How About The Breaking Of The Legs?

Go to CruxDreams.com
Plautus mentions it in one of his plays, can't remember which, but the line, said by a slave who knew he was going to be in a lot of trouble, was something like "They'll call me splinter shanks!" - i.e. he was joking about being crucified and having his legs broken.

What we can infer from the gospels is that breaking the legs was not done any time soon after the victims were raised on their crosses, and maybe not at all in many cases. The Jewish leaders had to ask Pilate to have it done, with the justification that it would be unseemly to have the victims' suffering continuing into their sabbath. It would appear from that that he would have been quite willing for the crucifixions to have gone on for several days until the condemned expired without any intervention on the part of the executioners. He seems to have been amazed that Jesus died so quickly, and he seems to have feared that this might have been viewed as some kind of mercy on his part, allowing this criminal to escape through death without paying for his crimes in full measure.

All of this suggests that the Romans expected a victim to spend a very long time in agony on the cross. The humiliation of nudity and the shameful torture of the sedile or cornu added to their punishment. The reasons that the Romans might have shortened the punishment are unknown, outside of the specific case of Jesus' crucifixion. Perhaps there were instances where they felt that the interest of the onlookers had dwindled to the point that the expense of maintaining a guard at the foot of the cross was no longer justified, and so chose to dispatch the victim for simple economic reasons.

My own speculation is that following the breaking of the legs, the victims' suffering could have gone on for some time before death. While I do believe that death on the cross was most often as a result of asphyxiation, I don't think that would happen until the victim's breathing muscles were so fatigued that they simply would not work any longer. Simply hanging by the wrists will restrict breathing and cause a person to have to work much harder than he normally would in order to push the air from his lungs. While that feeling of restricted breathing is torture in itself - it's called Dyspnea - it is not fatal. It is bad enough that some terminally ill patients who experience it have said that they would rather die than have to go through it again. Waterboard torture is based on this.

Having said that, some studies have indicated that a crucifixion victim who is not exhausted would still be able to take in enough air to support life. In fact, one of the things that happens during periods of Dyspnea, where a person experiences a feeling of restricted breathing, is that he works so hard for breath that he actually hyperventilates and faints. Once he faints, his breathing rate is no longer affected by the panic he feels while awake, due to restricted breathing, his body establishes a regular breathing rhythm that provides the air required, even though it may be shallow breathing, and he returns to consciousness.

This probably happened to victims on the cross, fainting from time to time and awakening. If their legs were broken, it would continue to happen until they were so exhausted that their muscles could not move a volume of air sufficient to support life, and then they would die. Depending on how far the crucifixion had progressed, i.e. several hours or several days, it might have taken hours for a victim to finally die by very slow strangulation.

This may have hastened the victim's death, but I have a hard time classifying it as mercy; and I very seriously doubt that any friends or family, having ever seen how a victim died following the crucifragium, would have ever conceived of asking to have it done to them. And no, I don't find this particular aspect of crucifixion erotic.​

Jedakk​

Plautus mentions it in one of his plays, can't remember which, but the line, said by a slave who knew he was going to be in a lot of trouble, was something like "They'll call me splinter shanks!" - i.e. he was joking about being crucified and having his legs broken.​
What we can infer from the gospels is that breaking the legs was not done any time soon after the victims were raised on their crosses, and maybe not at all in many cases. The Jewish leaders had to ask Pilate to have it done, with the justification that it would be unseemly to have the victims' suffering continuing into their sabbath. It would appear from that that he would have been quite willing for the crucifixions to have gone on for several days until the condemned expired without any intervention on the part of the executioners. He seems to have been amazed that Jesus died so quickly, and he seems to have feared that this might have been viewed as some kind of mercy on his part, allowing this criminal to escape through death without paying for his crimes in full measure.​
All of this suggests that the Romans expected a victim to spend a very long time in agony on the cross. The humiliation of nudity and the shameful torture of the sedile or cornu added to their punishment. The reasons that the Romans might have shortened the punishment are unknown, outside of the specific case of Jesus' crucifixion. Perhaps there were instances where they felt that the interest of the onlookers had dwindled to the point that the expense of maintaining a guard at the foot of the cross was no longer justified, and so chose to dispatch the victim for simple economic reasons.​
My own speculation is that following the breaking of the legs, the victims' suffering could have gone on for some time before death. While I do believe that death on the cross was most often as a result of asphyxiation, I don't think that would happen until the victim's breathing muscles were so fatigued that they simply would not work any longer. Simply hanging by the wrists will restrict breathing and cause a person to have to work much harder than he normally would in order to push the air from his lungs. While that feeling of restricted breathing is torture in itself - it's called Dyspnea - it is not fatal. It is bad enough that some terminally ill patients who experience it have said that they would rather die than have to go through it again. Waterboard torture is based on this.​
Having said that, some studies have indicated that a crucifixion victim who is not exhausted would still be able to take in enough air to support life. In fact, one of the things that happens during periods of Dyspnea, where a person experiences a feeling of restricted breathing, is that he works so hard for breath that he actually hyperventilates and faints. Once he faints, his breathing rate is no longer affected by the panic he feels while awake, due to restricted breathing, his body establishes a regular breathing rhythm that provides the air required, even though it may be shallow breathing, and he returns to consciousness.​
This probably happened to victims on the cross, fainting from time to time and awakening. If their legs were broken, it would continue to happen until they were so exhausted that their muscles could not move a volume of air sufficient to support life, and then they would die. Depending on how far the crucifixion had progressed, i.e. several hours or several days, it might have taken hours for a victim to finally die by very slow strangulation.​
This may have hastened the victim's death, but I have a hard time classifying it as mercy; and I very seriously doubt that any friends or family, having ever seen how a victim died following the crucifragium, would have ever conceived of asking to have it done to them. And no, I don't find this particular aspect of crucifixion erotic.​
Jedakk​

Very enlightening discussion of the matter.

The idea of breaking the victim's legs is not very erotic for me either. But I wonder if it was because, as you suggested, that the mob became bored and they wanted to end things. While there were certainly not the various things to do now in ancient times I wonder if many people did get bored, such as during a sporting event that gets out of hand in favor of the home team.

Breaking the legs would likely hasten death, both from the inability to support the body & from blood loss.
The fact that Jesus's legs are reported not to have been broken may have been meant to fullfill a profacy about the messiah. I don't recall what the accual quote is or where it's found, but I believe it's something like "his bones shall not be broken".

Breaking the legs would likely hasten death, both from the inability to support the body & from blood loss.
The fact that Jesus's legs are reported not to have been broken may have been meant to fullfill a profacy about the messiah. I don't recall what the accual quote is or where it's found, but I believe it's something like "his bones shall not be broken".
I thought you might be right - many incidents in the Gospels are (suspiciously?) fulfilling OT prophecies,
but I've tried various concordances and commentaries and can't find anything that closely matches it.
The breaking of the thieves' legs but not Jesus' is only reported by John, 19.33.

I thought you might be right - many incidents in the Gospels are (suspiciously?) fulfilling OT prophecies,
but I've tried various concordances and commentaries and can't find anything that closely matches it.
The breaking of the thieves' legs but not Jesus' is only reported by John, 19.33.
I did a little more research & it may have to do with John's emphasis on Jesus's crucifixion as a sacrifice. According to Mosaic law, the bones of a sacrifice eaten at Passover are not to be broken:
Exodus 12:46 - "It must be eaten inside one house; take none of the meat outside the house. Do not break any of the bones."
Numbers 9:12 - They must not leave any of it till morning or break any of its bones. When they celebrate the Passover, they must follow all the regulations.
There is also a line in Psalm 34, that was later interperated as refering to the messiah:
Psalm 34:20 - he protects all his bones, not one of them will be broken.
The other 3 gospels make the last supper a Passover sader, John make it seem that the crucifixion took place on the eve of Passover:
John 19.31 - Now it was the day of Preparation, and the next day was to be a special Sabbath. Because the Jews did not want the bodies left on the crosses during the Sabbath, they asked Pilate to have the legs broken and the bodies taken down.
"The day of Preparation" is the day of preparing for Passover, because no work can be done on that day.

I did a little more research & it may have to do with John's emphasis on Jesus's crucifixion as a sacrifice. According to Mosaic law, the bones of a sacrifice eaten at Passover are not to be broken
Yes, thanks Naraku, that makes a lot of sense.​
Apart from anything else, it helps explain why, in the Synoptic Gospels,​
the seder is celebrated on thursday evening, 24 hours early.​
It leaves open the question whether legs of crucifixion victims were usually/ sometimes/ ever broken -​
John implies that it was "normal procedure" that happened to match the "sacrificial" agenda?​

This implies that The Last Supper was the seder meal, twenty-four hours before the start of the Passover, which is why the disciples all gathered together.
But some academic earlier this year has calculated that the Last Supper was on the Wednesday evening, the reasons for his theory are most likely pretty arcane. However I rather favour this as there didn't seem enough time from the arrest of Christ to the crucifixion at 9.00am, the third hour (after dawn) for all the events to take place. The to-ing & fro-ing between Pilate & Herod, the scourging, mocking, etc. etc. was supposed to have taken place during a single night. I also think that Pilate would not have been that keen to attend any interrogation of a lowly prisoner till after his breakfast no matter how hard the Jewish authorities were urging him to act.

If Jesus was arrested on the Wednesday night he most likely suffered ill-treatment throughout that night from the guards, but his trial would have taken place during the Thursday - plenty of time for all the events of that. If he was sentenced some time during that Thursday then he would have had to endure another night of severe ill treatment & torture from each guard-duty in turn as they came on duty throughout the night. He would have been pretty exhausted with that & the lack of sleep for two nights by the time he was taken out to be crucified.

An old thread but I found it fascinating reading. Apart from any historical records of leg-breaking, I suspect it was not routinely used for many of the good reasons cited in this thread. Why go to all the trouble of crucifying someone -- intending for her to endure the most severe, sustained agony possible -- and then shorten her time on the cross. If it was done at all I suspect it was out of an expediency that did not at all take into account the suffering of the victim. If the situation demanded it, her time on the cross was shortened. (Hey, there's a long line of condemned here; we need the wood and nails!) But even as an expediency it sounds as it may not be all that quick. Why not just a spear thrust under her breast that pierces her heart, or cut the femoral artery. She'll bleed out very quickly. Routine crucifixions had to have been boring work for the execution squads. If they were told they could break some legs, for any legitimate reason, and go home early, I'm sure they'd be quick to do it.

I also like the idea that the family or friends of a crucified person could help end her suffering early -- after, of course, some minimum time on the cross, say 6 hours or so -- by paying to have her legs broken. A horribly painfull act in itself, it would add immensely to her already unimaginable pain load. But if it hastens her death significantly -- say, she dies in another hour or two versus lasting through the night -- then she's better off for it and the family is relieved her suffering is over. I can imagine scenes where family members, knowing of a daughter or wife being crucified (OK, or a a male member of a family), begging money from other family members or friends so they could pay the executioners to break the legs of their loved one. ("Please help us!!! Dorothy's been crucified.") Perhaps the amount of money collected would indicate the quickness of the assisted death: 10 denarii get you one broken leg, 20 get both legs broken, and 50 get the condemned a quick spear through the heart. If your family is poor then too bad for you; you hang with intact legs as long as necessary.

I personally do not find the act of leg breaking at all erotic (as when women are crucified). The image of the writhing, sweating, naked and exposed female nailed to a cross is so powerful in itself, nothing much can be added to it. Oh, perhaps some tortures aimed her breasts or groin as she hangs. But these would not hasten death, just add to her pain and humiliation. Also -- and I wonder if many who read this rather long posting will agree -- I find the act of a woman losing control of her bodily functions as she hangs to be not only a physiological certainty but highly erotic and entertaining to watch. Keeping her watered and urinating is probably a sign she's not near death. And be careful where you stand when raising her up and nailing her feet, as she may drop a load on you! (An occupational hazard, perhaps, for crux teams.)

And one final note: just as people used to come out as families to watch hangings in the 1800s in the US, I suspect public crucifixions were carried out with crowds qucikly gathering. They'd want the victims -- especially if they were lovley ladies -- to hang as long as possible. I'm sure they'd boo and hiss if they saw the hammers come out to break someone's legs. Or, perhaps, if they felt especially sad over seeing a particular woman crucified, or felt she'd been unfairly dealt with, they might even pass the hat and get enough coin to end her suffering early. But I wouldn't count on it!

Aside from historical texts I have seen it displayed only once in one of the episodes of Xena where the blow of the Hammer/reaction of the victim concludes the scene. However brutal it was regarded as an act of mercy since the victim was not longer able to "dance".

To my taste it could add some spice especially to mass crucifixion scenes where some of the victims receive this kind of dubious mercy and some don`t.

But it seems that this aspect of crucifixion does not attract any of the artists or reenactors since I have seen no pictures anywhere involving this (historically quite common) practice. Could this fantasY really be too brutal?

Had a conversation recently and was asked if I'd like to have my legs broken to hasten death on the cross. I don't often see that detail in stories on here, is it too brutal for most? My personal fantasy would certainly include it, and the pain would be excruciating but it would signal the end at last. (I must stress that this is a FANTASY, I don't actually want to die, but if I was going to, I'd want the whole experience.)

Thoughts from you all? How does breaking legs enhance the torture?

Back
Top Bottom