Language in this part of the forum: English. Only pics and some text of crucified women here.

Go to CruxDreams.com
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have deleted a message that was written in Italian I guess.
This part of the forum is english only.

At least one moderator of an other section does not mind, I do.
English only or foreign language with english translation is permitted.
No ecxepetions
I understand. Do you know sites in other language (French, for example).
Thnak you

I can't help you there, maybe others can -
but note that it doesn't have to be good English,
even Google English or other auto-translation is OK,
and there are several of us here who are happy to help.

Uhm ... not exactly this topic here, but:
In the story thread of Doragon 'The ordeals of Alisa Foxen' she had the story translated into German -
but as far as I looked I saw no reasoning for this, none at all. Only Doragon then posted like "I will now
read in German.
Ok, German was "the language of Goethe and Schiller" - means: was one cultivated literature language -
today many Germans can't compete with the 'Bild-Zeitung' a German equivalent of the British 'Sun' or
the like maybe, anyways a paper that strictly avoids sentences demanding a comma or any other gram.
complication, they write Subject, Predicate, Object full stop. They do that in order theis readers can read
them.
So, why translated into German? No, I don't say anything about the language quality here, at the thread
some time or other or neither.
Still, my question is: p--l--e--a--s--e :::
w-h-y this eye in the sky ??
Domodonno
(this is German, English or It, Fr, Es, could even be Pl ... hu? no, not Ru)
edit:
sorry, forgot: American of course, how could I ...
- no?
- oh!

What is your beef with someone translating a story into german?

AFAIK the rule is English is compulsory and any translation is permitted provided the text is also available in english.
So if you want to translate a text to any language it is permissible.
Of course the author him/her self can have objections, but I figure most will not object if you credit them as original artists.

I myself have no objections with for example @SkinnyCrux translating some of my short stories/blurbs into german.
If anyone wants to translate something into any other language: russian chinese, korean or even swahili please make sure the original author is ok with it before you put the hours in for translating :)
I myself can write 3 languages and read 2 additional ones, but allways publish my stuff in english->(not my first language)

I dont get your "eye in the sky" reference.

Last edited:
If a member wishes to provide a version of their story in a language other than English, they can upload it in pdf of WordDoc form as an attachment to the English version. Also, at least for really good stories translated from another language, the original can be added to the Archive as well as the English version.

There are conversation groups for speakers of most of the widely-used European languages - if any member would like to join one, please contact me or any staff member. (Some of the groups are much bigger and more active than others)

Ok, sorry I often glide away into the at least partly humorous - yet the core of my question was
First - why
would you want your story translated?
For instance:
First
-A- do you think this would allow you to reach more people much interested in it. Yet what's your benefit if you need a translator you obviously don't speak that language and if not some of these people speak your language you wouldn't even get what they're thinking about the story; however then the circle closes since then they could probably read your story as written - no?
-B- do you have a connection to the language it is being translated into - which?
Second
If this is an accepted way - as I learned now, thank you Eulalia! - to post your story in a second (th...) language - then I might have my stories written in German translated and be posted, if accepted, here. I could translate them myself - yet, puuh, that typing! For me it's a burden, and normally I would thus just waive it off!. Since just Ger is not accepted, again as I learned now, but had already thought so, I'd leave it alone was my idea. Now I see a silver stripe on the horizon, that's all. My experience with translations is that a story, even more a poet, suffers in language quality and I wouldn't want to have that. I have read your story, crumera, just in German and I have to say it changes from literature language to the lowest steet talk in unexpected ways. This produces a ... uhm ... not so advantageous effect that mildly put, draws attention away from the content.
This happens in print media, too. I was asked to translate one book on Himalaya tours from Eng to Ger and while at it I noticed that some of the descriptions of the paths to be used could not be correct, or the trekkers would go round in circles. I took the effort and followed the descriptions on very precise smaler scale maps and then found another phenmenon: some branching off was not found on the map, but other forks were there a couple of miles further on. Following the designated non-existing fork where described it was supposed to be ("at the farmhouse" in this case) would lead the trekkers into a gorge of a creek and in danger. I decided I had to tell the publication what I found. At first they put it down ("well one or two isolaed cases" - to me these would be one or two too many considering what it could mean losing your way in the Himalaya). So I made detailed notes on each case I found: where and what, description - in the end I had over 200 cases, some of them really tricky, means you had no way of finding out what was wrong!
(you see, my tendency of warning of dangers goes back further than my participation in this site ;-) ) In the end the publication stopped this project and then I had to fight to get my honorary, the judge gave them the whip in adding up my honorary by just that amount the publisher had intended to cut it down, something to put up a vage grin.

Domodonno

Adding some white space in you lengthy text could improve readability. IMHO
(Dyslexia)
Any translation will change the tone/feeling of the original, yes.
Jokes and puns sometimes lose their meaning. Poetry suffers even more.
I would never translate my own work myself because of this loss of quality.

But if someone wants to translate my texts, I personally don't have objections.
But in my eyes, if you can read the original language in which a piece is written, don't bother reading a translation.
You always lose quality, no matter what.

Even translations in movies, documentaries and series etc on Real life tv, cinema and books are often very bad.
Even worse in some countries they even dub actor voices by a native speaker.

Do i like translations in general?
No

Do I object to translations?
No

Is there a use for translations?
Yeah!!

Adding some white space in you lengthy text could improve readability. IMHO
(Dyslexia)
Any translation will change the tone/feeling of the original, yes.
Jokes and puns sometimes lose their meaning. Poetry suffers even more.
I would never translate my own work myself because of this loss of quality.

But if someone wants to translate my texts, I personally don't have objections.
But in my eyes, if you can read the original language in which a piece is written, don't bother reading a translation.
You always lose quality, no matter what.

Even translations in movies, documentaries and series etc on Real life tv, cinema and books are often very bad.
Even worse in some countries they even dub actor voices by a native speaker.

Do i like translations in general?
No

Do I object to translations?
No

Is there a use for translations?
Yeah!!
Well, I won't try to defend my modest efforts, but it is possible for a (human) translator to create a text in the new language that captures and conveys something of the spirit of the original, and to produce a translation that's a work of quality in itself. It's not easy, I can sometimes spend a long time wrestling with a single word, a phrase, an idiom, seeking what in English might match, not just the literal sense, but the register, connotations, hidden meanings. But I feel it's worthwhile, a little pride when I think I've produced something that reads well, and I do enjoy reading the work of other skilled translators, I think they're often under-appreciated (I mean in the world of literature generally, here on CF I've no complaints!)

Uhm ... not exactly this topic here, but:
In the story thread of Doragon 'The ordeals of Alisa Foxen' she had the story translated into German -

I did not ask for any translation. But I also didn't object when it was brought to my attention that someone wanted to translate it.

but as far as I looked I saw no reasoning for this, none at all.

The reason for this is anybody's guess. Maybe the translator liked my story? Anyways, there was no request for this, it was an initiative of the translator and I appreciate that initiative.

Only Doragon then posted like "I will now
read in German.

I mentioned that I would read it, that I can read German and therefor can form an opinion about the translation. If somebody would translate it in Japanese, I am sorry, I wouldn't know if the translation was any good.

I have read the translation and I liked the experience of getting my own story back to me in another language. It felt new and fresh and I enjoyed the experience. I also felt it was a compliment to my work, that somebody put in so much time to rewrite it in another language.

Well, I won't try to defend my modest efforts, but it is possible for a (human) translator to create a text in the new language that captures and conveys something of the spirit of the original, and to produce a translation that's a work of quality in itself. It's not easy, I can sometimes spend a long time wrestling with a single word, a phrase, an idiom, seeking what in English might match, not just the literal sense, but the register, connotations, hidden meanings. But I feel it's worthwhile, a little pride when I think I've produced something that reads well, and I do enjoy reading the work of other skilled translators, I think they're often under-appreciated (I mean in the world of literature generally, here on CF I've no complaints!)
Agreed!
Yeah it is not impossible to do well, but quite difficult and time intensive to do well.

I did not ask for any translation. But I also didn't object when it was brought to my attention that someone wanted to translate it.

The reason for this is anybody's guess. Maybe the translator liked my story? Anyways, there was no request for this, it was an initiative of the translator and I appreciate that initiative.

I mentioned that I would read it, that I can read German and therefor can form an opinion about the translation. If somebody would translate it in Japanese, I am sorry, I wouldn't know if the translation was any good.

I have read the translation and I liked the experience of getting my own story back to me in another language. It felt new and fresh and I enjoyed the experience. I also felt it was a compliment to my work, that somebody put in so much time to rewrite it in another language.
Ok, Doragon

Fine, I see now.
You may - if you are friendly - take into account my comparative ignorance to keywords that in the minds
of the knowing professional punishers automativally trigger a cascade of scenarios.
I am but an occasional volunteer whipper and even then if the crucified starts moaning and I've whipped
her to orgasm, exhaustively, I might stop and to the high bafflement of the inclined audience take her down,
wipe over her wounds which makes them close and heal instantly - sorcerer's power, don't ask me to explain -
and take her in my car on some super soft cushions to an Italian Café, invite her to cappuccino, Amaretto or
Tiramisu and whatever she likes to have to 'normalize' her and be generally nice to her until one of her old
f/m ppg (professional prison guard) shows up, then quick take ... ah, but you can finish this better than I.
:spank:
Domodumbo

uhm -- if Eulalia translated it, I feel obliged to intensely brush away and wipe out
any of my critics in this case.
So, never mind my inutile comments, forget, and remember Bobby the Dylaman:
Don't think twice - it awe's right!

Last edited:
Ok, Doragon

Fine, I see now.
You may - if you are friendly - take into account my comparative ignorance to keywords that in the minds
of the knowing professional punishers automativally trigger a cascade of scenarios.
I am but an occasional volunteer whipper and even then if the crucified starts moaning and I've whipped
her to orgasm, exhaustively, I might stop and to the high bafflement of the inclined audience take her down,
wipe over her wounds which makes them close and heal instantly - sorcerer's power, don't ask me to explain -
and take her in my car on some super soft cushions to an Italian Café, invite her to cappuccino, Amaretto or
Tiramisu and whatever she likes to have to 'normalize' her and be generally nice to her until one of her old
f/m ppg (professional prison guard) shows up, then quick take ... ah, but you can finish this better than I.
:spank:
Domodumbo

uhm -- if Eulalia translated it, I feel obliged to intensely brush away and wipe out
So, never mind my inutile comments, forget, and remember Bobby the Dylaman:
Don't think twice - it awe's right!
No, that piece wasn't my work - I was responding, in a slightly defensive mode, for which I apologise, to Crumera's general comment about translations. But I appreciate that he wasn't intending to condemn all translators. And anyway, I'm here to be condemned - what else would a girl come to CruxForums for? :)

SkinnyCrux translated it and has translated lots of stories on this forum.

No, that piece wasn't my work - I was responding, in a slightly defensive mode, for which I apologise, to Crumera's general comment about translations. But I appreciate that he wasn't intending to condemn all translators. And anyway, I'm here to be condemned - what else would a girl come to CruxForums for? :)
First part - ok, that's settled.
Second part - not-so-settled.
Who ever wants to understand
will do so,
who doesn't understand
just doesn't -
I will not go any deeper into it.
DomoDonno

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom