• Other

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Wragg's New Threads thread

Votes: 11 40.7%

• Total voters
Go to CruxDreams.com

KageKamen

Tribune
Unless you come to this site solely for the archive - or the ads, I guess - then what you're looking for is found in threads. But how do you become aware of interesting threads in order to peruse them?

As well as voting, feel free to explain context below.

(Hope I've not overlooked something...)

The What's New thread is great for finding brand new threads. The problem is more with finding new posts in existing threads. The alert function is spotty at best. If the post is a response to a post of mine, I generally get an alert, but otherwise it's hit and miss.

I have also found threads through @Wragg ’s “New Threads” thread
Doh! I know I was forgetting something!

The What's New thread is great for finding brand new threads. The problem is more with finding new posts in existing threads. The alert function is spotty at best. If the post is a response to a post of mine, I generally get an alert, but otherwise it's hit and miss.
That really needs fixing. Is there any serious attempt to do so?

Does following people have any actual functionality? I follow a bunch of favourite posters but I never seem to ever get alerted to a new thread by any?

I generally check the new posts list, my alerts, and Wraggs thread. Rarely I’ll scroll a sub forum.

Hmm, no wonder my early stories were seldom viewed, (it’s not like they were exactly stunning masterpieces so it’s ok) - it’s difficult for a newbie to break ice here until you make some friends. Luckily for me this is a friendly bunch!

Love the new Original tags

there's a thing called "News feed" in your profile area. "Following" someone means their activities will show up there.
In theory, it should have a powerful functional.
But in practice, it is almost useless for me.
Because you can't set any filters!
Without them , it's an endless feed(and you need to expand it by clicking the button), where 95 percent - who set a like!
Therefore, the most effective thing is The What's New List and Alerts

Thanks for the positives about the New Threads thread. There used to be a function on the site which told us of new threads but we lost that in a Xenforo upgrade so I set up that thread.

But please don't feel that it's 'my' thread, if you start a new thread or spot a new thread that I've missed please feel absolutely free to post a message on New Threads. :)

I would guess that the majority of members use Wragg's New Threads. Perhaps somewhere we also need a simple guide to finding original work by artists and writers using the standard tag system. When I first joined here people didn't bother because it was a relatively rare event for new pics and stories to appear.

Last edited by a moderator:
I generally check the new posts list, my alerts, and Wraggs thread. Rarely I’ll scroll a sub forum.
That's pretty much what I do, (except for scrolling a sub forum - almost never).

Wragg's "New threads" is very valuable ... of course any newly opened thread will at first appear at the top of What's new right after it was created. But within a few hours, definitely after a day or so it gets pushed off of the first page of results, as existing frequently updated threads get new posts.
So a new thread is easy to miss especially if it's not one of those things that immediately launches lively banter and a constant stream of replies.

I've observed the same as others, that alerts sometimes stop working for me. That is also an unwanted behavior frequently reported on the Xenforo support forums. The explanation may be quite simple, as one of the XenForo guys says:

If you have already received an alert for a thread you are watching but haven't visited the thread then I don't think you will receive any more alerts.
That means for instance if you get an alert, but you don't act on it by visiting the thread (maybe you're not in the mood for that type of content right now, you say "I'll read the new chapter later" or there are just too many alerts) -- then you will not get any more alerts from that thread, regardless how many people post there.

But once you blunder back into the the thread for instance by clicking on it when it appears in What's new, your alerts are reset, and after that you will get one for the next update.

That has its own logic but will feel confusing.
It explains why alerts seem to only sometimes fail, and it will give users an impression that "in the beginning, as a new user I wasn't in that many threads, back then alerts always seemed to work ... but now I'm engaged in many conversations and alerts are hit and miss". (unless one is so devoted as to meticulously click through dozens of alerts, or to constantly be online and follow each new one as it appears...)

Thanks for the positives about the New Threads thread. There used to be a function on the site which told us of new threads but we lost that in a Xenforo upgrade so I set up that thread.
You should be elevated to the House of Lords, like your illustrious ancestor Colonel McWragg ! ;) (After they’ve finished underpinning the floor to support the weight of your medals)

Last edited by a moderator:
The tab New Posts gives a list of all new and unread threads right away..
The tab What's new is a far shorter list but has new resources as well.

New post tab is for me the way to find new stuff

Attachments

• newposttab.jpg
    newposttab.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Regularly scanning individual subforums, Wragg's thread and 'others' (PM or incidental notifications in a thread).:icon_tfno:

Long ago, new threads appeared in a list on the front page, but that function unfortunately got lost during a major upgrade of the site (in return we got a huge bunch of smileys).:dogpile:

The tab New Posts gives a list of all new and unread threads right away..
The tab What's new is a far shorter list but has new resources as well.

New post tab is for me the way to find new stuff
Yes, I use that - usually late on, just to check, after following various more targetted leads.

Back
Top Bottom