Death And The Maiden

Go to CruxDreams.com
She's said to have had a son, though admittedly that's a fairly minor mention in one of the legends, but she could turn herself into a seductive siren, and all manner of other creatures, though she more usually appeared as a hideous hag who froze warriors with terror. The crow was her familiar, always portrayed with her, she was a blend of Gorgon and Valkyrie.

She's said to have had a son, though admittedly that's a fairly minor mention in one of the legends, but she could turn herself into a seductive siren, and all manner of other creatures, though she more usually appeared as a hideous hag who froze warriors with terror. The crow was her familiar, always portrayed with her, she was a blend of Gorgon and Valkyrie.
Well, perhaps not a maiden in the strictest sense, but in some accounts the Morrigan is a threefold entity, one of which is a seductive youthful (and yet deceoptive?) personage. The crow or raven is required, yes - how would we know it was the Morrigan without the crow. Blend of Gorgon and Valkyrie is an apt description. :)

MEANWHILE, THIS MAY BE A FIRST - I BELIEVE THIS WOMAN THINKS SHE IS SOMEHOW RESCUING ME. WHY SHE WOULD WANT TO IS BEYOND ME, BUT I HATE TO DISCOURAGE HER... :rolleyes: :devil:
imprisoned-12.jpg imprisoned-14.jpg

Well, perhaps not a maiden in the strictest sense, but in some accounts the Morrigan is a threefold entity, one of which is a seductive youthful (and yet deceoptive?) personage. The crow or raven is required, yes - how would we know it was the Morrigan without the crow. Blend of Gorgon and Valkyrie is an apt description. :)

MEANWHILE, THIS MAY BE A FIRST - I BELIEVE THIS WOMAN THINKS SHE IS SOMEHOW RESCUING ME. WHY SHE WOULD WANT TO IS BEYOND ME, BUT I HATE TO DISCOURAGE HER... :rolleyes: :devil:
View attachment 916238 View attachment 916239
We kinky girls all have skeletons in our cupboards :devil:

Yup,

there's a page that comments:

Jürgen Zänkers [author of a book on crucified women] conclusion is that in art history almost all crucified woman on paintings are alive; seldom they are dead; and if they are dead, their bodies are always intact.
Not so with De Boever. It is a pity that on writing his book Zänker didn’t know De Boevers painting. It shows the remains of a female body, nearly a skeleton, still pending on the cross, victim of a satanic ritual, used in a shameless black mass.
It is the last painting that De Boever ever made; he should die only a few months later. It is a nice example of the clear/obscure technique that De Boever used at this epoch. Why did he wait until the end of his lifetime for painting this subject? He painted many blaspheme images. Did he perhaps have some scruple to paint this ultimate subject?
Compare with Rops’ Temptation of Saint Anthony, with the woman that is clearly alive; compare with Waterhouses dead martyr Saint Eulalia whose body is perfectly intact; compare with the picture by Drtikol, the Czech photographer and with Albert von Keller, whose woman might be dead or alive, who knows? ...
I have no way of veryfing that De Boever dropped dead after finishing that painting. But it's a nice story.

Yes, looking through that thread, there aren't many actual paintings of crucified women who are evidently dead, but then there aren't all that many in the history of Western art of crucified women who are still alive.

Back
Top Bottom