Cam's Camera: Mythology

Go to CruxDreams.com
more ticklish though ...

Geekishly, it's a wee fragment of mythology that hasn't inspired any poetry or work of art before Cam's., so far as I can find. The classical sources seem to be limited to a comment on Aeneid 4.407 where Virgil compares the Trojans departing from Carthage, as seen by poor Dido, to ants carrying away grain. It was presumably a story made up to explain the name of the tribe of Myrmidones, and their reverence for ants, Greek myrmex, though I don't know whether there really was a connection or just coincidence.

Thanks to DA's E-DigitalFantasy and his wonderful picture of the lovely Lily I am happy to offer new insights into a curious and little-known episode of Greek mythology : how the Myrmidon people originated.

Eurymedousa was the daughter of Cleitor of Arcadia or, some say, of Achelous, the god of the river Achelous.
Zeus, who desired her (as he desired most women and goddesses) but seemed to lack confidence in his seductive powers, approached and "seduced" her in the form of an ant as the unsuspecting girl was enjoying an early morning nap in the shade.
As a result, she gave birth to Myrmidon, the ancestor of the people of the same name.

Eurymedousa.png
Thanks for featuring Lily in a double bill, Kam - today you have also posted her in your companion thread, 'Cam's Camera: Slave Girls' -

In the other thread, I noted that the source image was taken by E-DigitalFantasy on the afternoon of 2 June 2015. The source in this thread is from the same session, on the rocky terrain around San Francisco Bay. E-DF's original title is rather confusing - 'A Nap In Early Morning Shade! It Will Be Hot Soon!' since his camera data indicates that the picture was taken just after 3 pm - about an hour before your 'Gold Mine Slave' source image.

As with your other Lily manipulation, the figure has not been cut out but remains as found in the original background. The inserted details are the two gold bracelets and the ant, which is central to the theme of the story. The details are neatly applied, the bracelets appearing to wrap around the arms completely, and the ant's shadow, cast by the sunlight on Eurymedousa's thigh, completes the illusion of reality.

As you noted on DA, this is a relatively straightforward manipulation, compared with the others, but it provides a charming picture with a story which, as Eul observes, is rarely illustrated and little known. Nice work, again. :)

Thanks to DA's E-DigitalFantasy and his wonderful picture of the lovely Lily I am happy to offer new insights into a curious and little-known episode of Greek mythology : how the Myrmidon people originated.

Eurymedousa was the daughter of Cleitor of Arcadia or, some say, of Achelous, the god of the river Achelous.
Zeus, who desired her (as he desired most women and goddesses) but seemed to lack confidence in his seductive powers, approached and "seduced" her in the form of an ant as the unsuspecting girl was enjoying an early morning nap in the shade.
As a result, she gave birth to Myrmidon, the ancestor of the people of the same name.

View attachment 917435
An ant? And this would be the first time Zeus had ever had any self-doubt about his seductive prowess. I mean the blighter was famous for seducing anything female that moved (or perhaps stood still long enough for him to say, "you and me, Babe, how about it?"). Anyway, it's a fantastic image, as noted by Bob and other luminaries, and one should not look too hard at religious myth or metaphor. Mind you, that advice won't stop me doing a series on Jesus' parables, but it's sound advice anyway.

Did I say I really like the picture? :)

An ant? And this would be the first time Zeus had ever had any self-doubt about his seductive prowess. I mean the blighter was famous for seducing anything female that moved (or perhaps stood still long enough for him to say, "you and me, Babe, how about it?"). Anyway, it's a fantastic image, as noted by Bob and other luminaries, and one should not look too hard at religious myth or metaphor. Mind you, that advice won't stop me doing a series on Jesus' parables, but it's sound advice anyway.

Did I say I really like the picture? :)
The doubts about Zeus' self-doubts are purely conjectural on my part. Maybe he just liked to play tricks :)

The doubts about Zeus' self-doubts are purely conjectural on my part. Maybe he just liked to play tricks :)
Eastern Mediterranean women and their menfolk.........

"I was raped by / impregnated by an ant / a swan / a bull / a golden shower / an invisible ghost who said He was God"

"That's nice, dear. We'll raise it as our own. (But it had better not look like him next door.........)"

"I was raped by / impregnated by an ant / a swan / a bull / a golden shower / an invisible ghost who said He was God"

"That's nice, dear. We'll raise it as our own. (But it had better not look like him next door.........)"
The swan, the bull and the golden shower are on their way. As to the invisible ghost it is beyond my means to make it visible ...

Don't forget Pan, Dyonisos, all the other male gods plus all the satyrs and assorted monsters.
Them young Girls in mythological Greece really had a really wide range of characters to choose from.

As to the invisible ghost it is beyond my means to make it visible ...
He subsequently appeared as a dove. And later as flames on 11 disciples' heads.
But the traditional figure for the impregnation of the Virgin is a fall of dew,
based on Isaiah 45:8, 'Drop down dew, Heavens, from above,
and let the clouds rain down the righteous one' -
not quite invisible, but a challenge to make visible!

Well since we are here at cruxforums I think a bit of the more salty stuff would be appropriate.
What about the most un-greek and most interesting goddess of the lot, Aphrodite? Kronos cutting of the balls of his dear ol' dad Uranos to do mum a favour, he tosses the stuff over the shoulder and blood and semen fertilise the sea to create Aphrodite, who covered in cum, oh sorry, foam, steps on the shores of Cyprus.
Well, maybe not the subject of choice for our friend CamCrux ...
Maybe when I'm done with Andromeda ...

I was raised to believe the Holy Ghost/Holy Spirit was female. Heh.

When I was a young lad being raised in a non-pentecostal protestant church, this Holy Ghost thing really confused me. I thought Jesus came back to haunt people.
View attachment 918986
well I think that's theologically not far off the mark!

Considering who knocked up Mary (which is technically adultery, because she was betrothed to Joseph at the time, which was sort of "as good as married" without the fun bits yet - apparently you can be a god and make rules like "No adultery!!" which don't apply to you.), I always think of Peter Cook and Dudley Moore going on about Jesus parentage and "rumours flying around Bethlehem, as indeed the Holy Ghost must have been..." :D

Yes, the dove is fine. However what would be the point of representing the scene if Mary is not disrobed ? And I can see no good reason why she should be ...

Making rules that don't apply to you is the whole point of being a god isn't it? Especially if they start their career with a big rule-violation like saying, 'Nothing can exist without a prior cause, well ... except me!'
Well, that's easy enough to explain. As far as he's concerned, he's always been there, and has no knowledge of what caused him, so as far as he's concerned, he lives without pre-existent cause. "I have always been here."

Back
Top Bottom