Email notifications of messages and new posts

Go to CruxDreams.com
I suspect not many of you rely on these, but they have suddenly stopped working (again - I remember this happening a few months ago). I shall revert to keeping up-to-date via new posts.
I never have relied on them. And if they aren’t working, I had nothing to do with that. Just saying for the record. ;)

If you keep an eye on the cookies (ie by making sure you have visited the last page of a thread) they are pretty reliable.

Your alibi being that you are on trial (for a similar offence) as it happened.....?

Thanks. Good plan. Would you like a job on my defense team?

There may have been a temporary blip in the email alert system, that has happened in the recent past and seems to be pretty quickly rectified. It's my impression, from my own experience and what others say, that if you've opted to have email alerts for Private Messages these come through pretty reliably, but notification of new posts on watched threads is more patchy, as are the Alerts accessed on the top bar or via Your News Feed - I think XenForo runs some algorithm that rations that information, presumably to avoid overload, but I've no idea how it selects what it sends you.

Yesterday, it was not getting email alerts for Private Messages that drew my attention to it. But it was only a short blip, unlike earlier this year, when it was out for days.

Hey, just want to mention that I'm not getting the alerts (bell icon) on a few of my watched threads. :(
Like I said, I think XenForo runs some algorithm that rations that information, presumably to avoid overload, but I've no idea how it selects what it sends you and what gets missed. But check your News Feed, and/or What's New.

Yeah the notifications prioritize @ mentions, then quotes, then replies in watched threads (but always only a notification for the first reply since you last visited the thread, not any subsequent replies), and then likes. I’d you haven’t viewed a thread in a while, it’s less likely to ping you with a notification of a reply in that thread. If you don’t clear the notification of the reply by going into the thread, that one notification will be all you get and you won’t start getting thread post notifications until you go back into the thread. At least, that has been my experience.

Yeah the notifications prioritize @ mentions, then quotes, then replies in watched threads (but always only a notification for the first reply since you last visited the thread, not any subsequent replies), and then likes. I’d you haven’t viewed a thread in a while, it’s less likely to ping you with a notification of a reply in that thread. If you don’t clear the notification of the reply by going into the thread, that one notification will be all you get and you won’t start getting thread post notifications until you go back into the thread. At least, that has been my experience.
I tend not to use the bell notifications thingy - my use of CF is driven by email alerts and occasionally checking new posts. The thing to watch out for (unless there's a hiccup/hiccough) is that you visit the last page of a thread. In other words. you get an email notification that there's a new post; you visit page 37 and read it, but fail to notice that there are further new posts on page 38; no more email notifications.

That makes sense - I do use the 'bell' signals, and if I read a post I've been alerted to but don't notice there are more to follow, the bell tells me, it continues alerting me to that thread.

Because I ticked off every box I could find and I'm still getting them. Given that my email is tied to my phone number and Mr Google has no trouble linking all the crazy I'm subscribed to to my realname, it is a serious privacy concern.

Back
Top Bottom