Bobnearled = Bobinder

Go to CruxDreams.com
Thanks Naraku - I love the film review and it's probably more entertaining than the film!

The Soviets certainly valued female snipers for their exceptional abilities. A lot of mythology has emerged from the First World War, especially to account for reversals of fortune, although Churchill's grand strategy of Gallipoli was fatally flawed from the beginning. But, as you say, there is certainly potential inspiration for great drama.

Whilst there are isolated examples of females of various nationalities fighting in the front lines during WW1, it seems to be the Russians again who were organising large numbers of women in combat roles.

In 1917, in a last-ditch effort to inspire the mass of war-weary soldiers to continue fighting in WW1, the Russian Provisional Government created fifteen formations of women-only battalions. This included the 1st Russian Women’s Battalion of Death, commanded by Maria Bochkareva which were called into battle against the Germans during the Kerensky Offensive. The women performed well in combat, taking 200 prisoners and suffered few casualties. It is an interesting story -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_Bochkareva

Of course, there is also a film (which I have not seen) -
https://www.moskvaer.com/another-film-controversy-womens-battalion-of-death/

View attachment 443384 View attachment 443385 View attachment 443386 View attachment 443387 View attachment 443388 View attachment 443389 View attachment 443390
But if caught the Geneva Convention Rules were largely ignored... She is not in uniform after all...

hang 370.jpg

These are all by 'Bor'

Tree

But if caught the Geneva Convention Rules were largely ignored... She is not in uniform after all...

View attachment 443402

These are all by 'Bor'

Tree
Often the fate of the WW2 Russian partisans who were not recognised as regular soldiers by the Wehrmacht.

Interestingly, following the conclusion of WW1, the Russians executed Maria Bochkareva, the erstwhile commander of the Women's Battalion of Death. She was captured by the Bolsheviks and shot by the Cheka on 16 May 1920.

Sometimes you just can't win.

Considered one of the worst films of all time. It was filmed in 1949-50 but not released until 1957. John Wayne called it one of the worst films he ever made.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050562/?ref_=nv_sr_1
Likely true - it won't win awards for the script, but it's got some great aerial shots and effects for its time, and I found it fun. It's an RKO film made by Howard Hughes, who was hoping to get into Janet Leigh's pants at the time, and she spends more time looking like a Playboy hopeful, in her chunky sweaters and sexy outfits, than a dour Russian soldier-girl. I think one review said it was about Howard Hughes filming airplanes and then he hammered a story around it. In that way, it sounds like the "Titanic" of its day. Janet Leigh is easy to look at, in any case.

Likely true - it won't win awards for the script, but it's got some great aerial shots and effects for its time, and I found it fun. It's an RKO film made by Howard Hughes, who was hoping to get into Janet Leigh's pants at the time, and she spends more time looking like a Playboy hopeful, in her chunky sweaters and sexy outfits, than a dour Russian soldier-girl. I think one review said it was about Howard Hughes filming airplanes and then he hammered a story around it. In that way, it sounds like the "Titanic" of its day. Janet Leigh is easy to look at, in any case.
Okay, thanks, I'll keep an open mind. Sounds very much like a product of the Cold War!

jp Jet Pilot 2.jpg
"And this here's a manual choke for cold starting..."

jp Annex - Leigh, Janet (Jet Pilot)_NRFPT_06.jpg jp jet-pilot-detail.jpg jp jet-pilot-janet-leigh-1950-released-everett.jpg jp jet-pilot x.jpg jp Annex - Wayne, John (Jet Pilot)_NRFPT_08.jpg jp jet-pilot.jpgjp photo_87.jpg
Yeah, she looks like she could shoot him down any day!

Last edited:
Among the most fearsome fighters against ISIS are the Kurdish women's battalions http://www.reuters.com/article/us-mideast-crisis-mosul-womenfighters-idUSKBN12Y2DC I sense a story coming on...

View attachment 442843 View attachment 442844 View attachment 442845

Stooping to a new level of sub-human existance, ISIS has beheaded a female Kurdish soldier in Kobane. They posted pictures of a number of dead soldiers online, including one of the young mother who has been called a brave fighter.

ISIS soldiers additionally posted a photo online of dead female Peshmerga soldiers. The assaults took place in Syria.

It seems the real war on women has nothing to do with Republicans or conservatives. Islam is responsible for the furtherance of more brutality against women, suppression of women, and, yes, murder of women than any entity in the western hemisphere with the possible exception of abortion clinics. This latest beheading is merely a logical inevitability of a misogynistic society where honor killings are permissible, if not encouraged.

View attachment 444299

Ekin Van, a PKK female militant, was killed in a battle on 10 August. However, hours later, images of the body stripped naked on the streets were shared among Turkish soldiers, before they went viral.Twitter
Turkey has found itself in a soup after naked images of a female Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) member killed during a gun battle were allegedly shared by the Turkish Special Forces. The Turkish government has ordered a probe into the scandal that threatens to further anger the oppressed Kurds in the country.
Turkish media reported that Kevser Elturk, aka “Ekin Van”, was a “PKK terrorist” killed by a special operations team on 10 August in a rural area of the Varto district – Gimgim. According to Save Kobane, a pro-Kurdish group: “The photo of the fallen guerrilla (without any censor bar) was initially shared by the Turkish security forces who took the picture, circulating within Turkish nationalistic networks who have been celebrating the picture with pride.”
The images, which since have been widely shared on social media, have raised much public anger against the NATO ally. The pro-Kurdish groups also alleged that Ekin Van was tortured and killed, after she was captured on 10 August in “full uniform.”
If the charges against the Turkish army are proved, then it would mean that the NATO member could be held responsible for breaching the Geneva Convention.

The office of Mus governor, in an official statement, said that it has launched an “administrative and criminal investigation” against those who shared the images, Todays Zaman reported.
The incident also triggered widespread condemnation. Idris Baluken, parliamentary group chairman of Peoples’ Democratic Party (HDP), a left-wing and pro-Kurdish political party in Turkey, said on Twitter that the people who “stripped the dead body of a female terrorist were no different from the Islamic State (Isis) terrorists”.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stooping to a new level of sub-human existance, ISIS has beheaded a female Kurdish soldier in Kobane. They posted pictures of a number of dead soldiers online, including one of the young mother who has been called a brave fighter.

ISIS soldiers additionally posted a photo online of dead female Peshmerga soldiers. The assaults took place in Syria.

It seems the real war on women has nothing to do with Republicans or conservatives. Islam is responsible for the furtherance of more brutality against women, suppression of women, and, yes, murder of women than any entity in the western hemisphere with the possible exception of abortion clinics. This latest beheading is merely a logical inevitability of a misogynistic society where honor killings are permissible, if not encouraged.

View attachment 444299
Hi Michele, the news story about Rehana's reported death at the hands of ISIS dates from 27 October 2014, at which time the incident was denied by the Kurdish Resistance, of which she was a member.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/kurdish-resistance-denies-isis-claims-4519763

Conflicts of this type produce sensational and shocking claims, both true and untrue, designed to make emotions run high and it is very hard to unravel the truth in the aftermath, let alone in the heat of the moment.

Whilst few people would deny that ISIS have executed people of both sexes, members of Muslim communities live peacefully in countries away from the conflict, whilst fearing persecution because of a negative world view of their culture and religion. Propaganda is a powerful weapon and we both know, from our own contributions to this forum, how easy it is to fake photographic evidence of all kinds.

I understand that you feel angry but I think we need to be very careful about how we respond to these things. Regards, Bob

I understand that you feel angry but I think we need to be very careful about how we respond to these things. Regards, Bob
I agree. I think it is normal and natural to be angry when reprehensible people like ISIL do things like this in the name of some fanatical adherence to any ideology or religion. However, it is important to keep in mind that the vast majority of Muslims do not live in the Arab world anymore. There are more Muslims in Indonesia, for example, than in Saudi Arabia, and there are as many "denominations" in Islam as there are in Christianity. I would hate to see my Muslim colleagues at work, or the Muslim teenagers in our schools, most of whom are in North America precisely because their families were targets of this type of fanaticism, lumped in with fanatical terrorists. That said, I don't mean to say one should not feel angry or even enraged by ISIL actions. The Kurdish women who are fighting ISIL are similarly angry, and I believe many, if not most of them are Muslim.

I only reported (integrally) an article found in the internet. I did not even express my opinion.
I've read about the possibility that ‘Rehana’ may be still alive and safe in Turkey, but there is no important evidence about this.
I think violence is violence, even when they pretend to justify it with religious contrasts. The Kurdish people is almost totally Muslim, but in the past and in the present they have received violence and death by other Muslims.
M.P. (Gabrieleknight)

I only reported (integrally) an article found in the internet. I did not even express my opinion.
I've read about the possibility that ‘Rehana’ may be still alive and safe in Turkey, but there is no important evidence about this.
I think violence is violence, even when they pretend to justify it with religious contrasts. The Kurdish people is almost totally Muslim, but in the past and in the present they have received violence and death by other Muslims.
M.P. (Gabrieleknight)
Sorry, Michele: I misunderstood something somewhere, there. Thanks for clarifying.:)

I would hate to see my Muslim colleagues at work, or the Muslim teenagers in our schools, most of whom are in North America precisely because their families were targets of this type of fanaticism, lumped in with fanatical terrorists.
Indeed, and I'd add Muslim doctors and surgeons
(including a brilliant woman surgeon, still a rare species not just among Muslims)
who've treated me and others dear to me when we've been badly ill.

Here's a heartwarming story! :)

xmas tree Baghdad.jpg

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...as-tree-baghdad-christians-isis-a7481561.html

Yes, thank you Madi - it's Sassi's avatar, but I was unable to find the complete picture until you posted it here. I think it's by Chris Ortega. Very beautiful. Many thanks.
:doh: that's why it was familiar - of course!
I found it on a website about a month ago, I don't remember which one, but the picture is almost as beautiful as she...

Thanks Repertor. I had seen the first episode and was quite impressed by the quality. Although to military and aviation historians they will always be the 'Night Witches', I believe the name derives from German references to 'Nachthexen' and it is perhaps slightly unfortunate that the Russians felt the need to soften their image.

(From Wiki-) They flew open-cockpit Polikarpov Po-2 biplanes, a 1928 trainer design which could carry only six bombs at a time, so 8 or more missions per night were often necessary. Although the aircraft were obsolete and slow, the pilots made daring use of their exceptional manoeuvrability; they had the advantage of having a maximum speed that was lower than the stall speed of both the Messerschmitt Bf 109 and the Focke-Wulf Fw 190, and as a result, German pilots found them very difficult to shoot down. An attack technique of the night bombers was to idle the engine near the target and glide to the bomb release point, with only wind noise left to reveal their location. German soldiers likened the sound to broomsticks and named the pilots "Night Witches." Due to the weight of the bombs and the low altitude of flight, the women carried no parachutes.

Whether 'Night Witches' or 'Night Swallows', their exploits are legendary and I am grateful for the video link you have supplied. I shall watch some more episodes, thank you.

Back
Top Bottom