Cam's Camera: Mythology

Go to CruxDreams.com

bobinder

ARTISAN
artemis_and_her_nymphs_surprised_by_actaeon_by_kamerijk_ddtcooa-fullview.png

(Image hosted on DeviantArt - https://www.deviantart.com/kamerijk/art/Artemis-and-her-nymphs-surprised-by-Actaeon-835361002 )

'Artemis and her nymphs surprised by Actaeon' by Kamerijk (CamCrux)

@CamCrux has granted me the honour of launching this thread of his pictures, illustrating scenes from mythology, and providing a companion to his preceding thread, 'Cam's Camera: Slave Girls' -

Kamerijk artemis_and_her_nymphs_surprised_by_actaeon_by_kamerijk_ddtcooa.jpg

'Artemis and her nymphs surprised by Actaeon' was originally published on DeviantArt earlier this year, with the following caption -

'Artemis, goddess of wildlife and hunting, of young children, girls and women, of virginity and childbirth, of epidemics and cures, stopped for a dip at her sacred pool in the mountains of Taygetos after a long day's hunting. She was frolicking in the cool water with her attendant nymphs when Actaeon, who was hunting in the area, unwillingly surprised them.

While it's perfectly all right for a god to rape a mortal woman, there is no way a mortal man can get away with ogling a nude goddess. Artemis's revenge was in proportion to the sacrilege.'

Artemis is seen moving across the foreground to reach her bow and arrows, whilst her nymphs are variously distracted. Only she and one other have noticed Actaeon's intrusion. Close attention to detail ensures consistent scale and lighting in the choice and location of the inserted figures (including the deer and the peacock) in this neatly composed, multi-figure manipulation.

The Rocky Pool at Kalamunda National Park, near Perth in Western Australia, makes an attractive location for the famous scene from Greek mythology. Appropriate shadows and reflections have been developed in accordance with the background lighting, and subtly applied to the bow and arrows, and to the figures in the water.

The one I can identify instantly is Alice, in the centre of the group, sitting with her feet in the running water. She is still holding the teasel from the source image, taken from her first published photo series, 'On The Edge' by Alexander Lobanov for MPL Studios. This attractive studio pose has translated remarkably well into the flowing water of the outdoor scene, which employs moderately bright sunlight.

Kamerijk Artemis detail Alice cf MPL ontheedge.jpg

To date, this MPL series has rarely been used by photo manip artists, although @Wragg previously used one of the pictures in 'Alice Barabbas'. But as far as I am aware, Kam's 'Artemis' is the first outing for this particular pose. His picture was deservedly well received on DeviantArt, where it attracted numerous positive comments, including those by @MahaShiva and @Zungur . As for the other models, the one to the left of Alice looks rather like Mariposa, but I will leave further positive identifications to the artist himself. Beautiful work, Kam! :D

This is one of my first attempts at dealing with "mythology". It was inspired by the Epic of Gilgamesh, and more particularly by the episode of "the taming of Enkidu". Interestingly (I find) it tells how Enkidu was raised from his existence as a wild creature consorting with beasts to that of civilized man, after having sex with a woman.

Gilgamesh, two-thirds god and one-third man, was king of the city of Uruk. His rule was stern and exacting. He did not leave a young man to his father, nor a maiden to her mother. The people cried out to the gods for help.

And the gods heard them, and they decided to create a being that would be an equal to Gilgamesh and would put an end to the oppression. And they created Enkidu, a primitive man who lived in the wild with the animals, drank water from the holes and ate leaves and grass.

Soon a trapper saw Enkidu in the woods. The trapper was scared by the wild man. Enkidu was destroying his traps and freeing the animals. The trapper's father thought that Enkidu should be rendered tame and harmless. He advised Gilgamesh to send a temple prostitute to him, for her to tame him. Gilgamesh sent Shamhat with the trapper to Enkidu.

The trapper went, bringing the harlot, Shamhat, with him.
They set off on the journey, making direct way.
On the third day they arrived at the appointed place,
and the trapper and the harlot sat down at their posts.
A first day and a second they sat opposite the watering hole.
The animals arrived and drank at the watering hole,
the wild beasts arrived and slaked their thirst with water.
Then he, Enkidu, offspring of the mountains,
who eats grasses with the gazelles,
came to drink at the watering hole with the animals,
with the wild beasts he slaked his thirst with water.
Then Shamhat saw him--a primitive,
a savage fellow from the depths of the wilderness!
"That is he, Shamhat! Release your clenched arms,
expose your sex so he can take in your voluptuousness.
Do not be restrained--take his energy!
When he sees you he will draw near to you.
Spread out your robe so he can lie upon you,
and perform for this primitive the task of womankind!
His animals, who grew up in his wilderness, will become alien to him,
and his lust will groan over you."
Shamhat unclutched her bosom, exposed her sex, and he took in her voluptuousness.
She was not restrained, but took his energy.
She spread out her robe and he lay upon her,
she performed for the primitive the task of womankind.
His lust groaned over her;
for six days and seven nights Enkidu stayed aroused,
and had intercourse with the harlot
until he was sated with her charms.

The Taming of Enkidu.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is one of my first attempts at dealing with "mythology". It was inspired by the Epic of Gilgamesh, and more particularly by the episode of "the taming of Enkidu". Interestingly (I find) it tells how Enkidu was raised from his existence as a wild creature consorting with beasts to that of civilized man, after having sex with a woman.
The red clothing at the girl's feet really brings out the vibrancy of the contrasting green foliage. And the depth of field brings her into focus, mid way between the foreground figure and the one hiding in the distance. I like this glimpse of the trapper's face, concealed in the undergrowth.

Not so obvious is the fact that Enkidu is a composite figure in which the tattoos have been removed from the source image. His new head has longer hair, and the original loincloth has been replaced with animal fur - all neatly blended details, which allow this character to make a convincing impression. Nice work, Kam! :)

(This is not exactly mythology but comes close enough.)

This rare document shows one of the 72 black-eyed houris that people Allah's paradise for the reward of the faithful. They are described as "fair, good, beautiful maidens", "untouched beforehand by man or jinn" and "created without the process of birth".

The fact that this is Japanese model Risa Kasumi should not raise any difficulty : she is cute and sexy enough for the role, and no one ever said that far-eastern girls were banned from service in paradise.

houri.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Andromeda is the daughter of the Aethiopian king Cepheus and his wife Cassiopea. When Cassiopeia's hubris led her to boast that her daughter was more beautiful than the Nereids, Poseidon sent the sea monster Cetus (a whale probably ?) to devour Andromeda as divine punishment. Andromeda is seen here chained to a rock as a sacrifice to sate the monster, but will be saved from death by Perseus, who is lurking somewhere nearby.

Andromeda.png

Andromeda is the daughter of the Aethiopian king Cepheus and his wife Cassiopea. When Cassiopeia's hubris led her to boast that her daughter was more beautiful than the Nereids, Poseidon sent the sea monster Cetus (a whale probably ?) to devour Andromeda as divine punishment. Andromeda is seen here chained to a rock as a sacrifice to sate the monster, but will be saved from death by Perseus, who is lurking somewhere nearby.

View attachment 913201
Now that's one extra-cute Andromeda!

View attachment 913201

You've not been here long Cam, and you've already fed my favourite fantasy -
I've taken the liberty of 'borrowing' your delightful image for my 'Andromeda' thread

Andromeda.png
Beautifully blended, using the bright, directional sunlight to good effect in both figure and background. The shadow of the chain on her foot and the stone bollard are particularly well done. I believe the model is Sienna, although I was not previously aware of her. She makes a lovely Andromeda, especially with this charming expression of appropriately stunned disbelief!

@MahaShiva was certainly impressed by her looks when you published the picture on DeviantArt (and again just now!) also drawing our attention to the shadow in the water behind her. Whether this is the monster approaching under water, or the shadow of Perseus and Pegasus circling above the cliffs, was never resolved. Nice work, Kam! :)

You've not been here long Cam, and you've already fed my favourite fantasy -
I've taken the liberty of 'borrowing' your delightful image for my 'Andromeda' thread
I'm quite happy when you 'borrow' any of my pictures Eulalia. I wasn't aware this was one of your favourite fantasies or I'd have dedicated this Andromeda to you :)

Beautifully blended, using the bright, directional sunlight to good effect in both figure and background. The shadow of the chain on her foot and the stone bollard are particularly well done. I believe the model is Sienna, although I was not previously aware of her. She makes a lovely Andromeda, especially with this charming expression of appropriately stunned disbelief!

@MahaShiva was certainly impressed by her looks when you published the picture on DeviantArt (and again just now!) also drawing our attention to the shadow in the water behind her. Whether this is the monster approaching under water, or the shadow of Perseus and Pegasus circling above the cliffs, was never resolved. Nice work, Kam! :)
Thank you Bob ! You're right, the perfectly innocent-looking victim is known as Sienna on MPL studios, and the shadow in the water *is* the sea monster - but Perseus is hovering somewhere above :)

Great work, and guaranteed to spark a renewed interest in mythology of all kinds, and not just the normal Christian martyr myths we see every day around here. Definitely room for some sexy god on goddess, god on pretty much any female that moves, and goddess taking revenge on non-god for even daring to look at her sort of action.

And the thread of this sort of thing by a noted artist is certainly welcome. I know I'm more interested in Artemis already. (IT'S OKAY THOUGH - I'M AN ANTHROPOMORPHIC PERSONIFICATION. ;) )

Thanks to DA's E-DigitalFantasy and his wonderful picture of the lovely Lily I am happy to offer new insights into a curious and little-known episode of Greek mythology : how the Myrmidon people originated.

Eurymedousa was the daughter of Cleitor of Arcadia or, some say, of Achelous, the god of the river Achelous.
Zeus, who desired her (as he desired most women and goddesses) but seemed to lack confidence in his seductive powers, approached and "seduced" her in the form of an ant as the unsuspecting girl was enjoying an early morning nap in the shade.
As a result, she gave birth to Myrmidon, the ancestor of the people of the same name.

Eurymedousa.png

Back
Top Bottom