Honorary titles

Go to CruxDreams.com
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got the verbatim response by @Madiosi that there was a "secret rule" (so, @Wragg, I did not make that part up) about the required 1000 posts, with no hint of consideration that not all post are created equal.
Now I'm in a position in which I can understand better why you thought it that way in the first place. In fact, it's not a hidden rule but one included in the public welcome message for new members:
The site will keep a tally of the number of messages you post, and the number of likes you receive. As you post messages and receive likes you will receive ‘Trophy Points’, and your title will progress from ‘Condemned’, through ‘Onlooker’, ‘Spectator’, ‘Guard’, ‘Assistant Executioner’ and ‘Executioner’. After you have posted around 1000 messages and you are an active member, you may be asked to choose your own title.

Probably it's because I'm relatively new to this forum that the specific clause is still fresh in my mind. I don't know why Madiosi told you it was a secret rule, but I can conjecture that he may have meant it's not very well known among the members.

At any rate, it's been an established rule for quite a while, publicly announced to all members to see. As such, I had to wonder why you seem to regard it as a sort of a hidden rule that can be arbitrarily applied by moderators, sometimes unfairly to certain members.

I do agree with what has been said that such little things are actually of no importance. I also don't believe that after a handful of posts I deserve a privilege given to long-time active forum members. But my one and only interaction with a moderator has also made it very clear to me that this forum just may not be a place where original creations, poems, stories images, you name it, are particularly valued over any other type of post. This is a management decision, but it is not one that works for me.

While I respect your personal preference that puts such an importance to forum titles, I have to disagree that people don't value original contributions on CF, just because they don't put particular weight to original contents when calculating the number of posts required to earn a custom forum title. It could very well be just that not too many people have compained about it so far, or that it'd be quite cumbersome to devise a new system which potentially could annoy more people than it could appease.

Many of the people who have posted a reply in this thread, for instance, have been known for their original contributions more than anything else. When there are so many who have been accumulating enormous numbers of 'likes' over their original works, I feel it to be unfair to accuse the community of not valueing original authors enough, just because none of them have complained about the forum title rules as you did.

I think this comment speaks for the big shortcoming of cruxforums that @crumera has rightly pointed out: cruxforums has an achive, it has a section dedicated to original stories but it does not have a place to gather original image contributions by various artists and allow for interaction.

For example, I did not know about @algabal's artwork, and I would not have known where to look for it amongst literally dozens of threads that are more review-type of a particular subject matter or artist (which is fine and inspiring, too). What I would like to be able to is to easily identify the works of fellow artists and leave my comment there.

You can search for "montycrusto" and you'll see that it's not just for the stories that the archive exists. Of course, it's undeniable that it's mainly used to store stories but it does not mean the community has any bias against artworks in favour of stories. The forum doesn't provide any more interactive features for archived stories than for archived artworks.

And while I agree that it'd be great to have a more convenient way to easily track original artists, lack of such features is hardly a proof that CF doesn't value original artists. CF is running on a stock forum application called "XenForo" which isn't particularly designed to support a websites like Deviantart, for example. Considering we haven't even been able to implement HTTPS, which is considered almost mandatory for such a website like CF, and that we are still suffering from the bandwidth outage, I doubt that we have enough resources to turn CF into something similar to Devianart anytime soon.

The bottom line is, it's unreasonable to read any hidden motives in the lack of such features, as it can simply mean that we don't have sufficient resources to implement them.

And honestly, it's pretty easy to search all threads started by an arbitrary forum member. And considering most of our original authors keep dedicated threads to keep their works, it's not that difficult to find such contents as it is, and you can even subscribe to them if you like.

As a final note, I admit that it's entirely your call to leave or not leave CF for whatever reason. And if you find being unable to change the forum title, or the lack of certain features to be a sufficient reason to leave, I must respect your decision.

That being said, if you value interactions with your followers so highly, I can't help but feeling it odd that you would wish to abandon them over such a cause. As we can see from many of the posts in this thread, there are not a few people (including myself) who would miss your work in case you decide to leave. On the other hand, I don't think we have too many people who think too much of what forum title another member has, compared to what original contents he may have contributed so far.

So, I can't help but feeling it a bit contradictory to abandon the opportunity to interact with those who actually love your work because of something few (if any) of them would really care or even notice.

Last edited:
My apologies, dear sir, it is indeed set to messages, it could be set to reaction score or trophy points, but it is set on messages.

Since when? I mean really since when?

For years and I can go look up the posts if you want, we have all been telling people who inquire they simply have to ask for one. As recently as late last year that I know of if not more recently than that. It really does not take much to alter masks on a user account so I am going to ask when was this "secret rule" introduced?

Since when? I mean really since when?

For years and I can go look up the posts if you want, we have all been telling people who inquire they simply have to ask for one. As recently as late last year that I know of if not more recently than that. It really does not take much to alter masks on a user account so I am going to ask when was this "secret rule" introduced?
If there is a secret rule then it hasn't been shared with me, nor has anything changed, at least since 2017 when I became a mod.

The welcome message that I mentioned above was created on April 2017, and last edited on August of the same year. So probably it’s been public since then, at least.

Thanks, Fallenmystic. :)

The welcome message that I mentioned above was created on April 2017, and last edited on August of the same year. So probably it’s been public since then, at least.

"After you have posted around 1000 messages and you are an active member, you may be asked to choose your own title."

Which does not say you cannot have a custom title for asking before that. In fact I am fairly sure several people have gone from around guard or whatever it is straight to a custom title not that I felt I needed to keep track before.

In fact there are a number of 'standard' titles beyond the 1000 post limit but I think only Tree ever actually worked his way through those.

Still as it is the only objection I can see is simple staff laziness, so I will expect my custom title to be removed as I really do not like this arbitrary double standard.

"After you have posted around 1000 messages and you are an active member, you may be asked to choose your own title."

Which does not say you cannot have a custom title for asking before that. In fact I am fairly sure several people have gone from around guard or whatever it is straight to a custom title not that I felt I needed to keep track before.

In fact there are a number of 'standard' titles beyond the 1000 post limit but I think only Tree ever actually worked his way through those.

Still as it is the only objection I can see is simple staff laziness, so I will expect my custom title to be removed as I really do not like this arbitrary double standard.
Sorry, but I don't follow the logic here. When someone says "you may cross the road when the green light is turned on" it doesn't mean you can also freely cross the road before the green light because it isn't explicitly forbidden. If that clause meant you may get a custom title either before or after you make 1,000 posts, we can very well either delete it altogether or substitute it with an arbitrary number like 995,919 as it wouldn't make any difference whatsoever.

Last edited:
I think this comment speaks for the big shortcoming of cruxforums that @crumera has rightly pointed out: cruxforums has an achive, it has a section dedicated to original stories but it does not have a place to gather original image contributions by various artists and allow for interaction
As Melissa pointed out, Algabal's drawings have been archived, though I was not aware of it.

There are two ways an artist can present their work. They can, as you have done, start their own thread labelled as "So and so's art". That will be easily searchable and will serve as a compendium of their work.

The other option is to place your work in a multi-artist thread. If you do a desert crucifixion, you can place it in a pre-existing thread called "Desert Crucifixioxn". That will make it harder to find through the search function. So, when I searched "Algabal" I didn't find any thread labelled as his artwork (maybe because I am an old fogy from the era when computers were these big beasts that lived in basements). I wasn't trying to be funny when I asked the question.

Which route some one chooses to go is up to them. This applies less to stories since each story is typically its own thread (though there are a few threads with short peices by multiple authors.

Sorry, but I don't follow the logic here. When someone says "you may cross the road when the green light is turned on" it doesn't mean you can freely cross the road either before or after the green light, even though the sentence doesn't explicit mention this. If that clause means you may get a custom title before or after you make 1,000 posts, we can very well either delete it altogether or substitute it with an arbitrary number like 995,919 as it wouldn't make any difference whatsoever.

I happen to be aware that people have received customs titles without posting 1000 messages. So yes there is precedent for getting a custom title without any restrictions other than the obvious ones that you need to be able to tell a admin what that title is and that I would assume it is not deliberately meant to be offensive.

The rule as has been applied in the past was that custom titles were simply there for the asking but you did need to go ask.

For anyone interested the Title Ladder is built in to Xenforo and is part of the admin set up not visible to the members. It is triggered automatically as follows..Screen Shot 06-08-20 at 12.07 PM.JPG This is part of the ladder.

There are 3 ways that you can ascend the ladder. Either by
A. Trophy points
B. Messages
C. Reaction score (Likes)

At the moment the setting is on B for all members. It is not possible to have a combination. As explained before some members have been asked if they would like a custom title in recognition of their contribution to the site. As far as accusations of "staff laziness" and "double standards" is concerned that is absolute rot. There is a lot more I could say!!!!!!

So, RR, you expect your custom title to be removed. Fine..no problem, you are now a Consul as determined by Xenforo.

Last edited by a moderator:
I happen to be aware that people have received customs titles without posting 1000 messages. So yes there is precedent for getting a custom title without any restrictions other than the obvious ones that you need to be able to tell a admin what that title is and that I would assume it is not deliberately meant to be offensive.

The rule as has been applied in the past was that custom titles were simply there for the asking but you did need to go ask.
I don't know if there have been exceptions to the rule, or if they happened before or after the introduction of the published rule pertaining to the subject. So I won't make any claim on that matter.

However, as long as there is a relevant rule which clearly states that a privilege to get a custom title comes after posting more than 1,000 messages now, getting it before qualifying the criteria (if there's any such case after 2017) should be regarded as a special exception, not something you can demand from moderators and blame them if they don't grant it.

I don't know if there have been exceptions to the rule, or if they happened before or after the introduction of the published rule pertaining to the subject. So I won't make any claim on that matter.

However, as long as there _is_ a relevant rule which clearly states that a privilege to get a custom title comes after posting more than 1,000 messages, getting it before qualifying the criteria (if there's any such case after 2017) should be regarded as a special exception, not something you can demand from moderators and blame them if they don't grant it.

Custom titles were a bit of fun. I rather liked mine but yes there have been definite exceptions to the idea of 1000 posts being required since 2017. Since I do not want to get anyone else's taken away but since it now seems they are a mark of a them and us attitude I would rather give up my own.

I am surprised at how upset I am over this issue but I am upset.

Custom titles were a bit of fun. I rather liked mine but yes there have been definite exceptions to the idea of 1000 posts being required since 2017. Since I do not want to get anyone else's taken away but since it now seems they are a mark of a them and us attitude I would rather give up my own.

I have asked for mine to be changed as well. I would point out that we all can customize our signature (which RR uses for a full statement on a subject.) For those who want recognition of their own choice, do that!

Well, so am I. None of my colleagues are "lazy", and I for one, as indicated above, do my best not to be either lazy or arbitrary; when I make a mistake I try to apologise, as I did above to Jucundus, only to fall into another deep well of hassle.

I think this comment speaks for the big shortcoming of cruxforums that @crumera has rightly pointed out: cruxforums has an achive, it has a section dedicated to original stories but it does not have a place to gather original image contributions by various artists and allow for interaction.

Well maybe this can be something to develop

@jucundus, a lot of people you know from the discord are already on that thread. It is probably possible to discuss whether the thread could also be opened to cover other artist topics than 3D rendering.

So, when I searched "Algabal" I didn't find any thread labelled as his artwork (maybe because I am an old fogy from the era when computers were these big beasts that lived in basements). I wasn't trying to be funny when I asked the question.

A much better way to do this is to visit a user's profile page, and then go to the "find" dropdown and select "find all threads by {user}"

So for instance your profile has 5340 posts which is way too much to wade through for anyone but "By threads" it is only a two page archive.

In my case it is exactly one thread ;)

Last edited:
Jucundus said " I think this comment speaks for the big shortcoming of cruxforums that @crumera has rightly pointed out: cruxforums has an achive, it has a section dedicated to original stories but it does not have a place to gather original image contributions by various artists and allow ..."

I think we are on different planets. The archive consists of 4 Categories

Manipulations
Videos
Stories and Poems
Pictures and Miscellaneous

ALL contributions are ORIGINAL and by our members. It was designed so that there would be no interaction between members otherwise it could fill up with the kind of nonsense that is being posted on this thread. So where exactly is the "big shortcoming"?

PS This thread is likely to be closed very soon.

RacingRodent said " For years and I can go look up the posts if you want, we have all been telling people who inquire they simply have to ask for one. As recently as late last year that I know of if not more recently than that. It really does not take much to alter masks on a user account so I am going to ask when was this "secret rule" introduced? "

Let's be dead clear about this..THERE IS NO SECRET RULE! The word "secret" was used instead of "little known". If English is not a first language then sometimes the wrong impression can be given.

RacingRodent said " For years and I can go look up the posts if you want, we have all been telling people who inquire they simply have to ask for one. As recently as late last year that I know of if not more recently than that. It really does not take much to alter masks on a user account so I am going to ask when was this "secret rule" introduced? "

Let's be dead clear about this..THERE IS NO SECRET RULE! The word "secret" was used instead of "little known". If English is not a first language then sometimes the wrong impression can be given.

The issue has been the rule has up to now not been regarded as such. It has certainly not been observed as a hard boundary. Now I understand you yourself have initiated a staff discussion on a clear set of criteria, which I appreciate so I will leave it at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom