• Picture-only

Votes: 12 100.0%
  • No pictures

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Go to CruxDreams.com
@thehangingtree offers us an educational look into the slave trade:

@thehangingtree offers us an educational look into the slave trade:

Look, I'm not going to get into an argument with you about your clearly liberal use of the word "educational" in this context :p;) :rolleyes:, but this is about the slave trade 30 years from now. It has nothing to do with the abysmal state of the slave trade today (I mean, can anyone show me a decent catalogue?).:devil:

I once read a story about the rich Roman "Plinius Bros.", who obviously were the intelligence snobs in their time in Rome and I do not really know how much of this story is reality or fiction, but I really would have liked to be a Plinius in those times sooo much:

They were not only very well educated historians, but they probably also owned something like a first "press and intelligence agency" for informations about foreign countries and sold their informations to entrepreneurs and politicians who wanted to know more about the country they were about to visit and/ or making business there.
They were also famous in Rome of being the buyers of the most intelligent (=> men) and most beautiful AND intelligent (=> women) slaves for the highest prices ever and they were always said to be the friendliest slave owners of Rome.
At least twice, they even released philosophically educated Greek slaves into liberty and even paid them the opening of their own schools for philosophy and rhetoric. The Plinus Bros. were said to be regarded by their slaves not as humans but as mortal gods because they often even partly spoke the languages of their slaves from foreign countries.

One story shows how much the Plinius Bros. were known as sophisticated snobs in Rome because they invented something like "the living oratory walkman". They were fanatics in gathering informations even for themselves at any time and when they visited the giant public baths of Rome, swimming in the public pools, one of their Greek slaves constantly had to walk alongside of the pool next to his swimming master(s), reading in lowered voice for him/ them the latest news from the Eastern part of the Mediterranian Sea - in Greek!
Another one or sometimes two slaves, experienced in close combat and about 2 metres tall, had to watch and to protect the reading intelligent Greek slave against possible Roman "silly or drunk patriots", who did not want to hear foreign languages in their Roman capital city.
It must have been really nice to be a Plinius in those days, or what do you think?
;)

I once read a story about the rich Roman "Plinius Bros.", who obviously were the intelligence snobs in their time in Rome and I do not really know how much of this story is reality or fiction, but I really would have liked to be a Plinius in those times sooo much:

They were not only very well educated historians, but they probably also owned something like a first "press and intelligence agency" for informations about foreign countries and sold their informations to entrepreneurs and politicians who wanted to know more about the country they were about to visit and/ or making business there.
They were also famous in Rome of being the buyers of the most intelligent (=> men) and most beautiful AND intelligent (=> women) slaves for the highest prices ever and they were always said to be the friendliest slave owners of Rome.
At least twice, they even released philosophically educated Greek slaves into liberty and even paid them the opening of their own schools for philosophy and rhetoric. The Plinus Bros. were said to be regarded by their slaves not as humans but as mortal gods because they often even partly spoke the languages of their slaves from foreign countries.

One story shows how much the Plinius Bros. were known as sophisticated snobs in Rome because they invented something like "the living oratory walkman". They were fanatics in gathering informations even for themselves at any time and when they visited the giant public baths of Rome, swimming in the public pools, one of their Greek slaves constantly had to walk alongside of the pool next to his swimming master(s), reading in lowered voice for him/ them the latest news from the Eastern part of the Mediterranian Sea - in Greek!
Another one or sometimes two slaves, experienced in close combat and about 2 metres tall, had to watch and to protect the reading intelligent Greek slave against possible Roman "silly or drunk patriots", who did not want to hear foreign languages in their Roman capital city.
It must have been really nice to be a Plinius in those days, or what do you think?
;)
Seems like they might have been cool guys to know - if they weren't too insufferable.

If you happened to be buying slaves from a catalogue - I know, no match for the good old auction stage, but humour me - would you rather use one which features only a bunch of very detailed photos of the slaves from all angles, or one which has no pictures, but features detailed descriptions of the slaves' skills, health, obedience and so on? (Any physical details are only covered vaguely.)

(Note that this is for purchasing, not any other pleasurable use.)

I'd say that depends. Do you have an example of such a catalogue?

I just remember that 1978 Helmut Newton made a slave pic of Grace Jones. Would be quite a bargain, not only extremely good looks, but as owner you would get all the income of her songs ;-) So here the pic from the catalogue.

Attachments

• H21724-L221485726.jpg
    H21724-L221485726.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Owning a slave or being a slave has been a part of my fantasy play since I was a lad. These often titillating scenes bore (and bear) little relationship to everyday reality and I'm glad of that. My cousin, with whom I have played out many a fantasy, lives in very rural central Pennsylvania. Believe it... that is wild, skirt-the-law, mountain man territory. In the late 1980s she couldn't wait to tell me of a type of slavery that she discovered existing not far from her home.
This slavery was not a lifetime indenture. It was (is?) a financial arrangement that could last a few days or much longer depending upon the payment agreed upon. Every so often when a few folks in dire straits or deep debt (mostly women it seems) had found their way to the brothers who run the market, the quiet word went out. The rules must have been clearly stated and understood. For the negotiated payment the "slave" belonged to the buyer for a period of days or even weeks. This total servitude included sexual submission, as well as all reasonable work and whims. "Buyers" often got together to share a purchase. Apparently the marketeers had a serious enough reputation that neither the slave nor the master was apt to abuse their contract.
I did not get to visit my cousin, and she was not able to visit the market again. I thought at first that she was inventing her "night at the slave market", but she showed me photographs (and this was before IPhones). Now that I have remembered this incident, I am going to see if I can get the photos from her. As I remember, they are not particularly sexy, but they do show a very strange slice of reality. I'll post the photos here if anyone would be interested. Here are two market photos from far away places,

Attachments

• Macau.jpg
    Macau.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 92
  • Paraguay (maybe).jpg
    Paraguay (maybe).jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Owning a slave or being a slave has been a part of my fantasy play since I was a lad. These often titillating scenes bore (and bear) little relationship to everyday reality and I'm glad of that. My cousin, with whom I have played out many a fantasy, lives in very rural central Pennsylvania. Believe it... that is wild, skirt-the-law, mountain man territory. In the late 1980s she couldn't wait to tell me of a type of slavery that she discovered existing not far from her home.
This slavery was not a lifetime indenture. It was (is?) a financial arrangement that could last a few days or much longer depending upon the payment agreed upon. Every so often when a few folks in dire straits or deep debt (mostly women it seems) had found their way to the brothers who run the market, the quiet word went out. The rules must have been clearly stated and understood. For the negotiated payment the "slave" belonged to the buyer for a period of days or even weeks. This total servitude included sexual submission, as well as all reasonable work and whims. "Buyers" often got together to share a purchase. Apparently the marketeers had a serious enough reputation that neither the slave nor the master was apt to abuse their contract.
I did not get to visit my cousin, and she was not able to visit the market again. I thought at first that she was inventing her "night at the slave market", but she showed me photographs (and this was before IPhones). Now that I have remembered this incident, I am going to see if I can get the photos from her. As I remember, they are not particularly sexy, but they do show a very strange slice of reality. I'll post the photos here if anyone would be interested. Here are two market photos from far away places,

When we take more modern forms of slavery into account, for example what German-speaking languages call "Schuldknechtschaft" (= possibly: "debt bondage" ? ), then there are more slaves in our "modern" world than ever before.

In India alone, there are probably more than 15 million people living in such situations which were caused by the need of making debts after accidents, illnesses etc.
The interest fees are so high that many families never get out of their debts again and rhey sell their children or other members of the family to the criminal lenders who are selling them further away for the lowest and most dangerous works you can imagine.

Additionally, there are still very backward countries in which many rich families never really gave up their historical claims of holding slaves as a part of their prestige.
Saudi-Arabia abandoned slavery in 1964 under Western pressure but the households of the rich Saudis probably hold servants in slavery-like conditions until today and no one cares.
You only have to read recent newspaper reports about the fate of princesses who were seen as rebels against the traditions in their Arab Emirates or Arab Kingdoms and how easily their palaces turned into golden cages for them or worse: how fast they disappeared in the prisons of their father's or husband's secret police. And these are princesses!

What do you think what will happen with their servants when they are seen as only a bit "rebellious" or supporting their rebellious princesses?

Then, there are still even countries like Mauritania in the Sahara, which officially abandoned slavery for the first time in 1981 (!) and made it illegal for the first time only in 2007 with the threat of a legal punishment. I do not know if there ever had someone been punished for holding a slave but I never heard of it since then - but who of us ever heard anything from "Mauritania" at all?

This world is still a terrible place for many millions of "slaves" - and maybe, there are more of them in our world than ever before!

I just remember that 1978 Helmut Newton made a slave pic of Grace Jones. Would be quite a bargain, not only extremely good looks, but as owner you would get all the income of her songs ;-) So here the pic from the catalogue.
I always thought she was sexy also

Back
Top Bottom