Executioners?

Go to CruxDreams.com
I didn't mean legionnaires felt they were above crucifying someone.

Look at it from the command side..
Why use professional expert soldiers for that task? They are better used to protect the empire's borders.
Leave it to the less trained auxiliaries for such a mundane task if possible.
In modern times would a commander use a tank unit to guard a supply dump or use rank and file infantery soldiers to do that lesser job?
Normally he would use his tank unit where it can hurt the enemy most..

Tying down the condemned well before nailing is good to prevent fear induced fighting when they get nailed.
But if they fight you can always whip or beat them up to lessen their resistance.
Ofcourse a few strong men are usefull if something goes wrong :)

Tying down the condemned well before nailing is good to prevent fear induced fighting when they get nailed.
But if they fight you can always whip or beat them up to lessen their resistance.
Ofcourse a few strong men are usefull if something goes wrong :)
With the use of your weight it should be possible to keep the convicted down, probably a police or military police officer here can say so. I was not trained to treat prisoners. My superiors tended to say, "you have not to train that, you will shoot them anyway." Once my captain visited me on watch saying. "Oh you are here, okay then I know where the shooting comes from."......

Loving the response to my question.
May I just add something else to the conversation in respect of numbers.
It would take more than a couple of strong men to carry out a crucifixion.
So many times do we see, in films, only a couple of men nailing a victim to
a cross or beam. No way! If I was being nailed down I would struggle like mad.
The Gospel of Matthew film shows a thief struggling and fighting all the way, just
as it should be, and there is more than two holding him down.
Therefore, more realism in films please.

I just scrubbed through the 2014 film 4 hours, ugh, talk about drawn out.

Couldn't find the scene you mentioned. Can you be more specific as to the film you are referring to here?

I just scrubbed through the 2014 film 4 hours, ugh, talk about drawn out..

Couldn't find the scene you mentioned. Can you be more specific as to the film you are referring to here?
Sorry about that. It is The Gospel according to St Matthew by Pasolini (1964).
The struggles from the thief take 5 men to hold him down.
Start looking at 2:06 .26. Enjoy.

Sorry about that. It is The Gospel according to St Matthew by Pasolini (1964).
The struggles from the thief take 5 men to hold him down.
Start looking at 2:06 .26. Enjoy.
Fount it, thanks!

I agree. Five to one is more than enough to get the job done. I think we guys can remember back to the days of rough housing with friends. Even two to one was sufficient to overwhelm.

The struggles and screams are on point too. To many lame crucifixions out there where the guys being nailed barely struggle and put on not much more than an ouchy face when being crucified.

Pragmatically however, once the first arm is nailed it's all over for the condemned. It's going to be a much easier job to get the second arm nailed in place thereafter.

Feet and legs are going to be more difficult for sure The flailing of a man being put to death coupled with the relative power in the legs would make for a more challenging set of limbs to affix to a cross stipe. I have wondered if, at least sometimes, they didn't bother and simply tie them in place after the arms are nailed.

Feet and legs are going to be more difficult for sure The flailing of a man being put to death coupled with the relative power in the legs would make for a more challenging set of limbs to affix to a cross stipe. I have wondered if, at least sometimes, they didn't bother and simply tie them in place after the arms are nailed.

Once you got the feet tied.. nailing becomes much easier :D

Back
Top Bottom