Bobnearled = Bobinder

Go to CruxDreams.com
Amazing work Bobinder, it looks authentic. I bet it did take a lot of time and effort. I hope you find more inspiration, and share more artwork.
Thanks Hondo. It does get to be time-consuming, but it is rather enjoyable too. The biggest problem is when the real world keeps getting in the way. Meanwhile I am collecting source material for projects and inspiration, so keep watching. Regards, Bob

I Found a Picture of You - Part 2

'The powers that be,
That force us to live like we do,
Bring me to my knees
When I see what they've done to you.
But I'll die as I stand here today,
Knowing that deep in my heart,
They'll fall to ruin one day
For making us part.'

From 'Back on the Chain Gang' by The Pretenders 1984.

In accordance with my ethic of respecting the model, I became curious about the Russian female soldier whose face I had manipulated in my 'Berlin' picture. Her name is Roza Shanina. A former student and kindergarten teacher, following the death of her brother in the Siege of Leningrad in 1941, she volunteered to serve in the Red Army, training as a front line sniper and rising to the rank of Sergeant.

In September 1944, Roza's Division became the first Soviet unit to enter East Prussia. Decorated and wounded, Roza's exploits were reported in the Soviet newspapers and the Western press, particularly in Canada, where she was called "The Unseen Terror of East Prussia". A modest person, she once wrote that she had been overrated. She is described as a person of unusual will with a genuine, bright nature, a straightforward character who values courage and the absence of egotism in people.

On 12 December 1944, an enemy sniper shot Roza in the right shoulder. She recovered, and on 15 January reached the East Prussian town of Eydtkuhnen (Chernyshevskoye), where she wore white snow camouflage. Due to the Red Army policy of preserving snipers from the heaviest engagements, she was ordered back from the front line. However, she felt compelled to continue killing her enemy, insisting, "I will return after the battle."

On 27 January 1945, Roza was severely wounded whilst shielding an injured artillery officer. Two soldiers found her disembowelled, obviously in extreme pain, with her chest torn open by a shell fragment. Despite the best attempts to save her life, Roza died the following day. She was twenty years old. Nurse Yekaterina Radkina remembered Roza telling her that she regretted having done so little. She had scored fifty-nine confirmed kills.

Roza's mother ultimately lost four of her children killed in action.

2,484 Soviet female snipers were deployed during the Great Patriotic War and their kills are estimated to be at least 11,280. More than twenty-six million Russian people died as a direct consequence of World War 2 (some sources say far more.) Over fifteen per cent of the population died for a country whose government treated them as expendable, repelling the invasion and pushing the Eastern Front back to Berlin. And for that they have my undying respect. Please therefore permit my indulgence in recognition of them all with these pictures.

Roza Shanina, 3 April 1924 - 28 January 1945

ifpy1 Red Army Snipers 2.jpg ifpy2 roza_shanina__a_soviet_sniper.jpg ifpy3 oQ4sVtK.jpg ifpy4 roza_shanina_1.jpg ifpy5 9244962692_c385854ecd_b.jpg ifpy6 Soviet Female Snipers in the 1940s (17).jpg ifpy7 Soviet Female Snipers in the 1940s (28).jpg ifpy8 28657348245_d5c57fceb6_o.jpg ifpy9 1457005416_soviet-female-snipers-in-the-1940s-30.jpg ifpy10 roza-shanina bnmk.jpg

Last edited:
I Found a Picture of You - Part 2

'The powers that be,
That force us to live like we do,
Bring me to my knees
When I see what they've done to you.
But I'll die as I stand here today,
Knowing that deep in my heart,
They'll fall to ruin one day
For making us part.'

From 'Back on the Chain Gang' by The Pretenders 1984.

In accordance with my ethic of respecting the model, I became curious about the Russian female soldier whose face I had manipulated in my 'Berlin' picture. Her name is Roza Shanina. A former student and kindergarten teacher, following the death of her brother in the Siege of Leningrad in 1941, she volunteered to serve in the Red Army, training as a front line sniper and rising to the rank of Sergeant.

In September 1944, Roza's Division became the first Soviet unit to enter East Prussia. Decorated and wounded, Shanina's exploits were reported in the Soviet newspapers and the Western press, particularly in Canada, where she was called "The Unseen Terror of East Prussia". A modest person, she once wrote that she had been overrated. She is described as a person of unusual will with a genuine, bright nature, a straightforward character who values courage and the absence of egotism in people.

On 12 December 1944, an enemy sniper shot Roza in the right shoulder. She recovered, and on 15 January reached the East Prussian town of Eydtkuhnen (Chernyshevskoye), where she wore white snow camouflage. Due to the Red Army policy of preserving snipers from the heaviest engagements, she was ordered back from the front line. However, she felt compelled to continue killing her enemy, insisting, "I will return after the battle."

On 27 January 1945, Roza was severely wounded whilst shielding an injured artillery officer. Two soldiers found her disembowelled, obviously in extreme pain, with her chest torn open by a shell fragment. Despite the best attempts to save her life, Roza died the following day. She was twenty years old. Nurse Yekaterina Radkina remembered Roza telling her that she regretted having done so little. She had scored fifty-nine confirmed kills.

Roza's mother ultimately lost four of her children killed in action.

2,484 Soviet female snipers were deployed during the Great Patriotic War and their kills are estimated to be at least 11,280. More than twenty-six million Russian people died as a direct consequence of World War 2 (some sources say far more.) Over fifteen per cent of the population died for a country whose government treated them as expendable, repelling the invasion and pushing the Eastern Front back to Berlin. And for that they have my undying respect. Please therefore permit my indulgence in recognition of them all with these pictures.

Roza Shanina, 3 April 1924 - 28 January 1945

View attachment 442621 View attachment 442622 View attachment 442623 View attachment 442624 View attachment 442625 View attachment 442626 View attachment 442627 View attachment 442628 View attachment 442629 View attachment 442630
They also have my undying respect Bobinder. Thank you for posting about Roza, she was an extremely brave soldier.
When I think of Russian snipers, I recall the excellent 2001 movie "Enemy At The Gates" which describes the events surrounding the battle of Stalingrad in the winter if 1942/43. Even though the movie is fictional, it is loosely based on Soviet sniper Vasili Zaitsev.

Thanks Hondo. Roza is one of many - the numbers are so large they're inconceivable. But I made an incidental connection with her by doing the manipulation. I am glad I was able to identify her and to reveal her face this time.

'Enemy at the Gates' is a powerful film - I had forgotten it was 15 years ago! Rachel Weisz commented on how privileged she felt to be playing the role of a Soviet female soldier - representing one of many thousands who were involved. I really must watch it again.

EnemyAtTheGates_003 200.jpg fhd001EAG_Rachel_Weisz_004 150.jpg lawweisz 150.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Hondo. Roza is one of many - the numbers are so large they're inconceivable. But I made an incidental connection with her by doing the manipulation. I am glad I was able to identify her and to reveal her face this time.

'Enemy at the Gates' is a powerful film - I had forgotten it was 15 years ago! Rachel Weisz commented on how privileged she felt to be playing the role of a Soviet female soldier - representing one of many thousands who were involved. I really must watch it again.
It is one of my favorite war movies, I had a Russian lady friend recommend it to me several years ago.

I never knew women were employed in such tasks, thank you bobinder for adding to my knowledge of the world.
I Found a Picture of You - Part 4

Indeed OS, the Red Army favoured female snipers particularly because they were meticulous, patient and cool-headed.

The Soviet Communist ideal embodied an enlightened view of equality, including equality of the sexes. Women and men were equally capable of performing the same tasks in combat. I do not know if the WW2 Soviet Navy had female members although they served in the Marines, and the Red Army employed women in all fighting capacities. Many of them were awarded the distinction of Heroine of the Soviet Union, sometimes posthumously.

They fought as tank crews, flew fighter planes in combat and formed the entire complement of the feared 'Night Witches' offensive bomber regiments. The military traffic controllers and combat nurses were also armed in anticipation of offensive action, especially since the latter were engaged in evacuating the wounded under fire on the battlefield.

Let's meet some of these amazing women.

1 s1 soviet-female-snipers-1943.jpg
1. Snipers on a training exercise in 1943.

2 cm1 nurse-kolesnikova-1943.jpg
2. Combat Nurse Kolesnikova evacuating a wounded soldier from the battlefield, using a dog sledge in 1943.

3 cm2 A Sokolova combat medic.jpg
3. Combat Medic A. Sokolova.

4 cm3 doctors-and-nurses-237th-infantry-division.jpg
4. Doctors and nurses of the 237th Infantry Division.

5 fp1 lydia-litvyak fighter pilot.jpg
5. Lydia Litvyak, fighter pilot.

6 fp2 fighter-pilot-antonina-lebedeva.jpg
6. Antonina Lebedeva, fighter pilot.

7 fp3 yekaterina-budanova-lydia-litvyak-fighter-ace-1942.jpg
7. Yekaterina Budanova and Lydia Litvyak again, both fighter pilot aces in 1942.

8 m1 combat-medic-marine-infantry-1943.jpg
8. A Combat Medic of the Soviet Marine Infantry in 1943. Unfortunately I cannot identify her name.

9 m2 Ekaterina Demina, front-line reconnaissance Soviet marines.jpg
9. Ekaterina Demina, the only woman who served in front line reconnaissance in the Soviet Marines during WW2.

I Found a Picture of You - Part 5

10 nw1 rufina-gasheva-nataly-meklin-hsu-night-witches.jpg
10. Rufina Gasheva and Nataly Meklin, both Heroines of the Soviet Union and members of a Night Witches bomber regiment.

11 nw2 rufina-gasheva-848 missions-navigator nw.jpg
11. Rufina Gasheva again. She flew 848 night missions as navigator in her bomber crew.

12 nw3 natalia-meklin-kravtsova-sofia-burzaeva-polina-gelman-nw.jpg
12. Natalia Meklin Kravtsova, Sofia Burzaeva and Polina Gelman, the Night Witches in 1943.

13 nw4 staff-588-46-guards-night-bomber-regt.jpg
13. Staff of 588-46 Guards Night Bomber Regiment (the Night Witches.)

14 nw5 The Night Witches.jpg
14. More members of the Night Witches.

15 nw6 evdokia-pasko-night-witches.jpg
15. Evdokia Pasko of the Night Witches.

16 nw7 evdokiya-nikulina-pilot-hsu.jpg
16. Evdokiya Nikulina, Heroine of the Soviet Union, bomber pilot in the Night Witches.

17 nw8 hiuaz-dospanova-night-witches.jpg
17. Hiuaz Dospanova of the Night Witches 46th Guards Night Bomber Regiment.

18 nw9 maria-dolina bomber pilot hsu.jpg
18. Maria Dolina, Heroine of the Soviet Union, bomber pilot.

Last edited:
I Found a Picture of You - Part 6

19 nw10 nina-ulyanenko-night-witches.jpg
19. Nina Ulyanenko, Night Witches 46th Guards Night Bomber Regiment.

20 nw11 yekaterina-ryabova-night-witches-hsu-pilot.jpg
20. Yekaterina Ryabova, Heroine of the Soviet Union, bomber pilot in the Night Witches.

21 nw12 yekaterina-ryabova-bomber-pilot-hsu-may-1945.jpg
21. Yekaterina Ryabova again, in May 1945.

22 nwd1 captain-maria-dolina-dive-bomber-pilot.jpg
22. Maria Dolina again as a Captain in the Soviet Air Force, dive bomber pilot.

23 nwd2 dive-bomber-sqn-cdr nadezhda-nikiforovna-fedutenko.jpg
23. Guards Major Nadezhda Nikiforovna Fedutenko, dive bomber squadron commander.

24 mtc1 pvt-luba-rosenowa-berlin-july-45.jpg
24. Private Luba Rosenowa, military traffic controller in Berlin, May 1945.

25 mtc2 Maria Limanskaya-berlin-1945.jpg
25. Maria Limanskaya, military traffic controller in Berlin in May 1945 - famous as the girl filmed directing traffic at the Brandenburg Gate, and who consequently became a symbol of the city's liberation.

26 mtc3 traffic-controllers-wolchow-front-01-01-1943.jpg
26. Military traffic controllers on the Wolchow front on 1 January 1943.

27 s2 roza-shanina-sniper.jpg
27. Another charming portrait of Roza Shanina, a sniper with 59 confirmed kills.

Last edited:
When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains,
And the women come out to cut up what remains,
Jest roll to your rifle and blow out your brains
spacer_bigger.jpg
An' go to your Gawd like a soldier.

(Kipling 'The Young British Soldier')

When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains,
And the women come out to cut up what remains,
Jest roll to your rifle and blow out your brains
spacer_bigger.jpg
An' go to your Gawd like a soldier.

(Kipling 'The Young British Soldier')
Thanks Eul - some of them did exactly that to avoid capture.

WHEN the Himalayan peasant meets the he-bear in his pride,
He shouts to scare the monster, who will often turn aside.
But the she-bear thus accosted rends the peasant tooth and nail.
For the female of the species is more deadly than the male.

Rudyard Kipling 'The Female of the Species'

Fun movie that plays on the theme of female Soviet fighter pilots is "Jet Pilot" with John Wayne and Janet Leigh. She starts out as a spy, sent to defect to the US and learn military secrets. John Wayne, of course, falls for her and marries her (in 1957, you had to do that in order to get a girl pregnant in movies). He finds out that the US is about to imprison his wife, so they steal her MiG and an American jet and defect to the USSR. Wayne finds out about all kinds of Soviet secrets, after crashing his own plane (to keep the advanced jet from falling into Russian hands). Leigh finds out her husband is about to be drugged to find out his secrets, and rescues him, and they defect back to the West. Leigh does a fun job portraying a competent female Soviet pilot.
jet-pilot-john-wayne-movie-magnet-0025-700x700.jpg

In harem pants. :doh::D

Fun movie that plays on the theme of female Soviet fighter pilots is "Jet Pilot" with John Wayne and Janet Leigh. She starts out as a spy, sent to defect to the US and learn military secrets. John Wayne, of course, falls for her and marries her (in 1957, you had to do that in order to get a girl pregnant in movies). He finds out that the US is about to imprison his wife, so they steal her MiG and an American jet and defect to the USSR. Wayne finds out about all kinds of Soviet secrets, after crashing his own plane (to keep the advanced jet from falling into Russian hands). Leigh finds out her husband is about to be drugged to find out his secrets, and rescues him, and they defect back to the West. Leigh does a fun job portraying a competent female Soviet pilot.
Thanks Jolly, that's a new one for me. I'll look out for it!

Considered one of the worst films of all time. It was filmed in 1949-50 but not released until 1957. John Wayne called it one of the worst films he ever made.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050562/?ref_=nv_sr_1
I was trying to look up something to confirm a story I rad a long time ago about women being better marksmen than men because their eyes are better at picking out differences in color and therefore seeing through camouflage. I haven't been able to find any article yet, but I came across this story I had never heard before. It seems there is a lot of material here for some of our writers and artist to work with. Also, the title sounds like something from a 50s men's adventure magazine.:D
http://www.news.com.au/national/anz...h/news-story/3b48ba23d11c737fa89bc8e80af46fa9

Considered one of the worst films of all time. It was filmed in 1949-50 but not released until 1957. John Wayne called it one of the worst films he ever made.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050562/?ref_=nv_sr_1
I was trying to look up something to confirm a story I rad a long time ago about women being better marksmen than men because their eyes are better at picking out differences in color and therefore seeing through camouflage. I haven't been able to find any article yet, but I came across this story I had never heard before. It seems there is a lot of material here for some of our writers and artist to work with. Also, the title sounds like something from a 50s men's adventure magazine.:D
http://www.news.com.au/national/anz...h/news-story/3b48ba23d11c737fa89bc8e80af46fa9

Thanks Naraku - I love the film review and it's probably more entertaining than the film!

The Soviets certainly valued female snipers for their exceptional abilities. A lot of mythology has emerged from the First World War, especially to account for reversals of fortune, although Churchill's grand strategy of Gallipoli was fatally flawed from the beginning. But, as you say, there is certainly potential inspiration for great drama.

Whilst there are isolated examples of females of various nationalities fighting in the front lines during WW1, it seems to be the Russians again who were organising large numbers of women in combat roles.

In 1917, in a last-ditch effort to inspire the mass of war-weary soldiers to continue fighting in WW1, the Russian Provisional Government created fifteen formations of women-only battalions. This included the 1st Russian Women’s Battalion of Death, commanded by Maria Bochkareva which were called into battle against the Germans during the Kerensky Offensive. The women performed well in combat, taking 200 prisoners and suffered few casualties. It is an interesting story -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_Bochkareva

Of course, there is also a film (which I have not seen) -
https://www.moskvaer.com/another-film-controversy-womens-battalion-of-death/

wbd Bochkareva_Maria_LOC_ggbain_26866.jpg wbd 15969761337_a02e434819_b.jpg wbd 3-1.jpg wbd batallion-04.jpg wbd wb04.jpg wbd Company in formation.jpg wbd women_soldiers1x.jpg

Back
Top Bottom