Hidden Talisman of the Abbad

Go to CruxDreams.com
Yesterday at 9:02 AM
Hidden Talisman of the Abbad. Part 4

Six hours later, time creeping by at an agonizingly slow pace, Amina would have once again acknowledged Ahmed was not one to make idle threats. If she had still been capable of rational thought, that is.

“I thought your beating would have made you realize you are nothing but a slave…. your sole purpose to serve your master. Instead you injure one of my men, choosing to use your mouth not to pleasure him but to maim him! I should cut out your tongue and feed it to the birds, but what I could not teach you with the cane, little troublemaker, the desert will teach you. The eye in the sky is rising, and it gives lessons not easily forgotten” the slave leader had said.

While the sun was peeking over the horizon they had taken Amina, still shivering from the cold night, to a spot a little further into the desert. A small mound, where the ground was firm, and four sturdy spikes had been driven into it, about 3 or 4 paces apart, forming a rough, almost square rectangle.
FFEA7D11-672F-4F47-99CB-0DAE99D175EE.jpeg 20A178E6-F5CF-4C08-BAAA-2554CA696BD0.jpeg
They had then made her lie down between those stakes and tied her tightly, wrists and ankles, to long strips of leather in turn tied to the stakes, leaving about a foot of length, so that the stakes were just out of her reach. Before binding her, they had, to her amazement, soaked the leather in water. She wondered why.

Soon after she knew. In less than twenty minutes, temperature went from chilly to scorching hot, the sun having just cleared the horizon. The leather strips dried, and while she had not been tied too tightly at first, now she felt positively stretched, spread-eagled between the stakes. She had heard, years before, of some horrifying torture apparatus on which a body could be stretched to the point of its joints dislocating. She had sometimes wondered, with a sense of dread that was also strangely exciting, how it would feel to be stretched in such a way. While not even close to dislocating, the tension in her muscles and joints, due to the shrinkage of the leather straps, was beginning to cause her extreme pain. The straps had shrunk so much, her body was pulled so taught, that only her torso was still lying on the ground. Her tied wrists and ankles burned as the rough leather abraded her tender skin, and any sense of vague excitement she had associated with the predicament years before was evaporated.

But being stretched out was not her only discomfort. The heat soon became unbearable. Her brown skin offered no real protection, but even Duwana…. she thought back for a moment to the proud Nubian, carried back to the camp, unable to stand after her night on the Devil’s Perch. Even she, with her dark skin, would have blistered under the desert sun. And the thirst! Walking behind that horse, three days earlier, she had thought it impossible to get any thirstier. Now she knew better.

With the sun slowly approaching its zenith, the heat and exhaustion should have rendered her unconscious. But Ahmed had made sure she would be kept awake, at the same time increasing her suffering tenfold. His men had smeared honey on all the most sensitive spots of Amina’s exposed body. Her breasts. Her nose and cheeks. Her flanks and belly. Her ears, neck, armpits and thighs. Even her soles and toes, the palms of her hands and tips of her fingers. And of course, most of the sticky substance had gone on her nipples, her labia, her clit.

There were no anthills close by, they had told her. It would be a waste of good money, to let a virgin be eaten alive by those insects. But horse flies, well… That was another story entirely. Scores of them buzzed constantly around Amina, driving her mad with their buzzing, their tickling feet. She shook her head violently, trying to stop the flies from crawling into her nostrils. Little could she do to prevent them crawling in other orifices. And worst of all, their bites, painful as the sting of a wasp, keeping her awake when the only thing she hoped for was to sink into the blackness of merciful oblivion.

The one mercy the slavers had granted her was a thick, black cloth tied around her head, acting as a blindfold. Even keeping her eyes shut, they had told her, the desert sun would otherwise make her totally or at best partially blind. And in no way did they want to diminish her sale value.
D8CA6A67-F437-4590-84F4-AFE6A092D24F.jpeg
Her skin was beginning to burn under the harsh desert sun, her mouth parched, lips beginning to dry and crack. Her nipples and breasts, her groin and labia, burned and peppered with bites. Eventually even the hoard of flies that buzzed around and attacking her most sensitive areas could not keep her from slipping in and out of consciousness. Amina started to hallucinate. She saw herself, a small child in her bed, her mother sitting beside her, telling a story about a handsome prince who had rescued a princess in peril. She always had wanted to be that princess. She sensed movement around her, she heard sounds. Were they real? She heard a voice. Was it real? A hand placed under her head, lifting it. Something touching her lips, something wet trickling over her lips. A man’s voice saying “Not too fast, drink slowly girl. Drink slowly.” She wasn’t hallucinating.

The man’s hands slowly removed her blindfold. The brightness of the desert hurt her eyes but she eventually was able to focus on her rescuer. He cut her bonds, covered her in a blanket to shield her from the blazing sun and then offered her more water. Malik, second in command of the slavers and just returned from a mission, was not sure who this young woman was. No doubt, however, she was the most beautiful woman he had ever laid eyes on. Even the damage of the sun and the flies could not hide her beauty from his eyes: long slender legs, perfect breasts, face and eyes that somehow managed to be angelic and mischievous at the same time, with thick, long black hair. The girl was in a state of shock. He had seen it many times before. He asked her who had done this to her although he already knew. He knew who was responsible… his half-brother Ahmed.

Malik had been just a boy when his father had died. Ahmed had already left to be on his own by that time. Malik and his mother managed to survive but when Malik was in his mid-teens his mother became suddenly ill and he found himself an orphan. He used his wits to become a streetwise survivor. Eventually his older half-brother came for him, teaching him the ways of a slaver. Malik did not argue with his elder brother. Life on the streets had thought him that survival comes first, caring for others much later. He had, however, sometimes objected to the harshness of the punishments his brother used to dish out. While in the end he always ended deferring to him, seeing this beautiful, vulnerable woman so horribly tortured pushed him over his limit. Ahmed considered Malik to be weak. Well he wasn’t weak enough to let this happen to this poor young girl.

Malik carefully lifted her up, still wrapped in his blanket. She had fainted, and was clearly to weak to sit on his horse. He took her in his arms, and carried her for the brief distance to the compound. In his strong arms she weighed almost nothing, and he couldn’t keep himself from peeking at her face every few steps. At the gates of the compound the guards followed Malik’s orders to take Amina to the other slaves and have them care for her.

Before he could reach Ahmed’s tent, his older half-brother stormed out towards him. “What in the name of Allah do you think you’re doing?”

“What did you do, brother? What could such a creature, as beautiful as any houri, have done to deserve such cruel treatment?” asked Malik.

“A houri? I see, you’ve fallen for her pretty tits, have you? Well, your houri decided her mouth was not for giving pleasure, and chomped off the cock of Abdul, who was testing her skills. You know we can ill afford to sell an untamed slave”.

“Abdul was ever an idiot. What would you have done, had he decided to sample your skills?”

“Careful, little brother… even with you my patience runs only so far” said Ahmed. Then, turning to his men: “Carry the bitch back and stake her out again. It’s just past midday, she still has several hours to learn her place”.

Four slavers immediately turned towards the compound, but Malik, with an imperious gesture, stopped them.

“NO! Enough! If you cannot see you are going beyond any limits, Ahmed, then I’ll have to show you”.

Ahmed gave his younger sibling a long, silent stare. Then he said: “Do you presume you can give me orders, Malik? You know there’s only one way in our tradition to make it so…”

“I know” said Malik. “Allah knows what I owe you, but you leave me no choice. Tomorrow at dawn I’ll fight you in the traditional way over the leadership of our group”.

“You made your choice then” said Ahmed. “You saved your houri, for today at least. But who will save you tomorrow?”.

(to be continued)

Amina was in a bad way when the guards carried her into the slave compound. Duwana, hardly recovered from her own ordeal, was among the first to come to Amina’s aid. She ordered several of the other slave women to carry Amina to a shady corner of the compound where she was laid upon a couple of blankets. Duwana ordered the others “Quickly, get much water and palm tree fronds and some rags”

9FD65DE0-532A-4713-AC60-D42BA8A3778E.jpeg

They had been adversaries when they first met. Duwana had been impressed by the newcomers fighting ability; but since then they had suffered under the lash together and they had suffered together during the frigid desert night. Duwana had seen the fighting spirit in this girl, saw her use her only weapon…her teeth, to fight off a man trying to assault her. She seemed as vulnerable as a child now, but Duwana knew this girl was a warrior, far from an ordinary slave girl.

The Nubian had seen the effects of the desert sun before. She knew it was imperative to cool down Amina quickly. She dipped the rags in water and draped Amina’s body with the wet rags. She had the other slaves rapidly wave the palm fronds over the girl’s body. The Nubian slowly began removing the rags leaving a thin film of water on the princess skin that quickly evaporated cooling her body just enough to help the girl begin to return to consciousness. Duwana sat next to Amina making sure she was given small amounts of water throughout the night.

E375B745-9DC1-46AF-9D03-BB1D8108A4FE.jpeg

At sunrise a commotion rose outside the gates of the slave compound. The slaves quickly moved toward the gate to peer between the posts that made up the barrier. The Nubian helped Amina, alert but still weak, to the gate so that she could watch. All of the slavers were gathered in a large circle shouting. Inside the circle were the two half-brothers, Ahmed the leader and Malik who had saved Amina. They were both bare to the waist. Both men held daggers in each hand. A rope, about four steps in length, separated the two men, tied to each man’s waist. Duwana, not a queen as she had boasted but a skilled and experienced warrior, realized immediately that this cancelled Malik’s main advantage: his superior agility, due to his lighter frame.

Ahmed addressed his men: “My brother has chosen to challenge my leadership. As is tradition, we will fight to the death with daggers. No one is to interfere. Only one man will survive and as tradition dictates he will be the leader”. The slavers yelled in approval signifying that they understood and approved, eager for the show to start.

“Little brother, you will soon regret taking the side of your little princess houri over that of your own blood. Prepare to meet Allah.” Suddenly Amina came to the realization that the man who had saved her from the horrible torment under the desert sun was in a fight to the death because of her.

Ahmed and Malik circled each other cautiously, their bodies crouched and daggers ready. The slavers yelling and waving their arms made it difficult for the slaves to get a good look at the fight. Amina’s heart was in her throat…this man, with the kind hands, was willing to die for her. A first stab by Ahmed was skillfully dodged by Malik. Ahmed then yelled to his brother: “when I am done with you, little brother, I will celebrate by taking your little houri in all of her holes. Then she will be staked out once again to finish her time in the sun. But this time no one will save her. I will stake her out over an anthill and her body will feed the desert creatures! Her screams will be heard all the way to the next villages!”

Malik lunged from his crouch, his dagger wielding right hand knocked off target by Ahmed’s timely pull on the rope connecting them. He felt a sharp pain in his left flank as Ahmed’s right-handed dagger slashed his skin, barely avoiding a deeper cut by twisting away in the nick of time. The younger brother felt some blood flowing, but was too experienced to divert his eyes from Ahmed. “I know your tricks, Ahmed” he said. “You are trying to enrage me, hoping I will lose focus. But I know you would never give up the riches she would earn you by selling her”. “Who knows” said Ahmed. “Maybe I am fed up with the trouble she causes. Maybe when I’m done with her I’ll let all the men rape her before I stake her out.” The crowd of slavers erupted at the thought of taking the pretty young girl and the first sight of blood. Ahmed slashed out again with right hand slashing Malik across the left bicep, again not too deep but enough to cause pain and draw blood. He intended to show his superiority, put on a show for his men and then finally kill his outmatched opponent. After Malik missed with a lunge and Ahmed slashed him across the thigh, the younger brother tried a backhanded slash that barely missed its mark only to get sliced across the forehead by his older, more experienced brother. Now Malik had to constantly keep wiping blood from his eyes. He had yet to touch his opponent with his daggers. Amina felt her stomach lurch as she saw Malik covered in blood, ready for slaughter.

Ahmed was, however, becoming overconfident. He got a little too close and Malik slashed him across the left hip. In anger Ahmed drove the tip of his dagger into Malik’s left thigh, dropping him to his knees. The older brother moved in for the kill but Malik quickly rolled to his right wrapping the rope between them around Ahmed’s legs. The older man lost his balance and toppled forward on top of his younger opponent. Amina cried out as the two men lay, Ahmed atop Malik, unmoving. Her heart was heavy as the top body began to move.

“We’ll die fighting with our bare hands, princess. This I swear.” Duwana told Amina.

Then Ahmed rolled over onto his back, a dagger protruding from the middle of his chest. Malik, covered in blood, rose to his knees and raised his arms in victory. Then he crumbled to the ground in exhaustion. The slavers yelled his name and moved in to aid their new leader.

Malik was brought to his tent and his wounds tended to. He gave explicit instructions to his men that the slaves were not to be mistreated or assaulted at penalty of death. He was weak, had lost a lot of blood, but was clear of mind and determined to make his victory count. Weak as he was some of the older raiders could get it in their minds to kill him during the night, but fortunately many were loyal to him more than to Ahmed. They would wake over him. Before falling in a deep sleep, however, he also ordered four of them to wake over the slaves.

He also ordered to be brought to the slave compound in the morning and that all of his men be in attendance. Of course, this raised the expectations of the men, wondering if they were to be rewarded with some private time with the slaves.

Amina spent a fitful night, wondering how badly Malik had been injured in the duel with Ahmed. Her mind kept flashing back to the slavers carrying his body, covered with blood, back to his tent. Was he being cared for? What were the extent of his wounds? She noticed more guards watching over the slaves. Why more guards? Then it dawned on her… maybe he didn’t survive. Maybe he died during the night, by the hand of another slaver.

62ECC64F-2A2C-4B7A-9EAB-8AFD06D2C0A3.jpeg 9E1EE147-A2E1-4198-A51D-94B95F37A15A.jpeg

Morning brought the answer she was praying for. Malik with the help of several of his companions limped slowly to the center of the slave compound. He was surrounded by his most loyal followers, the rest of the slavers standing at the perimeter with the female slaves. Malik raised his hand for silence “ Ahmed has been a good leader for many years. A great leader. But you all know he was getting more and more unpredictable. How many of you have been punished for the slightest reason? How many have had a friend or a sibling killed by him in a rage? I do not need your consent to rule, tradition dictates that I am in charge, having won the duel. However, I will lead you differently than my brother did. I’ll treat you with respect”. A few voiced appreciation. “And we will treat the slaves in a human way. How many did we lose due to Ahmed’s cruel punishments? Corpses bring us no money”. This time only an uncertain silence greeted his words.

Malik then asked to see Amina. 6E5C5B7A-1D19-4847-B8E9-C82D219D6D2E.jpegWhen she was brought to him, he again was taken by her beauty. Before she could thank him for freeing her, he asked “how are you, I was worried that you would not survive the night.” She smiled “and I was worried that you would not survive the night. Seems we both did, however.” Malik grimaced as the pain in his thigh became unbearable, his blood soaking his bandages. His vision blurred, his head began to swim, his legs buckled and he would have fallen hard had not the slight girl caught him. Showing strength she did know she had, she stepped forward to grab his limp body and ease him to the dirt floor. Amina called for help. His friends came to his aid but Amina sensing he needed more called out for Duwana. The Nubian warrior had been able to nurse her to health, maybe she could help Malik as well.

At first the slavers were reluctant to let the black woman near their leader but knowing their limitations with regards to healing they let her through. She had seen this on the battlefield in her native country, the body starting to shut down due to blood loss. Already laying on his back, she had the men raise his legs. “The wound in his thigh has opened again. First we must stop the bleeding” she said. “Build a fire. Heat a knife blade.”
9461A9B8-7541-4607-9A69-422421E0E456.jpeg
No one moved, the women and the slavers looking uncertainly at each other. “Do as she said” ordered Malik. “Hereby I order Amina and Duwana to be freed. No matter if I survive or not”. The knife was brought, glowing reddish from the fire it was kept in. “This is going to hurt, I fear” said Duwana. Malik just shook his head.
BDFBD96F-64B1-412C-B8FA-90DF0D0A7682.jpeg
The Nubian held the hot knife blade against his wounds, cauterizing them, stopping the flow of blood. Malik screamed once, before passing out. Amina knelt, holding his head, and looked at Duwana. “Will he live?” Duwana answered “If it is Allah’s will. Wrap him on blankets. We must not move him. Within two suns we will know for sure.

In the capital city the search for the talisman was constantly on the mind of the usurper Ahkbar. Yes he had assassinated the former Emir, his brother, but he knew that to be recognized as the true Emir, he needed to have the sacred talisman in hand before the next summer solstice. Although it was many, many moons away he feared for the legitimacy of his rule should the talisman remain unfound. The elders had reinforced that thought, telling him his rule would cease if he could not produce that holy symbol of leadership by the next summer solstice.

Akbar had long lusted over his brothers eldest daughter Amina. She possessed the real beauty and intelligence that befitted being his wife and Emira. Ahkbar knew in his heart that his brother would only entrust the location of the talisman to one so loyal to her people and so smart. The King knew she was out there someplace. So far she had eluded his spies. She must be found. He has ways to make her talk. He will break her with pain, careful not to spoil her beauty. She will reveal the sacred talisman’s hiding place, then she will crawl to his bed. ( to be continued)

Back
Top Bottom