DeviantArt is different....

Go to CruxDreams.com
I joined DA in July. I only have Eclipse. There is no alternative. I much prefer using a decent sized screen to view images, but I use my mobile to access it all the time. I find the mobile version of the site equally unusable as is said above, and only view it in desktop mode. However, I load the desktop version differently (because I am using Firefox, perhaps?). To the furthest right of the top tool bar (where the URL appears) are three vertical dots: clicking this is how I switch to desktop mode.

I joined DA in July. I only have Eclipse. There is no alternative. I much prefer using a decent sized screen to view images, but I use my mobile to access it all the time. I find the mobile version of the site equally unusable as is said above, and only view it in desktop mode. However, I load the desktop version differently (because I am using Firefox, perhaps?). To the furthest right of the top tool bar (where the URL appears) are three vertical dots: clicking this is how I switch to desktop mode.
Are you saying, that when you click on your own avatar at the top of the page , you don’t get a drop-down menu that includes “switch to old site” ?? :confused:

I like to view galleries 25 pictures to the page. It keeps the load times reasonable and I can tell how much more of a gallery there is to see (eg I am on page 7 of 10). Eclipse had only one endlessly scrolling page, and I had to pay if I wanted to see individual pages. Goodbye Eclipse!

If DeviantArt get rid of the old site I will drop it quicker than Tumblr.

Are you saying, that when you click on your own avatar at the top of the page , you don’t get a drop-down menu that includes “switch to old site” ?? :confused:
Ok, this is weird! (And for a while I thought I was......inobservant). I read your comment on a mobile, Monty, so I went to my DA tab and checked. There, exactly as you described, was the "switch to old site" llama. When I clicked on it, however, it gave me an error message. Now I am home and I have tried on my laptop. No "Switch" button. I am puzzled!

Ok, this is weird! (And for a while I thought I was......inobservant). I read your comment on a mobile, Monty, so I went to my DA tab and checked. There, exactly as you described, was the "switch to old site" llama. When I clicked on it, however, it gave me an error message. Now I am home and I have tried on my laptop. No "Switch" button. I am puzzled!
I think it’s a dinosaur, not a llama :confused: .. all I can say is, it works fine for me. On mobile, I switch to “desktop version” (I find DA mobile is horrible) and then switch to the old site using that drop-down menu as I described. On a lap-top, you switch to the old site (perversely) by clicking the button marked “eclipse”. It’s sort of a toggle switch, so if you’re already in eclipse, clicking that will take youto the old site. Again,thus works for me... if it’s not working for you I don’t know what to suggest. Different browser? (I use Edge on laptop and safari on mobile)

I think it’s a dinosaur, not a llama :confused: .. all I can say is, it works fine for me. On mobile, I switch to “desktop version” (I find DA mobile is horrible) and then switch to the old site using that drop-down menu as I described. On a lap-top, you switch to the old site (perversely) by clicking the button marked “eclipse”. It’s sort of a toggle switch, so if you’re already in eclipse, clicking that will take youto the old site. Again,thus works for me... if it’s not working for you I don’t know what to suggest. Different browser? (I use Edge on laptop and safari on mobile)
Oh, yeah. It's a dinosaur. (It's just everything else on DA that's a llama!). I still think the problem is that there is no switch back option for new accounts. I agree with you about DA mobile - they want us to switch to the app. I have just tried the "switch" button again - same error. And I wondered about the browser too (I use FF, and that does do funny things, sometimes) - it's the same in three others!

Let's face it, DA wants everyone on Eclipse!

Oh, yeah. It's a dinosaur. (It's just everything else on DA that's a llama!). I still think the problem is that there is no switch back option for new accounts. I agree with you about DA mobile - they want us to switch to the app. I have just tried the "switch" button again - same error. And I wondered about the browser too (I use FF, and that does do funny things, sometimes) - it's the same in three others!

Yes it may be so.. unless it’s to do with having /not having core membership.. I guess they probably do want us all to use eclipse do they can shut down the old site eventually.. no doubt I will get used to it.. :rolleyes: perhaps they will add back in the features I like (though I’m not holding my breath) and maybe the whole thing will get faster and better. Well, one can hope..

I drive an iPad, and don’t check in on DeviantArt Art very often. But so far, which is to say the last few minutes, I find the new setup different but not impenetrable.

Just an update: DeviantArt have announced they’re closing down the “old” site on may 20th. Big surprise .. like they were ever going to allow the old one to co-exist alongside their shiny new eclipse version... :doh:

What this means is that from that date, it’s “eclipse” or nothing. Well, actually, maybe not nothing. There’s a group called “ArtSpacious” setting up a new art platform based closely on pre-eclipse DA. https://www.deviantart.com/artspacious/blog/

They’re asking for suggestions etc, mine was to include a copyright declaration with each upload that you have to tick, something like “I declare that this is my own original work and I am the copyright owner”.

so check it out especially if, like @RedOrc you’re not a fan of eclipse. It reminds me of when tumblr went mad and banned NSFW content, a group of enthusiasts set up BDSMLR very quickly.

I’m not planning on leaving DA but I’m not a fan of their strong-arm tactics, especially since eclipse is far from perfect. I’ve been switching back and forth between eclipse and old-DA for the last couple of weeks, trying to acclimatise myself to the new system , and every time I switch back to old-DA I find a ton of notifications that eclipse was not showing me, those are all things I will miss totally when old-DA goes. So if these guys can get ArtSpacious off the ground, I’m in.

Last edited by a moderator:
It reminds me of when tumblr went mad and banned NSFW content, a group of enthusiasts set up BDSMLR very quickly.

Yeah and Tumbler REALLY went on to great things after that bone-headed decision didn't it? NOT

That's what you get for bending the knee to the puritanical millennials on bloody twatter - Get Woke, Go Broke - Every time, without fail.

I've got used to Eclipse, it's irritating in several ways, but I wasn't that fond of the old version -
but I've just checked and can still toggle back to the old style using the switch on the top bar.
I'm using Chrome, on my PC.

I've got used to Eclipse, it's irritating in several ways, but I wasn't that fond of the old version -
but I've just checked and can still toggle back to the old style using the switch on the top bar.
I'm using Chrome, on my PC.
Yeah well, as I said, you won’t be able to do that after may 20th. Instead of making Eclipse so damn good that everyone prefers it, they’re going to force everyone to switch by closing down the original, despite howls of protests from a lot of users. But I’m glad you’re ok with eclipse..I am too, really, I’ll just miss a few features; it won’t kill me. :rolleyes:

There may be technical or financial reasons why keeping two versions going is non-viable, such things are beyond my brain.
But, like you, it's the apparently arbitrary or irrational censorship they impose that troubles me more,
not that I've fallen foul of it, but plenty of friends have done for what seemed to me perfectly harmless 'mature content'.

There may be technical or financial reasons why keeping two versions going is non-viable, such things are beyond my brain.
But, like you, it's the apparently arbitrary or irrational censorship they impose that troubles me more,
not that I've fallen foul of it, but plenty of friends have done for what seemed to me perfectly harmless 'mature content'.
That, at least, is likely to continue unchanged.. whether ArtSpacious will do a better job of supporting kink/erotica artists remains to be seen; the good will is certainly there and they have some innovative ideas. :thumbsup:

This is the Last week of “old” Deviant Art, after May 20th it’s “eclipse” only.

If there’s anything you think you might lose, better save it now. Lots of people have said they will leave; I doubt very many will rage-quit, but I think a lot more will drift away. I’ve been trying to use eclipse for the last couple of weeks and can only stand it for a short while before I switch back to “old” DA, so I’m not looking forward to this.. so much seems to just NOT WORK properly, like it’s still a beta test version or something.

For example, if a gallery or a favourites folder has more than say 250 images in it, you scroll down and down (because pagination or page-separation has been stripped out) but before you get to the bottom it just jumps out and resets back to the top. You literally can’t get to the images at the “bottom”, i.e. those uploaded the earliest. There are lots of other little niggles.. most of the other things I dislike are things they appear to have deliberately stripped out for some unknown reason (they hate their own users) but that just seems like a major bug just sitting there. OK, enough ranting. I do recognise the fact that the world has more serious problems. ;)

Just facepalming at this layout; when a comment thread in Eclipse has an exchange of replies, they get swiftly thinner and thinner ... This used to happen a bit, on old DA , but it would start a new page and reset to wide, before it got this extreme. Now you just have to read vertically. Cool..:(
3B2233AF-2FA2-43CA-B8DA-592FF83AFE85.jpeg

Just facepalming at this layout; when a comment thread in Eclipse has an exchange of replies, they get swiftly thinner and thinner ... This used to happen a bit, on old DA , but it would start a new page and reset to wide, before it got this extreme. Now you just have to read vertically. Cool..:(
View attachment 859926
One-word answers,in future...preferably monosyllabic.

if a gallery or a favourites folder has more than say 250 images in it, you scroll down and down (because pagination or page-separation has been stripped out)
a comment thread in Eclipse has an exchange of replies, they get swiftly thinner and thinner ...
Hmm both of these imply that they haven't been testing their frontend against real life use cases.
Web developers ought to be aware of scalability issues ... an interface displaying user-categorized media (which is what a favorites page really is) certainly ought to know how to handle 10.000 or 100.000 entries. The world and their dog have been doing this forever and failing on that means they are really putting 'the demo has to look cool' over the actual user experience.

Hell even my almost completely dormant deviantart account has 200 pics in the favorites page.

Photographers obviously also can run up 1000s or 10.000s of digital pics over a relative short time so you need to be able to manage that even in the gallery of self-produced content.

It's amazing that they'd shoot themselves in the foot by punishing those that actually intensively use the community but wouldn't be the first time.

Hmm both of these imply that they haven't been testing their frontend against real life use cases.
Web developers ought to be aware of scalability issues ... an interface displaying user-categorized media (which is what a favorites page really is) certainly ought to know how to handle 10.000 or 100.000 entries. The world and their dog have been doing this forever and failing on that means they are really putting 'the demo has to look cool' over the actual user experience.

Hell even my almost completely dormant deviantart account has 200 pics in the favorites page.

Photographers obviously also can run up 1000s or 10.000s of digital pics over a relative short time so you need to be able to manage that even in the gallery of self-produced content.

It's amazing that they'd shoot themselves in the foot by punishing those that actually intensively use the community but wouldn't be the first time.
Yes, really seems like they’ve still got their trousers round their ankles and their shoes on the wrong feet. No doubt there will be patches and updates.. but it’s bloody annoying that they’re withdrawing the old version which works perfectly fine. Style over substance. :doh:

Back
Top Bottom