Escape to Tampico

Go to CruxDreams.com

Loxuru

Graf von Kreuzigung
In early 2019, our great and dynamic writing duo @Barbaria1 and @windar enjoyed us with a story, about Barb getting into trouble and facing prison :

https://www.cruxforums.com/xf/threads/barb-behind-bars.7251/

At the time of the publication on CF, there was an ongoing political conflict in the real US , resulting into a shutdown of public services. In one of my comments, just after the start of the story, I suggested Barb and Goldman to seize the opportunity to escape court, by fleeing to Mexico.

Barb and Windar’s story turned differently, but in my own parallel universe, the other choice, my suggestion to escape to Mexico, was made. What may have happened then?

We’ll only know if you tell us, which you are about to do. In any case, it’s probably going to be fraught with peril.
Wait and see! I am doing the last cosmetics to Episode 1. ::icon_writing:

Meanwhile, here is the trailer! :)

“I would have had more confidence if his name would have been Thomas Jefferson, Andrew Jackson or Grover Cleveland!”

“Benjamin Franklin was never a president!”
“Before he finds out, we are a long way gone!”

“Go on! Quibbling like a married couple may boost our credibility as tourists!”

“He works for a business organization!”
“What business?”
“Business is business!”
“Don’t fool me! I am a former detective! I smell crime, here!”

“Stop complaining and walk!”

“All right, but no more than two glasses, do you hear?”

“Bribing a Mexican official! So Gringo!”
“He accepted it! Old habits die hard, on both sides!”

“He doesn’t look pleased!?”
“Maybe he doesn’t like girl power?”

“What if I would send you on a mission!?”
“What kind of a mission!?”
“You were a cop! You know how to use weapons! I could send you for a kill!”

“Where in the fine print of the game rules is it written that these guys are allowed better equipment than we have!?”

“Angel of Death! Isn’t that your nickname, coincidentally?”
“Throughout the years, I’ve reached a position I can delegate!”

“We are trophy’s, aren’t we!?”

“Let’s go for it, Xena!”
“Good luck, Gabrielle!”

“Wrecking my car, you knew I loved so much! You broke my heart!”

“Oh, shit!”

A fugitive ex-cop tries to escape justice in Mexico. Thanks to her partner, who seems to have his contacts there. But soon, they have to build up a new life, in a society that is not free of dangers, and that has its own laws. What compromise are they prepared to make, and what risks do they have to take?

ESCAPE TO TAMPICO
First episode coming soon!

“I would have had more confidence if his name would have been Thomas Jefferson, Andrew Jackson or Grover Cleveland!”
Martin van Buren was a fine President. He was the first one born in the US (in 1782, after independence) and the only one to grow up speaking a language other than English (Dutch, which was widely spoken in the Hudson Valley of New York at that time). He made Time magazine's 2014 list of "Top Ten Forgettable Presidents". But is being forgettable that bad? Better forgotten than remembered as terrible (not thinking of any President in particular....).

“Stop complaining and walk!”
Since when has she ever stopped complaining?

“All right, but no more than two glasses, do you hear?”

Three, but who's counting?

Looking forward to the story, Lox. Mexico is nice this time of year...

January 20th, 2019, the late afternoon. Eagle Pass, Texas. US Highway 57.

Since December 22th 2018, the US Federal Government is in shutdown, the longest shutdown in US history. A conflict between the President and Congress, on an appropriations bill, legislation concerning the funding of departments and agencies forced the Federal Government to close all non-essential services, affecting 800 000 civil servants having to work without pay or being furloughed.

The road to the International Bridge, leading to the Mexican border, was clogged by trucks, occupying two of the three lanes of the highway. Sam Reingold carefully drove his Ford Granada 1981 along the row, since, despite the interdiction, some truckers still boldly dared to take the third lane. Due to the already weeks long US Government shutdown, only one of the two border crossings at Eagle Pass was open, and that one was manned by a minimal staff.

“Careful, Sam!”

Barbarella ‘Bella’ Moss, sitting on the front right seat was worried. She knew, Reingold was exhausted by the long voyage they had made so far. Besides the danger of trucks, unexpectedly changing lane, the queuing cars on the left lane regularly came to a stop. Once more, red brake lights flashed on ahead of them, and this was not the place to have an accident.

“I see it!” Sam answered, as he slowed down, taking care to keep a safe distance.

“Sam! There it is!” Bella said.

“Yep! Nervous?”

“Shouldn’t I?”

The traffic had come to a standstill, then the queue moved again, slowly, at the imposed speed limit of 5 mph.

“As far as I can see from here, most cars may proceed’”

“Sam! Suppose they have discovered our escape!?”

“Little chance, since you only had to appear before the judge tomorrow!”

“Can you trust the guy who ‘fixed’ our passports?”

“As far as I know him, he has no interest in disclosing the clients of his little business! Trust is important in his branch!”

Bella and Sam were former members of the Washington DC Police Department. Both had been a long time team in the Detective Squad. When Reingold retired, Moss also had left the force, and both had started a private security business, which was running well in the paranoid world, Washington DC had become. During the recent months, a notorious crime ring, hacking company websites, had been busted, with the help of Bella, using her still unblocked access accounts from the police. The police chief in charge was however not pleased, by Bella’s actions, since her intervention had revealed considerable operational and security flaws the force’s computer system. He even got a reprimand for it, instead of getting a reward for the bust, since he had neglected to block Bella’s credentials when she had left the force. Angered, he had made up a judicial case against Bella. She faced up to four years of prison, since her odds did not seem to look good, according to her lawyer. Reingold had found the lawyer for her, and whose name was :

“Warren Gamaliel Harding!? Yikes, Reingold, do I have to entrust my fate to a lawyer named after America’s worst rated president ever!?”

“Wrong! That honour has now fallen on the incumbent! And that Harding was the best affordable one I could get!”

“There was also one named Richard Milhouse Nixon available! No joking! Would you have preferred him?”

“Well, Reingold, maybe that one would have tricked me out!”

“Strange statement for a blue state girl, whose mom has been busted three times, long ago, during Vietnam protests!”

“Reingold! Don’t you realize, I am facing Habakuk Cruxton Wragg, aka ‘The Inquisitioner’ as public attorney, and Bill Seagram, nicknamed ‘The Hanging Tree’, as a judge!?”

Bella had decided not to take the risk of a trial. She saw only one solution! Escape to Mexico! Reingold seemed reluctant to the idea, but she had pressed him to help her. Then, shutdown struck, offering an opportunity. Meanwhile, time was becoming short – shutdown or not, Wragg & Seagram were so focused on their job, they were determined to speak a verdict, even without pay! Bella had hoped to take advantage of the Federal Government shutdown. But ‘shutdown’ meant they would never get an officially arranged passport in time. Yet, Reingold had managed to ‘fix’ something.

Slowly, Reingold approached the US border control. There were a few border guards, scrutinizing the cars along. One guard had a smartphone, ticking data while the cars drove along.

“What’s he doing?” Bella nervously asked.

“I guess he is entering car registration numbers!”

“Oh! Shit!”

“Don’t worry! I never had a ticket in my life! I just hope you paid those you collected when using my car?”

“Very funny, Reingold!”

“Moss! Take it easy, will you!? These border guard guys have an eye for suspicious body language!”

“Suppose they recognize me!?”

“How should they!? I see no posters around here with a bounty on your head! This is Texas, after all! Wanted! Dead or alive! Bella Moss! Follows a list of crimes! I bet your face will be beautiful enough to be worth 3000 dollars! Sure, I would denounce you on the spot then, and collect it!”

“Reingold, you moron! I hate you!”

“Go on, Moss! Quibbling like a married couple may boost our credibility as tourists!”

Bella took a deep sigh, and turned her head away from Reingold, and from the border control. Trying to hide her annoyance and fear, resting her chin on her right hand, her elbow on the arm rest.

The car in front of them slowly passed along the border guards. They signaled he could move on.

“The moment of truth!” Bella whispered.

The guard scrutinized Reingold’s car. Then, he made a step forward and signaled to stop!

“Oh, shit!” Bella exclaimed.

(to be continued)

Wrong! That honour has now fallen on the incumbent! And that Harding was the best affordable one I could get!”
After all, you don't get the highest caliber representation for $10/hour. But maybe Barb can sweeten the deal...

“Go on, Moss! Quibbling like a married couple may boost our credibility as tourists!”
Mexico used to be a destination for quicky divorces...

Barbarella ‘Bella’ Moss,
Will Jane Fonda play her in the movie?

Reingold obediently stopped his car, and he cranked his window open, as the border guard stepped by.

“Good afternoon, Sir, Ma’am!”

“Good afternoon, officer!”

“From Washington DC, Sir, and going to Mexico!?”

“Yes, officer, a Holiday trip!”

“Just two reminders, Sir! First, be careful, the Holiday resorts over there are safe, but other places may not be. Always inform yourself about the risks! Secondly, do you have your passports with you?”

Bella got cold sweat.

“Yes, officer!? Here they are!”

“Good, just a checking if you have them with you! Without passports, you could get into trouble, on your re-entry otherwise!”

“Thanks for the reminder, officer!”

“Now, just one thing, Sir! I notice you drive a fine old timer, clearly still in good shape! I have a friend who collects 60’s to 80’s vintage cars. He could offer you a good price for your car, if you are interested! Here is his card!”

“Thank you, officer! I will consider it!”

“Have a nice holiday, Sir!”

“Thank you!”

Reingold drove on, entering the bridge over the Rio Grande!

“Yikes! Reingold! That rolling scrap iron of you is drawing undesired attention!”

“Scrap iron, Moss!? You just heard, people offer a fortune for it! And the reason is obvious! From coast to coast, you will find no car that is so lovingly maintained as this baby!”

“At least, we got over this hurdle!”

“There is the next one!” Reingold said, as he slowed down and joined the queue extending to the last third of the bridge.

‘ADUANA MEXICO’

“Which lane, Moss!?”

“Nada que declarer! We have nothing to declare, don’t we, Reingold!?”

“Except for a fugitive suspect!”

“Reingold! Stop it! I am not in the mood for your dull stupid jokes!”

Meanwhile, they had reached the Mexican border control.

“Pasaportes por favor!” a Mexican border guard asked. Reingold handed them over through the open window.

The guard controlled the passports. He went into an office shed with them.

“I takes so long, Reingold!?”

“Don’t worry, they check passports of all cars, don’t you notice!?”

“We are in trouble, Reingold! I knew it! They discovered the forgery!”

“You wanted to go to Mexico, Moss!”

“I…”

“There he is!”

The border guard gave the passports back.

“Muy bien, señor, señora! Feliz viaje!”

“Gracias!”

Reingold drove on.

“You see!?” Sam said “Muy bien! Piece of cake!”

“Didn’t they notice irregularities?”

“Moss! The greetings of a dead president open many gates!”

“Dead president? What do you mean!?”

“A little help from Benjamin Franklin!”

“Reingold! Benjamin Franklin was never a president!"

“Before that border guard finds out, we are a long way gone!”

“Reingold! Don’t tell me you put a hundred dollar banknote in our passport!?”

“And it’s cashed! Old habits die hard, Moss, on both sides of the border!”

“Reingold, you awful Gringo!”

‘Bienvenido en Piedras Negras’, a sign said. Along the road, Bella and Sam witnessed the chaos created by the shutdown at the Mexican side of the border. The queue of trucks was even longer than at the US side. Some truckers were camping, in or next to their truck. Other campers, in the fields along the roads, were immigrants, waiting for an opportunity to enter Texas.

“Sam! Shall we find a place to sleep here!? And actually, I am tired and you should better take some rest too before you drive on further!? And no way I am going to sleep in the car, in this place crowded with strangers!”

“Don’t worry, señora Moss, it’s all arranged!” Sam said.

(to be continued)

“So, Sam, we made it over the border! That’s one big obstacle taken!”

“Right! Shall we toast on it!?”

“Sure! Too bad they have no authentic Italian Pinot Grigio on the wine list!”

“It is a motel, Bella! The customers do not come here with too high culinary expectations! Most of them, like us, are travelers, mostly professionals, underway from somewhere to somewhere!”

“Sure! But even then, Sam Reingold, proposing a bottle of Chardonnay, first!? Who do you think I am? Bridget Jones!?”

“The Riesling is fine!”

“Right! It is not that bad!”

“But no more than two glasses, do you hear, Moss!”

Having crossed Piedras Negras, Sam had taken the road to Monterrey. At the outskirts of Piedras Negras, he had entered the parking lot of a motel.

Although the name sounded a little bit flattering, ‘El Dorchester Motel’ had the comfort of an average US motel. Most of the guests were truckers, grounded at the border due to the shutdown, and sometimes sleeping with three or four in one room, but to Bella’s surprise, the motel had a vacant room for the two of them. Apparently, Sam had booked one in advance, but considering the shutdown in the US was already going on when they started their journey, Bella was surprised about how he had managed it to do.

Their escape trail had brought them across Virginia, Tennessee, then a fast dash across Arkansas, and finally Texas from north to south. They had made long hauls, and two short motel stays, having got up early in the morning. Including the hasty preparations of their travel, this would be the first night after a half a week they could sleep in longer, the next morning. Due to the circumstances, they had not had no intimacy anymore, and although Bella was dead tired, she longed to just a bit of fun. After having taken a shower and the diner, with the bottle of Riesling to celebrate their successful border crossing, she prepared to go to bed.

Meanwhile, Sam was doing a phone call, to ‘arrange a few things’, he had said. She had no idea what he had in mind, but apparently, he had set up their escape journey swiftly. As he reentered the room, she was too tired to inquire him about his call. No time to waste on talking. With a seducing smile, and her bare legs strategically exposed from under her night gown, she invited him to lay down next to her But instead, he…;

“Sam?!”

Sam said nothing, but he had taken the remote control of the TV and started zapping.

“Sam! What are you doing!”

“Just see if…!”

“Oh no, Sam..”

“Ah here it is! Wow! The original series!”

“Reingold! Is that all you are interested in!? How many times have you watched these reruns!?”

Sam had found a channel that aired ‘Cheers’, his longtime favorite sitcom (Bella thereby suspected him to prefer the early episodes with blonde Shelley Long, over these with Kirstie Alley, a brunette as she was herself. “Nothing personal, Moss! It is just a general rule that the first seasons are always the best!” he used to reply).

“Hey! Reingold! I am here! Or is Shelley Long more important than me!? You have not touched me in days anymore! I also have feelings, you know!?”

“Damn! It is dubbed in Spanish! Where to hell are the subtitles!?

“There it is! Dubbed in Spanish! Good! We just entered Mexico, and the Revenge of Quetzalcoatl has struck you already! How would you ever survive here if you don’t understand Spanish!? Reingold! You always said you did! Now switch off that thing!”

“I know Spanish, Moss, but dubbed TV shows are always spoken too fast for me, in any language!”

After a bit of fumbling with the remote control, having found no subtitles, Reingold gave up.

“All right, my bella Bella..” he said, stretching his arms towards her.

“Reingold! Stay away from me!”

“But you said…?”

“Too late, Reingold! Quetzalcoatl just gave me an instant terrible headache! Have fun with dreaming of Shelley Long! Let me sleep!”

(to be continued)

then a fast dash across Arkansas,

The quicker the better, but watch out for speed traps. They hang blue state girls there even when they aren’t the driver.

Sam had found a channel that aired ‘Cheers’,

The good news is that his favorite sitcom isn’t Seinfeld.

“Too late, Reingold! Quetzalcoatl just gave me an instant terrible headache! Have fun with dreaming of Shelley Long! Let me sleep!”

Serves ya right, Reingiold. Golden opportunities are fleeting and you just missed this one … totally!

Rollicking good fun, Lox. The humor is delightful. Press on!

‘El Dorchester Motel’
Doubtless less expensive than the one in London, thank goodness!

The good news is that his favorite sitcom isn’t Seinfeld.
He likes that one, too. And "Barney Miller" and "Brooklyn 99", too. And if you're good, maybe he'll find M*A*S*H for you.

“Reingold! Stay away from me!”
It seems you aren't so good, so Seinfeld it is. I've never watched it dubbed in Spanish before, but why not?

Monterrey, two days later.

“Gonzales! Long time no see!”

“Reingold! Amigo!”

‘Gonzales’ had the archetypical look of a Mexican. Tall, a rather tanned skin, flat black hair and a horseshoe moustache. He was about the age of Reingold.

“Bella, this is my old friend, Captain Gonzales! I know him from previous assignments!”

“Encantada, senõra!” Gonzales greeted her.

Gonzales came straight to the point. He knew about the affair Bella was involved in, and he had arranged a place to stay for them, for some time. He handed over vouchers and a few more documents. The place to go was located near the Gulf coast, not far from Tampico. It was named :

‘Mejillas Dulces Resort’.

The resort was a magnificent holiday complex, located close to the Gulf coast. Rooms (all with a view on the Gulf) were luxurious, food was excellent. The resort had a private beach. With the vouchers Gonzales had provided them, Sam and Bella had access to many facilities.

At first, Bella really felt like being on a luxury Holliday! She and Sam enjoyed the amenities. Yet, after a few days, doubts crept into Bella’s mind. First of all, in Washington DC, the prosecutor and the judge would be certainly missing her by now. What were the consequences? What action had been taken about it? Secondly, who would pay their stay in this resort? No one had mentioned it, at least not to her. What sources of money had they? Sam had a pension, but that was paid in the US? Could he transfer it to Mexico? Was he also suspected for helping her evading justice, and what were the consequences for himself and his, and their financial assets?

Meanwhile, she also wondered why there were so few guests in this resort? How could it sustain financially? Particularly, because it was guarded so well. On the road to it, they had encountered a true checkpoint, and only thanks to the vouchers, Gonzales had provided them, they had been allowed to pass. Certainly, that checkpoint had been much more vigilant than the official US and Mexican border services. Around the resort there was a small village, and Bella could walk freely there, but armed guards were all around, clearly on the watch for danger. Not quite a holiday place to feel safe for a tourist. And there was a perimeter she was not allowed to cross ‘for security reasons’.

Captain Gonzales was regularly around. Bella saw him giving orders to guards, and often briefing staff. He was particularly active when so called VIPs arrived, in big, expensive limousines, men in expensive suits, escorted by expensive women, and by a squad of bodyguards. Gonzales then had the lead of their reception.

Sam himself was often away, leaving her alone. When she complained about the fact that he seemed to be involved in ‘business’ in the resort, and apparently took part in meetings, he replied that he was working towards a sustainable income for the two of them. And on the question why she was not involved, he made a firm statement:

“This is not the US, Moss, this country is a man’s society! And so is business culture here! I cannot help it, and I cannot change it on my own!”

Reingold then stopped her further complaints with :

“Next time you take refuge in another country, study the local habits first!”

So, meanwhile, Bella had the opportunity to inquire more. And more and more, her experience and intuition that had made her once such an excellent detective in the Washington DC Police Department, made her feel that lots of things were not all right in that place. So, she decided to talk about it with Sam. She proposed to go to the beach, what he reluctantly accepted (he had found a channel that broadcasted ‘Cheers’ in English, and it was almost time for the next episode). But she insisted since, on the beach, there was hardly risk they would be bugged, and the noise of waves and wind in the open would make such very difficult anyway.

“Reingold! Who is that Captain Gonzales!?”

“He is a retired cop, a former police officer, just like me! I have worked with him in operations joint with DEA, in Washington DC, before you entered the force.”

“And what is he doing now!?”

“He is a private security consultant! The same as we did after I retired!”

“And whom is he privately consulting, and about what!?”

“Bella! Understand! We have to make a living here in Mexico! Or wherever we would go! We cannot just stay here! Life is not for free here either! We need some help and people who can help us to earn money!”

“Reingold! Whom is he working for!?”

“Gonzales works for a business organization!”

“What kind of business, Reingold!?”

“Does it matter, Moss!? Business is business!”

“Don’t lie to me, Reingold! I have eyes too! I am a former detective! I can smell crime! And I smell it around here everywhere! These armed men, these big limousines, these security measures! This is not just a holiday resort! This is a base for illegal activities! Answer me, Reingold! Has this place to do with cocaine traffic!?”

“Moss, I..!”

“To which drug cartel have we entrusted our fate!? I expect a straight answer, Reingold!?”

“All right! The… Zuni Cartel, but, understand, Moss, Gonzales, he…”

“The Zuni Cartel! Oh, shit! Well, thanks, Reingold, you really came up with the best! Damn, on second thoughts, I better had risked the services of attorney Warren G. Harding, against inquisitioner prosecutor Wragg and hanging judge Tree!”

(to be continued)

“Don’t lie to me, Reingold! I have eyes too! I am a former detective! I can smell crime! And I smell it around here everywhere! These armed men, these big limousines, these security measures! This is not just a holiday resort! This is a base for illegal activities! Answer me, Reingold! Has this place to do with cocaine traffic!?”
Yeah, pretty obvious. Even for a non-Detective What’s next, Lox?

Back
Top Bottom