Describing the Sounds of Suffering

Go to CruxDreams.com
J

Juan1234

Often the reaction of the woman being tortured or punished is the most exciting thing to me. I try hard when I write to capture the sounds she makes, but it can be very difficult. How would you all describe the sounds these girls make?

Often the reaction of the woman being tortured or punished is the most exciting thing to me. I try hard when I write to capture the sounds she makes, but it can be very difficult. How would you all describe the sounds these girls make?

Music to my ears?

Censored? :rolleyes:

I believe that it is one of the most difficult things for a CF writer. There are really only a few ways to describe it in words (not counting repeating letters endlessly - Aragggggghhhhhhhhh; or repeating exclamation points ad nauseam - !!!!!!!!!!!) I try to make indirect reference "she howled in agony!" often, to avoid repetitious use of a few words or sounds. Fortunately, most readers already have the sounds of suffering in their imagination, so we need only to suggest the sound.

I believe that it is one of the most difficult things for a CF writer. There are really only a few ways to describe it in words (not counting repeating letters endlessly - Aragggggghhhhhhhhh; or repeating exclamation points ad nauseam - !!!!!!!!!!!) I try to make indirect reference "she howled in agony!" often, to avoid repetitious use of a few words or sounds. Fortunately, most readers already have the sounds of suffering in their imagination, so we need only to suggest the sound.
Yes, I agree completely. Often my favorite sounds are the suppressed, subtle ones, though. It can be so hard to come up with how to describe those nuances to put an unexpected, fresh "sound" in the reader's "ear."

Yes, I agree completely. Often my favorite sounds are the suppressed, subtle ones, though. It can be so hard to come up with how to describe those nuances to put an unexpected, fresh "sound" in the reader's "ear."

Hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again
Because a vision softly creeping
Left its seeds while I was sleeping
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains
Within the sound of silence

In restless dreams I walked alone
Narrow streets of cobblestone
'Neath the halo of a street lamp
I turned my collar to the cold and damp
When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

And in the naked light I saw
Ten thousand people, maybe more
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share
And no…

This is an interesting discussion. I've tried both concepts in my stories - the Aagh-eeeegh-oooh stuff and the descriptive (ear-piercing shriek, roar of agony, hideous screech, etc.). Never really felt I've captured the effect. Of the two, I probably prefer the descriptive method rather than trying to replicate the (imagined) sound. I'd really like to hear what readers think.

"intoxicating"

Back
Top Bottom