How To Talk For Artists And Users (Rendering)

Go to CruxDreams.com

How do I start doing 3D?​

Up to now I've been mostly lurking here. However, many of Crux's habitués are so talented and inspiring that I'm thinking I might want to put my toe in the 3D waters. I checked out Eric Lengyel's math-heavy tomes and suppose they would lead to the promised land. Eventually. Would I live so long!

Having read History and Russian at uni and practiced Photography/Photojournalism most of my life Lightroom-and-as-little-PS as possible define my limits.

Any thoughts as to how to proceed? Software, material...? Currently I use MacBook Air M1 with 8Gb but can upgrade as needed.

Thanks to you all.

Last edited by a moderator:

How do I start doing 3D?​

Up to now I've been mostly lurking here. However, many of Crux's habitués are so talented and inspiring that I'm thinking I might want to put my toe in the 3D waters. I checked out Eric Lengyel's math-heavy tomes and suppose they would lead to the promised land. Eventually. Would I live so long!

Having read History and Russian at uni and practiced Photography/Photojournalism most of my life Lightroom-and-as-little-PS as possible define my limits.

Any thoughts as to how to proceed? Software, material...? Currently I use MacBook Air M1 with 8Gb but can upgrade as needed.

Thanks to you all.
Thanks, Moderator. Wasn't aware of that How To...

I would download Daz's 3D studio (freeware)
See if it runs on your particular machine.
Think it will

Play around with the stuff it comes with.
Decide if it is fun for you before buying stuff.
PC+good graphics card would be reccomded if you want to do quick renders in Iray.

I could send you my my free crucifixion set if you contact me with a PM
(I would need your email mentioned in that Private message.)
Cross+ nails and some poses, and some additional stuff.

I would download Daz's 3D studio (freeware)
See if it runs on your particular machine.
Think it will

Play around with the stuff it comes with.
Decide if it is fun for you before buying stuff.
PC+good graphics card would be reccomded if you want to do quick renders in Iray.

I could send you my my free crucifixion set if you contact me with a PM
(I would need your email mentioned in that Private message.)
Cross+ nails and some poses, and some additional stuff.
Thanks, Crumera. Excellent advice and just what I hoped for. I'll get back to you soon.

hallo
Hi guys, I have a really big problem that I can't solve...

I found out that during my render, my daz3d renders the render exclusively through the cpu... and I found out through this...

so my problem is that during rendering the processor is used at 100 percent, while the gpu is either at 0 or at most two percent..wtf?!

I tried x settings via advanced rendering setting, both cpu and gpu use are enabled... via image...

I tried x render via gpu (I canceled the cpu) and what did I find?

that render is running via cpu again!

is this a bug?

Attachments

• 1659893484259.png
    1659893484259.png
    137.7 KB · Views: 202
  • 1659893656838.png
    1659893656838.png
    445.7 KB · Views: 145
sorry I didn't show you how it is at full power during rendering...

but the important thing is that the cpu is at 100 percent, I have an intel 7, my RAM is 92 percent used (I have 32 GB of RAM, and I will expand it to 64 GB)

and how is it that the gpu (gtx 3060 ti) is either at zero or five percent performance??

I didn't find any solution, but I found out that the older version of daz3d didn't have this problem...

skatingjesus advised me to use octane(but I hate this program to death) it's complicated and honestly it takes a long time to set everything up correctly...

but the advantage is that I can specify what I want to render for... and it really works there!

but how ever... sometimes because of the size of the scene she did boom.. and errr...

I am solving this problem with a new Ram..

do you have any idea why it's so shitty in iray?

maybe the drivers aren't up to date?

Attached pic for my advanced Iray render settings

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 121
hmmm this is my setup...

I have the same thing as you... but when rendering, the values for the cpu jump to 100 percent and for the gpu... well, it's a mystery to me...

Attachments

• 1660246436488.png
    1660246436488.png
    154.4 KB · Views: 189
  • 1660246491210.png
    1660246491210.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 229
hmmm this is my setup...

I have the same thing as you... but when rendering, the values for the cpu jump to 100 percent and for the gpu... well, it's a mystery to me...

That's a lot of figures. In all likelihood, the scene exceeds your available VRAM.

Take note of the loading information when you start a render. It will give you the total file size of your meshes and textures.

That's a lot of figures. In all likelihood, the scene exceeds your available VRAM.

Take note of the loading information when you start a render. It will give you the total file size of your meshes and textures.
Yes, I have huge scenes.. But it doesn't change the fact that my daz3d just uses cpu instead of gpu.. I tried to reset it.. I watched X videos on YouTube.. And nothing helped.. Finally I wrote directly to dazd.com.. and let's see what they tell me.. It looks like a bug directly in daz3d..

Yes, I have huge scenes.. But it doesn't change the fact that my daz3d just uses cpu instead of gpu.. I tried to reset it.. I watched X videos on YouTube.. And nothing helped.. Finally I wrote directly to dazd.com.. and let's see what they tell me.. It looks like a bug directly in daz3d..

It's probably not a bug. When the scene size exceeds your video memory, the software will default to using CPU and system memory, because it can't load the scene onto the GPU. The only way to use GPU is to make sure the total scene size is less than your available VRAM.

It's an unfortunate limitation of the medium. Gets me all the time.

I always wanted to try to export Daz Studio content into the Unreal Engine and seeing the great results from this thread https://www.cruxforums.com/xf/threads/art-by-aganmedon.9917/ by Aganmedon i finally was able to began having some success using the free DaztoUnreal plugin https://github.com/David-Vodhanel/DazToUnreal
(there is 2 of them,this one works for me anyway) here is a sample with some Cadre props:
View attachment 1234043
This is just a test render with a test floor.
This Daz forum thread did help:https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discus...eps-to-send-animations-that-use-morphs-to-ue5

I always wanted to try to export Daz Studio content into the Unreal Engine and seeing the great results from this thread https://www.cruxforums.com/xf/threads/art-by-aganmedon.9917/ by Aganmedon i finally was able to began having some success using the free DaztoUnreal plugin https://github.com/David-Vodhanel/DazToUnreal
(there is 2 of them,this one works for me anyway) here is a sample with some Cadre props:
View attachment 1234043
This is just a test render with a test floor.
Awesome! I'll wait for your first animation with UE5, hopefully any blockers that happened to you on DS doesn't occur on UE5.

Sometimes I experience this too. My workaround for this problem, I saved the scene as new file, delete all characters, props (even environment) that doesn't shows up on the camera view and re-render again and it greatly improved to fit on the gpu memory.
After that, restore the old file if you want to take another angle and deletes the unseen again.
Other solution you could try to reduced the resolution textures using script like Gerd mentioned in here :
Post in thread '3d-Art nightmares' https://www.cruxforums.com/xf/threads/3d-art-nightmares.9381/post-714262
but I haven't try it yet.

Back
Top Bottom