Help The Forum

Go to CruxDreams.com
I did know that you sometimes used your own funds. I also thought that this was a (probably not so effective) way to encourage people to sign on to your pay site. I am certainly happy to contribute. It does worry me that you have a background in finance, though. For God's sake don't issue any junk bonds, and hang up if any of these "private equity" clowns call with an offer. Many thanks for all that you do.

I checked it out. Patreon takes a lot of information, Name, Address, Zip. Then you pay with PayPal or by credit card. The one advantage is that you sign up to be regularly charged every month - good for CF, but no advantage to those who will donate every month anyway.
Since I already pay by PayPal, I would have no advantage doing it this way. Except if I used my credit card, which I assume would avoid PayPal fees. However, I am not sure how many want to give all the information as well as their CC account.

It might be an option for some. Include it on the donate page as an option, but not for me.

Here you can check how it works.
If everything goes well, we can post a link on the main page for donations:

It does appear fairly easy to set up and the charges do seem reasonable but what exclusive content could you provide to patrons that isn't already here on CruxForums?

I checked it out. Patreon takes a lot of information, Name, Address, Zip. Then you pay with PayPal or by credit card. The one advantage is that you sign up to be regularly charged every month - good for CF, but no advantage to those who will donate every month anyway.
Since I already pay by PayPal, I would have no advantage doing it this way. Except if I used my credit card, which I assume would avoid PayPal fees. However, I am not sure how many want to give all the information as well as their CC account.

It might be an option for some. Include it on the donate page as an option, but not for me.
I have no interest in providing all my information anywhere, and using my credit card is not an option for me for donation. Paypal allows me to take funds out of my personal private account, and only I see the statements. This is ideal.

My thoughts exactly, could be useful if Paypal is not an option, or the member particularly wants an automatic method, though I have found that credit card continuous payment methods can sometimes be difficult to cancel.

I'll never have a problem remembering to donate as long as @melissa jogs my memory with one of her pictures.

but what exclusive content could you provide to patrons that isn't already here on CruxForums?
CF has always been positioned as a free resource.
Therefore, I do not plan to make paid sections on the forum.
Patreon is planned only to collect donations for the forum, if someone is not comfortable using PayPal.
There will be no new paid content on Patreon.

My thoughts exactly, could be useful if Paypal is not an option, or the member particularly wants an automatic method, though I have found that credit card continuous payment methods can sometimes be difficult to cancel.

It's true that some companies make it hard to figure out how to cancel automatic credit card payments. However, that's not the case with Patreon. I've had an account with them for a while and it is very easy to turn the automatic payments on and off.

CF has always been positioned as a free resource.
Therefore, I do not plan to make paid sections on the forum.
Patreon is planned only to collect donations for the forum, if someone is not comfortable using PayPal.
There will be no new paid content on Patreon.
So if people wish to donate to CruxForums by credit card instead of PayPal then they simply click on a link on this site and it will take them to Patreon to pay. The charges do seem reasonable so it looks like an excellent idea. I wonder if there is some way of giving little rewards to members who do donate either via PayPal or Patreon.

Back
Top Bottom