Carrying the cross question

Go to CruxDreams.com

misskatie25

Magistrate
Hi folks, hope everyone is well, even those about to be nailed up, hehehehheheehehe, anyways, i was looking at the "Carrying the cross" thread, and too me, it looks like most of the complete crosses look very flimsy and would never survive the walk, My question is how strong would a cross like that have too be too actually survive a walk like that for probably a mile >what would it weigh ? and do you think an average girl could even do it?

I have been told that it was almost always just the cross piece carried too a waiting post, and that often the criminal was made to carry the big hammer and the nails,( spikes really), hehehehehehe, in either a crude rope belt or hung around the neck, often with the crime written on a cheap sign. I'm not sure that was a good idea, giving a criminal about to be crucified possible deadly weapons near their person !!!!! It's not like they have much too lose,right?

But it helps if you are good looking. Naturally, I am already in an age, which tries to use its hammer, on everything with a rock which is not on a tree when one arrives at "three", and everything is everything, also the ones only usable from one side. ;-). So I imagine being behind the condemned girls who are running with their patibulum to the crucification place, beging the guards to immediately crucify them, so they be saved from the more cruel destiny to have to used by my hammer.

Wood is quite resilient unless it is very poor quality (severely cracked, dry-rot or woodworms)
As long as the wood doesn't split when the nails are driven thru it the thickness of the wood doesn't have to be very big.
Wood can take quite a lot of weight.. Thats why its such a good construction material in general:)

Half carrying and half dragging a cross would be considerably more easy as carrying the full weight of the cross.
And yeah I think only the horizontal beam was carried in most cases to a fixed vertical "stake"

Don't think the victim would carry anything else then the beam, However if you would supply the "weapons(hammer/nails)" for him/her
Make sure the convict cannot use them by tying the hands to the beam so the "weapons" cannot be wielded :)
Hang the hammer and other things you want the victim to carry with ropes on him.
Giving the soon to be crucified a bludgeoning weapon to carry in his hands or even the nails-> improvised daggers/shanks would not be a wise choice indeed.

Wood is quite resilient unless it is very poor quality (severely cracked, dry-rot or woodworms)
As long as the wood doesn't split when the nails are driven thru it the thickness of the wood doesn't have to be very big.
Wood can take quite a lot of weight.. Thats why its such a good construction material in general:)

Half carrying and half dragging a cross would be considerably more easy as carrying the full weight of the cross.
And yeah I think only the horizontal beam was carried in most cases to a fixed vertical "stake"

Don't think the victim would carry anything else then the beam, However if you would supply the "weapons(hammer/nails)" for him/her
Make sure the convict cannot use them by tying the hands to the beam so the "weapons" cannot be wielded :)
Hang the hammer and other things you want the victim to carry with ropes on him.
Giving the soon to be crucified a bludgeoning weapon to carry in his hands or even the nails-> improvised daggers/shanks would not be a wise choice indeed.
Yeah ,even if their hands were tied, i doubt the guards would would let them have such devices anywhere near them , any more than cops would allow something like that with a handcuffed criminal today !!!!! The sign with the criminals name and crime, yeah i don't see a problem at all with that, heheheheheheheh

However it does make for a good pic !!!!!!

Hi folks, hope everyone is well, even those about to be nailed up, hehehehheheehehe, anyways, i was looking at the "Carrying the cross" thread, and too me, it looks like most of the complete crosses look very flimsy and would never survive the walk, My question is how strong would a cross like that have too be too actually survive a walk like that for probably a mile >what would it weigh ? and do you think an average girl could even do it?

I have been told that it was almost always just the cross piece carried too a waiting post, and that often the criminal was made to carry the big hammer and the nails,( spikes really), hehehehehehe, in either a crude rope belt or hung around the neck, often with the crime written on a cheap sign. I'm not sure that was a good idea, giving a criminal about to be crucified possible deadly weapons near their person !!!!! It's not like they have much too lose,right?
I made some estimations.

A minimal length of 1,8 m is required for the crossbeam. Width and height depend on the strength needed. In the specific case that the condemned has to carry the beam, the weakest point is not the condemned’s weight (the wood will be flexible enough to cope with that) when crucified, but the point where the crossbeam is attached to the pole (can be used as the fulcrum of lever working by the condemned’s arm motions). So, I would require at least 15cm x 15 cm to be safe. That gives a volume of 0,0405 cubic meters. For wood with a density of 1000 kg per cubic meter (like oak), you get a weight of 40 kg, to be carried in the neck. For a bit more safety, using beams of 0,2 m x 0,2 m, the weight will be 72 kg.

More concern is to anchor the pole deep enough in the ground, so that it would not topple. It must also be thick enough to avoid breaking.

I made some estimations.

A minimal length of 1,8 m is required for the crossbeam. Width and height depend on the strength needed. In the specific case that the condemned has to carry the beam, the weakest point is not the condemned’s weight (the wood will be flexible enough to cope with that) when crucified, but the point where the crossbeam is attached to the pole (can be used as the fulcrum of lever working by the condemned’s arm motions). So, I would require at least 15cm x 15 cm to be safe. That gives a volume of 0,0405 cubic meters. For wood with a density of 1000 kg per cubic meter (like oak), you get a weight of 40 kg, to be carried in the neck. For a bit more safety, using beams of 0,2 m x 0,2 m, the weight will be 72 kg.

More concern is to anchor the pole deep enough in the ground, so that it would not topple. It must also be thick enough to avoid breaking.

Even so, sometimes you just get a bad piece of wood. Makar's Broken Crucifixion video is a case-in-point:

Even so, sometimes you just get a bad piece of wood. Makar's Broken Crucifixion video is a case-in-point:
Love that scene. Oftentimes, in Germany, if a wheel or gibbet was broken with the victim attached to it was taken as a sign from God to free them. I have imagined a similar idea with a girl on an old, weak cross, who is saved from death at the last moment by an interior wood rot.

Love that scene. Oftentimes, in Germany, if a wheel or gibbet was broken with the victim attached to it was taken as a sign from God to free them. I have imagined a similar idea with a girl on an old, weak cross, who is saved from death at the last moment by an interior wood rot.
I doubt the spectators here would be so forgiving, hehehehehehehehehehe

I doubt the spectators here would be so forgiving, hehehehehehehehehehe
Well after hours and hours of suffering, naked, humiliated, and in endless agony from the nails in your wrists and feet, perhaps they might feel like you have paid for your crime.

Well after hours and hours of suffering, naked, humiliated, and in endless agony from the nails in your wrists and feet, perhaps they might feel like you have paid for your crime.
hummmmmmmmm.......i don't know, maybe, i certainly wouldn't, if you do the crime, you must do the time, hehehehehehehheehehe

hummmmmmmmm.......i don't know, maybe, i certainly wouldn't, if you do the crime, you must do the time, hehehehehehehheehehe
Perhaps the women would be begging for death at that point, and not release. It would be yet another cruelty to let her live on after such a traumatic torture!

You would be a great executioner! You don’t want to crucify the girl, you want to execute her. But not every crucifixion should end in death. No, you want to keep the reader engaged with their peril.
hehehehehehehe, Law and order that's me, hehehehehehehe, well if the criminal was sentenced to a certain amount of time, that's fair.

Back
Top Bottom