Long, short or ground-level cross?

Long, short or ground-level cross?

• I'm the magistrate or executioner and I say fuck the budget, long crosses are powerful and exemplary

Votes: 18 12.9%
  • I'm a member of the public and I also want to see the condemned in the long cross.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I'm the condemned and I'd prefer to suffer up there in the long cross.

Votes: 32 23.0%
  • I'm the magistrate or executioner and I'd use the short cross, like 7 feet / 210 cm tall or so.

Votes: 23 16.5%
  • I'm a member of the public and I also want to see the condemned a bit closer, in the short cross.

• I'm the condemned and I'd prefer to suffer in the short cross, closer to the people.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • I'm the magistrate or executioner and I say crucify the guilty P.O.S. on the cheap at ground level.

Votes: 15 10.8%
  • I'm a member of the public and I prefer to see the P.O.S. close and personal at ground level too.

Votes: 12 8.6%
  • I'm the condemned and I think I should be crucified at ground level too.

• ...and let the people have fun afterwards.

Votes: 31 22.3%

• Total voters
Go to CruxDreams.com
cross x.jpgcross x1.jpg

Personally if I agree, and I share the opinions posted here before, I am rather in favor of the crucifixion on a cross of St. Andrew. Why? Because the body of the tortured (man or woman) is entirely exposed in its smallest details.
I think this type of cross should be short and put at ground level. It was certainly not used for crowd executions because it is a little more complicated to assemble.
I imagine its use in more private performances where spectators had the opportunity to see the suffering of the crucified up close. One can imagine a victim tied with ropes or fixed with nails.

I like high and low crosses and everything in between.
limiting my fantasy to one choice seems so restrictive either as executioner or as public.

Guess the same applies to victim preference I would guess for people who are into that.

Yep, this is how I feel too. My favourite is ground level (easier access to every part of their body for various kinds of violation), but I like all 3.
I also like a 4th option, kind of a mix of ground & short. It's a ground-height cross, but with a raised platform underneath. Everyone still gets a great view and there's easy access to the condemned's body. Like this, but imagine a cross instead of the frame:
scaffold-execution-death-penalty-gallows-to-fortress-78646662.jpg

It would also be fun to nail someone's wrists to the top of the frame too (designed to have adjustable height, so that the condemned's feet don't quite reach the platform). Nice quick execution and easy access to both sides of their body.

The problem with low level crucifying apart from the fact it's not that visible (one of the important features of such an execution) is that, yes, the victims are easy to get at to inflict sadistic abuse, but because of that they would be too easy to be put out of their misery by sympathetic friends or relatives unless attentively overseen by guards all the time.

For me, the access to the body would be an ordered affair. The rest of the crowd would be kept a bit further back. Any attempt to put the condemned out of their misery (whether successful or thwarted) would result in this "merciful" fool getting put to the cross too for (attempting to) perverting the course of justice.

Like Vindex, I think the St Andrew's or X-cross is the more attractive form of crucifixion. It allows the audience to enjoy the victim's body in all its suffering glory. It does need to be a low cross, of course, for maximum audience enjoyment. I agree it would have been difficult to assemble in Roman times but, hey, given our technological advances, modern executioners should be able to whip one up in no time.

Would believe Malins correct to say in the beginning “it depends” on the circumstances in this discussion. Whether the punishment was to be an event for show, or just to get the victim hung up, would dictate the level of materials and overall effort.

Relatedly, I would ask the learned ones of the site help with a question. Does the word “crux” from the original Latin actually refer to a cross (of any type), or only to an instrument of execution? The latter would support my thinking that (except for more special situations) for mere expediency crux simplex was by far the most often used method of crucifixion. Particularly outside developed areas or for military on the move.

Would believe Malins correct to say in the beginning “it depends” on the circumstances in this discussion. Whether the punishment was to be an event for show, or just to get the victim hung up, would dictate the level of materials and overall effort.

Relatedly, I would ask the learned ones of the site help with a question. Does the word “crux” from the original Latin actually refer to a cross (of any type), or only to an instrument of execution? The latter would support my thinking that (except for more special situations) for mere expediency crux simplex was by far the most often used method of crucifixion. Particularly outside developed areas or for military on the move.

It seems, from what I have read, that the most common cross used by the Romans was the "crux commissa", or tau cross in the shape of the letter T.

A couple of views of another slut,condemned to a low-crucifixion.....left to die slowly.
View attachment 921234View attachment 921235
Ideal to maximise interference from wild animals, even a Beaver could get to her beaver (even though beavers do not tend to be carnivorous they could still have a good snuffle0.
Imagine the anguish _ "Is he going to bite, oh, Lordy Lordy please do not let him bite me, not there, dear Lord not there!."

Back
Top Bottom