Great Pics Found By Phlebas And Other

Go to CruxDreams.com
Looking up the context ...

the three colorful butterflies pasted on the crucifixa's otherwise plain white body are intended to represent the three murdered Mirabal sisters https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirabal_sisters who went by the name Las Mariposas --

"in their honor, the United Nations General Assembly designated 25 November the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women." -- for that date and occasion in 2012 this sculpture was supposed to be unveiled under the tagline No al femicidio (addressing the issue of rampant violence against women in Guatemala, the artist's homeland).

Unsurprisingly there was controversy, coming mostly from the Catholic side (with the charge of blaspheming Jesus) and a lesser number of feminist voices criticizing it for banalization.

In terms of making the sculpture, the artist says yes while she is a crucifixa, he actually consciously tried to avoid collision with the Jesus theme - no cross, no nails, and suspension from the middle of the arm instead of wrist/hand.

He says he collected more than 300 photographs of crucified women as documentation for developing the sculpture, I wonder if he was ever a member of cruxforums ;)

After the intense controversy over the sculpture, he got less restrained with his next life-size crux sculpture, that had nails added (though the crucifixae were still floating), and as part of that exhibit, he also showed most of the above mentioned crux art he had compiled, commenting "Las hay desde las muy espirituales, muy sensuales, muy sublimes y muy vulgares".

Looking up the context ...

the three colorful butterflies pasted on the crucifixa's otherwise plain white body are intended to represent the three murdered Mirabal sisters https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirabal_sisters who went by the name Las Mariposas --

"in their honor, the United Nations General Assembly designated 25 November the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women." -- for that date and occasion in 2012 this sculpture was supposed to be unveiled under the tagline No al femicidio (addressing the issue of rampant violence against women in Guatemala, the artist's homeland).

Unsurprisingly there was controversy, coming mostly from the Catholic side (with the charge of blaspheming Jesus) and a lesser number of feminist voices criticizing it for banalization.

In terms of making the sculpture, the artist says yes while she is a crucifixa, he actually consciously tried to avoid collision with the Jesus theme - no cross, no nails, and suspension from the middle of the arm instead of wrist/hand.

He says he collected more than 300 photographs of crucified women as documentation for developing the sculpture, I wonder if he was ever a member of cruxforums ;)

After the intense controversy over the sculpture, he got less restrained with his next life-size crux sculpture, that had nails added (though the crucifixae were still floating), and as part of that exhibit, he also showed most of the above mentioned crux art he had compiled, commenting "Las hay desde las muy espirituales, muy sensuales, muy sublimes y muy vulgares".
Were you able to discover the material used? For me the butterflies kind of ruin it (as a work of sculpture, I’m sure they are important to the “narrative”) :oops:

Were you able to discover the material used? For me the butterflies kind of ruin it (as a work of sculpture, I’m sure they are important to the “narrative”) :oops:
the butterflies were added later,
jor_0614.jpg

the material is plastic resin, and it's possible to get quick results that way with lifecasting.
dryad3.jpgdryad2.jpg

Actually I've found that this has all been discussed before, and @bobinder was able to identify at least some of the "many photographs of crucified women" that Gallardo must have looked at.
Since he obviously visited the crucifiedwomen.com site, it would be a surprise if he wasn't also on cruxforums at least temporarily ;)
By way of a footnote, in 2013 alongside the bas relief 'Crucificadas', Manolo Gallardo intended to exhibit more than 200 photographs which he had collected of crucified women, "in different artistic expressions, encompassing the very spiritual, very sensual, very sublime and very vulgar." I don't know if the exhibition went ahead as he planned, but he certainly interpreted the material in a wonderful way. Might this explain why some of his crucified fairies resemble Katrina from 'Crucified Women'?

May be he put a real one inside it :p
You are not entirely wrong. My understanding is that this is done by livecasting, in which the live model is posed and covered in resin. This forms closely to the body and when it dries can be cut off and results in a cast that can be filled with bronze, plaster, or whatever you are using to sculpt the final artwork. So in a way, there was a real girl inside this. ;)

You are not entirely wrong. My understanding is that this is done by livecasting, in which the live model is posed and covered in resin. This forms closely to the body and when it dries can be cut off and results in a cast that can be filled with bronze, plaster, or whatever you are using to sculpt the final artwork. So in a way, there was a real girl inside this. ;)
The sculpture in question does seem slightly larger than life though...

the butterflies were added later,
View attachment 950336

the material is plastic resin, and it's possible to get quick results that way with lifecasting.
View attachment 950337View attachment 950338

Actually I've found that this has all been discussed before, and @bobinder was able to identify at least some of the "many photographs of crucified women" that Gallardo must have looked at.
Since he obviously visited the crucifiedwomen.com site, it would be a surprise if he wasn't also on cruxforums at least temporarily ;)

He's one of us, look at him in that first photo. Looking up in wonder, hand resting on the side of the naked crucified woman . . . . . I wonder if he's here now :)
jor_0614.jpg

I should have realised that it had been posted before, but worth a revisit to draw out more interesting facts :)

He created a sculpture of three sisters crucified, but it doesn't pass the rules of the forum. I think it was intended to be las mariposas, but I'm struggling to find a reference to it, or a decent copy in my archive, and the ages were clearly out. This is an edited version, at least one butterfly is visible
gallardom.jpg

So to create a sculpture of a crucified girl, he took a crucified girl and slathered her with resin? Where do I send my CV?

I'm struggling to find a reference to it
that one was inspired by actual killings in Guatemala that happened in January 2013 while the one linked before, for the 25 November commemoration, was more "in general". The under age figures in the second piece, the bas-relief, are intended to reflect the age of the victims.

I wonder if he's here now
if he 'researched crucified women online' in 2012 it's hard to imagine that he would not have found cruxforums. But that doesn't mean he became a regular. He did have a website of his own but that has fallen into disrepair.

Piccies...

Attachments

• ddt56ic-2759d6a6-8cbf-41ce-ae95-00adf4d5659f.jpg
    ddt56ic-2759d6a6-8cbf-41ce-ae95-00adf4d5659f.jpg
    424 KB · Views: 470
  • de6l0ox-3a45a533-c3da-4f87-be88-fb362c23a22c.jpg
    de6l0ox-3a45a533-c3da-4f87-be88-fb362c23a22c.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 476
  • return_from_cruxwinds_by_loum_rote_de22rct.jpg
    return_from_cruxwinds_by_loum_rote_de22rct.jpg
    1,021.9 KB · Views: 468
  • d1aenfn-1bb1ed3f-b0d1-43ce-953d-7ded3702d189.jpg
    d1aenfn-1bb1ed3f-b0d1-43ce-953d-7ded3702d189.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 454
  • siege_human_shields_by_noone102000_dadtchk-fullview.jpg
    siege_human_shields_by_noone102000_dadtchk-fullview.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 497
  • at_the_whipping_post_by_lesleyo_dd9iux3-fullview.jpg
    at_the_whipping_post_by_lesleyo_dd9iux3-fullview.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 484
  • commissions___pirate_slave_galley_3_by_docredfield_d823guo-fullview.jpg
    commissions___pirate_slave_galley_3_by_docredfield_d823guo-fullview.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 530
  • genesis_war_by_loum_rote_dd12ojg-fullview.jpg
    genesis_war_by_loum_rote_dd12ojg-fullview.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 563
I hope this is acceptable....??
But I thought it would be nice to remind ourselves, of what a brilliant artist @maicoldraw was...
Sadly he lost a lot of his works,when Deviant Art deleted his account...But I managed to retain some of it....without further ado,here's the first part. ("Dhelia's Crucifixion")...
b5_by_maicoldraw_ddn7zug-fullview.jpgb3_by_maicoldraw_ddn7zo1-fullview.jpg20191227_190616.pngb6_by_maicoldraw_ddn7zuu-fullview.jpgb8.pngb7.pngb10.pngb11.png

Back
Top Bottom