Manipulations by Hammers

Go to CruxDreams.com
Prisoners are shown their imminent fate.jpg
Good use of a large image in high resolution - and a neat solution to an intrusive watermark! This looks like a scene from 'Ben Hur' which now has four crux figures inserted. This shows the level of detail which can be achieved on a large canvas. Figure scale and colour saturation are consistent and in sympathy with the faded colouring of the background. Nice work, hammers! :)

I am not familiar with the original background image, showing Jesus before Pilate. Pilate sits on the steps, wearing a white toga. The figure of Jesus has been deleted in an extensive repainting of the central area of the picture. This is skilfully carried out, reconstructing the upper steps and the lower part of the entrance, and deleting two of the original figures.

Two nude figures have been inserted in the modified background. A female suspended in the entrance displays the marks of a violent whipping, and a tall, pale, slender girl rises on all fours to lift her cross from the steps. Her back is also visibly abraded by the whip, which probably accounts for the difficulty she is experiencing in shouldering the cross.

The background appears to have been enlarged from a low resolution image, and it is in soft focus as a result. I can understand the reluctance to blur the inserted figures accordingly, since they have required some effort in cutting out. But perhaps their sharp focus is appropriate since they are now the centre of attention. Nice work, Hammers! :)

I am not familiar with the original background image, showing Jesus before Pilate. Pilate sits on the steps, wearing a white toga. The figure of Jesus has been deleted in an extensive repainting of the central area of the picture. This is skilfully carried out, reconstructing the upper steps and the lower part of the entrance, and deleting two of the original figures.

Two nude figures have been inserted in the modified background. A female suspended in the entrance displays the marks of a violent whipping, and a tall, pale, slender girl rises on all fours to lift her cross from the steps. Her back is also visibly abraded by the whip, which probably accounts for the difficulty she is experiencing in shouldering the cross.

The background appears to have been enlarged from a low resolution image, and it is in soft focus as a result. I can understand the reluctance to blur the inserted figures accordingly, since they have required some effort in cutting out. But perhaps their sharp focus is appropriate since they are now the centre of attention. Nice work, Hammers! :)
Thank you Bobinder ,in first place ,for your precision in details and generously favourable comments.

The 'Double Show' title implies that the spectacle of a mass crucifixion has been combined with a chariot race, and no fewer than four crux figures have been inserted into the scene. Three of these hang on traditional crosses, whilst for the sake of variety, a fourth is spreadeagled against the fulcrum post at this end of the circuit. The distant ones defy positive identification, especially since the use of composite figures is a characteristic feature of the artist's style.

The crux figure seen in profile on the right, is closer to the viewer, and is certainly a composite, employing the body of Cruxdreams model, Jenia, with a new head. Further confirmation of her identity is provided by the presence of Makar's ropework from the source photograph, which has been included as authentic bindings. The original cross has been over-painted to disguise its woodland origins.

The background is derived from a chariot race at the Puy du Fou historical theme park in France. The Getty Images watermark has been neatly painted out, and the structure containing the spectators and stands has been deleted above the level of the barrier. A plain, blue sky has been inserted, and light clouds have been painted onto this, in fine, horizontal stokes.

hammers double show cf Makar Jenia.jpg hammers Double Show background source.jpg

The loss of the crowd seems to be a missed opportunity, unless we are witnessing a private show, away from the public gaze. But many manip artists prefer to customise the background as well as the new figures, so that the entire picture becomes a composite image, considerably transformed from the original sources.

The shadow beneath the right hand (Jenia) crux figure should fall to the right, in order to present consistent lighting with the other features in the background, which has sunlight coming from the left. Meanwhile, the figure scale and colour saturation are looking good. Well done, hammers! :)

You do great renders hammers :) and ty so much for sharing! I just wish they were larger , hard to see the detail .
Thank you very much for your appreciation. If you get a look at my older work it includes images of larger size. But ,with the time, I began to concentrate on
more complex sceneries and ,to achieve this, it was often a necessity reducing the figures' size .

Back
Top Bottom