight Poser renders with no retouching. Your stuff is GREAT in comparison to where I started.

Poser was famous for crashing right up until maybe the 2010 version, which was pretty stable. Even so, it's always a good idea to get in the habit of saving your work frequently! Crashes for me have been pretty rare in the past few years, but you never know. I suspect that DAZ Studio hasn't gone through enough versions yet to be as stable as Poser. I don't use it, so I can't say for sure.
I like the X cross, that is how Erin was crucified in my story.

Another V6 test. This one is more classical and without dynamic hair.

View attachment 622880

To other CG artists : there's a big problem importing Gen2 character within VUE : the mesh remains low res. and no subdivision can be imported :( ! it becomes very visible on shoulders when arms are along body ... but the good new is : it remains inconspicuous when the character is crucified ;)
Awesome.

Over the time I've collected Bartnel's Inferno animations and I've joined them in an AVI video. I hope you'll agree with the order of first ones. If you wish you can download it from:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/7dacrs2d5dbw2j7/Inferno_video.ZIP/file

This ZIP file holds a (more or less) normal speed version and a slower one, in order to watch the action in more detail. I'm amazed at Bartnel's skill.

Last edited:
Great stuff ,Of course I've seen it before and I have collected it, this version shows her walking into the chamber fully clothed, I wonder if there's more of that part the sequence anywhere.
I really love Bartnel's work and must try and save up enough to purchase some more of his original works.

The most captivating feature of crucifixion is the use of nails or spikes and Bartnel has created for us a fascinating and very entrancing example with his Inferno. However there are very few graphic documents of real nailing of hands and apparently none of wrists. The many Good Friday Philippines ceremonies are an exception but here is a real instance:

https://www.krqe.com/news/investiga...ue-tells-his-story_2018010402555430/900291783

And for a detailed and very real and very stupid case, probably known to most readers, go to:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom