Good Friday greetings to y'all

Go to CruxDreams.com
As someone who nearly became a Lutheran Pastor, I can answer that. (Yes, now I'm obsessed with crux too)

Christians look at the death and resurrection of Jesus as the ultimate good thing that was done for humans. We believe that sin separated us from God forever, and that since Jesus' death (and subsequent resurrection) was the thing that reconciled us to God, it is a good thing. Originally (before there were after-thanksgiving sales), the day was referred to as "Black Friday." Somewhere around the 8th century, the Christian church began calling it "Good Friday" because it was a "good" thing for humankind.

Here endeth the history lesson for today.
The "good" in Good Friday is a now obsolete use of the word to mean holy or pious. In most other languages, the day is refereed to with names that translate as Great Friday or Holy Friday.
The interpretation you offer, which is pretty much what I heard growing up in the Methodist religion, is a later interpretation by English speaking Protestants after the old use of "good" had passed from common use.
Until 1955, the Catholic name for the day was Feria sexta in Parasceve (Friday of Preparation). Today it is Feria sexta in Passione et Morte Domini ("Friday of the Passion and Death of the Lord"). In the Eastern Church it is called "Great and Holy Friday".

Back
Top Bottom