Judicial Corporal Punishment Of Women: Illustrations

Go to CruxDreams.com
Thanks, @lithos1 -- that explains why the two dialogue lines are in French with an accent I could not place. Quebecois, then. Wikipedia mentions two separate women being flogged (and branded) after the first trial: "Marie-Josephte was found to be an accomplice to murder, and sentenced to 60 lashes and branded with the letter M on her hand. One of Joseph Corriveau's nieces, Isabelle Sylvain (who he employed as a servant), had testified but changed her story several times during the hearing; she was found guilty of perjury and given 30 lashes and branded with the letter P." In the clip, there is a second woman in a suspended cage, and although I can't entirely make out what she is saying I can understand her reference to "fer rouge", i.e. being branded. So, I presume the women being whipped is Isabelle and the woman in the cage is Marie-Josephte.
Maybe, but I red elsewhere that Marie Carriveau was flogged with 60 lashes divided in three series of twenty, and that seems to be what happens in the clip.

New guy to the site. This thread is excellent. I'd like to contribute some art that I have modified slightly. Here are a few for now. Thanks to Rudolph Preuss, Paula Meadows, and other unknown artists for their originals.
You can almost feel the thrashing the young girl will get from the matron for her second offence. A very sorry and howling aftermath no question

Back
Top Bottom