Bobnearled = Bobinder

Go to CruxDreams.com
Thank you, and thanks for looking - it must be out there somewhere. Perhaps 'Urban Friday' is some kind of veiled reference to Good Friday?
I believe I have tracked down your Urban Friday stamp Bobinder. The stamp is part of a series of satirical and narrative images in the form of postage stamps by a commercial/advertising photographer named Vincent O'Byrne. He works out of Dublin.
The stamp is part of a series called Post Photography. This series was one of the first bodies of work to receive the Master Qualified European Photographer with the Federation European Photographers (FEP) in 2006.
Here is the stamp, and a few others in the series:

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Last edited:
I believe I have tracked down your Urban Friday stamp Bobinder. The stamp is part of a series of satirical and narrative images in the form of postage stamps by a commercial/advertising photographer named Vincent O'Byrne. He works out of Dublin.
The stamp is part of a series called Post Photography. This series was one of the first bodies of work to receive the Master Qualified European Photographer with the Federation European Photographers (FEP) in 2006.

View attachment 410525View attachment 410526View attachment 410527View attachment 410528View attachment 410529
Impressive, Hondo!

That must have taken a fair bit of detective work!

View attachment 410525View attachment 410526View attachment 410527View attachment 410528View attachment 410529
Thanks very much Hondo. And thanks for the research - I didn't know about the other stamps in the series - altogether a commentary on the religious establishment. Now we can see how small the original image was! Vincent O' Byrne may be one to watch. Regards, B

Thanks very much Hondo. And thanks for the research - I didn't know about the other stamps in the series - altogether a commentary on the religious establishment. Now we can see how small the original image was! Vincent O' Byrne may be one to watch. Regards, B
You're welcome Bobinder!

Seditio Sicarii 4 after Passion Play

Seditio Sicarii 4 is a drawing which owes its origins entirely to a Pilar Olivares photograph of a passion play performed in 2010. Admittedly I was initially misled by the potentially androgynous, clean-shaven character on the cross, since the photograph accompanied an article about actresses seeking parts in passion plays. I jumped to the conclusion that one of them had (not for the first time) obtained the starring role and was, furthermore, performing topless! In hindsight, I think the photograph shows a male actor, although my drawing indicates a female.

In all other respects I have simply made a faithful copy of the picture in pencil on A4 paper. I have even retained the foot rest which is a necessary convenience for the actor, although in this form I consider it archaeologically unconvincing. As with the Urban Friday picture previously discussed, I found the low level viewpoint appealing, since this always gives an impression of the height from which the figure is suspended and is visually dramatic. This is further enhanced by the upturned head, putting the face almost out of view, and exposing the underside of the jaw and throat.

In my opinion, the Roman uniforms in the photograph look too decorative and unconvincing for Oberammergau, but I have no further information about this passion play. Can anybody furnish details about the actors and location?

bbpp-1 Pilar Olivares.jpg bbpp-2 Seditio Sicarii 4 after passion play.jpg bbpp-3 Seditio Sicarii 4 cf Pilar Olivares.jpg

Seditio Sicarii 4 is a drawing which owes its origins entirely to a Pilar Olivares photograph of a passion play performed in 2010. Admittedly I was initially misled by the potentially androgynous, clean-shaven character on the cross, since the photograph accompanied an article about actresses seeking parts in passion plays. I jumped to the conclusion that one of them had (not for the first time) obtained the starring role and was, furthermore, performing topless! In hindsight, I think the photograph shows a male actor, although my drawing indicates a female.

In all other respects I have simply made a faithful copy of the picture in pencil on A4 paper. I have even retained the foot rest which is a necessary convenience for the actor, although in this form I consider it archaeologically unconvincing. As with the Urban Friday picture previously discussed, I found the low level viewpoint appealing, since this always gives an impression of the height from which the figure is suspended and is visually dramatic. This is further enhanced by the upturned head, putting the face almost out of view, and exposing the underside of the jaw and throat.

In my opinion, the Roman uniforms in the photograph look too decorative and unconvincing for Oberammergau, but I have no further information about this passion play. Can anybody furnish details about the actors and location?

View attachment 420936 View attachment 420937 View attachment 420938
:very_hot::beer::clapping:
...but no, I have no idea of the source...

View attachment 420936 View attachment 420937 View attachment 420938
Thanks for this, and for all the other superb images that so vividly show the terror of it all.
I agree about the costumes. It never seems quite right to see manips with officers in high-ranking ceremonial armour working on an execution detail. It's like seeing a film about El Alamein with Montgomery standing on a tank in full Field Marshal's uniform, complete with medals, sword and cocked hat with ostrich feathers (no doubt Hollywood will get round to that in time).

Seditio Sicarii 6 & 7 after Passion of a Goddess

These two drawings were heavily inspired by one of Ramon's images, 'Crucified woman in the night'. Yet again I found the low level viewpoint appealing. Rather than making slavish copies of the original, I used the basic pose concept to produce a couple of variations with different heads and limb positions. Since the source remains recognisable I decided it was appropriate to credit it in the titles. Thank you Ramon, for all your inspiration.

The Martinez original makes its visual impact by placing the very pale figure against a densely contrasting night sky, which is almost entirely blacked out apart from the clouds in the lower half. Despite the stark lighting of the figure, the cross is so dark it is virtually invisible against the sky. I could never have achieved such dramatic contrasts using pencil alone, and decided at the outset that my drawings would be daylight versions.

Since the patibulum makes a strong diagonal emphasis, I tried to accentuate this effect by making the clouds run in the opposite diagonal direction in the interests of creating a dramatic sky. As the skies are the largest areas of each picture, I probably spent more time working on these than on the figures, alternating applications of pencil and eraser to blend the clouds into the intended windswept celestial drama.

Perhaps the most striking departure from the original image is in the facial expressions. Ramon's goddesses often conceal their emotions behind enigmatic expressions, as here, although this is by no means always the case in his oeuvre. My faces usually convey the pain and tension associated with the physical experience, and these two are no exception, although they demanded precision and fine detail since the drawings are only A4 size.

bbpg-1 crucified-women-in-the-night-ramon-martinez.jpg bbpg-2 Seditio Sicarii 6 after Passionofagoddess.jpg bbpg-3 Seditio Sicarii 7 after Passionofagoddess.jpg bbpg-4 crucified-women-in-the-night-ramon-martinez.jpg

Good atmospheric drawings. I think the facial expressions complement the original photograph, but they stand alone as well. The "sepia" colouring makes them look like an old etching. Beautiful work.

I think I like them all as "stand-alone" pictures. The photo in the middle of the 'triptych' seems to be a bit of a stand out. Just a personal preference, and likely not that important.

The facial expression in this one captures so much of what she must be feeling.

Good atmospheric drawings. I think the facial expressions complement the original photograph, but they stand alone as well. The "sepia" colouring makes them look like an old etching. Beautiful work.

I think I like them all as "stand-alone" pictures. The photo in the middle of the 'triptych' seems to be a bit of a stand out. Just a personal preference, and likely not that important.

The facial expression in this one captures so much of what she must be feeling.

Thanks Jollyrei. The triptych is just for comparison purposes to demonstrate how I adapted Ramon's picture.

Pyracie and the secular triptych

Whilst painting the Pyracie series, I wondered if the triptych formula might be applied successfully to a non-crux execution scene. The triptych is generally, although not exclusively, associated with altarpieces. By placing each crucified figure in a separate panel the space between them can be effectively compressed, as I attempted to demonstrate in some of the 'East of Eden' paintings. If you can crucify people in a triptych, why not use the same arrangement for alternative methods of execution?

I visualised a triptych depicting three garottes on a scaffold, but in the event only two paintings materialised and these were never fully completed. Possibly they work better as separate pictures. Ultimately I compromised with a digital salvage job in Windows Paint, leaving vaguely defined spectators and background detail. The resulting diptych indicates how little spatial economy has been achieved, since the figures are so close they could have been painted in a single picture. However, the advantage of the multi-panel format is that if one picture just didn't work out, I could either make a fresh start without affecting the integrity of its neighbour, or simply focus on the successful image in isolation.

Whilst this is secularising a tradition with its roots firmly planted in Christian religious art, it is not breaking new ground. It has been done before, although I am not necessarily in good company in respect of the precedent I have in mind. In 1937 Adolf Ziegler painted a large triptych, containing four allegorical nudes symbolising Fire, Water, Earth and Air, entitled 'The Four Elements'. The figures are so closely grouped that they might as well appear on a single canvas, but I suspect Ziegler was deliberately secularising the religious tradition. He and I have both produced seated female nudes, but in very different contexts.

Working in Germany in the 1930s , Ziegler conformed to the standards of Nazi approved art, which aspired to a heroic ideal and would have condemned my pictures as degenerate in the extreme, especially the obscene pose of my dark-haired pirate! Ziegler's women represent a monumental triumph of the Aryan ideal and if they aspired to providing an altarpiece for the new secular order perhaps this was confirmed by the fact that they hung above the fireplace in Hitler's Berghof.

Despite the formality of its rather statuesque composition and the disinterested expressions with averted looks, superficially 'The Four Elements' is technically accomplished and has a certain aesthetic appeal. Only when you probe beneath the surface and discover its background implications does it become a sinister epitaph for the Third Reich.

In contrast, my pirates' eyes engage the viewer directly, even defiantly. Their nudity is not that of mythological heroines but disgraced and condemned criminals. Their tense, rigid poses result from being tied in place, the garottes ready around their throats. We are about to witness something dramatic and the atmosphere is intended to be disturbing. If art ceases to be provocative, it becomes merely decorative.

I have attempted expressions of mixed fear, anger and resentment in anticipation of the approaching executioner whose shadow falls across the planks in the left foreground. Here is the turmoil of emotion in the face of impending death. Demanding our accountability, these girls are staring at us, the executioners.

(b archive) Pyracie 9 - 10 diptych.jpg Adolf Ziegler Four Elements 1937.jpg

An interesting concept, Bobinder. Maybe your pair of 'pyrettes' need a companion
turned the other way from the left-hand girl, to form a triptych, with different expressions?

Small triptychs were, and in Catholic places still are, made as portable (and easily hidden) aids to prayer.
I've seen similar in Hindu and other eastern religious traditions too.

An interesting concept, Bobinder. Maybe your pair of 'pyrettes' need a companion
turned the other way from the left-hand girl, to form a triptych, with different expressions?

Small triptychs were, and in Catholic places still are, made as portable (and easily hidden) aids to prayer.
I've seen similar in Hindu and other eastern religious traditions too.

Thanks for the information. I didn't realise they were used by non-Christian religions, although it is entirely probable that the idea was borrowed, along with much else, from an older religion. Meanwhile, perhaps I really should complete the Pyracie triptych as originally intended - I do seem to have a lot of unfinished projects!

High Profile Crux

One of the most critical aspects of figure drawing in crux art is the length of the arms. I find myself wrestling with these in manipulations as well as in drawings and paintings. The object of so much arm-wrestling is to produce a convincing length of the limb whether fully extended or bent at the elbow. Crucifixion depends heavily on forcing the arms into an awkward elevated position. In portraying crucified anatomy, the arms contribute significantly by implying the strain of supporting the body weight.

Leonardo da Vinci's 'Vitruvian Man' demonstrates that the dimension, over fingertips, of horizontally outstretched arms is generally equivalent to the full height of the human figure. Translated into a crucifix, the arms can appear remarkably long - unless we are considering any viewpoint other than full frontal.

As we move to the side of our crucifix, the optical foreshortening in the arms becomes more accentuated. The challenge of the crux profile view is in representing the arms in a relatively small two-dimensional area, where the foreshortening effect is most pronounced, whilst suggesting that the limb nevertheless retains its natural length. An ambitious example of this can be seen in the right arm of 'Seditio Sicarii 13' whereas the left arm is completely foreshortened and concealed by the shoulder. However this is a three-quarter view rather than a profile and the figure is twisting round to face us.

The crux simplex profile provides an exception to the foreshortening described above, since the arms are extended directly above the head and shoulders, and thus appear in full length. 'Seditio Sicarii 30' is a profile which avoids foreshortening the arms by assuming a short patibulum with the arms extended almost directly above the shoulders. Here I was able to include all the strain and tension from the thorax and throughout the full length of the visible outstretched arm. The attitude demands gymnastic flexibility (or sheer desperation) but obviously none of this would have been visible in a foreshortened pose.

Buffalor5 developed the theme, in a Deviantart submission 12 months later, by doubling the figure in a balanced composition employing a true crux simplex. Here the uninterrupted stake emphasises the downward thrust of the body weight on either side and the profile view is wonderfully exploited to reveal some vicious nails! Commenting on this drawing, Buffalor5 says, "I am more or less content with the girl, but the boy turned out rather poor. And yes, he is too well equipped." (Okay, yes the girl looks about right to me...)

bbss30-1 (d archive) Seditio Sicarii 13.jpg bbss30-2 (d archive) Seditio Sicarii 30.jpg bbss30-3 crucified_couple_by_buffalor5-d9jgvm3.jpg bbss30-4 Buffalor5 crucified couple etc.jpg

High Profile Crux

One of the most critical aspects of figure drawing in crux art is the length of the arms. I find myself wrestling with these in manipulations as well as in drawings and paintings. The object of so much arm-wrestling is to produce a convincing length of the limb whether fully extended or bent at the elbow. Crucifixion depends heavily on forcing the arms into an awkward elevated position. In portraying crucified anatomy, the arms contribute significantly by implying the strain of supporting the body weight.

Leonardo da Vinci's 'Vitruvian Man' demonstrates that the dimension, over fingertips, of horizontally outstretched arms is generally equivalent to the full height of the human figure. Translated into a crucifix, the arms can appear remarkably long - unless we are considering any viewpoint other than full frontal.

As we move to the side of our crucifix, the optical foreshortening in the arms becomes more accentuated. The challenge of the crux profile view is in representing the arms in a relatively small two-dimensional area, where the foreshortening effect is most pronounced, whilst suggesting that the limb nevertheless retains its natural length. An ambitious example of this can be seen in the right arm of 'Seditio Sicarii 13' whereas the left arm is completely foreshortened and concealed by the shoulder. However this is a three-quarter view rather than a profile and the figure is twisting round to face us.

The crux simplex profile provides an exception to the foreshortening described above, since the arms are extended directly above the head and shoulders, and thus appear in full length. 'Seditio Sicarii 30' is a profile which avoids foreshortening the arms by assuming a short patibulum with the arms extended almost directly above the shoulders. Here I was able to include all the strain and tension from the thorax and throughout the full length of the visible outstretched arm. The attitude demands gymnastic flexibility (or sheer desperation) but obviously none of this would have been visible in a foreshortened pose.

Buffalor5 developed the theme, in a Deviantart submission 12 months later, by doubling the figure in a balanced composition employing a true crux simplex. Here the uninterrupted stake emphasises the downward thrust of the body weight on either side and the profile view is wonderfully exploited to reveal some vicious nails! Commenting on this drawing, Buffalor5 says, "I am more or less content with the girl, but the boy turned out rather poor. And yes, he is too well equipped." (Okay, yes the girl looks about right to me...)

View attachment 424902 View attachment 424903 View attachment 424904 View attachment 424905
Love the artwork, and behind the scene explanation Bobinder. I especially like mixed crucifixion artwork. There is just something about two lovers crucified together that gets my motor running:devil:. Unfortunately you don't see very many of them:(

Back
Top Bottom