Forced Undressing

Go to CruxDreams.com
The quintessential example of "Yellow Journalism," in the lead-up to the Spanish American War. Newspapers at the time screamed outrage, with headlines including, “Who Destroyed the Maine? $50,000 Reward,” “Spanish Treachery” and “Invasion!” The two newspaper barons of the US then, William Randolph Hearst and Joseph Pulitzer vied to sell the most papers with a drumbeat to war. A satire of their efforts from the time:
View attachment 988394
showed them dressed as the Yellow Kid (a popular cartoon character of the day). Hench the expression attached of "Yellow Journalism".
Their correspondents and editors were encouraged to submit and print the most outlandish stories to sell papers (the progenitor of the "Fake News" circulated today). That drawing was one of the best examples. I remember very well studying the War and coming across that image of the demure girl, naked among the evil Spaniards. I confess, that as a fourteen-year-old, I might have lingered on it for more than was necessary for historical education.:babeando: It supplied the basis for many fantasies in bed at night and help start the emotional journey that has brought me here. :very_hot:
"Fake news" has been around since the printing press was invented (even before that if you include the churches!)

One wonders did the early version of the Catholic church invent the loincloth to 'clean up' their art?

Back
Top Bottom