In praise of the pillory

Go to CruxDreams.com
"How do I look? Come on, you're so slow! We have to go to the next one soon, otherwise I'll run out of photos for my Instagram account! OK, looking great! Now release me and let's go... wait, where are you going? Hey! HEY! COME BACK!"

(own render partially inspired by this Wikipedia picture. I think it used to be an illustration on the Pillory page but mysteriously disappeared a few years ago. Can't imagine why!)

Attachments

• pillory_kneel.jpg
    pillory_kneel.jpg
    391 KB · Views: 1,289
...A rare occasion of a noble getting punished like a commoner. Lady Abigail's husband, Lord Burnford, having had enough of his wife's transgressions and constant nagging, decided to teach her a lesson. She was ordered to strip down to just her skirt and put into the pillory right there, on the town square, in view of the public. With a whip borrowed from the stables, the Lord gave her a thrashing she would never forget, getting cheered on by the passers-by.

The whipping wasn't the end of her ordeal: the Lord left his wife right there, in the pillory, for the rest of the day.

In the words of Thomas Woodford, a writer who was passing through the town on that day:

"... She may have been of noble blood, but there was nothing noble in Lady Abigail Burnford's appearance on that day. As she danced in the pillory under the masterful strikes of the Lord, she screamed and pleaded for mercy not unlike a servant girl getting whipped for breaking her Master's favourite cup. So jarring was the contrast between the usually calm and collected Lady and this pathetic wench that everyone on the Square on that day had to stop what they were doing and observe.

An inappropriate detail to be talked about normally -- but a detail so important and mesmerizing that I simply could not exclude it from my account -- were her majestic breasts, violently swaying as their owner desperately, to no avail, tried to avoid the whip. Scream after scream left the Lady's lungs as the whip coiled around her torso, striking precisely at her nipples, turning her upper body the colour of raw meat. I remember overhearing the giggles of some neighbourhood boys as they compared her swinging breasts to the udders of a cow: a comparison inappropriate but very much understandable given the situation.

Being a person of many responsibilities, I could not stay at the market square for long to observe the Lady being forced to spend multiple hours in the pillory, although later that evening at the pub I was told that the "udders" weren't just an object of discussion on that day. Unsurprising: one would almost expect the young men of the town to take advantage of the Lady's predicament. Allegedly, the Lord had outfit his wife with a chastity belt in order to deter any other amorous advances.

However, the blacksmith who made this belt told me later that the Lord 'was only interested in securing the front gate'. I'll leave it to you, my dear reader, to decipher what it meant."

Attachments

• pillory_whip_1.jpg
    pillory_whip_1.jpg
    389.8 KB · Views: 905
  • pillory_whip_2.jpg
    pillory_whip_2.jpg
    395.8 KB · Views: 830
  • pillory_whip_3.jpg
    pillory_whip_3.jpg
    392.7 KB · Views: 871
  • pillory_whip_4.jpg
    pillory_whip_4.jpg
    381.3 KB · Views: 1,018
However, the blacksmith who made this belt told me later that the Lord 'was only interested in securing the front gate'. I'll leave it to you, my dear reader, to decipher what it meant."
Never heard a lady scream like that when the young lad hiked her dress a did her... What? I can't say 'ass' around here?

...A rare occasion of a noble getting punished like a commoner. Lady Abigail's husband, Lord Burnford, having had enough of his wife's transgressions and constant nagging, decided to teach her a lesson. She was ordered to strip down to just her skirt and put into the pillory right there, on the town square, in view of the public. With a whip borrowed from the stables, the Lord gave her a thrashing she would never forget, getting cheered on by the passers-by.

The whipping wasn't the end of her ordeal: the Lord left his wife right there, in the pillory, for the rest of the day.

In the words of Thomas Woodford, a writer who was passing through the town on that day:

"... She may have been of noble blood, but there was nothing noble in Lady Abigail Burnford's appearance on that day. As she danced in the pillory under the masterful strikes of the Lord, she screamed and pleaded for mercy not unlike a servant girl getting whipped for breaking her Master's favourite cup. So jarring was the contrast between the usually calm and collected Lady and this pathetic wench that everyone on the Square on that day had to stop what they were doing and observe.

An inappropriate detail to be talked about normally -- but a detail so important and mesmerizing that I simply could not exclude it from my account -- were her majestic breasts, violently swaying as their owner desperately, to no avail, tried to avoid the whip. Scream after scream left the Lady's lungs as the whip coiled around her torso, striking precisely at her nipples, turning her upper body the colour of raw meat. I remember overhearing the giggles of some neighbourhood boys as they compared her swinging breasts to the udders of a cow: a comparison inappropriate but very much understandable given the situation.

Being a person of many responsibilities, I could not stay at the market square for long to observe the Lady being forced to spend multiple hours in the pillory, although later that evening at the pub I was told that the "udders" weren't just an object of discussion on that day. Unsurprising: one would almost expect the young men of the town to take advantage of the Lady's predicament. Allegedly, the Lord had outfit his wife with a chastity belt in order to deter any other amorous advances.

Great work @no-right-to-shoes, I especially like the last picture in the series (pillory-whip-#4) there’s something about the contrast between the rigid verticality of the pillory and the sinuous softness of the whipped woman’s pose and the folds of her dress… it just works for me! :sing:

Back
Top Bottom