Help The Forum

Go to CruxDreams.com
Sorry. I'd forgotten how backward the UK (and especially Yorkshire) is. Incredibly enough, many of us don't use phones on a cord to a wall fixture with a rotary dial! In fact, there is a cool new invention called a headset!
View attachment 1017621
If you have any friends who were in the RAF in the Sixties, they would know what I mean.
O brave new world, that hath such newfangled thingumajigs in it! :confused:

I’ve previously suggested selling a few of our cruxettes into slavery to raise some cash.. but here’s my other fund-raising idea:
https://www.cruxforums.com/xf/threads/drawings-by-montycrusto.7143/post-422095

All kidding aside, I like PrPr's idea of raising enough for 6 months at a clip. It provides a measure of security and a sense of stability. I hope the mods will listen seriously to all suggestions and not simply say everything is fine here. This site has many great features, but, like all of us, is not perfect and can be improved.

Another idea I didn't mention was a Phonathon with Barbara, Kathy, Eulalia, Messalina, Fat Slave Girl, Jackie, Messalina, and others manning (womaning?) the lines, and offering phone sado/sex for particularly generous contributions!

"Thanks so much for your generous donation. How may I suffer for you?"

Attachments

• bikini girl on phone.jpg
    bikini girl on phone.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 23
Well, after the loss of deviantart and cruxfoundation, this really is the last refuge. I have a small pocket of crux content on my discord, and a gallery on pixiv, but this is my home base, I’d be devastated to lose it. Many of the proposed solutions are good, and some of them I wouldn’t mind seeing.

Maybe we could make a church? :p A crux-church with crucified women every Sunday. Only need 10% of your money, thank you.

I would love for cf to remain free, but I’d also love to bankroll the whole damn place, if only I was a millionaire.

As for serious solutions, well, there are many artists and writers here. That takes time, skill, and work. Right now, with the exception of a few artists, they are not charging anything. But they do receive an audience from this site. I wouldn’t be opposed to seeing cf-sponsoring paid works from some of our fantastic artists, where they can use the platform to help to the platform stay afloat.

Tomorrow I'm going to post a sticky thread in Announcements. "Your Forum Needs You". And then explain how people need to donate to keep the Forum and our community alive. I'll post several options....
A. I already donate.
B. I pledge to donate monthly.
C. I pledge to donate twice a year.
D. I pledge to donate yearly.
E. Please state any other.

Obviously they need not state how much. If they make a one off largish donation they could indicate whether they would like to be (screen) named as donor of the day. Got to stop now. Going to watch Montalbano on iPlayer....

Last edited by a moderator:
Such a fundraiser would need to be widespread to be successful. Discussion on this one thread probably only connects with a tiny share of the members. If all those committed to CF would highlight the fundraiser on their own threads and postings and provide the link here for more information, it would capture far more eyes.
Taking my own advice, I posted this

Thank you all so much for the kind comments. Remember, if you enjoy reading this kind of stuff, consider contributing to the upkeep of the forum. While we have covered this month's bill, next month is just around the corner. Without support, the site could go dark. :eek: :facepalm: :doh:

Visit
https://www.cruxforums.com/xf/threads/help-the-forum.4956/page-18#post-612457

in the story thread Goth Girl which just finished. It's only one drop, but if more do so, it will spread the word.

I feel that well-intentioned messages in the signatures (even my elegant Latin) are losing effectiveness.

I'm new here, but I do want ad my $.02. I have no problem donating to keep the site running, other than dealing with paypal. I will deal with them if I have to, but hopefully another way can be found in addition to them. If you decide on a subscription fee, make every 3 or 6 months, might make it easier for folks on a budget, and Admin won't have to deal with it every month. Personally the subscription setup & amount doesn't matter to me, and I agree that those of us who can should chip in a little extra to help those who can't.
I understand the importance of this community as well as anyone. I'm a member of another forum that some here are familiar with. Back in March '20, it went down in a ransomware attack. They worked hard to get it back up, keep it running. So I know what losing this site would mean to most everyone here. There's no reason we can't prevent that.

I have been struggling with some demanding issues in RL and have not been very present on CF for the last couple of days. I have, however, followed this thread with much interest.

I am a much more junior member than most who have posted on this topic. But it is hard for me to overstate how devasted I would be if CF shut down. Naturally, I would miss the venue to post my repetitious and pedantic scribbling. However, it would be losing the friends I've made here that would be heartbreaking. Divorced and living alone, the daily interplay with friendly, (mostly) intelligent, and caring people who don't judge me for my kinks is crucial to my mental health. (Yes, I know that sounds pitiful that I rely so much on an internet kink sight – but that's my life). I began regular contributions around the first of the year and have steadily increased them to about the max I can afford (retired, on a fragile, fixed income, and most reserves and assets lost in my divorce).

It has become scary to face more and more common cliffhangers on funding. I have been an enthusiastic listener to US public radio for more than forty years, and therefore, I am now an expert in hearing all kinds of non-profit fundraising appeals. While being a relative newcomer here, I would like to make some observations.

Monthly fundraising and appeals are doomed to failure. The near-constant drumbeat will quickly lose its effect. Most non-profits hold semi-annual fundraisers, with a high goal to fund the next six months. Within that, there are two options, giving a significant gift twice a year or pledging (to one's self) to make a regular monthly gift. I believe that we need to go this route. If we can do just one good drive, we can take a break and not be constantly dunning for money.

Such a fundraiser would need to be widespread to be successful. Discussion on this one thread probably only connects with a tiny share of the members. If all those committed to CF would highlight the fundraiser on their own threads and postings and provide the link here for more information, it would capture far more eyes.
Within said fundraising, there are several interesting options. One I recently encountered is "Day Sponsor." For a large gift (say $200), the screen name of the Donor is highlighted on the Forum as the Day Sponsor.
Another technique is to break down the amounts into daily values. If the average active member visits CF 25 or more times a month and stays for at least an hour, a gift of $150 for six months would represent just $1 per hour for the entertainment and enjoyment provided. An excellent value compared to many pay sights.
I feel exactly then same as PrPr. An even more Junior member than he is (Sept 2019), I have only begun contributing financially over the past few months ... I guess it took me a while to realise the serious need we have in order to keep CF running. This forum is an excellent place to dwell. I come in every day and love the fact that what I create as a part of my fantasies seems to be what people here like too. I would be greatly saddened if we lost CF and so would for sure be 'up for' a more certain method of contributory funding ...

I'm assuming that ImageMaker is CFO. So I will ask you my basic questions. I have some experience designing funding campaigns and might be able to help out. What are the monthly actual costs of keeping CFs up and running? Is there any paid staff or is administration a "labor of love" for those listed? Are there special projects (like improving achival access) that will need targeted funding? Are members (those with continuing subscriptions) entitled to any special benefits not available to those who simply donate from time to time, or those who use the site without contributing? If you are just barely raising your expenses each month how many subscribers are there and what is the size of an average contribution? I realize that this site has a long history and that you have probably tried all manner of fundraising activities. If my questions are intrusive, please forgive... Just trying to help.

CF is not a commercial project.
Therefore, in our case, he does not obey the generally accepted rules in the financial world.
I know what I'm talking about - I teach economics and finance in college.
Our financing is much simpler.
We know the approximate amount that is required on a monthly basis.
We find out the exact amount when we receive an invoice for payment.
All moderators work without payment.
We only need to pay the invoice of the hosting company and sometimes I hire paid programmers.
Therefore, I announce a fundraiser at the end of each month and as soon as our wallet is full enough to pay the bill, I stop collecting money.
If there is not enough money, I pay this amount from my own funds.
If there is more money than is required before payment this month, the balance goes to the next month.
It's very simple and it works.

Thanks for the clear response. If the system you describe works for you it does not need revision. I have read many posts that express a fear of the imminent collapse and disappearance of a cherished institution. I'm glad to hear that your generous patronage underwrites the endeavor. Nevertheless, looking into the future, this support mechanism seems precarious to the many users who depend upon CFs. An alternative funding model need not be "commercial" considering the good will and willingness to contribute expressed by many of the users. Operating month-to-month must be suspenseful for everyone concerned. It must also make planning for improvements and growth almost impossible. Perhaps none of this makes a difference since CFs is not a cooperative effort, but one person's generous offering to many like minded users.

And I think you told us what's needed monthly is typically about $200?
My understanding is that it’s closer to $350.

I think IM is saying that he is satisfied with the current system, and would rather not make changes unless necessary.

To date members have stepped up and contributed generously and it’s been enough, and hopefully the current discussion will help keep the donations coming in each month.

My understanding is that it’s closer to $350.

I think IM is saying that he is satisfied with the current system, and would rather not make changes unless necessary.

To date members have stepped up and contributed generously and it’s been enough, and hopefully the current discussion will help keep the donations coming in each month.
Barbaria's figure is more accurate. So far we have 20 Friends of the Forum. Please take the pledge by starting HERE

Back
Top Bottom