How To Talk For Artists And Users (Rendering)

Go to CruxDreams.com
The problem with Radeon based graphics card are to my knowlege not supported for use with Iray.
If you want to use DAZ studio with Iray rendering an Nvidia card is highly recommended.
Other (paid)render engines might work with a radeon based card,
recommend you find out before you buy :D

I use Iray because it comes free with DAZ3D.. other renderengine might not be free.

DAZ Studio and Linux are not quite compatible IIRC even with WINE.
Good luck finding out what you want to use and what will work and what not :)

Ok. I wonder, how well are "general gpu computing" facilities supported on AMD-based cards?

Thank you for the reference. I wonder, how well do these cards work on Linux and FreeBSD? I assume, nVidia one fares not as well as its Radeon counterpart.
Both nVidia and AMD have (proprietary) drivers available for most popular Linux distros (I use Linux Mint myself, but I do my rendering work on Windows 7 as Daz3D doesn't run well under WINE and running inside a VM rarely works for anything requiring 3D accelleration, as VMs are not really designed for this purpose)
Not sure how the two compare with each other under Linux, but I've been burned in the past by the AMD proprietary drivers not being compatible with my desktop environment (Cinnamon) and so I've tended to just use the open source drivers on Linux, but then this system is only really used for general purpose online stuff - 3D stuff, gaming etc is all on the Windows 7 rig.

I've never used BSD so I can't offer any insights on that

The problem with Radeon based graphics card are to my knowlege not supported for use with Iray.
If you want to use DAZ studio with Iray rendering an Nvidia card is highly recommended.
Actually I used to use my Windows rig for Daz3D rendering in Iray before I got the nVidia gfx card, so just using the onboard AMD Radeon graphics and it did work properly, but very, very slow, but I would still recommend a good nVidia card for serious use.

I use Iray because it comes free with DAZ3D.. other renderengine might not be free.
True, but this is the internet, and so everything is free if you know where to look for it ;)

The official minimum spec for Daz Studio 4.15 are:

Windows®​

32 bit​

• Intel Dual Core (or equivalent) or greater
  • 1.6 GHz (2 GHz dual core or faster recommended)
  • Windows 10, 8, 7, & Vista, (Windows 10, 8, or 7 is recommended)
  • 1 GB RAM min (2GB+ recommended)
  • 1GB free hard drive space for installation
  • OpenGL 1.6 compatible graphics card with at least 128 MB RAM (Hardware accelerated OpenGL 2.2, or higher, compatible recommended with 512MB RAM)
  • DirectX 9 (used for audio processing only)

64 bit​

• WHQL-64 certified
  • Intel Xeon/Core 2 Duo or Quad /Core i7 or AMD Opteron/Phenom processor(s)
  • Windows 10, 8, 7 & Vista (Windows 10, 8, or 7 is recommended)
  • 2 GB RAM min (3GB+ RAM recommended)
  • 1GB free hard drive space for installation
  • Hardware accelerated OpenGL 1.6 compatible graphics card with at least 512 MB RAM (OpenGL 2.2, or higher, compatible recommended)
  • DirectX 9 (used for audio processing only)

Notes: NVIDIA RTX 2060 or above recommended for Daz Studio 4.12. NVIDIA Iray Render Engine: 64-bit only. CUDA Compute Capability 2.0 or greater required.

Ok. I wonder, how well are "general gpu computing" facilities supported on AMD-based cards?
If your are using Iray they are not supported at all.
You will still be able to render but Iray will fall back to the CPU (slower)

Hi, question for the artists, what's the recent PC specifications for rendering? I've seen older post and it's year 2017, probably after 4 years there's minor or even major upgrade of the specs especially the graphic card.
To answer your question:around October 2020 when Daz Studio went from 4.12 to 4.14 (they skiped the 4.13 version..) the minimum Nvidia video card to render in Iray with GPU assistance went from Kepler to Maxwell (GTX-750 and up) :https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/335016 (post 1748)

Quote:

"Daz Studio 4.12.2.9:Iray RTX 2020.0.2, build 327300.6313

NOTE: 2020.0 is the last major release to support Kepler based cards - 2020.1 will drop support for Kepler based cards."

So with a GTX 750 with 1 gig of video memory you could probably render a single Genesis 8 figure with a HDRI background.

But this with the Covid confinement and Cryptomining the price and of recent video card as increased to an indecent level,that is if you can find one!

To answer your question:around October 2020 when Daz Studio went from 4.12 to 4.14 (they skiped the 4.13 version..) the minimum Nvidia video card to render in Iray with GPU assistance went from Kepler to Maxwell (GTX-750 and up) :https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/335016 (post 1748)

Quote:

"Daz Studio 4.12.2.9:Iray RTX 2020.0.2, build 327300.6313

NOTE: 2020.0 is the last major release to support Kepler based cards - 2020.1 will drop support for Kepler based cards."

So with a GTX 750 with 1 gig of video memory you could probably render a single Genesis 8 figure with a HDRI background.

But this with the Covid confinement and Cryptomining the price and of recent video card as increased to an indecent level,that is if you can find one!
I'm still on Daz 4.10. I tried 4.12 but it kept crashing so I went back. I guess I'll need to get a newer PC :(

How does Daz work? In what terms are models specified? Are those meshes, polygons, and shaders? Is it a raytracing rendering engine? What primitives does it allow one to specify?

How does Daz work? In what terms are models specified? Are those meshes, polygons, and shaders? Is it a raytracing rendering engine? What primitives does it allow one to specify?

I suggest you do your own research or just download it and find out.
It's free software after all and comes with free starter models to play with.
And there is commercial models and free models to be found on their site and on other sites

DAZ is there to make scenes with human premade models

IT is not a 3D modeler like Blender, but you can do can do quite a lot of stuff with.

Youtube would be your friend for that:)

Daz has a handful of basic primitives built in (spheres, cubes, cylinders etc) but it can also import models in .OBJ format, which is great because that's about as close to a standard that the 3D world has available. (You can also export models in .OBJ format too for editing in other software or 3D printing)

The inner workings of 3D rendering engines are way beyond my level of understanding, but in general I believe they work on a layered surface manner rather than genuine raytracing, although you can still do raytracing like effects such as transparency, reflections, specularity and so on. Not too sure if it handles caustics properly though, as I just tend to work with the default stuff rather than anything that advanced - I'm sure there are plent of far more talented artists in here who could tell you much more than I ever could though.

The basic figure models (Genesis, Genesis 3, Genesis 8) are built in to the basic software and there are literally terabytes of add-on content that you can install, all available on the internet, though while Daz is totally free, most of the good content has to be paid for (unless you happen to know of a few slightly dodgy Russian websites where you can find 90% of it free of charge, if you get my drift :) )

In general, using Daz is really very simple once you understand how the basic tools work, and there are tons of very good tutorials on Youtube that will help you get started. The one I started out with was this series, and by following this guy, you will learn it pretty fast, and best of all, for most of the first few videos in the series, you only need the assets that come with the program so you won't need to install any other stuff;

(unless you happen to know of a few slightly dodgy Russian websites where you can find 90% of it free of charge, if you get my drift :) )
Clearly, Gentle Reader, Cruxforums doesn't endorse Warez sites ;) But thanks, DP for some excellent advice! :)

Daz has a handful of basic primitives built in (spheres, cubes, cylinders etc) but it can also import models in .OBJ format, which is great because that's about as close to a standard that the 3D world has available. (You can also export models in .OBJ format too for editing in other software or 3D printing)

The inner workings of 3D rendering engines are way beyond my level of understanding, but in general I believe they work on a layered surface manner rather than genuine raytracing, although you can still do raytracing like effects such as transparency, reflections, specularity and so on. Not too sure if it handles caustics properly though, as I just tend to work with the default stuff rather than anything that advanced - I'm sure there are plent of far more talented artists in here who could tell you much more than I ever could though.

The basic figure models (Genesis, Genesis 3, Genesis 8) are built in to the basic software and there are literally terabytes of add-on content that you can install, all available on the internet, though while Daz is totally free, most of the good content has to be paid for (unless you happen to know of a few slightly dodgy Russian websites where you can find 90% of it free of charge, if you get my drift :) )

In general, using Daz is really very simple once you understand how the basic tools work, and there are tons of very good tutorials on Youtube that will help you get started. The one I started out with was this series, and by following this guy, you will learn it pretty fast, and best of all, for most of the first few videos in the series, you only need the assets that come with the program so you won't need to install any other stuff;
Yes! This guy does excellent Daz tutorials for beginners and even for experienced users.

3d art request and ideas​

hi guys, i have an idea! i see many art and someone with great graphic.
if is possible crufied girl like's : sheva alomar (with tribal paint), aerith and tifa from ff7 remake, lara and triss
i try to use and learn daz studio but is not a work for me. if some one is interessed to do this job write me

tnx for attention, enjoy :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom