Judicial Corporal Punishment Of Women: Stories And Novels

Go to CruxDreams.com
This book and its table of contents looks like a manual for every dominant how a submissive woman should be treated in accordance with tradition. I would like it to be available here in a format that allows it to be transferred to Word and then translated into my native language. I would have a lot of pleasure in reading it.

Easily done. Just convert the EPUB into DOCX format using Calibre. I've just done that to make sure it works, but I'm not sure whether posting a 4.5MB DOCX file here complies with current forum rules. Should be no problem doing the conversion yourself, anyway.

This book and its table of contents looks like a manual for every dominant how a submissive woman should be treated in accordance with tradition. I would like it to be available here in a format that allows it to be transferred to Word and then translated into my native language. I would have a lot of pleasure in reading it.

Beast, here is a "trick" that many people do not know.

If you are using a Windows based computer, you change the filename of the epub so the extension ends in zip vs epub. Then click on the file name and you'll see all the files that make up the epub. There will be several folders so keep looking until you find the text. (Text will be stored as html or xhtml files.) Click on these individual files and your MS Edge browser should open and should automatically perform the translation for you.

If it does not, then you need to turn on the automatic translation feature in MS Edge.

Good luck!
Tired

PS: In this book there are a number of images. You can also grab the raw images without having to copy and paste.

Last edited:
Here are two samples from Pimm's book that I don't know whether to laugh or cry at.
I just wonder what bad stuff my namesake might have been smoking:

„Rape is the carnal abusing of a woman against her will.
But if the woman conceive upon any carnal abusing of her,
that is no rape, for she cannot conceive unless she consent.“

(Law or Discourse Thereof Sir Henry Finch 1627),

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Or this here:

„Second, because she was her husband’s property, in law a woman could not be raped by her husband:
But the husband cannot be guilty of rape committed by himself upon his lawful wife,
for by their mutual matrimonial consent and contract the wife hath given up herself in this kind unto herhusband,
which she cannot retract.“

(High Court Judge Sir Matthew Hale 1609-76)

from the book
Pimm, Geoffrey: „The Violent Abuse Of Women In 17th & 18th Century Britain“, page 56 and page 57

I found in Mozilla some program to translate books in epub format. Primm's book "The Violent Abuse of Women in 17th and 18th Century Britain" is great in many places. And of course have interestinf illustrations. Has anyone his prevoius book about Corporal Punishment of Woman in that format to read without paying for it?

Some historians have hinted that Marie Antoinette was instrumental in Jeanne receiving a much more severe sentence than than her co-conspirators, and that she, in fact, discreetly watched the punishment from a nearby apartment window.
Some contemporary reports suggest, that as the result of her struggles, Jeanne was actually branded on the breast.
Marie Antoinette was falsely accused by the French newspapers. She did not say, "Let them eat cake." that was twisted by the biased newspapers. She said, "If they do not have bread, I will give them cake." Marie was generous to her subjects and gave much of the royal treasury and her personal wealth to help them. She was hated by the aristocracy for this and also despised by the French press who hated the monarchy and the aristocrats.

"Lenchen im Zuchthause"

Hello Lenchen friends!

After I found the long sought-after treatise "Lenchen's Abschied", I announced here in the forum about a fortnight ago that I would be working hard to track down the lost original edition of "Lenchen im Zuchthause" and then publish the results here.
Well, I am still a long way from the final results, but I have achieved so much in the meantime that I would like to give you an interim report today:

1.)
Was mich zunächst sehr ärgerte wegen der nicht nachvollziehbaren Verhalten der DNB (114,- Euro für 42 Scans [von 407 Seiten!], die restlichen Seiten können nur in Leipzig vor Ort am Mikrofilmlesegerät eingesehen werden!), entpuppte sich dann aber als echter Glücksfall: Über einen ungewöhnlichen Weg über Belgien und die Schweiz wurde ich schließlich fündig, was unvergleichlich wertvoller ist als Scans von einem Mikrofiche (von ohnehin fragwürdiger Qualität):
I was able to come into possession of an extremely valuable book, namely the "unaltered reprint of the first edition from 1840"!!!

The book is now in my possession, contains all 407 pages of text, is bound in sturdy parchment book cartboard, head edge covered with gold leaf (Gilt head cut) and in best condition - see images.
It is a so-called subscription edition (probably 500 copies), each copy of which is individually numbered by hand.
A renowned master bookbinder from the bookbindery of Prof. Dr. Mohn in Trier, bookbinder master Mr André Gumprecht, clearly dated the book to the period between 1920 and 1930 after careful examination.
It is therefore certain that it is the following edition:

Title: "Lenchen im Zuchthause"
Subtitle: "Unaltered reprint of the first edition from 1840
Author: Wilhelm Reinhard
Year: 1920
Language: German
Printed by: Malsch & Vogel*, Karlsruhe
Publisher: (presumably) in Commission of the Groos'sche Buchhandlung A. Bielefeld, Karlsruhe
Text font: Book Antiqa Serif
Foreword by the author: yes
Signed by the author: no
Pages: 407
Images/Illustrations: none
Binding: Parchment on cardboard
Spine: vellum with handmade gold embossing
Paper: fine laid paper ("Büttenpapier")
Slipcase: none
Book jacket: none
Cut decorations: Gilt head edge, uncut front edge
Format: 8°
Weight: 684 gr
Condition: 1 A, no damage (unread book)
Addition: printed for subscription, edition probably 500 copies
Numbered copy: yes
OCLC number: 72036836

(* Note on the printing company Malsch & Vogel in Karlsruhe:
Unfortunately, even in libraries, archives and book registers, one repeatedly comes across the incorrect spelling "Maisch & Vogel". This is definitely wrong; the name of the company founded in 1838 was "Malsch & Vogel" after its founders Jakob Malsch and Johann Georg Vogel).

The book was still "virgin", i.e. unread, which was clearly shown by the following circumstance: 19 of the 205 double-page printed folded sheets had not yet been cut open (see photos), probably due to incorrect processing by the bookbinder at the time, so that I carefully did this myself after bookbinder André Gumprecht showed me how to do it professionally.

In the meantime, the entire book has been scanned twice on two professional machines in the Scanroom at the University of Trier and is currently being processed in Trier and in New York (!):
I have found valuable help and support for the entire editing of the work in the dedicated and experienced member @Tiredny, who will also be responsible for the entire translation into English. [At this point, a big thank you to you for the fantastic co-operation, Tired!]

I was able to "dig up" 5 personal files in the Baden General State Archive in Karlsruhe on the life and work of the hitherto largely unknown author, Wilhelm Emanuel Reinhard (1776 - 1858), from which I was able to obtain extremely important and highly interesting information on the person of the jurist and Baden State Councillor and member of the Baden legislature.
A early Reinhard's report on conditions in Baden's penitentiaries in the first half of the 19th century and two biographical writings by him also gave me a deep insight into his thoughts and work, which ultimately led to "Lenchen im Zuchthause" during his retirement.

While Tired and I are working on the publication of Lenchen's unabridged original story (correcting OCR reading errors / editing / formatting etc.) and Tired will later take over the stylish translation into English, I am working on a detailed review of the book and its author, which will put an end to all speculation and unanswered questions (is it an aesthetic novel? Is the story fictitious? Did Lenchen and the letters really exist? Is the ending of the story in the abridged editions embellished but in fact exactly the opposite? Why was the book censored and confiscated in the end of 1840, just a few months after publication? What is in the censored or deleted text passages? And much more...) should be answered.
In this context, I will also devote special space to an in-depth examination of the corporal punishment of women (and in particular the reasons for this) in German penitentiaries between 1800 and the first abolition of corporal punishment in 1848. After all, this is precisely what emerges from the censored text passages, so much can already be revealed.

In a few weeks I will report here on the final results and present my book review.
Tired will present his work himself in due course, and I don't want to pre-empt that or speak for him.

Attachments

• Lenchen Buch Nr. 350 - Bild 01.jpg
    Lenchen Buch Nr. 350 - Bild 01.jpg
    397.1 KB · Views: 52
  • Lenchen Buch Nr. 350 - Bild 02.jpg
    Lenchen Buch Nr. 350 - Bild 02.jpg
    399.9 KB · Views: 30
  • Lenchen Buch Nr. 350 - Bild 03.jpg
    Lenchen Buch Nr. 350 - Bild 03.jpg
    397.2 KB · Views: 32
  • Lenchen Buch Nr. 350 - Bild 04.jpg
    Lenchen Buch Nr. 350 - Bild 04.jpg
    399.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Lenchen Buch Nr. 350 - Bild 05.jpg
    Lenchen Buch Nr. 350 - Bild 05.jpg
    397.2 KB · Views: 32
  • Lenchen Buch Nr. 350 - Bild 06.jpg
    Lenchen Buch Nr. 350 - Bild 06.jpg
    395.5 KB · Views: 31
  • Lenchen Buch Nr. 350 - Bild 07.jpg
    Lenchen Buch Nr. 350 - Bild 07.jpg
    395.4 KB · Views: 33
  • Lenchen Buch Nr. 350 - Bild 08.jpg
    Lenchen Buch Nr. 350 - Bild 08.jpg
    396.8 KB · Views: 41
  • Lenchen Buch Nr. 350 - Bild 09.jpg
    Lenchen Buch Nr. 350 - Bild 09.jpg
    399.5 KB · Views: 42
  • Lenchen Buch Nr. 350 - Bild 10.jpg
    Lenchen Buch Nr. 350 - Bild 10.jpg
    399.5 KB · Views: 45
"Lenchen im Zuchthause"
And here is the second instalment of the book presentation:

Attachments

• Lenchen Buch Nr. 350 - Bild 11.jpg
    Lenchen Buch Nr. 350 - Bild 11.jpg
    398.2 KB · Views: 43
  • Lenchen Buch Nr. 350 - Bild 12.jpg
    Lenchen Buch Nr. 350 - Bild 12.jpg
    397.9 KB · Views: 42
  • Lenchen Buch Nr. 350 - Bild 13.jpg
    Lenchen Buch Nr. 350 - Bild 13.jpg
    397.6 KB · Views: 36
  • Lenchen Buch Nr. 350 - Bild 14.jpg
    Lenchen Buch Nr. 350 - Bild 14.jpg
    352.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Lenchen Buch Nr. 350 - Bild 15.jpg
    Lenchen Buch Nr. 350 - Bild 15.jpg
    393.4 KB · Views: 35
  • Lenchen Buch Nr. 350 - Bild 16.jpg
    Lenchen Buch Nr. 350 - Bild 16.jpg
    393.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Lenchen Buch Nr. 350 - Bild 17.jpg
    Lenchen Buch Nr. 350 - Bild 17.jpg
    398 KB · Views: 38
  • Lenchen Buch Nr. 350 - Bild 18.jpg
    Lenchen Buch Nr. 350 - Bild 18.jpg
    379.2 KB · Views: 40
  • Lenchen Buch Nr. 350 - Bild 19.jpg
    Lenchen Buch Nr. 350 - Bild 19.jpg
    392 KB · Views: 58
New story. Entails JCP for female young offenders (18+). Hope you like it.

New Hire

I was being hired at a Christian School for Wayward Girls with a strict code of corporal punishment. The State had issued a contract for the work to be done by the school.

The interview involved having to observe-- through a one-way mirror--the severe spanking of a lovely slender girl of about 18. I was left alone to see a long harsh beating of the girl’s bare buttocks with a thick leather riding crop.

It turns out that the code was in place for the behavior modification of delinquents assigned there by the criminal court for their delinquency offenses or for psychological treatment (which also required parental permission.) The punishments that day were assigned to a burly worker, Amos Abbott, by Dr. Eric Peterson, the director of the school. The punishment room was behind his office. My window was from the storeroom opposite it.

The room was equipped with a level cushioned spanking bench with straps to hold a girl, a heavy wooden ladder also with straps and an equally equipped trestle. The girl who was named Emily had a long dark pony tail. She was already mounted up on the ladder. I got there in time to see Amos gather up her purple school tunic and drape it up over one of the rungs, leaving her white cotton bikini butt in view. And next those were taken down to reveal a lovely firm set of girl cheeks--with the residual bruises from a prior punishment. Amos then gagged her with a white cloth.

Emily looked around at him as he went over the rack on the wall with about ten implements hanging from hooks—straps, paddles, short whips, etc.—where he retrieved the crop. He returned to her left and took up the crop and after a short lecture and details of how she would be spanked, he began to punish her bottom with hard even strokes. He raised his arm up high and swung down evenly with the crop to impact the lovely bottom. Strokes came at about ten second intervals.

Viewing the punishment was one of the most erotic things I ever saw. She bucked in her bonds under the intense swats. Her face distorted with the pain. She clenched and unclenched her butt cheeks. Her agony was palpable. Her buttocks went red, then purple in thick stripes that soon blended. I could see her vulva had become swollen and oozed. Made me wonder.

My erection was throbbing and I pulled it out of my pants. I began to masturbate, as I watched the punishment continue. Held off as long as I could, but I finally had a climax. It was superb, even as I watched the tears streaking down Emily’s cheeks. I had lost count of how many strokes she got, but it had to be close to 200. Oh my. But finally, it was over for her. I was amazed by how intense the punishment had been.

As I wiped up my sperm off the floor with my handkerchief and buttoned up my pants, I wondered if she would go back to her room to diddle herself, as she attempted to recover from her ordeal. I could see it in my mind’s eye.

The director continued with our discussion about my role at the school. Apart from teaching history and sociology, I would also be tasked to administer discipline on occasion. He wanted to know if I could care out that role with the same intensity shown by Amos. I didn’t hesitate to answer that I would and could.

He then said that he would have me do just that with a petite black girl, Wanda, who had been caught cheating a third time. She would receive 100 swats with a paddle while fixed over the trestle. He declared that I should show her no mercy, and to give her hard swats on her bare, firm, petite bottom. He said she needed to suffer for her repeated offense.

Interestingly, the idea of doing that to the girl gave me an erection, my second in less than an hour. Hah. Right then I knew that I was going to enjoy the job, for sure. Oh yeah.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Lenchen im Zuchthause"

Hello Lenchen friends!

After I found the long sought-after treatise "Lenchen's Abschied", I announced here in the forum about a fortnight ago that I would be working hard to track down the lost original edition of "Lenchen im Zuchthause" and then publish the results here.
Well, I am still a long way from the final results, but I have achieved so much in the meantime that I would like to give you an interim report today:

1.)
Was mich zunächst sehr ärgerte wegen der nicht nachvollziehbaren Verhalten der DNB (114,- Euro für 42 Scans [von 407 Seiten!], die restlichen Seiten können nur in Leipzig vor Ort am Mikrofilmlesegerät eingesehen werden!), entpuppte sich dann aber als echter Glücksfall: Über einen ungewöhnlichen Weg über Belgien und die Schweiz wurde ich schließlich fündig, was unvergleichlich wertvoller ist als Scans von einem Mikrofiche (von ohnehin fragwürdiger Qualität):
I was able to come into possession of an extremely valuable book, namely the "unaltered reprint of the first edition from 1840"!!!

The book is now in my possession, contains all 407 pages of text, is bound in sturdy parchment book cartboard, head edge covered with gold leaf (Gilt head cut) and in best condition - see images.
It is a so-called subscription edition (probably 500 copies), each copy of which is individually numbered by hand.
A renowned master bookbinder from the bookbindery of Prof. Dr. Mohn in Trier, bookbinder master Mr André Gumprecht, clearly dated the book to the period between 1920 and 1930 after careful examination.
It is therefore certain that it is the following edition:

Title: "Lenchen im Zuchthause"
Subtitle: "Unaltered reprint of the first edition from 1840
Author: Wilhelm Reinhard
Year: 1920
Language: German
Printed by: Malsch & Vogel*, Karlsruhe
Publisher: (presumably) in Commission of the Groos'sche Buchhandlung A. Bielefeld, Karlsruhe
Text font: Book Antiqa Serif
Foreword by the author: yes
Signed by the author: no
Pages: 407
Images/Illustrations: none
Binding: Parchment on cardboard
Spine: vellum with handmade gold embossing
Paper: fine laid paper ("Büttenpapier")
Slipcase: none
Book jacket: none
Cut decorations: Gilt head edge, uncut front edge
Format: 8°
Weight: 684 gr
Condition: 1 A, no damage (unread book)
Addition: printed for subscription, edition probably 500 copies
Numbered copy: yes
OCLC number: 72036836

(* Note on the printing company Malsch & Vogel in Karlsruhe:
Unfortunately, even in libraries, archives and book registers, one repeatedly comes across the incorrect spelling "Maisch & Vogel". This is definitely wrong; the name of the company founded in 1838 was "Malsch & Vogel" after its founders Jakob Malsch and Johann Georg Vogel).

The book was still "virgin", i.e. unread, which was clearly shown by the following circumstance: 19 of the 205 double-page printed folded sheets had not yet been cut open (see photos), probably due to incorrect processing by the bookbinder at the time, so that I carefully did this myself after bookbinder André Gumprecht showed me how to do it professionally.

In the meantime, the entire book has been scanned twice on two professional machines in the Scanroom at the University of Trier and is currently being processed in Trier and in New York (!):
I have found valuable help and support for the entire editing of the work in the dedicated and experienced member @Tiredny, who will also be responsible for the entire translation into English. [At this point, a big thank you to you for the fantastic co-operation, Tired!]

I was able to "dig up" 5 personal files in the Baden General State Archive in Karlsruhe on the life and work of the hitherto largely unknown author, Wilhelm Emanuel Reinhard (1776 - 1858), from which I was able to obtain extremely important and highly interesting information on the person of the jurist and Baden State Councillor and member of the Baden legislature.
A early Reinhard's report on conditions in Baden's penitentiaries in the first half of the 19th century and two biographical writings by him also gave me a deep insight into his thoughts and work, which ultimately led to "Lenchen im Zuchthause" during his retirement.

While Tired and I are working on the publication of Lenchen's unabridged original story (correcting OCR reading errors / editing / formatting etc.) and Tired will later take over the stylish translation into English, I am working on a detailed review of the book and its author, which will put an end to all speculation and unanswered questions (is it an aesthetic novel? Is the story fictitious? Did Lenchen and the letters really exist? Is the ending of the story in the abridged editions embellished but in fact exactly the opposite? Why was the book censored and confiscated in the end of 1840, just a few months after publication? What is in the censored or deleted text passages? And much more...) should be answered.
In this context, I will also devote special space to an in-depth examination of the corporal punishment of women (and in particular the reasons for this) in German penitentiaries between 1800 and the first abolition of corporal punishment in 1848. After all, this is precisely what emerges from the censored text passages, so much can already be revealed.

In a few weeks I will report here on the final results and present my book review.
Tired will present his work himself in due course, and I don't want to pre-empt that or speak for him.
This would be great! I can read some German, but a review and translation would be outstanding. Thanks.

I just wonder what bad stuff my namesake might have been smoking:
That wasn't the weirdest of his notions, it seems - at the time of James VI/I, 'the wisest fool in Christendom', nuttiness was all the vogue

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Finch_(died_1625)

Actually, his view of rape was relatively advanced for the time. Rape, raptus, had long meant a man having sex with an unmarried woman without her father's, or legal (male) guardian's consent - her view of the matter was of no significance!

New story. Entails JCP for older female juveniles. Hope you like it.

New Hire

I was being hired at a Christian School for Wayward Girls with a strict code of corporal punishment. The State had issued a contract for the work to be done by the school.

The interview involved having to observe-- through a one-way mirror--the severe spanking of a lovely slender girl of about 18. I was left alone to see a long harsh beating of the girl’s bare buttocks with a thick leather riding crop.

It turns out that the code was in place for the behavior modification of delinquents assigned there by the criminal court for their delinquency offenses or for psychological treatment (which also required parental permission.) The punishments that day were assigned to a burly worker, Amos Abbott, by Dr. Eric Peterson, the director of the school. The punishment room was behind his office. My window was from the storeroom opposite it.

The room was equipped with a level cushioned spanking bench with straps to hold a girl, a heavy wooden ladder also with straps and an equally equipped trestle. The girl who was named Emily had a long dark pony tail. She was already mounted up on the ladder. I got there in time to see Amos gather up her purple school tunic and drape it up over one of the rungs, leaving her white cotton bikini butt in view. And next those were taken down to reveal a lovely firm set of girl cheeks--with the residual bruises from a prior punishment. Amos then gagged her with a white cloth.

Emily looked around at him as he went over the rack on the wall with about ten implements hanging from hooks—straps, paddles, short whips, etc.—where he retrieved the crop. He returned to her left and took up the crop and after a short lecture and details of how she would be spanked, he began to punish her bottom with hard even strokes. He raised his arm up high and swung down evenly with the crop to impact the lovely bottom. Strokes came at about ten second intervals.

Viewing the punishment was one of the most erotic things I ever saw. She bucked in her bonds under the intense swats. Her face distorted with the pain. She clenched and unclenched her butt cheeks. Her agony was palpable. Her buttocks went red, then purple in thick stripes that soon blended. I could see her vulva had become swollen and oozed. Made me wonder.

My erection was throbbing and I pulled it out of my pants. I began to masturbate, as I watched the punishment continue. Held off as long as I could, but I finally had a climax. It was superb, even as I watched the tears streaking down Emily’s cheeks. I had lost count of how many strokes she got, but it had to be close to 200. Oh my. But finally, it was over for her. I was amazed by how intense the punishment had been.

As I wiped up my sperm off the floor with my handkerchief and buttoned up my pants, I wondered if she would go back to her room to diddle herself, as she attempted to recover from her ordeal. I could see it in my mind’s eye.

The director continued with our discussion about my role at the school. Apart from teaching history and sociology, I would also be tasked to administer discipline on occasion. He wanted to know if I could care out that role with the same intensity shown by Amos. I didn’t hesitate to answer that I would and could.

He then said that he would have me do just that with a petite black girl, Wanda, who had been caught cheating a third time. She would receive 100 swats with a paddle while fixed over the trestle. He declared that I should show her no mercy, and to give her hard swats on her bare, firm, petite bottom. He said she needed to suffer for her repeated offense.

Interestingly, the idea of doing that to the girl gave me an erection, my second in less than an hour. Hah. Right then I knew that I was going to enjoy the job, for sure. Oh yeah.
My dream job! I'd rather be a whipper in court or a women's prison, where I could mercilessly beat offenders' bare bottoms every day!

Thanks to Sir Henry's excellent work in finally obtaining Lenchen's Abschied (Nell's Farewell - An Addendum to Nell in Bridewell), we now have the entire work translated into English (all 96 pages)!

You'll find the entire story (and I find it most interesting) on:

Strict Spanking Stories

In addition, on this site you'll find links to download the original story Nell in Bridewell (Lenchen im Zuchthause) in both English and German.

Finally, please feel free to share your impressions of this addendum and whether you think it really "fits" with the original story.

Regards,
Tired

Last edited:
Thanks to Sir Henry's excellent work in finally obtaining Lenchen's Abschied (Nell's Farewell - An Addendum to Nell in Bridewell), we now have the entire work translated into English (all 96 pages)!

You'll find the entire story (and I find it most interesting) on:

Strict Spanking Stories

In addition, on this site you'll find links to download the original story Nell in Bridewell (Lenchen im Zuchthause) in both English and German.

Finally, please feel free to share your impressions of this addendum and whether you think it really "fits" with the original story.

Regards,
Tired
Kudos!! Thank you for access to such a wonderful addition to that novel. The Site is superb!! Cheers.

January, 1672

Alice Thomas, a wealthy entrepreneur in colonial Boston, Massachusetts, was accused of receiving stolen property, keeping a brothel and selling liquor without a license. A big Englishwoman with blonde hair, blue eyes and a pale complexion, Alice insisted on a jury trial, believing that her status as one of Boston’s wealthy elite would protect her, but she was in for a rude shock when she was convicted.

Alice was in for an additional shock when she learned that for her crime, she was to be fined 100 pounds—about 3,000 British pounds in today’s currency. Alice realized that the fine, combined with her business being shut down, would leave her nearly destitute.

Disastrous as this was, it was just the beginning. The judge admonished Alice for her crimes saying that in addition to paying a hefty fine, she would have to stand for an hour on the gallows with a noose around her neck. As she stood there, the judge would consider whether or not to order the trap door under her feet to be sprung. If she were still alive after an hour, she would then be stripped naked from the girdle up and given 39 lashes on her bare body as she was whipped to the prison, where she would spend a year at Hard Labour.

Alice stood on the gallows with a rope around her neck for one hour, blindfolded and not knowing whether or not she would be hung as she was taunted and insulted by the crowd of onlookers. When an hour had passed, she was still standing there, but her relief at surviving that ordeal was brief. For the degrading and painful part of her punishment was about to commence.

Although Boston was in the grip of a New England winter, with snow falling and a cold wind blowing, the judge’s sentence, based on the law, specified that Alice was to be stripped completely naked to the waist. and her hands were to be tied to the tail of a cart. Teenage apprentices were released from their work so they could experience a rare sight—most women wore long sleeves and covered everything up. But Alice would not only be naked to the waist, but also barefoot. So as the crowd watched in eager anticipation, her cloak was removed, then her bodice, and her arms were slipped out of the sleeves of her shift, which was pulled to the waist along with her undergarments. Alice’s pale arms, shoulders and breasts including her nipples, were bare for all to see as were her feet, and her lovely, angular and well-turned ankles. “You’ve got lovely ankles” someone shouted “Can’t wait to see you dance under the lash!”. Then her hands were made fast to the end of the cart.

As oxen slowly pulled the cart through the heckling crowd, snowflakes fell on the bare white arms and shoulders of the big Englishwoman as she bent under the lash. Alice screamed with every stroke as she was given 39 lashes with a heavy three-thonged whip as onlookers taunted and insulted her. Alice, once a member of Boston’s social elite, was enduring the public pain and indecent exposure meted out to the lowest and commonest miscreants. Her ordeal of public humiliation combined with agonizing, almost unbearable pain and bone-chilling cold, all combined, finally ended at the prison door.

For the next year, Alice would be set to backbreaking tasks such as spending the entire day beating hemp—and she would again feel the sting of the lash on her bare back on several occasions when she was caught violating prison rules.

Abigail White

In this Trask gang was Abigail White, a young Canadian woman. When Zatter Butterfield reported her "Strayed or Stolen" from the Newfane gaol the night of September 30, 1808, he described Abigail as "about six feet high, very straight, and very pleasing in her conversations and manners, light complexion, she was very genteely dressed, the last time she was seen in the custody of the gaoler, when she travels she commonly wears laced boots. . ."

Abigail White is famed as the last woman whipped in Vermont, on August 10, 1808 at five o'clock in the afternoon---then being imprisoned for the fifty-one days before her escape. Judge Royall Tyler had sentenced her to thirty-nine stripes with the cat o' nine tails, the fine and court costs.

A great crowd witnessed Abigail stripped to the waist, her bare breasts hanging free and her bare arms bound to the post with its crossbar near the top. The High Sheriff of Windham County, Mark Richards, and seven deputies set to, some delivering the lashes with force.

Deputy Lemuel Whitney gave two lashes as lightly as possible, but let his third lash fall as a gentle reminder that women were, by law, entitled to "their thirds"---his reference to the widow's share in one-third of her husband's estate.

According to eyewitness Charles K. Field, who was four years old then, "Near the close of the whipping her back became raw, and she suffered excessive pain and she shrieked and screamed terribly in her agony."

Ideal plot for tv series. After that beginning I would be a big fan of it;).
It might be better for an R-rated movie that would show Carolyn's public torture in graphic detail--her sweat-stained bare breasts bobbing, blood flowing down her back, her well-turned ankles and her bare feet moving as she does an obscene dance under the whip.

windar, excellent point on timing! In fact it's something I mentioned in an earlier post about Welcomes to a House of Correction. In Nell, the Welcome occurs long after the inmate arrives at the House of Correction. Then as you so eloquently put it this engenders that "delicious sense of dread and anticipation" that fills the time right up to execution.

In addition, this time period also allows inmates the opportunity to scheme and seek ways to circumvent or mitigate the dreadful Welcome. In Nell, we learn that the Governor (warden) can with the approval of the surgeon reduce the Welcome from a very severe public thrashing to a private bare bottom birching. This is a trade any inmate who witnessed a formal Welcome would gladly make.

Indeed, there is so much going on in Nell that it is a fascinating read. Now, if we could just get our hands on the sequel, I am confident that between Google translate and our German speaking members we could create an English version.

None the less the private bare bottom birching would still be a severe thrashing. With a well brine seeped birch and the girls bottom probably oiled with vinegar solution the screams from the punishment room could be widely heard across the building as the girls bottom and nates were fully covered with marks

None the less the private bare bottom birching would still be a severe thrashing. With a well brine seeped birch and the girls bottom probably oiled with vinegar solution the screams from the punishment room could be widely heard across the building as the girls bottom and nates were fully covered with marks

ianwarrick, you make excellent points. Yes, a birching is still a severe punishment. It is, however, the preferred method for young boys, young girls and inmates determined by the surgeon to be too delicate to withstand the bull's pizzle.

Two other points:

1. These birchings are carried out in the Governor's office as opposed to the main punishment hall open to other inmates and visitors​
2. They are usually dispensed by "a women's hand" as opposed to the male overseers who use the bull's pizzle​

At the very end of Nell's Farewell, the contrast between Nell's Welcome and her Farewell are clearly described in the infirmary. Here they discuss her recovery times.

ianwarrick, your point about the severity of birchings is also very clearly reinforced by the description of Nell's farewell. You can read in English, her story here:

Strict Spanking Stories

Back
Top Bottom