Cam's Camera: Slave Girls

Go to CruxDreams.com
(starting from a story to illustrate it) would be possible but difficult, as I'd have to find the proper models & background for it, which could take quite some time.
Yes, I certainly relate to that. I am working on a project similar to this, and it's a bit of a challenge. It's coming along, but finding the proper backgrounds and models/characters is tricky at times when you are trying to fit them into even a general narrative idea.

It is often more natural feeling to start with a picture of a model, and build a scene around that, which may evolve a storyline.

Blandina's ordeal

Lugdunum, 930 Ab Urbe Condita.

During the reign of Marcus Aurelius, the Christian faith began to spread throughout the Empire, and in particular in the city of Lugdunum, the seat of imperial power for the Three Gauls. In 930 of the Roman era (177 AD), the local authorities decided to crack down on the members of the sect, who were accused of practicing witchcraft and cannibalism and of refusing the cult owed to Rome and the Emperor.
Among the Christians brought to justice were the city's first bishop, Pothinus, and Blandina, a slave. As they refused to recant their faith, the governor sentenced them to death, some of them at the public games to be held in the city.
Blandina was to die under the fangs and claws of wild beasts. In order to combine justice with public entertainment, the governor had her stripped naked and shaved, and then tied to the gallows in a humiliating posture.

Blandine.png

Last edited:
Kam - when you upload an image, click on the top left to get 'Insert' then select 'Thumbnail'.
That way the image will appear clean in your post, instead of blurry outside it, and can still be clicked on to open,
and opened in new tab to enlarge. (And it saves me having to do it for you) ;)

Blandina was to die under the fangs and claws of wild beasts. In order to combine justice with public entertainment, the governor had her stripped naked and shaved, and then tied to the gallows in a humiliating posture.

Blandine.png
Blandina is portrayed here by Cruxton Studios starlet, Katya Clover - a model who has appeared in a number of your manips, Kam!
I understand that she is a composite figure, and whilst the body is a very close match to the authentic Katty, this one actually belongs to someone else, although I do not know who. The pose and woodwork certainly qualify this as a crux manip.

The colour matching and blending are very well done. I like the way that she occupies the foreground with the arena crowd in the distance, and the lions are approaching through the intervening space between. She hasn't seen them yet, but her fearful expression is perfect for this scene. Nice work, again. :)

Blandina is portrayed here by Cruxton Studios starlet, Katya Clover - a model who has appeared in a number of your manips, Kam!
I understand that she is a composite figure, and whilst the body is a very close match to the authentic Katty, this one actually belongs to someone else, although I do not know who. The pose and woodwork certainly qualify this as a crux manip.

The colour matching and blending are very well done. I like the way that she occupies the foreground with the arena crowd in the distance, and the lions are approaching through the intervening space between. She hasn't seen them yet, but her fearful expression is perfect for this scene. Nice work, again. :)
Yes indeed Bob, Blandina is a Frankenstein here, another of my head transplants, with Katya's face - whose expression seemed right for the occasion - and another girl's body - the posture was right, but the smiling face was not.

Blandina's ordeal

Lugdunum, 930 Ab Urbe Condita.

During the reign of Marcus Aurelius, the Christian faith began to spread throughout the Empire, and in particular in the city of Lugdunum, the seat of imperial power for the Three Gauls. In 930 of the Roman era (177 AD), the local authorities decided to crack down on the members of the sect, who were accused of practicing witchcraft and cannibalism and of refusing the cult owed to Rome and the Emperor.
Among the Christians brought to justice were the city's first bishop, Pothinus, and Blandina, a slave. As they refused to recant their faith, the governor sentenced them to death, some of them at the public games to be held in the city.

View attachment 911686
Lugdunum is the modern city of Lyon, France.
Lugdunum.jpg
The amphitheater has been excavated, although someone put a road through it.
Amphiteatre_Trois_Gaules_Lyon.jpg

The amphitheater has been excavated, although someone put a road through it.
They paved paradise, put up a parking lot....

Lugdunum is the modern city of Lyon, France.

Lyon was the greatest, and rightly the best-known, but there were several other Lugudunums (Luguduna?) - including one in the north of Britannia, possibly between the Walls in what's now southern Scotland- the location not known, though Loudon Hill on the West Lothian - Lanarkshire border is a possibility, it has a big hill-fort. The name is Celtic, Lugus being a god whose cult is more widely evidenced across the Celtic-speaking world than any other's; his name is probably associated with 'light'. Dunon in Lugudunon (the Celtic neuter form) is a fort, stronghold. Carlisle was Luguvaliam 'Lugus-strong, strengthened by Lugus'; Car-. another 'fort' word was added later, and Car-luel became English Carlile with a fancy French -s- added for no good reason.

Last edited:
Lyon was the greatest, and rightly the best-known, but there were several other Lugudunums (Luguduna?) - including one in the north of Britannia, possibly between the Walls in what's now southern Scotland- the location not known, though Loudon Hill on the West Lothian - Renfrewshire border is a possibility, it has a big hill-fort. The name is Celtic, Lugus being a god whose cult is more widely evidenced across the Celtic-speaking world than any other's; his name is probably associated with 'light'. Dunon in Lugudunon (the Celtic neuter form) is a fort, stronghold. Carlisle was Luguvaliam 'Lugus-strong, strengthened by Lugus'; Car-. another 'fort' word was added later, and Car-luel became English Carlile with a fancy French -s- added for no good reason.
Lugdunum is indeed the romanized version of a Celtic name, from Lug, a god of light or the sun, and dun, a fort or walled place or a hill. In the Gaulish language it was dunon, romanized in dunum. The toponym has survived in a number of place names, mostly in present-day France (Verdun, Dinan, Don, Meudon ...) and Scotland (Dùn Èideann (Edinburgh), Dumbarton, Dundee, ...)

Lugdunum is indeed the romanized version of a Celtic name, from Lug, a god of light or the sun, and dun, a fort or walled place or a hill. In the Gaulish language it was dunon, romanized in dunum. The toponym has survived in a number of place names, mostly in present-day France (Verdun, Dinan, Don, Meudon ...) and Scotland (Dùn Èideann (Edinburgh), Dumbarton, Dundee, ...)
Yes, still current in Gaelic as dùn, Welsh din.

Published simultaneously on Crux and DA : Roman street scene.

Roman street scene.jpg

A fantasy vision of a slavemonger's shop in Rome, in the vicinity of the temple of Castor and Pollux (it is unlikely that slaves were sold naked on the streets ...)

The shabby front should not mislead : the Greek Kleitos specializes in "fine young females" and his business is worth millions of sestercii.

The two girls on the left are war captives, one from Pannonia, the one standing next to her from Britannia, both captured as loot by legionaries and brought back to Rome.
The girl kneeling on the right is from Achaia and was sold by her impoverished parents. The statuesque black girl was imported by a Phenician merchant from Alexandria, along with other young women, among whom one Amica.

If anyone would like to lend a voice to these girls, to express their feelings, memories, fear of the future etc. They are welcome.

The girl kneeling on the right is from Achaia and was sold by her impoverished parents.

This is so humiliating and frightening! That bastard of a slave monger standing behind me has threatened me, saying that if I don’t bring him a fat price by noon, he’ll have me flogged and sold to the impresarios who stage the arena entertainments and are planning a mass crucifixion event for the afternoon session. But how do I bring in a good price? I am not experienced at such things. Isn’t being naked enough? Should I stand and pose like some of the others are doing? Stick out my chest? Spread my legs and sway my hips? I just don’t know what to do!

This is so humiliating and frightening! That bastard of a slave monger standing behind me has threatened me, saying that if I don’t bring him a fat price by noon, he’ll have me flogged and sold to the impresarios who stage the arena entertainments and are planning a mass crucifixion event for the afternoon session. But how do I bring in a good price? I am not experienced at such things. Isn’t being naked enough? Should I stand and pose like some of the others are doing? Stick out my chest? Spread my legs and sway my hips? I just don’t know what to do!
Excellent ! Of course I don't think that the wise Kleitos would just sacrifice a girl worth at least a few hundred sestertii, but it's an empty threat and the girl doesn't know that.
Do I have your permission to publish this on DA ? Under your Crux name ?

Last edited:
Excellent ! Of course I don't think that the wise Kleitos would just sacrifice a girl worth at least a few hundred sestertii, but it's an empty threat and the girl doesn't know that.
Do I have your permission to publish this on DA ? Under your Crux name ?
Yes, of course. I haven’t been banished there, so it should be safe.

Roman street scene.jpg

A fantasy vision of a slavemonger's shop in Rome, in the vicinity of the temple of Castor and Pollux (it is unlikely that slaves were sold naked on the streets ...)
Thanks, Kam - you are presenting us with an ambitious multi-figure composition, employing a background sourced from the impressive HBO set for 'Rome'. A dozen human figures with appropriate shadows, the dog and at least two wooden signs, earthenware vessels, and three sets of chains and manacles have been inserted into the original scene. This represents a lot of work which is not immediately apparent.

Your current avatar is now identical with that on DA, and it reappears discretely as a signature below the Latin inscription on the overhead sign. The lettering is neatly applied, I think advertising the 'best choice of virgins from all over the empire' - evidently an honest slave dealer's establishment, judging by the attractive girls on display. They have been secured by chains in positions which keep them out of the shelter of the awnings, but where conversation may be possible between them. But from what you tell us of their origins, they will find it hard to identify a common language.

I think the sign has been created as a proper rectangle, the lettering applied, and the whole thing distorted to an oblique, elevated angle? The Greek sign seems to be similarly produced and compressed, according to perspective requirements. It seems to imply trading by an educated merchant, or a Greek tradesman, as you suggest.

Not for the first time, we see your delightful device of interaction between the kneeling girl and the dog - providing a neat contrast between their stations in life. I recognise the group of three figures conversing in the distance, supplied together with the character modelling purple headgear, via another HBO scene which is proving popular with manipulation artists. The soldier and his attendant derive from a further HBO source, indicating how useful this series is to manipulators of ancient Roman scenes. These two appear to be looking directly into the faces of the slave girls, in a manner which is very credible. I do not recognise the slave dealer himself - perhaps he is also from HBO?

The four girls are indisputably the leading ladies of your picture, and the merchant's claim is endorsed by the ethnic variety, which is nice to see in a Roman illustration. The lightweight chains and shackles provide adequate restraints for the girls. Whilst subtly applied, these features embody close attention to detail and they are rather neat.

As the background is an empty street with a low viewpoint and forced perspective, the only clues for figure scaling are the receding doorways. I think this has been a challenging scene to populate, but you have brought it to life very effectively as a snapshot from ancient times. Well done, Kam!

Thanks, Kam - you are presenting us with an ambitious multi-figure composition, employing a background sourced from the impressive HBO set for 'Rome'. A dozen human figures with appropriate shadows, the dog and at least two wooden signs, earthenware vessels, and three sets of chains and manacles have been inserted into the original scene. This represents a lot of work which is not immediately apparent.

Your current avatar is now identical with that on DA, and it reappears discretely as a signature below the Latin inscription on the overhead sign. The lettering is neatly applied, I think advertising the 'best choice of virgins from all over the empire' - evidently an honest slave dealer's establishment, judging by the attractive girls on display. They have been secured by chains in positions which keep them out of the shelter of the awnings, but where conversation may be possible between them. But from what you tell us of their origins, they will find it hard to identify a common language.

I think the sign has been created as a proper rectangle, the lettering applied, and the whole thing distorted to an oblique, elevated angle? The Greek sign seems to be similarly produced and compressed, according to perspective requirements. It seems to imply trading by an educated merchant, or a Greek tradesman, as you suggest.

Not for the first time, we see your delightful device of interaction between the kneeling girl and the dog - providing a neat contrast between their stations in life. I recognise the group of three figures conversing in the distance, supplied together with the character modelling purple headgear, via another HBO scene which is proving popular with manipulation artists. The soldier and his attendant derive from a further HBO source, indicating how useful this series is to manipulators of ancient Roman scenes. These two appear to be looking directly into the faces of the slave girls, in a manner which is very credible. I do not recognise the slave dealer himself - perhaps he is also from HBO?

The four girls are indisputably the leading ladies of your picture, and the merchant's claim is endorsed by the ethnic variety, which is nice to see in a Roman illustration. The lightweight chains and shackles provide adequate restraints for the girls. Whilst subtly applied, these features embody close attention to detail and they are rather neat.

As the background is an empty street with a low viewpoint and forced perspective, the only clues for figure scaling are the receding doorways. I think this has been a challenging scene to populate, but you have brought it to life very effectively as a snapshot from ancient times. Well done, Kam!
Thanks once again for your careful scrutiny and criticism of my fantasies. This did take quite a bit of time - nothing particularly difficult but I couldn't restrain myself from adding details and each time this calls for some minor adjustments of course.
The two soldiers are Vorenus and Pollo from the Rome TV series. Kleitos the Greek slave dealer is borrowed from a character in the Spanish Hispania series, I think he was the village smith but I forget his name. The modems for the standing girls are Alysa I (left) and Putri (right). I have lost the names of the other two unfortunately.

Published simultaneously on Crux and DA : Roman street scene.

View attachment 914203

The shabby front should not mislead : the Greek Kleitos specializes in "fine young females" and his business is worth millions of sestercii.

The two girls on the left are war captives, one from Pannonia, the one standing next to her from Britannia, both captured as loot by legionaries and brought back to Rome.
The girl kneeling on the right is from Achaia and was sold by her impoverished parents. The statuesque black girl was imported by a Phenician merchant from Alexandria, along with other young women, among whom one Amica.

If anyone would like to lend a voice to these girls, to express their feelings, memories, fear of the future etc. They are welcome.
A great made picture with a very nice description! Nice work! :)

Back
Top Bottom