Honorary titles

Go to CruxDreams.com
Status
Not open for further replies.
You are the one who pontificated on high about "tolerance toward non-crux topics on the site." What pray tell did that mean except that those topics are off-topic, inferior, and not worthy as crux? You do not tolerate your equals. Tell me how else to read that?
Maybe my English is not good enough to detect a hidden message between the lines, but I understood it as a simple acknowledgement of the fact the website started as a more dedicated community to crucifixion in its original form. And in that case, the original members and moderators have their rights to keep their site exclusive to that theme, but they chose not to, hence “tolerating” it becoming a community for broader interests.

So, in my case, I didn’t take it as offensive even when I almost exclusively contribute and peruse non-crux contents on this website myself.

You are the one who pontificated on high about "tolerance toward non-crux topics on the site." What pray tell did that mean except that those topics are off-topic, inferior, and not worthy as crux?
What it actually means is that there are many forums that are dedicated to certain topic and will pretty much enforce that.

Like no soft spanking stories on the hanging forum or whatever.

The difference is this place, despite having a topic in its name, is not restrictive.

Nevertheless by definition Crux will always be on topic in a place called crux forums.

That's all.

Maybe my English is not good enough to detect a hidden message between the lines, but I understood it as a simple acknowledgement of the fact the website started as a more dedicated community to crucifixion in its original form. And in that case, the original members and moderators have their rights to keep their site exclusive to that theme, but they chose not to, hence “tolerating” it becoming a community for broader interests.

So, in my case, I didn’t take it as offensive even when I almost exclusively contribute and peruse non-crux contents on this website myself.
Exactly

This guy gets it.

Because he isn't looking for hidden meanings.

The big accomplishment is when you can accept that some people will say there are better stories than yours and they prefer to not read them.

Why is that an accomplishment? Of the 7 billion people on the earth at best a few hundred have read my stories here and elsewhere. Of course there are many better ones out there. But to be honest, I sometimes read critically acclaimed stories that I think are crap.

There now I feel accomplished.

Maybe my English is not good enough
I appreciate your sincere message. However, look up tolerate in any English/American dictionary:
"If you tolerate a situation or person, you accept them although you do not particularly like them."
"If you can tolerate something bad or painful, you are able to bear it."
The key is in the etymology, from the Latin Tolerare, to bear to endure, especially pain. A nice word for uses on this site, but not meaning "I approve." "It is fine." But what do I know I am a terrible writer,
mea culpa, mea culpa,
mea máxima culpa.

I bet they said back in the day to Mr. Shakespeare (assuming such a person actually existed), "You do not compare well to Chaucer and will not be remembered like him". In fact, most people at that time would have laughed themselves silly if you'd told them that those plays they went to at the Globe and thought were entertainment as we think of our contemporary television programs would still be performed 500 years later. Now try to predict which TV shows from today will be watched 500 years from now. Obviously "Seinfeld" will, right @Barbaria1?...
I am not the greatest historical expert on Shakespeare but I think it is reasonably acknowledged that he had general public impact during his lifetime.

The very simple fact is that none of the works on this site, not yours and not mine, has general public impact now, not to mention in 500 years.

As for Seinfeld, is that something of comparable impact in its day? I simply don't know whether Shakespeare was more or less relevant to its contemporaries, than Seinfeld was to its bygone days.

I would dare to suggest that Shakespeare was less caught up in the specific culture of the day, as he so often took up general questions in settings that were already classic or ancient in his day.

I appreciate your sincere message. However, look up tolerate in any English/American dictionary:
"If you tolerate a situation or person, you accept them although you do not particularly like them."
"If you can tolerate something bad or painful, you are able to bear it."
The key is in the etymology, from the Latin Tolerare, to bear to endure, especially pain. A nice word for uses on this site, but not meaning "I approve." "It is fine." But what do I know I am a terrible writer,
mea culpa, mea culpa,
mea máxima culpa.
You are right. But is it so strange that people "not particularly like" something that isn't compatible with their own fetish? When you create an website dedicated to your own fetish but somehow it grows to embrace even those you find to be repulsive, or uninteresting, you can choose to "tolerate" it. And I feel grateful that they did rather than wielding a ban hammer, for example, to keep it to its original narrow confine.

Exactly

This guy gets it.

Because he isn't looking for hidden meanings.
Glad to know that I didn't misinterprete your intention with my post. So please, do the same for me and try to steer the thread back to be a civil discussion. I only said "hidden message" as a hypothetical, not because I think PrPr was trying to see it in your posts.

During the brief period that I've been active on this beloved community, I doubt if I've ever seen so many of our respectable authors, and reasonable members to become so angry over such a trivial - at least for most of us - thing, as forum titles. What has everyone ate for breakfast today? :p

Why is that an accomplishment? Of the 7 billion people on the earth at best a few hundred have read my stories here and elsewhere. Of course there are many better ones out there. But to be honest, I sometimes read critically acclaimed stories that I think are crap.

There now I feel accomplished.
Critical acclaim is not some universal measure of quality. Neither is number of readers, or book sales. There are such things as hidden gems.

The accomplishment is in applying the same standards to yourself as you apply to others.

You ignore some types of work. Others might ignore yours.

No harm intended, no harm done. It's just, you're not the measure of man. Neither am I.

When you create an website dedicated to your own fetish but somehow it grows to embrace even those you find to be repulsive, or uninteresting, you can choose to "tolerate" it. And I feel grateful that they did rather than wielding a ban hammer, for example, to keep it to its original narrow confine.
That is the point exactly.
We should be grateful for a community that doesn't enforce narrow confines.

In fact it's perfectly OK here to say you find crux uninteresting or even repulsive.

A church or a political party would probably kick you out if you called their platform repulsive... ;)

But it is just going to be okay to do crux here.

Critical acclaim is not some universal measure of quality. Neither is number of readers, or book sales. There are such things as hidden gems.

The accomplishment is in applying the same standards to yourself as you apply to others.

You ignore some types of work. Others might ignore yours.

No harm intended, no harm done. It's just, you're not the measure of man. Neither am I.
Just out of curiosity, have you any stories or original art here?

I do crux pics, as you might have gathered from reading my posts. I don't write stories though the truth is, as was jokingly commented in a private discussion with another artist just yesterday... We sometimes have to create half a world just to get the right sentiment for a pic.

Some of my work comes with a bit of a back story like The Sacrifice of the Sibyl or Hill of Shame but none of it goes beyond a handful of lines.

My work is done within the confines of my capability; due to its subject matter it is summarily of no interest to you and that's fine.
My work has its own small band of appreciators and followers; the resonance of my work with those who share an interest in the general style and substance is of importance to me.

But I have never maintained any pretense that my work should be recognized as having some universal appeal or that it is somehow a requirement to like or follow it in order to, as you have said "earn your title like everyone else here did..."

" just out of curiosity, have you any stories or original art here? "
Yes he does.
Enough with the bitching already.

Last edited:
But I have never maintained any pretense that my work should be recognized as having some universal appeal or that it is somehow a requirement to like or follow it in order to, as you have said "earn your title like everyone else here did..."
Why would there ever be any requirement for anyone to like anything? Though I hear tell that "Everybody doesn't like something, but nobody doesn't like Sara Lee";)

We're getting awfully far away from the topic of the thread now. It's been a pleasure chatting with you. Have a nice evening.:)

Hey!!!! Everyone stop and take a breath here! This forum welcomes a wide range of interests and is not limited to crux, nor is it limited to any particular form of artistic expression. Artists and writers have always been welcome here, and a wide range of topical interests are accepted and featured as well. Discussion and commentary are welcome on the threads, but hardly required. Members are free to participate in any way that suits them. It’s perfectly alright to prefer one kind of material over another, to be very active or to be an occasional viewer. No one is expected to like everything, and shouldn’t feel pressured to read or view posts or materials that are not of interest to them, or feel that they have to meet any particular standard of skill or quality should they choose to be creative, whether it be art or prose. Please be respectful of one another. That’s something that has not always been in practice on this thread. As Eul pointed out in an earlier post, we are a community here and as such we expect that members will interact in a civil and friendly way.

Last edited:
I don't think there is "anywhere else", Jucundus.
There's TDS but El Coyote is keen on the 2Mb per picture rule. And that cramps your style a bit. And can be challenging
And if we are honest, some of you output, would alarm the new owners of DA. who have been shown, are keen, to protect their recent $32M acquisition. :-(

I know where you are coming from though, having recently done a crucifixion with Messaline. Your options are changing the expression, changing the lighting, moving the camera around a bit.

Why not go back to "knocking out" , some of your old stuff, which always worked out well, I'm sure people will understand.

And thanks Windar, consider a Thesaurus or something.

This image is for @mp5stab for her excellent model, and for @Apostate because he asked for it (and the pose). Well, and for @Marcella , because she asked for more than one figure.

View attachment 866823

Also, this might well be the last picture I post on cruxforum. Unfortunately, my desire for a custom title next to my avatar is at odds with one of The Secret Rules, as outlined to me by The Administration. Realistically, I will never reach the posting level required for this ego-stimulating privilege, because making images simply takes too long. So, may fairness prevail here, while I will look for a more unfair place that really wants to have me, and return to making non-crux images. Anyway, it was nice excursion, and thanks for all the feedback!
Black lives matter

It’s perfectly alright to prefer one kind of material over another, to be very active or to be an occasional viewer. No one is expected to like everything, and shouldn’t feel pressured to read or view posts or materials that are not of interest to them,
Thanks for clarifying that, since you're a mod - your opinion actually matters.

The forum of course has the freedom to set whatever rules it likes - a forum is not a democracy.

To run a successful community, being somewhat open, tolerant and inclusive of varying viewpoints and styles is an advantage. That is one thing CF has been pretty good at. It has benefited from not specializing too much and being accessible, as opposed to some other forums which are struggling to maintain a viable user base.

I don't have a beef with the mods here, and quite to the opposite of some invective here I have also agreed with the forum's policy on 'Honorary titles' which for me are irrelevant.

For my part, I usually just post occasional artwork in my own thread.
Where it can stay out of the way of people who don't like it.

I discuss in similar threads, and then of course as a contrast to my visual work I'm also interested in well crafted stories, where I will be occasionally commenting.
It happens that the artwork I post here focuses on the titular fetish of this site. Of course I have other interests, but I pursue those elsewhere, I don't use CF as a general purpose social networking site.

The Praefectus mentioned the importance of being a 'Somebody' and that this is only possible by exclusion - fine with me, I don't need to be a 'Somebody' here, I will just continue doing what I do until I get bored, banned or run over by a bus. I normally don't engage in such discussions (otherwise I would have racked up a bit more than just 200 posts in 15 years) but well, maybe I don't want to be bothered by the 'Somebodies' while doing my nobody thing that really gets in nobody else's way.

Last edited:
Well, I surely did not want to produce a discussion about the importance of crux or non-crux. I like both. Actually, I have to disagree with @Dazza and @windar that there is little artistic challenge in doing crux images, or that they all look the same. I find the posing very difficult, for my first picture I basically copied an Alice Kiss image I found in this thread.
And also I got really good input from the experts how to improve particular aspects of such depictions. Somewhere I came across a comment by @SkatingJesus, who basically said the same: If you want to get better at depicting "girls on sticks", ask the girls. And the guys who love them.

Here is what happened: I could not help noticing custom titles that sounded a lot nicer than the one that was stuck to my profile. So I inquired with the moderators, and I got the verbatim response by @Madiosi that there was a "secret rule" (so, @Wragg, I did not make that part up) about the required 1000 posts, with no hint of consideration that not all post are created equal. And no other road to this little trophy for somebody who contributes original and on demand images than for anybody else, for reasons of "fairness". So a very strict quantity over quality perspective.

I do agree with what has been said that such little things are actually of no importance. I also don't believe that after a handful of posts I deserve a privilege given to long-time active forum members. But my one and only interaction with a moderator has also made it very clear to me that this forum just may not be a place where original creations, poems, stories images, you name it, are particularly valued over any other type of post. This is a management decision, but it is not one that works for me.

Now you're going in circles, that's exactly what the title ladder does do, you seemed to be asking us to short-cut it...

This is not what I was told. I was told POSTS, not LIKES.

I think this comment speaks for the big shortcoming of cruxforums that @crumera has rightly pointed out: cruxforums has an achive, it has a section dedicated to original stories but it does not have a place to gather original image contributions by various artists and allow for interaction. For example, I did not know about @algabal's artwork, and I would not have known where to look for it amongst literally dozens of threads that are more review-type of a particular subject matter or artist (which is fine and inspiring, too). What I would like to be able to is to easily identify the works of fellow artists and leave my comment there. Like, tell to @algabal that he makes such fine examples how diverse crux images can actually be, and that some of his faces remind me of Milo Manara's work. I am sure there are plenty of such hidden gems in the forum. Basically, the only strategy now is to first suspect that somebody else is a creator and then find all the threads he/she has started.

In this context:

We can move all the content that does not match that title to a separate thread, where debate about honorary titles can continue, in a courteous and constructive way.

Sorry, but this is a mess. For one, you left behind this orphan post. Secondly, now that you have carved my last image out of its original thread and stuck it on top of this one titled "Honory titles" you have effectively buried it. As pointed out above: Nobody will suspect original content in such a thread in a couple of weeks from now. Which is a shame, because it took a lot of work to make this picture.

I don't think there is "anywhere else", Jucundus.

Oh yes, there is! Lotte's new forum. I have just been too shy to go there yet. @JackPott, thanks for your comment, old friend, you will probably find me there soon. And surprisingly, quite some of my stuff seems to be tame enough to survive on dA, for the time being, anyway.

Well, I surely did not want to produce a discussion about the importance of crux or non-crux. I like both. Actually, I have to disagree with @Dazza and @windar that there is little artistic challenge in doing crux images, or that they all look the same. I find the posing very difficult, for my first picture I basically copied an Alice Kiss image I found in this thread.
And also I got really good input from the experts how to improve particular aspects of such depictions. Somewhere I came across a comment by @SkatingJesus, who basically said the same: If you want to get better at depicting "girls on sticks", ask the girls. And the guys who love them.

Here is what happened: I could not help noticing custom titles that sounded a lot nicer than the one that was stuck to my profile. So I inquired with the moderators, and I got the verbatim response by @Madiosi that there was a "secret rule" (so, @Wragg, I did not make that part up) about the required 1000 posts, with no hint of consideration that not all post are created equal. And no other road to this little trophy for somebody who contributes original and on demand images than for anybody else, for reasons of "fairness". So a very strict quantity over quality perspective.

I do agree with what has been said that such little things are actually of no importance. I also don't believe that after a handful of posts I deserve a privilege given to long-time active forum members. But my one and only interaction with a moderator has also made it very clear to me that this forum just may not be a place where original creations, poems, stories images, you name it, are particularly valued over any other type of post. This is a management decision, but it is not one that works for me.

This is not what I was told. I was told POSTS, not LIKES.

I think this comment speaks for the big shortcoming of cruxforums that @crumera has rightly pointed out: cruxforums has an achive, it has a section dedicated to original stories but it does not have a place to gather original image contributions by various artists and allow for interaction. For example, I did not know about @algabal's artwork, and I would not have known where to look for it amongst literally dozens of threads that are more review-type of a particular subject matter or artist (which is fine and inspiring, too). What I would like to be able to is to easily identify the works of fellow artists and leave my comment there. Like, tell to @algabal that he makes such fine examples how diverse crux images can actually be, and that some of his faces remind me of Milo Manara's work. I am sure there are plenty of such hidden gems in the forum. Basically, the only strategy now is to first suspect that somebody else is a creator and then find all the threads he/she has started.

In this context:

Sorry, but this is a mess. For one, you left behind this orphan post. Secondly, now that you have carved my last image out of its original thread and stuck it on top of this one titled "Honory titles" you have effectively buried it. As pointed out above: Nobody will suspect original content in such a thread in a couple of weeks from now. Which is a shame, because it took a lot of work to make this picture.

Oh yes, there is! Lotte's new forum. I have just been too shy to go there yet. @JackPott, thanks for your comment, old friend, you will probably find me there soon. And surprisingly, quite some of my stuff seems to be tame enough to survive on dA, for the time being, anyway.
My apologies, dear sir, it is indeed set to messages, it could be set to reaction score or trophy points, but it is set on messages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom