Forced Undressing

Go to CruxDreams.com
1532: Turkish troops enslaving Austrian or Hungarian villagers
This pamphlet from the 1530's actually in the middle part is based on a description from 'Tractatus de moribus, condicionibus et nequitia Turcorum' which was published in 1481 by an escaped Ottoman slave. So the reference to Mohacs (1526) in the pamphlet is actually updating an older account to the then-present.

Quick, non-professional paraphrasing of the pamphlet text in English:

How the Turks trade with captive Christians, as in buying and selling them.​
I, Marx Eysenkern of Pada, have myself personally, under great pain, experienced the above depicted inhumane treatment and trade with captive Christians.​
In fact, for five years and three months, since the battle at Mohacs where King Louis of Hungary was slain, at this time being in my 26th year, I was led away captive, together with the others, bound and driven like cattle or hounds, which however in some ways had it better than we did.​
We were divided from each other, into many groups, some to the town, others to such fate as I describe.: Until I was bought and sold four times.​
But after such time and much miserable suffering I was delivered through the succor and mercy of God the Almighty whom I can for all my life not give enough praise and gratitude. Through this miraculous deliverance I could once more return to my home country which is indeed I see in many places bedeviled by the most wretched and pitiful pain, may God have mercy on these poor people.​
The how and what of the things that befell me in this time, would be a remarkable story of which I will not write at this point.​
In following this is the way captive Christians were held. The great merchants would receive freedom from the Turkish Emperor, because they give to him the tithe, in shape of the young boys, at 10, 12 and 15 years of age. The other captive Christians are sold, bought, pawned, or pledged as security, after the display of their prerogatives [?]. They also go to the encampments with their followers and buy from the soldiery. They bind and coffle them and drive them back all the way to their land.​
Once there, in every town there is a place dedicated to such captives,​
where the Turkish merchants can for hours inspect them with all their natural gifts and properties.​
Even mothers will be stripped naked, women, and one would also not spare a virgin.​
So they must jump and run in that place, so that any defect should be seen in public -​
whether it is a healthy or sick, crooked or lame one.​
And if there should be a bashful one, it will be forced to do so with rod and scourge.​
There is also no respect for rank, dignity, honor, or ability of any kind - the peasant counts as much as the nobleman, and so forth.​
If for instance a person is then sold into the house of some hopeless scoundrel,​
all work of the entire household is laid upon them,​
which they must bear with great hunger, thirst, cold as well as heat, above that often being scourged.​
Should they become aware of one trying to escape such misery and despair, the Turks will at one make use of all cruelty.​
Such as chains around the neck, or balls and chain around the feet, or burning the sciatic nerve to make them lame.​
Many, they cut their noses and ears off, that they be disfigured, and that they should be known as captives where-ever they would go.​
Or they burn them through the cheeks or brand their brow, and many even are beaten to death.​
All the above I Marx Eysenkern have wanted to put down in word and image (since I cannot forget what the poor wretches had to bear and suffer). Such gruesome acts should remind any pious Christian to have pity for those who are still captives of the Turks and have no comfort other than what hope they have in God's help. Therefore young and old should hold them in their thoughts and pray for them, to God Almighty that he might share with them his mercy and charity and deliver them from endless bondage Amen.​
Niclas Meldeman, at Nuremberg, by the long bridge.​

There's an obvious break ... the middle part, about the slave market, slave punishments etc. is basically a recounting from the Tractatus, surrounded by the Eysenkern testimony. A bit of background on the Tractatus in the attached PDF.

Attachments

• Fr.GeorgiusDeHungaria+Tractatus.pdf
    461.4 KB · Views: 91
This pamphlet from the 1530's actually in the middle part is based on a description from 'Tractatus de moribus, condicionibus et nequitia Turcorum' which was published in 1481 by an escaped Ottoman slave. So the reference to Mohacs (1526) in the pamphlet is actually updating an older account to the then-present.
After Mohacs, alike other victories, the Turks often killed hundreds or thousands of prisoners, leaving alive only those who were deemed worth a ransom. So, any prisoner put into slavery was 'lucky', to be left alive.

Quick, non-professional paraphrasing of the pamphlet text in English:

How the Turks trade with captive Christians, as in buying and selling them.​
I, Marx Eysenkern of Pada, have myself personally, under great pain, experienced the above depicted inhumane treatment and trade with captive Christians.​
In fact, for five years and three months, since the battle at Mohacs where King Louis of Hungary was slain, at this time being in my 26th year, I was led away captive, together with the others, bound and driven like cattle or hounds, which however in some ways had it better than we did.​
We were divided from each other, into many groups, some to the town, others to such fate as I describe.: Until I was bought and sold four times.​
But after such time and much miserable suffering I was delivered through the succor and mercy of God the Almighty whom I can for all my life not give enough praise and gratitude. Through this miraculous deliverance I could once more return to my home country which is indeed I see in many places bedeviled by the most wretched and pitiful pain, may God have mercy on these poor people.​
The how and what of the things that befell me in this time, would be a remarkable story of which I will not write at this point.​
In following this is the way captive Christians were held. The great merchants would receive freedom from the Turkish Emperor, because they give to him the tithe, in shape of the young boys, at 10, 12 and 15 years of age. The other captive Christians are sold, bought, pawned, or pledged as security, after the display of their prerogatives [?]. They also go to the encampments with their followers and buy from the soldiery. They bind and coffle them and drive them back all the way to their land.​
Once there, in every town there is a place dedicated to such captives,​
where the Turkish merchants can for hours inspect them with all their natural gifts and properties.​
Even mothers will be stripped naked, women, and one would also not spare a virgin.​
So they must jump and run in that place, so that any defect should be seen in public -​
whether it is a healthy or sick, crooked or lame one.​
And if there should be a bashful one, it will be forced to do so with rod and scourge.​
There is also no respect for rank, dignity, honor, or ability of any kind - the peasant counts as much as the nobleman, and so forth.​
If for instance a person is then sold into the house of some hopeless scoundrel,​
all work of the entire household is laid upon them,​
which they must bear with great hunger, thirst, cold as well as heat, above that often being scourged.​
Should they become aware of one trying to escape such misery and despair, the Turks will at one make use of all cruelty.​
Such as chains around the neck, or balls and chain around the feet, or burning the sciatic nerve to make them lame.​
Many, they cut their noses and ears off, that they be disfigured, and that they should be known as captives where-ever they would go.​
Or they burn them through the cheeks or brand their brow, and many even are beaten to death.​
All the above I Marx Eysenkern have wanted to put down in word and image (since I cannot forget what the poor wretches had to bear and suffer). Such gruesome acts should remind any pious Christian to have pity for those who are still captives of the Turks and have no comfort other than what hope they have in God's help. Therefore young and old should hold them in their thoughts and pray for them, to God Almighty that he might share with them his mercy and charity and deliver them from endless bondage Amen.​
Niclas Meldeman, at Nuremberg, by the long bridge.​

There's an obvious break ... the middle part, about the slave market, slave punishments etc. is basically a recounting from the Tractatus, surrounded by the Eysenkern testimony. A bit of background on the Tractatus in the attached PDF.
I am working on a series of images regarding this period “sold to Slavery by Barbary Pirates” and this is close to what I imagine, so far I have done about 30 images, great fun. :)

Unknown movie

movunknown100  (15).jpgmovunknown100  (18).jpgmovunknown100  (19).jpgmovunknown100  (20).jpgmovunknown100 (21).jpg

Some slaves in the world of Barbary Pirates...Damianartwork.com

Attachments

• concubine1188s.jpg
    concubine1188s.jpg
    839 KB · Views: 348
  • concubine1193.jpg
    concubine1193.jpg
    674.8 KB · Views: 329
The quintessential example of "Yellow Journalism," in the lead-up to the Spanish American War. Newspapers at the time screamed outrage, with headlines including, “Who Destroyed the Maine? $50,000 Reward,” “Spanish Treachery” and “Invasion!” The two newspaper barons of the US then, William Randolph Hearst and Joseph Pulitzer vied to sell the most papers with a drumbeat to war. A satire of their efforts from the time:
1617191799307.png
showed them dressed as the Yellow Kid (a popular cartoon character of the day). Hench the expression attached of "Yellow Journalism".
Their correspondents and editors were encouraged to submit and print the most outlandish stories to sell papers (the progenitor of the "Fake News" circulated today). That drawing was one of the best examples. I remember very well studying the War and coming across that image of the demure girl, naked among the evil Spaniards. I confess, that as a fourteen-year-old, I might have lingered on it for more than was necessary for historical education.:babeando: It supplied the basis for many fantasies in bed at night and help start the emotional journey that has brought me here. :very_hot:

Back
Top Bottom