Great Pics Found By Phlebas And Other

Go to CruxDreams.com
View attachment 921009
I read the text below as :

"Who wants to have it good, must push back evil.
Who wants to live with God, must die inside.
Those who want to rest in peace with Christ.
Must free themselves of the cross of lust."

Curiuosly, the point is made using an erotic crux scene.
Thanks for the translation Loxoru!

This paper engraving was made around 1580 by Hendrik Goltzius and it is titled ““Man Must Kill His Desires.” It is in the collection of the Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen in Rotterdam, Netherland.

In the Museum Website, they say “Hendrik Goltzius (Brüggen 1558 - Haarlem 1617) was an engraver from Haarlem. In the beginning he mainly engraved works designed by other artists, but later also used his own designs. Together with Cornelisz. Van Haarlem and Carel van Mander, Goltzius in Haarlem worked in a mannered style. Between 1590 and 1591, Goltzius travelled through Italy, which would have a large influence on his work. He only started painting in 1600. From this time, his paintings and also his engravings slowly distanced themselves from the mannered twisted stances. Goltzius's engravings, whether of his own or other artists' designs, are numerous and of the highest quality.”

View attachment 921009

I'm interested in the other picture, which is the Martyrdom of Saint Blandina of Lyon by Emilio Magistretti (1851-1935), very nice picture.
Martyrdom of Saint Blandina of LyonEmilio Magistretti (1851-1935).jpg

Here's one by a more modern artist, Eric Armusik
the-martyrdom-of-saint-blandina-eric-armusik.jpg8637remgza121.jpg

It's good to see that the old martyrs have not been forgotten
ssrco,classic_tee,womens,e5d6c5_f62bbf65ee,front_alt,square_product,600x600.u1.jpg

View attachment 921009

Tricky thing, freeing oneself of the cross of lust. One wonders a bit what the point is of resting in peace with Christ. I suppose it's quite restful, being free of lust, but you know, I rather enjoy lust as well. :devil:

This paper engraving was made around 1580 by Hendrik Goltzius and it is titled ““Man Must Kill His Desires.” It is in the collection of the Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen in Rotterdam, Netherland.
This title catches it all.

Tricky thing, freeing oneself of the cross of lust. One wonders a bit what the point is of resting in peace with Christ. I suppose it's quite restful, being free of lust, but you know, I rather enjoy lust as well. :devil:
Killing desires and lust during your brief Earthy life, to enjoy eternal glory for your eternal soul, in Heaven, next to God!

Killing desires and lust during your brief Earthy life, to enjoy eternal glory for your eternal soul, in Heaven, next to God!
Okay, but I see no point in God creating a world full of pleasures and interests, and a state of being where one desires those things, only to make avoiding those desires and temptations a precondition to eternal happiness. I'm sure I could work up a theological argument, but it still always ends up in some sort of puritan nonsense where you have to live an austere and morbid life just to be happy after you die. It seems like a waste of perfectly good earthly pleasures.

Okay, but I see no point in God creating a world full of pleasures and interests, and a state of being where one desires those things, only to make avoiding those desires and temptations a precondition to eternal happiness. I'm sure I could work up a theological argument, but it still always ends up in some sort of puritan nonsense where you have to live an austere and morbid life just to be happy after you die. It seems like a waste of perfectly good earthly pleasures.
Neither do I see, the point, but it actually seems to be the whole point of many religions. That's what they were invented for! The theological argument, I have once been told by a philosophy professor, was to give a sense to death and suffering. Remember, there have not so long been times that patients suffering in terminal agony 'had to suffer', from a doctrine, that hence they were 'earning' a place next to God for their soul. Such was decreed by church and even brought into practice by medical staff, in Catholic hospitals. Attempts to ease the suffering (including euthanasia as the most prominent) were refused (of course, they were not so advanced as today in palliative care).
The other side of this doctrine is that joy and lust are 'bad' and have to be banned from one's miserable life.

Neither do I see, the point, but it actually seems to be the whole point of many religions. That's what they were invented for! The theological argument, I have once been told by a philosophy professor, was to give a sense to death and suffering. Remember, there have not so long been times that patients suffering in terminal agony 'had to suffer', from a doctrine, that hence they were 'earning' a place next to God for their soul. Such was decreed by church and even brought into practice by medical staff, in Catholic hospitals. Attempts to ease the suffering (including euthanasia as the most prominent) were refused (of course, they were not so advanced as today in palliative care).
The other side of this doctrine is that joy and lust are 'bad' and have to be banned from one's miserable life.

Wasn’t it Karl Marx who said “religion is the opiate of the masses”?

Wasn’t it Karl Marx who said “religion is the opiate of the masses”?
Well, not that I want to continue to derail phlebas' thread here (and if this continues, we will have to create a discussion thread and move posts), but I think "opiate of the masses" meant that it dulled them into acceptance of their lot in life. Religion, as Loxuru notes, has always been a key tool in social control, and the Roman Catholic obsession with suffering (noted by Loxuru) and the puritan obsession with austerity and self-denial both play to that creation of social order and control, especially of women. Poor Mary (the Virgin), in Catholic theology wasn't even allowed to have sex with Joseph after Jesus birth, but had to remain a "blessed virgin" forever in order to be pure in their eyes. I always wondered what was so blessed about being a virgin - all the trouble of childbirth, without any of the fun bits. In that way, we see that religion is usually not only about social control generally, but also obsessed with sexual regulation and control specifically. And since religion is supposed to come from God (or several gods, perhaps), you can't really question it - you are promised a better "afterlife" in return for denying yourself this one.
BUT REMEMBER KIDS, I DON'T PROMISE YOU HEAVEN. THERE IS NO JUSTICE OR REWARD SYSTEM I KNOW OF. THERE'S ONLY ME.
Death-067.jpg

Back
Top Bottom