In praise of the pillory

Go to CruxDreams.com
What kind of pillory is this device?
View attachment 890337
All the best,
Dafnees
well, with a little adaptation it could be a useful thing to have about the house - e.g. slightly adapt the leg clamp so that my feet (without the silly boots) and/or knees can push along on the floor, fit a carpet-sweeper on the front, then you could whip me along while I sweep the carpet!

Reminds me of something a Quaker woman might have endured in colonial Massachusetts.
Mary Fisher, an English Quaker activist was publicly whipped in Massachusetts in 1653 before she was run out of the colony and sent back home. Her whipping is featured in a tapestry that shows her stripped to the waist and then locked in a sort of pillory that holds the hands but not the head as she is beaten with a heavy whip with three tails. Unfortunately, the illustration is rather small and I haven't been able to find a larger one.

Mary Fisher, an English Quaker activist was publicly whipped in Massachusetts in 1653 before she was run out of the colony and sent back home. Her whipping is featured in a tapestry that shows her stripped to the waist and then locked in a sort of pillory that holds the hands but not the head as she is beaten with a heavy whip with three tails. Unfortunately, the illustration is rather small and I haven't been able to find a larger one.
mary-fisher.jpg

You may be thinking of this panel from The Quaker Tapestry - she is indeed shown, rather discreetly, in the bottom row, stripped to the waist in preparation, then locked in the pillory for her flogging

1600640361529.png PS Snap! Madi found it first. :)

Yes, but sometimes aristos like to play at being commoners.
An aristo who did something particularly shameful and heinous might find herself enduring the sort of degrading, and painful punishment reserved for commoners. After aiding in the escape of a prisoner charged with treason in 1681 Lady Lindsay was sentenced to be stripped and then whipped through the streets of Edinburgh at the end of a cart. In 1742, Dame Elizabeth Arthur found herself behind a cart dancing topless through the streets of London. They might have been pilloried as well, especially Lady Lindsay. Prisoners sentenced to be whipped through Edinburgh at the cart's tail would be stripped in an alley called the Stripping Close, and when the whipping was conplete, they would often be locked n the pillory that stood at the end of the whipping course to show off the flogger's handiwork on their bodies.

An aristo who did something particularly shameful and heinous might find herself enduring the sort of degrading, and painful punishment reserved for commoners. After aiding in the escape of a prisoner charged with treason in 1681 Lady Lindsay was sentenced to be stripped and then whipped through the streets of Edinburgh at the end of a cart. In 1742, Dame Elizabeth Arthur found herself behind a cart dancing topless through the streets of London. They might have been pilloried as well, especially Lady Lindsay. Prisoners sentenced to be whipped through Edinburgh at the cart's tail would be stripped in an alley called the Stripping Close, and when the whipping was conplete, they would often be locked n the pillory that stood at the end of the whipping course to show off the flogger's handiwork on their bodies.
Truly the mark of one who has fallen hard! And I expect the common folk would often be quite eager to see such toffs brought so low...

Back
Top Bottom