Language

Go to CruxDreams.com

Ducans

Governor
I agree with the rules of this Forum. English must be the common spoken language.I find exception can only been made when the text refers to a specific purpose like a poem or a drawing context.
I 've seen enough quarrels in politics about languages, this on different continents.
This site gives me the opportunity to relax so keep it on.
If some wants to speak their own language between them, they can start a private conversation .
So, the boss IS right.
Greetings from a resolute girl...flower2

I agree with the rules of this Forum. English must be the common spoken language.I find exception can only been made when the text refers to a specific purpose like a poem or a drawing context.
I can only second that, but would like to emphasize the point you are making about contributions:
Artists should be allowed to publish in their own language.
I am sure there will be volunteers who do the translation then. (Asking costs nothing!)

Reason: If you are forced into a foreign language, the finer points are getting lost, unless you are really good! I have seen that a number of times.
As long as it is German, French or Italian I for one will be glad to help translating in English.
Not claiming that I am able to "transport" all finer points, but as the original is there, nothing is lost at least.

I can only second that, but would like to emphasize the point you are making about contributions:
I am sure there will be volunteers who do the translation then. (Asking costs nothing!)

Reason: If you are forced into a foreign language, the finer points are getting lost, unless you are really good! I have seen that a number of times.
As long as it is German, French or Italian I for one will be glad to help translating in English.
Not claiming that I am able to "transport" all finer points, but as the original is there, nothing is lost at least.

I think you make a valid point which was covered some while ago. The suggested compromise was to publish in the native language alongside an English translation even if several finer points are lost. That way all posts are still in English and the inferior version can be edited out and replaced at a later date.

I think you make a valid point which was covered some while ago. The suggested compromise was to publish in the native language alongside an English translation even if several finer points are lost. That way all posts are still in English and the inferior version can be edited out and replaced at a later date.
Why not allowing publishing without the english translation, because that's a hurdle yet.
Would you publish something if you were not at all sure if the translation is more or less correct?
Many people won't.
And, quite frankly, illustration are speaking for themselves, even if the text is in a foreign language.

I agree with the rules of this Forum.
Thank you for your support ;)
But then the other members of the forum will not be able to understand what is at stake.

As an exception, the main post should be in English and in the attached file, you can do in their native language.

English is not my native language. Imagine if the forum was in Russian? ;)
Use http://translate.google.com and you will not have problems.

ImageMaker wishes to avoid groups setting up their cliques with "in" jokes etc. This is a Forum open to all nationalities, creeds etc. where anyone can join in . I honestly cannot see anything wrong with publishing in your own language provided it comes with a translation in English. I can't remember the author off hand but Hans (Dutch) translated from German to English and Eulalia (Scottish) refined the story. If the text is in one of the main European languages then using the translate.google.com facility is fast and simple . It would obviously gain more attention.

ImageMaker wishes to avoid groups setting up their cliques with "in" jokes etc. This is a Forum open to all nationalities, creeds etc. where anyone can join in . I honestly cannot see anything wrong with publishing in your own language provided it comes with a translation in English. I can't remember the author off hand but Hans (Dutch) translated from German to English and Eulalia (Scottish) refined the story. If the text is in one of the main European languages then using the translate.google.com facility is fast and simple . It would obviously gain more attention.
Scotland was one of the most beautifull places I visited and I like their accent. Therefore I wrote that poems should be able to be published in the native language.... and indeed I agree with your statement.:)

Scotland was one of the most beautifull places I visited and I like their accent. Therefore I wrote that poems should be able to be published in the native language.... and indeed I agree with your statement.:)
Thankyou Ducans, guid tae ken ye liked oor bonnie land!
Really we have three 'Scottish' languages -
1 Scottish English, i.e. Standard English with a Scottish accent and a few distinctive words and turns of phrase;
2 Scots (or Lallans), a sister-language of English that was spoken by the Scottish court until James VI moved to London in 1604 and became James I of the United Kingdom; it was the language of the great 15th-16th cent poets (Makars!) like Henryson and Dunbar; it remains (in various dialects) the language of the Lowlands, and of writers like Robert Burns; I'd happily write in Scots, but most Cruxers, even English-speakers, would find it quite hard to understand, I think ImageMaker would be correct to ban it as a foreign language, not English;
3 Scottish Gaelic, a Celtic language, sister to Irish Gaelic (and the now dead Manx of the Isle of Man), language of the Highlands and (Hebridean) Islands, still alive in the Western Isles and a few places in the Inner Hebrides and Mainland - it's a completely different language from English or Scots, that no-one on CF would understand (unless they happen to speak it or Irish)

I very much agree with ImageMaker and Melissa. I do think, though, that there could be little exceptions for:
1 Poems - if they're posted in the original language with a literal (even Googlese) translation - as Melissa says, I've polished up some English versions and I'm sure others will help in the same way;
2 Text appearing in pictures - provided it's just a minor addition to the image (I'm thinking of the bits of French and Latin in some of Ducans' drawings)

Hi.
I think your exceptions are perfectly acceptable. We have a staff forum which is invisible to members but we do need to have administrator meetings now and again to agree such proposals and put them into practice. Basically we all need to sing from the same hymn sheet. We shall work on this.

If these thing are posted in there own special place that would be great if someone could translate them all the better.

P.S . Much thanks to Eulalia and everyone who has helped with this in the past.

2 Text appearing in pictures - provided it's just a minor addition to the image (I'm thinking of the bits of French and Latin in some of Ducans' drawings)
That's exactly what I was suggesting... (maybe not clearly enough), but your addition regarding poems is a good one.
Any maybe it could make sense to add a "looking for translations" subforum where authors can find helpers...

Thankyou Ducans, guid tae ken ye liked oor bonnie land!
Really we have three 'Scottish' languages -
1 Scottish English, i.e. Standard English with a Scottish accent and a few distinctive words and turns of phrase;
2 Scots (or Lallans), a sister-language of English that was spoken by the Scottish court until James VI moved to London in 1604 and became James I of the United Kingdom; it was the language of the great 15th-16th cent poets (Makars!) like Henryson and Dunbar; it remains (in various dialects) the language of the Lowlands, and of writers like Robert Burns; I'd happily write in Scots, but most Cruxers, even English-speakers, would find it quite hard to understand, I think ImageMaker would be correct to ban it as a foreign language, not English;
3 Scottish Gaelic, a Celtic language, sister to Irish Gaelic (and the now dead Manx of the Isle of Man), language of the Highlands and (Hebridean) Islands, still alive in the Western Isles and a few places in the Inner Hebrides and Mainland - it's a completely different language from English or Scots, that no-one on CF would understand (unless they happen to speak it or Irish)

I very much agree with ImageMaker and Melissa. I do think, though, that there could be little exceptions for:
1 Poems - if they're posted in the original language with a literal (even Googlese) translation - as Melissa says, I've polished up some English versions and I'm sure others will help in the same way;
I just wonder if it's right that James I is the first of the Stuart dynasty, after Elisabeth I ended the Tudor dynasty? Thanks

:D

I just wonder if it's right that James I is the first of the Stuart dynasty, after Elisabeth I ended the Tudor dynasty? Thanks
Yes Ducans, he was James I, first of the Stuart dynasty of England and the UK,​
but before the Union of the Crowns he was James VI of the Stewart (Scots spelling) dynasty of Scotland.​

Please post in English on the main forums.

Crucificateur is asking Bartnel if he can send him some stories to illustrate, Bartnel replies, 'of course you can, but I am not guaranteeing what I'll do with them!'
Sorry about that :confundio1:

Is it really forbidden? (after all, Google translator can be used by everybody, I suppose...)

It is less effort for the poster of the message as for all reader to look it up ;)

Is it really forbidden? (after all, Google translator can be used by everybody, I suppose...)
It is so written in the book of the Rules of Cruxforums, which we moderators do our best to uphold. To be fair, on line translators have got better, but exactly as @crumera says, the writer only has to translate it once, and most members come here expecting to see English.

We just banned someone who insisted on posting in Russian despite several warnings to the contrary. I'm not issuing any warnings here; it was just two Frenchmen having a chat which I think you've now taken forward as a private conversation. Nobody meant any harm or offence.

Well... I suppose everybody does his best. And I know that people wait for my words a lot less than for my images and animations, right? ;)
You know I hang onto every syllable of your words and every pixel of your images, Bartnel! ;)

Not completely forbidden, but also reluctantly seen. Someone will tell you that the language on the Mainforum is English. I think it has happened to every non-English speaking CF member that they have posted in their own language. (Unfortunately it happened to me already). But anyone who refuses to use English could be banned.

Back
Top Bottom