Hanged for Shoplifting, Being a True History of Mary Jones’ Sad Life and Death

Go to CruxDreams.com
Fortunately, there is a lot more to Britain than just London, so don`t be discouraged.

And to be fair there is a lot to enjoy in normal times about modern London and while you have to look harder a lot of historical London is still there. That said if you like history the whole Island of Great Britain is steeped in it and a lot of local historians are very on top of their subjects.

It is now my dream to earn money to travel to England, to visit all those spots with fond memories.
The beauty of the old city is steadily being destroyed, no matter how hard you look
while you have to look harder a lot of historical London is still there.
A totally unplanned coincidence. Today's chapter mentions four landmarks that can still be seen. Two churches, a Cathedral and a pump.

Homeless

Brokenhearted, Mary turned her back on the rapidly disappearing warship and began trudging her way back toward Whitechapel. Her darling, Billy, was gone – for who knew how long. Mary loved him so much! She had missed him dearly for the last three weeks.

There was so much bad news to be processed. The 45-minute walk back to her humble flat was a time of confusion and panic. Mary’s head spun with the sudden change of her whole world and the consequences crowding around her. When she got home, she sat and cried as her son crawled around innocently unconcerned.

Mary realized that she had no income, no family, almost no possessions, and no prospects. The little money William had left her with, had dwindled to just a couple of shillings. How would she afford food to keep them alive? Even more pressing was the rent. The landlord was due tomorrow and she’d promised him the whole rent. He’d seemed nice, but he’d forcefully warned her that not having the money would mean “funds be here by then, else you’ll be gone or I’s have you locked up!”

Hysterically sobbing for almost two hours, Mary racked her brain for an answer. She had no family or anyone who could loan so much. Her meager possessions, even if sold by the morrow, would not bring a quarter the rent. Jail – Debtor’s prison! What would become of her son and her unborn child?

At length, Mary began to pull herself together. Somehow, the seventeen-year-old found the strength to face her almost hopeless predicament. She had to find a way to live for her son and her unborn babe! She couldn’t stay in the flat, that was clear. It is to Mary’s credit that, in a city, where, as many as one-in-five young women were involved in the sex-trade, that the thought of selling her body never entered her mind.

Then she thought of her childhood friend, Ann Styles who lived in the City of London proper. Perhaps she’d allow Mary there for a few nights as she tried to put her life back together? She just knew she couldn’t live on the street in Whitechapel with her son and future baby!

So, early next morning, March 9th, avoiding any embarrassing meeting with her former neighbors or the landlord, Mary packed all she could carry, indeed almost all she had, in a large sack and, holding it over her shoulder in one hand and her son walking along holding the other, set out for London town. Fortunately, the day was clear and cool for Mary had an arduous day’s journey ahead of her.

Mary headed north up Red Lion Street to White Chapel Street and then went west. At mid-morning, tired and hungry, she came to the old city wall, the Aldgate well and the remains of the old city gate (demolished eleven years earlier) As Mary passed through the old city entrance, she would not have known that four hundred years earlier, Geoffrey Chaucer was occupying apartments above the gate, writing some of his poems. Mary’s thoughts that day were far from ribald verse.

She continued on Aldgate High Street which came to a fork at Leaden Hall Street and Fenchurch Street. It was a long, slow, agonizing march for the young pregnant girl leading a small boy who needed frequent carrying. She stopped a few times to rest, but feared that if she lingered long, she might be taken for a vagrant, which was a crime. With no home or money, she could be found guilty of that crime of misfortune, which carried a punishment of branding!

She took the right fork on Leaden Hall and passed the church of St. Katherine Cree (1630) on her right about noon. A bit later she rested to admire the late English Gothic church, St. Andrew Undershaft (1532). Miraculously, both of these churches had survived the Great Fire and would also ride out the Blitz to remain today. (sadly though, one of London's few surviving large stained-glass windows from St. Andrews, installed in the 17th century, was destroyed in the Baltic Exchange bombing in 1992).

Crossing Bishopsgate Street, where Leaden Hall turned into Cornhill, Mary was halfway to her destination. She was sweating now in the midday warmth and her legs and feet ached! Soon Cornhill merged with Threadneedle Street and Lombard Street, to become Poultry. Some ways on, Poultry became the broad thoroughfare, Cheapside. The midday traffic was busy and Mary had to struggle to get through with a toddler in tow. As she trudged wearily down, she saw first a great dome appear ahead, then towers, then coming out into the great square, the imposing beauty of St. Paul’s Cathedral. A sight she had never seen in her short life, the prospect of Christopher Wren’s magnum opus, awed Mary.

On the south side of the churchyard, Mary found a small grassy mound to take a chance sitting and resting. She gave Jean a some of the bread she’d brought, but could only spare a half bite for herself. She gazed for a long time at the great Cathedral, praying for God’s help in her time of need. Getting up to go, she noted a neat little printer’s shop on the edge of the churchyard with a sign, #69 Bowles & Carver.

Soon she was back on her sore feet, pressing on south across Great Carter Lane and Knightsbridge Street as the sun began to set.

As night started to fall and the day was a-getting dark, she saw the side sign for Angel Alley, where Ann lived. She turned down the narrow lane between tall, dirty tenements and knocked on #12. In a moment, the door was opened by a plain, but-friendly faced girl with dark tresses.

“As I live and breathe! It’s Mary Lefroy,” she cried out. “But it be Jones now, ain’t it. Ye be married these past couple of years. And this be your boy? And I see you’ve got another on the way. Land sakes, your’an a sight to see. But what brings ye to Ann Styles door this dark evening. Wait, that ain’t most polite, come in, come in, ye look all tuckered out.”

Mary burst into tears of exhaustion and almost collapsed into Ann’s arms. Her friend helped her in, took her heavy sack and placed her on some pillows in a corner, there seeming to be no furniture but a small bench in the tiny, barely lit room.

“Oh, Ann, I’m in trouble deep! I needs your help, I do! Without help I’m lost! Lost!”

“There, there Mary. Your old friend Ann will help ye. Calm yourself and grab a breath. I’ll brew a spot o’ tea and then hear your story. Trouble ain’t ever half so bad when shared wit a friend.”

Ten minutes later, Mary had recovered a little and Ann gave her a chipped cup with thin tea, which she drank greedily. She poured out her tale of misfortune while holding her son like a favorite teddy bear.

“Whew,” said Ann when Mary finished. “You’ve had a bundle of misfortune here haven’t ye. Just you rest and we can talk out what’s to be done.”

St. Katherine Cree
St_katherine_cree_exterior.jpg1887px-St_Katharine_Cree_Church_Interior_1,_London,_UK_-_Diliff.jpg
St. Andrew Undershaft
Church_of_St_Andrew_Undershaft_20130324_012.jpgThis name was derived from the traditional maypole across the street. The custom continued each spring until 1517, when student riots put an end to it, but the maypole itself survived until 1547 when it was seized by a mob and destroyed as a "pagan idol"
St. Pauls' Cathedral, by Christopher Wren (“Si monumentum requiris circumspect.")
Mary's view as she rested in the southeast churchyard.
st-pauls-cathedral-st-pauls-cathedral-aee0a2dbd5fdba394bc84c3ba7809988.jpg

Sadly, modern London is now all sheet-glass office blocks and canyons where the wind is funneled. The beauty of the old city is steadily being destroyed, no matter how hard you look. Better to read beautifully historically accurate stories, like PrPr's work....
There is still the odd treasure, like the Staple Inn in High Holborn:

Staple Inn.jpg

There is still the odd treasure, like the Staple Inn in High Holborn:

View attachment 856383
I wish people would stop reading ahead!:mad: Staple will be mentioned later in the story!:confused: How the hell can I maintain suspense if these leaks of plot keep occurring!:facepalm:

Seriously, despite the above, thanks for pointing out that fine building.:clapping: I should point out that I'm a Yank, have only been to London once for a week, and seen very few of the buildings I've researched.

I wish people would stop reading ahead!:mad: Staple will be mentioned later in the story!:confused: How the hell can I maintain suspense if these leaks of plot keep occurring!:facepalm:

Seriously, despite the above, thanks for pointing out that fine building.:clapping: I should point out that I'm a Yank, have only been to London once for a week, and seen very few of the buildings I've researched.
Sorry.. :oops:

Contrary to some rumours, I don't know every pub in London... ;)

Sorry.. :oops:

Contrary to some rumours, I don't know every pub in London... ;)
Only the ones with basement dungeons?

I could have pointed out that Mary passed the Hoop and Grapes on Aldgate High Street (a public house much frequented by you), but Mary was not one to imbibe any liquor nor dare to enter a public house.

Last edited:
Only the ones with basement dungeons?

I could have pointed out that Mary passed the Hoop and Grapes on Aldgate High Street (a public house much frequented by you), but Mary was not one to imbibe any liquor nor dare to enter a public house.
Caught me! :eek:

That is a fine pub, if anyone's ever in Aldgate and the pubs are actually, well, open. :(

And to be fair there is a lot to enjoy in normal times about modern London and while you have to look harder a lot of historical London is still there. That said if you like history the whole Island of Great Britain is steeped in it and a lot of local historians are very on top of their subjects.
Despite my obvious Anglophile leanings, I would also tout the natural beauties of the USA, such as the Grand Tetons:
grand-teton-1728535_1920.jpg
A very cruxforums place to visit - Early French voyageurs named the range les trois tétons ("the three nipples"). Those voyageurs had been away from women far too long!

St. Katherine Cree
View attachment 856357View attachment 856358
St. Andrew Undershaft
View attachment 856359This name was derived from the traditional maypole across the street. The custom continued each spring until 1517, when student riots put an end to it, but the maypole itself survived until 1547 when it was seized by a mob and destroyed as a "pagan idol"
St. Pauls' Cathedral, by Christopher Wren (“Si monumentum requiris circumspect.")
Mary's view as she rested in the southeast churchyard.
View attachment 856360

Those are gloriously beautiful pieces of architecture. You are no doubt encouraging me to go there. I was in Spain for one summer and I enjoyed Churches there as well.

Somewhere to Lay her Head

“I’s not so fine off meself,” said Ann. “My husband, he went off and left me these two months. E's got a mate from Kent. Gonna earn money in the chalk mines, says he. Ain’t heard nought of him since. Most likely spending his money at the local pub and wenching!”

“That’s so awful, Ann. How do ye gets by?”

“Tain’t easy, Lord’s my witness! Leastways got no kid to care for and feed. But me rent alone here is a crown a month.”

Mary looked around the cramped, dirty, dark cold room and thought the rent dear.

Ann continued, “I do some sewing for the shops on Thames Street, which helps a lot. I still need to do the occasional roll with one of the local lads to gets me gets me an extra half-crown.”

Mary blushed, though, in the darkened room, Ann probably didn’t see it. “Ann, you don’t really sell yourself for…for?” She was embarrassed to finish the rude thought concerning her old friend.

“Tsk, tsk. Weren’t ye always the good girl, Mary.” Said Ann laughing. “It’s not I’m a hedge whore for anyone on the street, though many ‘round here make their living that way. No, I just’s play with a few lads I fancy and they make me presents. Nought but good fun.”

“Oh, I see,” said Mary, not really seeing. But Ann had been her friend growing up and she didn’t couldn’t think ill of her.

“Not likely a line of work for you these days, girl, with that belly on you. How farin’ you gone?”

“O’er seven months, I reckon. I lost my last one and am praying every day to the Lord to save this ‘un.”

“So you be layin’ in any day now. Well, Ann Styles sure takes care of a friend in need. You can stay here till the babe’s born. There scant enough food already, but you're welcome to a share. No way for ye to work until after. But ye can help with some begging down on Thames Street. Some of the toffs take pity on a young woman with a belly. Mind you, some might even give you a tanner to rub it like. No harm be there, be not?”

“I guess not,” said Mary.

“Time for some rest now,” said Ann. “I sleeps in that closet there’n. Nice and cozy. You and your boy curl up on those things in the corner. Cheerup, girl. Things always look better in the morning.”

Notes:
Tanner – six pence - $5 in 2020
Half a crown – 2 ½ shillings - $25 in 2020
Crown – five shillings about $50 on 2020

A clarification of the historical accuracy. For the five months after Mary moved in with Ann until an event in August, we have no detailed record of her life except the birthdate of her child. From her later description of what her life was like in this period, I have filled in a story. Most of the details are, naturally, invented. However, I have tried to present as likely a course of events as possible. Nothing of substance is misrepresented, I hope.

The days of "proper money", not this boring 100 little ones in a big one.
In the sixties, in basic school, our teachers have reminded us more than once, how lucky kids we were, for not growing up in the UK, because :
One! In the UK, caning pupils was still legal at school.
Two! Measures and money in the UK did not use the metric system, of 10 little ones in a bigger one. And since we already screwed up learning that simple metric system in class, they expressed their wondering how we would ever had survived if we had to learn the British system.

As kids, we used to sing, "Rule Rule Fat Anna, two tanners make a bob,Three make eighteen pence, and four two bob,to the tune "Rule Britannia"
The days of "proper money", not this boring 100 little ones in a big one.
In the sixties, in basic school, our teachers have reminded us more than once, how lucky kids we were, for not growing up in the UK, because :
Two! Measures and money in the UK did not use the metric system, of 10 little ones in a bigger one. And since we already screwed up learning that simple metric system in class, they expressed their wondering how we would ever had survived if we had to learn the British system.
"A Pound's a Pound, the World Around"

"I love you a bushel and a peck
A bushel and a peck and a hug around the neck
A hug around the neck and a barrel and a heap
A barrel and a heap and I'm talkin' in my sleep"

Four spans to the yard
A cloth-yard = 37 inches
A furlong = 10 chains = 1/8 mile
6 Feet = a fathom = 1/15 shackle
3 barleycorns = 1 inch

All very simple!

To make it even easier, a diagram even a German will understand:
length.gif

At one stage in the 1970s, we had to change the size of our shilling because Germans were collecting so many of them to use in slot machines to buy cigarettes, chocolate etc. Apparently they were the same size as a German coin of much higher value.

New Life

As exhausted as Mary and Jean were, they fell asleep quickly and didn’t stir until the dim light of morning came through the one small grimy window.

Sleep and morning did make things seem slightly less hopeless. A modest breakfast of some stale bread, spread with lard and washed down with Ann’s thin tea, was a welcome repast for the hungry little family.

After breakfast, Ann got to her sewing and offered to watch Jean while Mary had a chance to explore her new neighborhood. Stepping outside, Mary was struck at how dark the tenement alley was, even in daylight. Narrow and dirty, it wound north from Thames Street. Mary followed it north to Knightsbridge Street and on to Great Carter Lane and beyond again saw the imposing edifice of St. Paul’s Cathedral’s dome and twin spires.

Turning back south, she went down Peter’s Hill past the imposing Heralds' Office (founded in 1484 by Richard III) and eventually found her way to Thames Street, a rather prosperous thoroughfare with much traffic and many shops. One look at a price in a window taught Mary that she wouldn’t be shopping there.

To her surprise, two well-dressed young men came up to her and asked if they could rub her belly, “for luck.” Mary blushed deeply and demurred. This just encouraged the fops further as they asked would she take a “gratuity” for it. Recalling what Ann had said, Mary shyly asked, “A sixpence, Sirs?” The two instantly gave her three pennies each and proceeded to rub all over her round belly, gently, but very sensuously. After a while they thanked her and walked off, laughing.

Mary had begun her new occupation of making money in the streets.

Elated at her good fortune, Mary daringly stopped in a pub and purchased two suppers of bread, cheese, and beer for Ann and her for five-pence. She proudly took her contribution to the flat and told Ann what had happened and gave her the extra penny.

“Lord, yer the big spender, ain’tcha,” said Ann. “next time girl, bring all the copper back and we’ll pool for food and rent and such.”

“Yah, I knows,” replied Mary with a smile, cuddling with Jean. “Just this once’t I wanted a celebration and to thank my friend for taking us in.”

Ann hugged her and they sat down to eat the generous meal.

So, Mary’s life fell into a new pattern. She went out in the morning to the high street to try to get money. Ann warned her against begging which would brand her as a vagrant. Since she was not disabled (pregnancy wasn’t a disability like being lame or not having use of an arm), if she openly begged, she might be arrested as able-bodied poor to be sent to a workhouse or worse, judged idle poor or vagrant and sent to a house of correction. In either case she would be separated from Jean. It was a culture in which gender, age, and disability played crucial roles in the creation of a compelling case for relief. It was a culture in which location, accent, and time of year could determine whether a few pence were doled out, or the heavy hand of the law used to take up the supplicant as a vagrant to receive the brand “V”.

So, Mary learned to do the subtle dance of a beggar, looking downtrodden and hurt, giving passersby pitiful looks asking for mercy. She soon learned that the gentility who were her target, operated under similar, equally complex rules of engagement. For the bewigged and tutored, leisure, and fashion-conscious denizens of eighteenth-century London, the calls of pity had to be answered with just the right combination of sympathy and disdain, just the right flourish of lace and charity.

Unfortunately for our girl, her state of advanced pregnancy was not an inducement to charity on the part of many. A woman, alone on the street and with child was presumed a prostitute and whose fecundity was regarded by many as counterproductive for society.

Many days she came home, footsore and bedraggled with only a couple of farthings to show for her efforts. Other days, generous gentry might give her a total of a crown, or strange men might give a tanner to rub her belly. Several then offered more to rub other parts, but Mary always refused.

Though Ann was good to her, Mary clearly understood that she wasn’t keeping up her share of the costs. On those days when her takings were lowest, she’d supplement her meager haul with a few pence from the tiny savings she had brought with her. As March moved into April and then to May, she watched with trepidation this small hoard dwindling close to vanishing.

By the end of May, Mary couldn’t go beg anymore. She had to lie down most of the days, her legs swollen and her back aching. Late on June 6th, she went into labor.

Her delivery progressed slowly and her water only flowed late on the 7th. Ann was kind, but knew little to be of help.

At last, early on the morning of Saturday, June 9th, 1771, seventeen-year-old Mary Jones delivered a baby girl, remarkably healthy. She named her Abigail after Mary’s aunt. Her father had told her that the name meant “my father's joy.” She prayed that William would be home soon and find joy in his new daughter.

Farthing – one-fourth of a penny (original name “fourthing”)

For those looking for Ann’s neighborhood today, most is gone, first plowed under when Queen Victoria street was added as a continuation of Threadneedle street to cut through the neighborhood and later due to the blitz and urban renewal. Thames Street is mostly underground. Though the Herald’s Office, now called the College of Arms, remains, rather much altered with time.

A Dreadful Longing

For a couple of weeks after Abby was born, Mary rested at the flat and took care of her children. Two days after giving birth, Mary felt her milk coming and began nursing Abby. She was surprised at how much her breasts swelled and how full her milk supply was. Since puberty, Mary had always had large breasts for her thin frame, but now they seemed enormous. Ann kidded her about her “Apple-Dumpling Shop.”

After that couple of weeks, Mark’s feeling of guilt became overwhelming. Ann was working day and night to earn money to support the added in the flat. In addition to extra sewing, she seemed to be out every evening “playing” with her boyfriends. Mary knew she had to help.

On a Monday, when Abby was 16 days old, Mary took her babe in her arms and went out to beg. Now, the presence of a baby seemed slightly less offending to the morality of the passers-by. But her yield from simple charity was no more than a few pence most days with sometimes as much as a shilling and often nothing. It was better than nothing, but not enough to keep up her part of the expenses.

Needless to say, there were no offers to rub her belly for a tanner, but there was a lot of interest of the men in her large bosom. Many asked to rub them, but Mary steadfastly refused

By the end of June, Mary was becoming desperate. Ann had been incredibly patient, but she was now frequently mentioning that strain on her to support this “family I ne’er asked for.” And another concern was weighing heavily on Mary’s mind. On the 2nd of July she snuck a look at her little savings, wrapped up in a kerchief. 6 pence! She had to make more money!

The next morning, on Thames street when a handsome older gentleman politely asked if he could rub her bosom, “for luck,” Mary said “Yes Sir, for a tanner?” He gently stroked the large orbs for a moment and then gave her eightpence. Mary had, at the last limit of necessity, allowed herself to be touched sexually. She blushed deeply and thanked the gentleman, and then almost vomited.

Still reluctant to prostitute herself, Mary only occasionally acquiesced to the requests, and then only from gentle looking men and, to her surprise, a few nicely dressed women. The extra income caused Ann to complain less, though Mary still knew they were an unwelcome burden on her friend. With all the money she received, going to Ann, Mary also made no progress to relieve the really big worry on her mind.

On July 12th, Mary looked again at her tiny hoard, now 11 pence (she had snuck a penny or two in while feeling very guilt for Ann). She then looked at her two-month-old and gave a sob. She decided she could delay no longer.

The next day, Mary dressed with her stays loosened and her big breasts more prominent. She smiled fetchingly at all men, not just the good looking. When a man asked her about rubbing her breasts, she replied “a tanner for a rub, a tanner and three to rub the nips!”

Mary’s income rose, though not greatly. When men could mount a whore for anywhere from four Bob to Five Quid for a top model like Kitty Fisher, almost a shilling for touching some big tits was not an attractive offer. By early August, Mary had only collected a total of 26 pence in her hoard. That evening she broke down and told Ann of the fear that was gnawing at her heart.

Bob – a shilling, twelve pence.

Quid – A pound, 20 shillings

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom