Iconic Movie Whipping Scenes That Shaped My Fascination Over The Years

Go to CruxDreams.com
D

Deleted member 24704 (was Darkstar)

In no particular order, to start us off, fifty still shots of wonderful various whipping scenes from Movies that have done it for me.
All these clips feature an actual whipping / flogging scene (or the hefty suggestion of one) from a Film that on release, you would see in the Cinema.
There is something special about seeing a clip, that was actually shown on the big screen at some point. I love all these Cinema clips. The earliest one from my initial fifty, is from 1947 (and is one where the punishment is halted by some last moment intervention). There is something for all tastes within this selection.

If you wish to add any stills / vids please do ? If you wish to see some of the clips, I would suggest the obvious video sharing sites. Also, If you wish to see a detailed list of masses of various relevant clips, head over to (the) "Whipping Scenes In Movies Database", run by a chap called Ralphus I believe.

As I say, feel free to post any stills / clips that have 'whipped you into a frenzy' ?? :)

Attachments

• 1 Venus In Furs.jpg
    1 Venus In Furs.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 1,676
  • 2 - Story Of A Cloistered Nun.jpg
    2 - Story Of A Cloistered Nun.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 1,548
  • 3 - Ramrodder.jpg
    3 - Ramrodder.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 1,349
  • 4 - Django.jpg
    4 - Django.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 1,306
  • 5 - Belle De Jour.jpg
    5 - Belle De Jour.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 1,291
  • 6 - Sweet Sugar.jpg
    6 - Sweet Sugar.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 1,339
  • 7 - Black Pirates.jpg
    7 - Black Pirates.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 1,430
  • 8 - Kiss Me Monster.jpg
    8 - Kiss Me Monster.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 1,511
  • 9 - Gradiva.jpg
    9 - Gradiva.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 1,539
  • 10 - Superchick.jpg
    10 - Superchick.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 1,518
2nd ten stills..

Attachments

• 11 - Flash Gordon.jpg
    11 - Flash Gordon.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,381
  • 12 - Angelique And The Sultan.jpg
    12 - Angelique And The Sultan.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 1,301
  • 13 - Mary Bryant.jpg
    13 - Mary Bryant.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 1,295
  • 14 - Bounty.jpg
    14 - Bounty.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 1,394
  • 15 - Hell Mountain.jpg
    15 - Hell Mountain.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 1,471
  • 16 - Embodiment Of Evil.jpg
    16 - Embodiment Of Evil.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 1,424
  • 17 - La Vouivre.jpg
    17 - La Vouivre.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 1,418
  • 18 - Duchess And The Devils.jpg
    18 - Duchess And The Devils.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 1,437
  • 19 Story Of O.jpg
    19 Story Of O.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 1,432
  • 20 - Story Of O.jpg
    20 - Story Of O.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 1,414
3rd ten stills..

Attachments

• 21 - House Of Whipcord.jpg
    21 - House Of Whipcord.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 1,369
  • 22 - Hotel Paradise.jpg
    22 - Hotel Paradise.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 1,346
  • 23 - Escape From Hell.jpg
    23 - Escape From Hell.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 1,310
  • 24 - Marrakesh Cult.jpg
    24 - Marrakesh Cult.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 1,284
  • 25 - Correctional Facility.jpg
    25 - Correctional Facility.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 1,275
  • 26 - Storm Warning.jpg
    26 - Storm Warning.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 1,236
  • 27 - Sin City.jpg
    27 - Sin City.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 1,236
  • 28 - Mulher Objeto.jpg
    28 - Mulher Objeto.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 1,294
  • 29 - Jail The Womens Hell.jpg
    29 - Jail The Womens Hell.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 1,305
  • 30 - One Eyed Soldiers.jpg
    30 - One Eyed Soldiers.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 1,300
In no particular order, to start us off, fifty still shots of wonderful various whipping scenes from Movies that have done it for me.
All these clips feature an actual whipping / flogging scene (or the hefty suggestion of one) from a Film that on release, you would see in the Cinema.
There is something special about seeing a clip, that was actually shown on the big screen at some point. I love all these Cinema clips. The earliest one from my initial fifty, is from 1947 (and is one where the punishment is halted by some last moment intervention). There is something for all tastes within this selection.

If you wish to add any stills / vids please do ? If you wish to see some of the clips, I would suggest the obvious video sharing sites. Also, If you wish to see a detailed list of masses of various relevant clips, head over to (the) "Whipping Scenes In Movies Database", run by a chap called Ralphus I believe.

As I say, feel free to post any stills / clips that have 'whipped you into a frenzy' ?? :)

Venus in Furs is a new one for me. The others look familiar.

4th ten stills..

Attachments

• 31 - New Eden.jpg
    31 - New Eden.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 1,330
  • 32 - Rollerblade 7.jpg
    32 - Rollerblade 7.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 1,236
  • 33 - Penance.jpg
    33 - Penance.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,163
  • 34 - Madam Claude 2.jpg
    34 - Madam Claude 2.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 1,166
  • 35 - Paradise Island.jpg
    35 - Paradise Island.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 1,143
  • 36 - Women Of Valour.jpg
    36 - Women Of Valour.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 1,123
  • 37 - Prisonera Cap.jpg
    37 - Prisonera Cap.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 1,129
  • 38 - Viking Queen.jpg
    38 - Viking Queen.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 1,121
  • 39 - Shadow Of The Eagle.jpg
    39 - Shadow Of The Eagle.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 1,086
  • 40 - Unconquered.jpg
    40 - Unconquered.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 1,136
5th ten stills..

Attachments

• 41 - Caged Heat 2.jpg
    41 - Caged Heat 2.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 1,132
  • 42 - Satans Slaves.jpg
    42 - Satans Slaves.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,088
  • 43 - Vengeance Is A Dish Served Cold.jpg
    43 - Vengeance Is A Dish Served Cold.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 1,027
  • 44 - Waxwork.jpg
    44 - Waxwork.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 1,006
  • 45 - A Escava Iscrada  .jpg
    45 - A Escava Iscrada .jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 1,006
  • 46 - Alborada.jpg
    46 - Alborada.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 1,053
  • 47 - The Shooter.jpg
    47 - The Shooter.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 1,109
  • 48 - Vikings.jpg
    48 - Vikings.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 1,216
  • 49 - The Magus.jpg
    49 - The Magus.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 1,228
  • 50 - Nathalie Escape From Hell.jpg
    50 - Nathalie Escape From Hell.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 1,275

As many here probably know, Ralphus runs a site called Girls in Merciless Peril (GIMP) which has an extensive collection of not only whipping scenes from TV and movies but also branding, electrocution and racking scenes. WSIMD was one of my favorite sites from back at the dawn of the interweb and was originally run by Oslo Netfetter (if anyone cares) but was bequeathed to Ralphus when Oslo left Dodge. I still lurk at the GIMP from time to time. It's well worth a look-see.

I like the selections above, and thank you for posting them, Darkstar!, but don't you just love (and by love I mean hate) the way that in many scenes the shackles are so loose that the actress could easily slip her wrists out of them, or the ropes so sloppily tied that it looks like the actress looped the rope around her wrists herself and is just holding it there? (I'm talking to you, Jessica Alba.) I wonder if it's like a safety code violation to actually have a human effectively restrained on camera. I've noticed lately that in practically all the scenes I've seen in police shows when it's time to hook up the bad guy or girl you may see the glint of the handcuffs, but you never see them actually applied and the suspect actually handcuffed.

If you've got examples that prove me wrong please show them. But only female suspects, please, lol. I don't care if I'm wrong about dudes.

Here's a few screencaps that I recently got from a miniseries called "Alias Grace." I would not include these in any list of top whipping scenes, but I was encouraged that the whipping scene in mainstream film is not dead. It also reminded me of King Diocletian's story "Bridewell," since it happens in a, wait for it, Bridewell.

alias grace1.JPGalias grace2.JPGalias grace3.JPG

I think the unfortunate lady has helped herself to seconds on the the gruel and bread crusts and is receiving her just desserts. Obviously not a great scene since the lady is neither terribly attractive nor at all nude.

The main character, and an occupant of the Bridewell, is Grace, played by Sarah Gadon.

alias grace4.JPG I have to admit I didn't follow the story carefully, as I was preoccupied with the hope that at some point Grace is on the receiving end of the lash, but alas, it was not to be. Sigh.

Venus in Furs is a new one for me. The others look familiar.
Presumably based on the novel by Charles de Masoch (yes, masochism)

Alain Robbe-Grillet managed to get a little whipping into most of his films - e.g.
l'Eden et apres edenandafter.jpg
trans Europ express trans europ.jpg
glissements progressifs du plaisir glissements.jpg
I think there's rather more in le jeu avec le feu, which I've not seen jeu avec le feu.jpg
It's not easy to find stills of the actual whippings, GIMP is probably the best place to find them.

Here's a few screencaps that I recently got from a miniseries called "Alias Grace." I would not include these in any list of top whipping scenes, but I was encouraged that the whipping scene in mainstream film is not dead. It also reminded me of King Diocletian's story "Bridewell," since it happens in a, wait for it, Bridewell.

View attachment 551315View attachment 551316View attachment 551317

I think the unfortunate lady has helped herself to seconds on the the gruel and bread crusts and is receiving her just desserts. Obviously not a great scene since the lady is neither terribly attractive nor at all nude.

The main character, and an occupant of the Bridewell, is Grace, played by Sarah Gadon.

View attachment 551321 I have to admit I didn't follow the story carefully, as I was preoccupied with the hope that at some point Grace is on the receiving end of the lash, but alas, it was not to be. Sigh.
In which episode is this scene?

The whipping scene takes place in part 4. As I recall, it happens early in the episode, in a flashback, and it's not a long scene at all. BTW it's on Netflix. I don't know if you can find it anywhere else.
I found it. Nice, climate scene but too brief. Of course victim should be naked or better stripped to the waist. But her screaming is very good and realistic.

There was another recent movie called "The Institute," which I very much think is worth a look. James Franco is the big name in it. Lori Singer, putting on a really bad German accent also appears in a relatively small part (remember her from "Footloose?") and an attractive actress I've never heart of, named Allie Gallerani plays the main character, Isabel Porter. institute8.jpg Isobel, (third from left) is a young woman of good family living in Baltimore USA in the late 1800's, who has voluntarily committed herself in the Rosewood Institute so she can be treated for melancholy. James Franco is the psychiatrist (or alienist, I think they were called back then) who has some bizarre ideas on how to treat her condition. Treatments include whipping and full frontal nudity. Come to think of it, what's so bizarre about that? Early on, Isobel is given a simple shift to wear in place of her rich clothing.

institute11a.JPGinstitute10a.JPG

And is shortly afterward treated with her first dose of medicine (if you consider a riding crop to be a medicine for melancholy)
institute15a.JPGinstitute7.jpg

Isobel later whips another patient as her therapy progresses.
institute18a.JPG

After that, things get weird. Isobel gets naked and offers up a human sacrifice in a pagan ritual. Well, sometimes you have to accept side effects as a cost of medical progress! Let the lawyers sort it out!

institute6.jpginstitute5.jpg

Unfortunately the acting throughout is at the level of high school theatrics, IMO. However the the scenario is so compelling it definitely pushed my buttons. As are all Hollywood movies these days, supposedly it is based on a True Story. Sorry about the low quality scans. If anyone can provide scans in HD, I'd be willing to reward you with an all expense paid vacay at Rosewood Institute.

Attachments

• institute4.jpg
    institute4.jpg
    363.8 KB · Views: 1,283
There was another recent movie called "The Institute," which I very much think is worth a look. James Franco is the big name in it. Lori Singer, putting on a really bad German accent also appears in a relatively small part (remember her from "Footloose?") and an attractive actress I've never heart of, named Allie Gallerani plays the main character, Isabel Porter. View attachment 551489 Isobel, (third from left) is a young woman of good family living in Baltimore USA in the late 1800's, who has voluntarily committed herself in the Rosewood Institute so she can be treated for melancholy. James Franco is the psychiatrist (or alienist, I think they were called back then) who has some bizarre ideas on how to treat her condition. Treatments include whipping and full frontal nudity. Come to think of it, what's so bizarre about that? Early on, Isobel is given a simple shift to wear in place of her rich clothing.

View attachment 551491View attachment 551490

And is shortly afterward treated with her first dose of medicine (if you consider a riding crop to be a medicine for melancholy)
View attachment 551492View attachment 551488

Isobel later whips another patient as her therapy progresses.
View attachment 551493

After that, things get weird. Isobel gets naked and offers up a human sacrifice in a pagan ritual. Well, sometimes you have to accept side effects as a cost of medical progress! Let the lawyers sort it out!

View attachment 551487View attachment 551486

Unfortunately the acting throughout is at the level of high school theatrics, IMO. However the the scenario is so compelling it definitely pushed my buttons. As are all Hollywood movies these days, supposedly it is based on a True Story. Sorry about the low quality scans. If anyone can provide scans in HD, I'd be willing to reward you with an all expense paid vacay at Rosewood Institute.

Looks very interesting, Jon. According to IMDB, Franco also directed and produced it. I wonder how he "cast" the female lead... It has a number of 10 star reviews and quite a few 1 star ones, so there is obviously a divergence of opinion.

Back
Top Bottom