Hometown.

Go to CruxDreams.com
Ancient , later Ebusus, nowadays Ibiza / Eivissa!

I had a friend living on the mainland, and drove from UK to see him. His street address was Eivissa ?n?. Did Google Maps recognize that street? Did it hell!!

After studying his directions, I was still puzzled, then looked at a different map and my eye wandered across to the Balearic Islands. There was Eivissa! Where I expected Ibiza!

Back to the street map, and sure enough there was Calle Ibiza where I expected to find it.

Long live regional languages!

I had a friend living on the mainland, and drove from UK to see him. His street address was Eivissa ?n?. Did Google Maps recognize that street? Did it hell!!

After studying his directions, I was still puzzled, then looked at a different map and my eye wandered across to the Balearic Islands. There was Eivissa! Where I expected Ibiza!

Back to the street map, and sure enough there was Calle Ibiza where I expected to find it.

Long live regional languages!
Depending on your take on the issue, some people consider them regional languages, others their true national languages surviving under an oppressive state language. :D

'A language is a dialect with an army and a navy' (anon audience member at a lecture by the linguist Uriel Weinreich, who put the saying into circulation but commendably didn't claim it as his own)

'A language is a dialect with an army and a navy' (anon audience member at a lecture by the linguist Uriel Weinreich, who put the saying into circulation but commendably didn't claim it as his own)
After teaching the concept of dialect to my English students, and after a great many examples and analyses of the same, when I asked them to characterize their own dialect, they invariably claimed to have none.
:eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh:

A Museum presented the Romans in central germany, but without visitors because corona rules. :-(

A Museum presented the Romans in central germany, but without visitors because corona rules. :-(
that's quite well done, though I'd have liked to see some more of the objects closer and for a little more time - it jumps about a bit.
One of the good things Covid19 has brought is the opportunity to have virtual visits to museums, art galleries, gardens, concerts, lectures etc., in places I'd probably never have got to see otherwise!

Back
Top Bottom