Bataan Barb

Go to CruxDreams.com
God - I'm falling in love with Shirley. With her bobbed blonde hair and cheerful optimism, she reminds me of someone. Yes! Amanda! :icon12:

Honestly I thought exactly the same about Shirley in that she reminded me of Amanda. I think it is the light coloured Bob that does it

Shirley could have been Amanda’s grandmother if only she had survived Bataan :oops:

With Major Ohno in charge, :eek:we already long to sergeant Kubo's empathy and leniency for the POW's!:facepalm:

But it really didn’t matter, because at that moment the cab door swung open, and a long bare feminine leg appeared. Moments later, Barb slipped to the ground, clutched at the cab door for support, blinked at the bright light, and took two unsteady steps forward before sinking to her knees.

With the enemy around, always stay in cover, Barb!:doh:

@old slave brings up a valid point. With so many characters, and with the rapid fire episode-a-day pace of posting for this story, it’s understandable that some may struggle to keep track of who’s who. So I offer here a little help;
Just a thought here, Barb! If you had stuck in this story to names for generals, officers, NCO's and enlisted men, such as 'TheHangingTree', 'Wragg', 'Praefectus Praetorio', 'Windar', 'Jollyrei', 'Phlebas',... and added characters such as 'Kathy', 'Messaline', 'Eulalia',... to the Nurse Corps, and with apologies for those I overlooked to mention on this unit citation, the Japs would at this stage of the battle be fleeing to Tokyo head over heels and in panic!;)

Just a thought here, Barb! If you had stuck in this story to names for generals, officers, NCO's and enlisted men, such as 'TheHangingTree', 'Wragg', 'Praefectus Praetorio', 'Windar', 'Jollyrei', 'Phlebas',... and added characters such as 'Kathy', 'Messaline', 'Eulalia',... to the Nurse Corps, and with apologies for those I overlooked to mention on this unit citation, the Japs would at this stage of the battle be fleeing to Tokyo head over heels and in panic!;)
Heh, that’s a formidable cast of characters to be sure. :rolleyes:

23. Bataan Peninsula, somewhere in the hills above Lubao, late afternoon of April 15, 1942

Banoy Igcasan, one of the very youngest of Alejandro’s partisans, and a recent addition to the band, stirred his limbs in the cramped space of his lookout post ... a small triangular-shaped bamboo scaffolding attached high off the ground to the trunks of three tropical hardwoods.

Banoy had been occupying his post for hours. He was bored and on the edge of sleep. But something had caught his attention ... a distant movement of some kind ... and he also thought he had heard a voice. But he wasn’t sure. He was always hearing noises that turned out to be nothing .. animals, birds, a breeze, and so on. And it may have only been Alejandro and that American officer that he heard, engaged in yet another argument over in the nearby camp.

But now fully alert, Banoy strained, in the failing late-afternoon light, to peer into the dense ground foliage. And there it was again! This time he could definitely detect movement ... and it was coming his way.

Nervously he fingered the Japanese Type 38 carbine that Alejandro had entrusted to him back on his very first first day with the partisans ... a sign of his acceptance that had made him proud. There had unfortunately been only three precious cartridges available for it, and a few days ago he had fired one of them off in practice. He knew that if the movement he had detected were to turn into a threat to the partisan camp, he’d have to be sure to make his two shots count.

And now he was fairly certain that whatever was moving out there was coming down the trail he had been entrusted to watch.

Carefully Banoy raised the carbine to his shoulder, closed one eye and sighted along the barrel, as he had been taught, lining the sights up on the point where the trail opened onto the small clearing before him.

Madiosi-2021-036-Bataan23.jpg
Fingering the trigger, he waited expectantly.

Tanaka groaned inwardly.

Major Ohno’s jaw dropped.

Kinoshita stared.

From beside the lorry, Barb regarded all of them with a dreamy look, before promptly keeling over on the ground next to the vehicles right front wheel. At about the same time Natalie had emerged from the left side of the cab, leaning against the open door for support.

E82A37FB-C4F8-448E-B505-9B1E6A6867B3.jpeg

Ohno recovered first.

“Tanaka!” he bellowed. “What’s the meaning of this?”

“I can ... I can explain,” stammered Tanaka, his face ashen. Who would have guessed both nurses would have suddenly appeared like that?

“This had better be good!” snarled Ohno, striding over toward where Barb lay. “I’m listening, Tanaka. Out with it!”

“As I told you earlier, Major, our blocking position up in the hills was well positioned to intercept any escapees and ....”

“... and you found a couple of lost naked nurses wandering around and you thought maybe you should give them a lift home?” interjected Ohno sarcastically, as he knelt down next to where Barb lay, took a fist full of her hair and lifted her head to look into her expressionless face.

“Leave her alone!” cried Natalie, staggering around the front of the lorry.

But Kinoshita had anticipated Natalie’s coming to Barb's aid, and eager to redeem himself in the eyes of Ohno, managed to move swiftly enough to block her path, spin her about and pin her face-down against the engine bonnet.

“This is an outrage!” shouted Ohno, releasing Barb’s head and straightening up. “Captain Tanaka, consider yourself on report."

"Yessir,' breathed Tanaka, resignedly. This was going all wrong.

"And Kinoshita!"

"Yessir?"

"Get Tanaka's two American whores over to the interrogation hut. We'll see what they have to say about all this!"

“Yessir!” shouted Kinoshita, waving his men, who had been standing nearby gaping, forward.

"And you, Tanaka!" said Ohno who had moved close enough to be looking Tanaka straight in the eye. "I seem to recall from reading your file long ago, that your English is excellent."

"Yessir, that's true."

"Good. Then you can make yourself useful and save me the trouble of trying to make sense of what Kinoshita's sorry excuse for an interpreter might try to tell me these two bitches are saying under interrogation. Be so good as to follow Kinoshita and me."

Negotiations between Alejandro and Whitaker had come to an impasse.

“Look!” shouted Whitaker, angrily rising to his feet and pointing a finger in jabbing fashion at Alejandro. “No more arguments. I’m an officer in the U.S. Army. You are a Filipino civilian ... and quite probably a deserter to boot! As of this moment I’m taking command here, and from now on what I say goes! Got it?”

“May I remind you, Lieutenant Whitaker, that you’re presence here is because my men and I risked our lives to free you and yours.”

“And we’re grateful, but there is an opportunity staring us in the face here. If we take immediate action, under proper leadership, we can do the Japs both considerable harm and free more of my men!”

“Not with my help, or the help of my men.”

“Ah’d do as the Leew-ten-nent says if’n I was you,” drawled Clem, who had risen to his feet alongside Whitaker to level his gun at the Filipino’s chest.

Alejandro responded to the implied threat with a few rapid-fire Filipino words that instantly materialized several of his men with weapons pointed at the Americans.

“Let’s all take a step back now,” warned Norm soothingly.

But before anything else could happen the attention of everyone was diverted by the sound of a shot fired from beyond the camp.

From his elevated perch, Banoy had spotted a shadowy figure moving rapidly along the trail towards him. The figure had flitted in and out of sight at first, but as it came closer he tightened his finger in readiness against the trigger of his carbine. When he saw a flash of what he recognized as the coloring of a Japanese uniform he prepared to act. And as soon on as the Jap emerged in his sights at the edge of the clearing, he squeezed the trigger.

The recoil set him momentarily back on his haunches. But on recovering he saw a body sprawled on its back, arms flung back. It was wearing only a shirt, it's legs oddly bared, a dark and spreading bloodstain rapidly discoloring the shirt front.

But then ... there was movement again! And a second figure emerged from the foliage ... a bare chested man this time, who immediately flung away his weapon and dropped to his knees to bend over his fallen comrade.

Banay raised his carbine again, working the action to eject the spent cartridge and ram another, his last, into the chamber.

Squinting down the barrel he drew a bead on his target.

Trailing well behind Shirley as she rushed up the trail, Hiroko had been wary. He had wished that he could have reacted more quickly when she had overtaken him, brimming with excitement over the distant sound of voices. Hiroko had held back at first, fearful of the as yet unknown, but then he had chased after her, hoping that he might reach her before it might be too late.

He had not caught up with her yet when he heard it. The report of a single shot. Seconds later he reached her, lying on her back at the very edge of a small clearing ... shot in the chest.

He rushed forward, fell to his knees and bent over her. Placing his head near her face he listened for breathing. He pressed a finger to her neck. Nothing!

A sob escaped his throat, his body convulsed. No! How could this have happened? She was dead! Shot dead!

Slowly he raised his head, searching for the source of the shot that had killed her ... his love. Try as he might, he could detect nothing in the dense forest canopy or on the ground. But from not far away, he heard the shouts and the sounds of running feet headed in his direction.

Kinoshito's men worked swiftly to take charge of Barb and Natalie, bundling them off to Major Ohno's interrogation shed.

Ohno and Tanaka followed in their wake.

"Good that you're here, Tanaka," chortled Ohno. "It's about time someone showed you how to handle these American POWs properly. Hopefully, if and when you ever report back to General Homma, you can instruct him on the effectiveness of treating prisoners with absolute ruthlessness. It's quite simple, really. Apply a little pain to their most sensitive parts and they sing like canaries."

"Yessir." grunted Tanaka, doing his best to keep his raging sense of anger and resentment under control.

"Kinoshita!"

"Yes Major. Have your men string these two ladies up by their wrists to that roof support. Be sure to get them up high enough so that their toes barely touch the ground. I want them fully stretched out.

"Yessir."

0C26EE74-81C5-4D47-A288-CFA60A48ED97.jpeg

"And when you're finished with that, kindly wait outside while Captain Tanaka and I get on with this."

"Yessir."

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m enjoying the character development, quality style, and high paced action. Well done, Barbaria1, you’ve set an erotica in a setting I wouldn’t normally want to visit as Erotica and hooked me in! Thank you!

really looking forward to what happens next to Barbara and Natalie, looking promising for some potential non gunfire related torture!

Captain Tanaka, already has the situation well in hand. It’s my understanding that he has moved swiftly to cordon off the hills behind Lubao, sealing off the possibility that any escaped POWs will get far. I can assure you that Tanaka has the situation completely under control.”
Yes, well, when last seen, Tanaka was busy, er, encircling Barb and her friend in a lorry cab, and driving off somewhere.

“I want Tanaka brought to me immediately on his return! And he’d better have results to report or I will have his head!”
Looks like everyone is in trouble now...

“Consider yourself on report, Kinoshita. I’ll deal with you later!”
...even the people we've only just met.

This Ohno fellow (Ohshit?) is going to be difficult. I suspect someone will be committing seppuku shortly or something. I think Barb and Natalie should just stay in the lorry.

Then he, Tanaka, would return the comfort of his billet in Lubao and a much anticipated reunion with the comfort girl of his dreams.

But, alas, it was not to be. When Tanaka pulled up to the compound gate, he found Kinoshita busy overseeing the execution of a pair of American POWs, who had been stripped of their clothing, bound, blindfolded, lined up and kneeling, waiting to be shot.
Doesn't look like a good time to take the evening off, even if Maj. Ohno allows that sort of thing.

“My men are in position, Major. They had begun to bag some escapees by around the time I left. I imagine they have captured many more by now, In fact, I am on my way to report to Lieutenant General Homma on our success,” said Tanaka
That's the spirit. Brazen it out Tanaka!

“Very good. I’m sure Homma will be pleased to know that you are successfully covering for his incompetence.”

Tanaka said nothing and hoped his face did not reveal his contempt.
I think I will stick with Tanaka on this one. :mad: :mad::mad::mad:

But it really didn’t matter, because at that moment the cab door swung open, and a long bare feminine leg appeared. Moments later, Barb slipped to the ground, clutched at the cab door for support, blinked at the bright light, and took two unsteady steps forward before sinking to her knees.
Barb does know how to make a dramatic entrance, but likely won't like the scene she's just come into. :confused::eek::facepalm:

He had not caught up with her yet when he heard it. The report of a single shot. Seconds later he reached her, lying on her back at the very edge of a small clearing ... shot in the chest.

He rushed forward, fell to his knees and bent over her. Placing his head near her face he listened for breathing. He pressed a finger to her neck. Nothing!

A sob escaped his throat, his body convulsed. No! How could this have happened? She was dead! Shot dead!

Oh no! Tragedy on tragedy. There is a sad waste of nurses in this story, sometimes in the most heart breaking circumstances.

Reminds me of this story, there was quite a cast of locals present, and an adventure into the jungle to rescue some nurses too, as I remember

23. Bataan Peninsula, somewhere in the hills above Lubao, late afternoon of April 15, 1942

Banoy Igcasan, one of the very youngest of Alejandro’s partisans, and a recent addition to the band, stirred his limbs in the cramped space of his lookout post ... a small triangular-shaped bamboo scaffolding attached high off the ground to the trunks of three tropical hardwoods.

Banoy had been occupying his post for hours. He was bored and on the edge of sleep. But something had caught his attention ... a distant movement of some kind ... and he also thought he had heard a voice. But he wasn’t sure. He was always hearing noises that turned out to be nothing .. animals, birds, a breeze, and so on. And it may have only been Alejandro and that American officer that he heard, engaged in yet another argument over in the nearby camp.

But now fully alert, Banoy strained, in the failing late-afternoon light, to peer into the dense ground foliage. And there it was again! This time he could definitely detect movement ... and it was coming his way.

Nervously he fingered the Japanese Type 38 carbine that Alejandro had entrusted to him back on his very first first day with the partisans ... a sign of his acceptance that had made him proud. There had unfortunately been only three precious cartridges available for it, and a few days ago he had fired one of them off in practice. He knew that if the movement he had detected were to turn into a threat to the partisan camp, he’d have to be sure to make his two shots count.

And now he was fairly certain that whatever was moving out there was coming down the trail he had been entrusted to watch.

Carefully Banoy raised the carbine to his shoulder, closed one eye and sighted along the barrel, as he had been taught, lining the sights up on the point where the trail opened onto the small clearing before him.

Fingering the trigger, he waited expectantly.

Tanaka groaned inwardly.

Major Ohno’s jaw dropped.

Kinoshita stared.

From beside the lorry, Barb regarded all of them with a dreamy look, before promptly keeling over on the ground next to the vehicles right front wheel. At about the same time Natalie had emerged from the left side of the cab, leaning against the open door for support.

Ohno recovered first.

“Tanaka!” he bellowed. “What’s the meaning of this?”

“I can ... I can explain,” stammered Tanaka, his face ashen. Who would have guessed both nurses would have suddenly appeared like that?

“This had better be good!” snarled Ohno, striding over toward where Barb lay. “I’m listening, Tanaka. Out with it!”

“As I told you earlier, Major, our blocking position up in the hills was well positioned to intercept any escapees and ....”

“... and you found a couple of lost naked nurses wandering around and you thought maybe you should give them a lift home?” interjected Ohno sarcastically, as he knelt down next to where Barb lay, took a fist full of her hair and lifted her head to look into her expressionless face.

“Leave her alone!” cried Natalie, staggering around the front of the lorry.

But Kinoshita had anticipated Natalie’s coming to Barb's aid, and eager to redeem himself in the eyes of Ohno, managed to move swiftly enough to block her path, spin her about and pin her face-down against the engine bonnet.

“This is an outrage!” shouted Ohno, releasing Barb’s head and straightening up. “Captain Tanaka, consider yourself on report."

"Yessir,' breathed Tanaka, resignedly. This was going all wrong.

"And Kinoshita!"

"Yessir?"

"Get Tanaka's two American whores over to the interrogation hut. We'll see what they have to say about all this!"

“Yessir!” shouted Kinoshita, waving his men, who had been standing nearby gaping, forward.

"And you, Tanaka!" said Ohno who had moved close enough to be looking Tanaka straight in the eye. "I seem to recall from reading your file long ago, that your English is excellent."

"Yessir, that's true."

"Good. Then you can make yourself useful and save me the trouble of trying to make sense of what Kinoshita's sorry excuse for an interpreter might try to tell me these two bitches are saying under interrogation. Be so good as to follow Kinoshita and me."

Negotiations between Alejandro and Whitaker had come to an impasse.

“Look!” shouted Whitaker, angrily rising to his feet and pointing a finger in jabbing fashion at Alejandro. “No more arguments. I’m an officer in the U.S. Army. You are a Filipino civilian ... and quite probably a deserter to boot! As of this moment I’m taking command here, and from now on what I say goes! Got it?”

“May I remind you, Lieutenant Whitaker, that you’re presence here is because my men and I risked our lives to free you and yours.”

“And we’re grateful, but there is an opportunity staring us in the face here. If we take immediate action, under proper leadership, we can do the Japs both considerable harm and free more of my men!”

“Not with my help, or the help of my men.”

“Ah’d do as the Leew-ten-nent says if’n I was you,” drawled Clem, who had risen to his feet alongside Whitaker to level his gun at the Filipino’s chest.

Alejandro responded to the implied threat with a few rapid-fire Filipino words that instantly materialized several of his men with weapons pointed at the Americans.

“Let’s all take a step back now,” warned Norm soothingly.

But before anything else could happen the attention of everyone was diverted by the sound of a shot fired from beyond the camp.

From his elevated perch, Banoy had spotted a shadowy figure moving rapidly along the trail towards him. The figure had flitted in and out of sight at first, but as it came closer he tightened his finger in readiness against the trigger of his carbine. When he saw a flash of what he recognized as the coloring of a Japanese uniform he prepared to act. And as soon on as the Jap emerged in his sights at the edge of the clearing, he squeezed the trigger.

The recoil set him momentarily back on his haunches. But on recovering he saw a body sprawled on its back, arms flung back. It was wearing only a shirt, it's legs oddly bared, a dark and spreading bloodstain rapidly discoloring the shirt front.

But then ... there was movement again! And a second figure emerged from the foliage ... a bare chested man this time, who immediately flung away his weapon and dropped to his knees to bend over his fallen comrade.

Banay raised his carbine again, working the action to eject the spent cartridge and ram another, his last, into the chamber.

Squinting down the barrel he drew a bead on his target.

Trailing well behind Shirley as she rushed up the trail, Hiroko had been wary. He had wished that he could have reacted more quickly when she had overtaken him, brimming with excitement over the distant sound of voices. Hiroko had held back at first, fearful of the as yet unknown, but then he had chased after her, hoping that he might reach her before it might be too late.

Slowly he raised his head, searching for the source of the shot that had killed her ... his love. Try as he might, he could detect nothing in the dense forest canopy or on the ground. But from not far away, he heard the shouts and the sounds of running feet headed in his direction.

Kinoshito's men worked swiftly to take charge of Barb and Natalie, bundling them off to Major Ohno's interrogation shed.

Ohno and Tanaka followed in their wake.

"Good that you're here, Tanaka," chortled Ohno. "It's about time someone showed you how to handle these American POWs properly. Hopefully, if and when you ever report back to General Homma, you can instruct him on the effectiveness of treating prisoners with absolute ruthlessness. It's quite simple, really. Apply a little pain to their most sensitive parts and they sing like canaries."

"Yessir." grunted Tanaka, doing his best to keep his raging sense of anger and resentment under control.

"Kinoshita!"

"Yes Major. Have your men string these two ladies up by their wrists to that roof support. Be sure to get them up high enough so that their toes barely touch the ground. I want them fully stretched out.

"Yessir."

"And when you're finished with that, kindly wait outside while Captain Tanaka and I get on with this."

"Yessir."
Where to begin ... cataclysmic! Here are a few of the aspects of this most recent episode that caught my attention ...

- Banoy Igcasan ... what a great name! Shame his patience behind the trigger is not quite so great!
- Poor, poor Shirley, to have come so far ... her death touched me quite a lot tbh
- Alejandro and Whitaker's lack of cohesion ... are things between them about to get worse or better?
- The interrogation scene is to follow ... my favourite!

Loved it Barb, as always.

I shall not quote and comment here -there are too many sections to savor and love. The high level of writing seems to keep pushing beyond the previous highs over and over. Exciting, moving, touching, arousing, suspenseful, horrifying, and titillating. I could add more words, but to no further benefit.
Barbara - a GREAT chapter! I cannot express my heartbreak at the death of Shirley - so wrong and so unfair. The numerous cruel executions by the Japanese were disgusting, but Shirley brought the tragedy home in a painfully personal way!
My gratitude for you giving us such a moving story!
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Back
Top Bottom