Judicial Corporal Punishment Of Women: Stories And Novels

Go to CruxDreams.com
Nell is one of the best CP books ever written. The description of Nell waiting and knowing what is going to happen to her nether cheeks as "The delicious sense of dread and anticipation" is what sets this novel apart.
A sequel where Nell's bottom is regularly inspected by the surgeon until it's deemed fit to receive a sound birching is what is required. I agree it shouldn't be beyond the ability of our contributors.

Well, I think that would be the obvious sequel to the Doris whipping story. After all, she did spend more than three years in the Spandau Spinnhaus after her whipping so would have experienced all sorts of corporal punishments there. As it was behind closed doors, the historical record isn't quite as good unfortunately.

One thing I am very excited about is that the Prussian State Archive is currently trialling a beta site which will eventually give full access to the collected daily edicts issued by Friedrich Wilhelm I. The scans and text are not yet accessible, but you can already search the index. For some reason, Doris's whipping order itself isn't there (but it has been in the public domain for almost two centuries), but we do have the appointment of her father to the post of Rector and Kantor at Potsdam in December 1729 -- she had lived in Potsdam for less than a month when she first got to know the Crown Prince -- her father's dismissal on 9 September 1730 (two days after the whipping), the appointment of his successor on 10 September 1730 and finally Doris's pardon issued in 1733. As a posthumous slander, the pardon is filed under the index category of "deserters - female accomplices", which is a crime she was almost certainly innocent of. Away from the Doris story, we have a fair number of other convictions of women to the Spinnhaus, including at least two unfaithful wives of noble officers (the Marquise de Ferrand in December 1729 and Margarethe von Wagner, the wife of Major von Wagner, in September 1729) -- there must be a story associated with that, but I can't find anything else about either of them online. Clearly, being sent to the Spinnhaus was a realistic risk for adulterous wives even if they had a higher status than Doris (who was a commoner).

Thanks, Jon and elphas. Using the online index to the King's edicts is a bit like collecting clues to piece together a crime story.

In respect of the Marquise de Ferrand, there are ten separate edicts concerning her or her husband in the index -- many more than for Doris, I note, presumably a reflection of the high status of her husband, the Marquis de Ferrand. According to the index, he was a "Kammerherr", which is the German for "chamberlain", a senior offical at the Royal Court. Here are the screenshots of the index:

View attachment 886413View attachment 886414

All these entries are dated between January and December 1729. The first entry in the list is:

Date: 20 December 1729
People: Adressed to Wilhelm Durham, public prosecutor. Concerns Marquise de Ferrand
Institutions: Prison (Spandau), Spinnhaus
Subject: Delinquents - Adulterers - Punishment

Three days later , 23 December, we have two edicts impounding the salary paid to the Marquis. On the second page we then get two documents in French dated 18 and 19 December addressed to the Marquis himself concerning "Delinquents - Adultery - Investigation". The final entry on the list, dated 23 December, is addressed again to the public prosecutor and concerns both the Marquis and the Marquise de Ferrand, with the subjects of "Delinquents - adulterers - punishment", "Delinquents - adulterers - banishment" and "Medals (or rank) - demotion". My reading of this is that three days after the wife was sent to the Spinnhaus in Spandau, the husband was dismissed from his position at court, broken in rank and expulsed from Prussia. Altogether, I think it adds up to a proper scandal at court about which I can't find anything else online.

Regarding Margarethe von Wagner and her husband, Major David Jakob von Wagner, we have nine separate index entries, as below:

View attachment 886416

The first of these is dated 1 September 1729, when the commander of the Spinnhaus at Spandau was asked to report on the female delinquent Margarethe von Wagner. We then get four separate documents dated between 4 February 1730 and 26 August 1732 concerning divorce proceedings between Margarethe and her husband, the first of which also has the index reference "Delinquents - officer's wife - investigation". Finally we get two documents on 24 June 1731 and 17 July 1732 concerning the Spinnhaus, filed under "Delinquents - officer's wife - treatment during incarceration" and "Delinquents - officer's wife - behaviour (conduct)". From which I conclude that Margarethe was in the Spinnhaus at Spandau for at least three years, during which time her husband divorced her and the King requested update reports on her conduct and treatment in prison at least three times. Her time in the Spinnhaus coincided almost exactly with Doris's, so we would think they would have known each other in shared misery. Again, there must be a story here but I can't find it online.

During my postings on Doris Ritter last year, I mentioned that the Prussian State Archive had a beta version of a new online site with an index to the collected daily edicts of King Friedrich Wilhelm I. That site is now finally open, complete with scans of the actual books in which copies of the edicts were noted down by the King's secretaries. Here is the link if anybody wants to do some archival research of their own:

The time covered by the site is very narrow, currently going from 1728 (when the King's edicts were for the first time formally collected for posterity) to 1733 -- later volumes to be added as and when the Archives get around to it. Handily, this exactly covers the period from Doris Ritter's arrest and flogging in September 1730 to her release from Spandau Spinnhaus in July 1733. Despite the short time period covered, the sheer number of edicts is overwhelming and gives a good impression at just how busy an early 18th century German ruler was micro-managing the high and low affairs of his state -- he was issuing edicts pretty much every day, even when travelling, and often dozens of them on a single day, adding up to 35,782 entries in the five years currently covered by the site, an average of about 20 per day.

As I said in my first post quoted above, the index shows only one edict specifically mentioning Doris Ritter by name. The actual edicts ordering her to be arrested, and to be flogged a few days later, are not included even though they have been in the public domain from other sources for almost 200 years . This is presumably because documents relating to the Katte scandal and subsequent trial were considered to be far too politically sensitive to be included in the normal administrative records and were instead kept in secret files (which we know to have been edited and partially destroyed by Friedrich II once he came to the throne in 1740).

The one edict on Doris Ritter that is in the newly opened archive of royal edicts is her pardon and release from the Spinnhaus, dated 11 July 1733. Here is the scan:

1733-07-11 Doris Entlassung.png

This is actually a longer text than I was expecting: her biographer said that Doris's father petitioned the King in 1733 (after the reconciliation between King and Crown Prince) to ask for her release, and he approved it by scribbling the single word "good" on the petition. The above entry would presumably be what the royal secretaries prepared to translate that one word decision into an order to be sent to the governor of the Spinnhaus. Unfortunately, my ability to read 18th century handwriting is not great -- what I can make out is roughly:

"To the Government at Spandau: His Royal Majesty orders the Government at Spandau in respect of (...) the former rector at Potsdam, Ritter's daughter (?), Dorothee Elisabeth Ritter, after swearing Urfehde to be released from her arrest at the Spinnhaus there, in that she shall be pardoned. Berlin, 11 July 1733"

There are several words that I cannot make out and I am not sure whether they add anything substantial to this. No mention of the cause for the original arrest, or any "Farewell" on release. The reference to "Urfehde" is an oath that offenders were made to swear to the effect that they will not re-offend, will comply with certain conditions of release (e.g. not enter the territory if they have been banished) and will not seek to revenge themselves on any officials, judges or witnesses, on pain of punishment for perjury (a capital offence). Basically, this was an early form of probation or parole. The fact that Doris was made to swear this makes it clear that this was something less than a full pardon and in particular did not clear her name or declare her innocent of the original charges. We know that after release from Spandau she was living with her family in the town of Neubrandenburg in Mecklenburg, i.e. outside the Kingdom of Prussia, and she did not return to Prussia until after the King's death in 1740. It is not clear whether her leaving the country was one of the conditions of her parole.

There are three other edicts related to Doris, although none of them mentions her name:

1. On 9 November 1929, the King wrote to the Potsdam Magistrate to ask them to appoint a new "rector, co-rector and cantor" for the Town School on recommendation from Professor Francke, the head of the theological faculty at the University of Halle. The edict is hard to read but appears to give details of the appointment process and says that the candidate was to be examined and that there was a probation period. In the event, the post went to Doris's father, although his name is not in the edict. This is what got Doris to Potsdam in the first place, with her family.

1729-11-09 Rektor Einstellung.png

2. On 9 September 1730, two days after Doris's flogging which took place on 7 September, the King wrote another edict to the Potsdam Magistrate, dismissing Doris's father from the post of rector and cantor. I had already posted this edict previously as a copy was kept in the Potsdam town archives and transcribed for the Wegener paper in the 1860s. The text is:

"His Royal Majesty in Prussia etc. Our gracious Lord has for the known reasons decided that the rector here of the school here at Potsdam is to be dismissed; Therefore direct the magistrate herewith to make this known to him, and also to write to Professor Francke at Halle that he shall send you a suitable man, as you have already sent order to Professor Francke to that effect.

Potsdam, the 9th September 1730"

As far as I can decipher it, the text of the hand-written edict appears to be word-for-word identical to the transcription in the Wegener paper. The wording neither says what the "known reasons" are (we know it was the arrest and shameful punishment of his daughter) nor gives his name, just his position.

1730-09-09 Rektor Entlassung.png1730-09-09 Rektor Entlassung 2.png

3. The following day, 10 September 1730, the King writes to Professor Francke asking him to recommend a new rector to replace the old one who
"can no longer be tolerated because of certain circumstances". Again, the reasons for the dismissal are not explicitly recorded, which suggests notwithstanding the very public manner of her flogging, the King didn't want to make the events surrounding her arrest and punishment a matter of public record -- as I have previously said, it is remarkable (and frustrating) that the King was happy to order her to be flogged but never put in writing what she was actually accused of. I cannot read everything in this edict, but it seems to be more concerned with the required qualifications and qualities of the incoming rector than with the events that led to the dismissal of the outgoing one.

1730-09-10 Neuer Rektor Suche.png

Last edited:
During my postings on Doris Ritter last year, I mentioned that the Prussian State Archive had a beta version of a new online site with an index to the collected daily edicts of King Friedrich Wilhelm I. That site is now finally open, complete with scans of the actual books in which copies of the edicts were noted down by the King's secretaries. Here is the link if anybody wants to do some archival research of their own:

The time covered by the site is very narrow, currently going from 1728 (when the King's edicts were for the first time formally collected for posterity) to 1733 -- later volumes to be added as and when the Archives get around to it. Handily, this exactly covers the period from Doris Ritter's arrest and flogging in September 1730 to her release from Spandau Spinnhaus in July 1733. Despite the short time period covered, the sheer number of edicts is overwhelming and gives a good impression at just how busy an early 18th century German ruler was micro-managing the high and low affairs of his state -- he was issuing edicts pretty much every day, even when travelling, and often dozens of them on a single day, adding up to 35,782 entries in the five years currently covered by the site, an average of about 20 per day.

As I said in my first post quoted above, the index shows only one edict specifically mentioning Doris Ritter by name. The actual edicts ordering her to be arrested, and to be flogged a few days later, are not included even though they have been in the public domain from other sources for almost 200 years . This is presumably because documents relating to the Katte scandal and subsequent trial were considered to be far too politically sensitive to be included in the normal administrative records and were instead kept in secret files (which we know to have been edited and partially destroyed by Friedrich II once he came to the throne in 1740).

The one edict on Doris Ritter that is in the newly opened archive of royal edicts is her pardon and release from the Spinnhaus, dated 11 July 1733. Here is the scan:

View attachment 1107733

This is actually a longer text than I was expecting: her biographer said that Doris's father petitioned the King in 1733 (after the reconciliation between King and Crown Prince) to ask for her release, and he approved it by scribbling the single word "good" on the petition. The above entry would presumably be what the royal secretaries prepared to translate that one word decision into an order to be sent to the governor of the Spinnhaus. Unfortunately, my ability to read 18th century handwriting is not great -- what I can make out is roughly:

"To the Government at Spandau: His Royal Majesty orders the Government at Spandau in respect of (...) the former rector at Potsdam, Ritter's daughter (?), Dorothee Elisabeth Ritter, after swearing Urfehde to be released from her arrest at the Spinnhaus there, in that she shall be pardoned. Berlin, 11 July 1733"

There are several words that I cannot make out and I am not sure whether they add anything substantial to this. No mention of the cause for the original arrest, or any "Farewell" on release. The reference to "Urfehde" is an oath that offenders were made to swear to the effect that they will not re-offend, will comply with certain conditions of release (e.g. not enter the territory if they have been banished) and will not seek to revenge themselves on any officials, judges or witnesses, on pain of punishment for perjury (a capital offence). Basically, this was an early form of probation or parole. The fact that Doris was made to swear this makes it clear that this was something less than a full pardon and in particular did not clear her name or declare her innocent of the original charges. We know that after release from Spandau she was living with her family in the town of Neubrandenburg in Mecklenburg, i.e. outside the Kingdom of Prussia, and she did not return to Prussia until after the King's death in 1740. It is not clear whether her leaving the country was one of the conditions of her parole.

There are three other edicts related to Doris, although none of them mentions her name:

1. On 9 November 1929, the King wrote to the Potsdam Magistrate to ask them to appoint a new "rector, co-rector and cantor" for the Town School on recommendation from Professor Francke, the head of the theological faculty at the University of Halle. The edict is hard to read but appears to give details of the appointment process and says that the candidate was to be examined and that there was a probation period. In the event, the post went to Doris's father, although his name is not in the edict. This is what got Doris to Potsdam in the first place, with her family.

View attachment 1107843

2. On 9 September 1730, two days after Doris's flogging which took place on 7 September, the King wrote another edict to the Potsdam Magistrate, dismissing Doris's father from the post of rector and cantor. I had already posted this edict previously as a copy was kept in the Potsdam town archives and transcribed for the Wegener paper in the 1860s. The text is:

"His Royal Majesty in Prussia etc. Our gracious Lord has for the known reasons decided that the rector here of the school here at Potsdam is to be dismissed; Therefore direct the magistrate herewith to make this known to him, and also to write to Professor Francke at Halle that he shall send you a suitable man, as you have already sent order to Professor Francke to that effect.

Potsdam, the 9th September 1730"

As far as I can decipher it, the text of the hand-written edict appears to be word-for-word identical to the transcription in the Wegener paper. The wording neither says what the "known reasons" are (we know it was the arrest and shameful punishment of his daughter) nor gives his name, just his position.

View attachment 1107845View attachment 1107846

3. The following day, 10 September 1730, the King writes to Professor Francke asking him to recommend a new rector to replace the old one who
"can no longer be tolerated because of certain circumstances". Again, the reasons for the dismissal are not explicitly recorded, which suggests notwithstanding the very public manner of her flogging, the King didn't want to make the events surrounding her arrest and punishment a matter of public record -- as I have previously said, it is remarkable (and frustrating) that the King was happy to order her to be flogged but never put in writing what she was actually accused of. I cannot read everything in this edict, but it seems to be more concerned with the required qualifications and qualities of the incoming rector than with the events that led to the dismissal of the outgoing one.

View attachment 1107847
That is really interesting document. However I guess that the punishment you are searching information for wasnt actually documented well due to the political and spontaneous matter of this flogging. And of course the events in Spanhaus werent documented at all because no one gives a damn about minor prisoners.

"The Punishment of Belle Sauvage" by M. Lyttleton (Richard Manton)

View attachment 1040388

Charleston, South Carolina, times of slavery. Colonel Ashbee, a plantation owner and member of Charleston high society, maintains discipline among his female slaves with severe punishment. He sends the most guilty girls for formal punishment to a whipping house ...

A related Manton's novel on this topic is "Fancy Girl" ("Miss Jolly").

View attachment 1040387

Another book on corporal punishment in the United States during the time of slavery: Jean de Virgans. Corrections féminines. Souvenirs d'un médecin français. Paris, 1908.
Events also take place in South Carolina, in the mid-19th century. The main character is a young French doctor employed by the owner of a whipping house.

View attachment 1040304View attachment 1040305View attachment 1040306View attachment 1040307View attachment 1040308View attachment 1040309
Do you have Corrections féminines in electronic format btw? Have been searching for this book for a while

Do you have Corrections féminines in electronic format btw? Have been searching for this book for a while

Wow! Thank you man! How did you get it?)

Market Day Judgement
By Michaela Francis

Four girls were sentenced by a local court to a harsh whipping in the market square for indecent behavior. Dominique, Anna and Natasha will receive one hundred lashes each, and the main character, a foreign girl who corrupted the other girls, the judge appointed a special punishment.

Poor little Dominique screams in pain as the whip curls about her nakedness, hangs for a moment and falls away leaving another white line, which rapidly turns red and swells, upon the soft flesh of her small body. Suspended by her wrists from the cross piece across the dais, her feet nearly two foot above the boards and her legs spread wide by the ropes at her ankles, the petite girl struggles futilely, throwing her head from side to side in agony as she howls maniacally. She is taking her whipping badly. The pompous court official, stood to the left of the dais, whose task this day is to keep tally of the sentence applied, has just announced the thirtieth lash in his sonorous voice. The small girl writhing in her bonds must yet face another seventy. A part of me wishes that I could feel compassion for her suffering; pity her in her ordeal. But compassion is selfish this market day. Shuddering in fear as I watch another lash of the whip lacerate her body, I feel only sorrow for myself, for, when her punishment is completed, I am to be next.

Attachments

• Market Day Judgement.pdf
    273.3 KB · Views: 538
An English Doctor. How Women are Flogged in Russian Prisons. Paris: Librairie des Bibliophiles, 1899.
image00001.jpg
Unfortunately we do not have the English text, but there is a French version, which was published by Charles Carrington in "Curiosités et Anecdotes sur la flagellation" (1900) under the pseudonym "Jean de Villiot". A young English doctor visits a penitentiary in Tomsk in 1880 and is present at the official birching of a 25-year-old girl.

elephas, I took the liberty of creating an English version of "Flogging in Russia" by Jean de Villiot. I used a machine translation and then was fairly easily able to figure out the errors in translation. Below is NOT a perfect translation, but I believe I've captured the essence of the good doctor's letter.

Regards,
Tired

Attachments

• Flogging in Russia-Villiot.docx
    25.7 KB · Views: 346
elephas, I took the liberty of creating an English version of "Flogging in Russia" by Jean de Villiot. I used a machine translation and then was fairly easily able to figure out the errors in translation. Below is NOT a perfect translation, but I believe I've captured the essence of the good doctor's letter.

Regards,
Tired
TiredNY, thanks for translating this story! As you known, corporal punishment for women was abolished in Russia in 1863, but de facto this ban was often violated.
There is a lot of good material on the topic of JCP in languages other than English, some of the texts are quite large so the use of online translators is essential. For example, there are many long texts in Chinese that I think would be of interest to our readers.

TiredNY, thanks for translating this story! As you known, corporal punishment for women was abolished in Russia in 1863, but de facto this ban was often violated.
There is a lot of good material on the topic of JCP in languages other than English, some of the texts are quite large so the use of online translators is essential. For example, there are many long texts in Chinese that I think would be of interest to our readers.
Of course, Singapore has never caned women, but that hasn't stopped us from writing stories about it! I would love to read some of those translated Chinese stories...

Regards,
Tired
Thank you for translating such an interesting story. Even if it only contains an element of truth it made good reading.

Back
Top Bottom